PDA

View Full Version : Lion & TRIM for SSD's

JuicyJones
Mar 20, 2011, 05:48 PM
I'm reading all over the web that the TRIM feature has finally been added to OS X Lion, which although overdue, is a GREAT addition to this OS. I have a Samsung 256gb SSD and the firmware supports TRIM.

I'm running the 10.7 preview, (there's only one build that's currently been released to my knowledge) and when I go into "System Report" and look at the settings for my SSD I see Medium: SSD. TRIM: No.

Is there something I have to do to enable this? I have a late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.53ghz Duo Core DDR3. I'd appreciate any help anyone can give on this topic. :apple:

mrapplegate
Mar 20, 2011, 06:18 PM
I'm reading all over the web that the TRIM feature has finally been added to OS X Lion, which although overdue, is a GREAT addition to this OS. I have a Samsung 256gb SSD and the firmware supports TRIM.

I'm running the 10.7 preview, (there's only one build that's currently been released to my knowledge) and when I go into "System Report" and look at the settings for my SSD I see Medium: SSD. TRIM: No.

Is there something I have to do to enable this? I have a late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.53ghz Duo Core DDR3. I'd appreciate any help anyone can give on this topic. :apple:
I think Lion only supports Trim on their branded SSD drives.

QuarterSwede
Mar 20, 2011, 06:20 PM
I think Lion only supports Trim on their branded SSD drives.
From what I've heard that is correct.

calderone
Mar 20, 2011, 06:23 PM
Trim is in the latest 10.6.6 build 10J3210 that shipped with the new MacBook Pros and it will be in 10.6.7 as well.

bedifferent
Mar 20, 2011, 10:38 PM
Apple will be implementing TRIM support for Sandforce SSD's. Apple's SSD's are manufactured by Toshiba, and as they have been used by Apple for years support is already available. Lion will release with broader TRIM support.

axu539
Mar 20, 2011, 11:07 PM
Apple will be implementing TRIM support for Sandforce SSD's. Apple's SSD's are manufactured by Toshiba, and as they have been used by Apple for years support is already available. Lion will release with broader TRIM support.

Do you have any sources for your information? While it is probably true, and I hope for it to happen, Apple might decide it's simply easier to implement TRIM only on their own supported SSDs, since they would have to account for firmware and controllers from several different sources. Apple has gone this far without TRIM support for most drives, and with the way garbage collection is evolving, TRIM isn't really a big deal anymore anyway.

bedifferent
Mar 21, 2011, 01:27 AM
Do you have any sources for your information? While it is probably true, and I hope for it to happen, Apple might decide it's simply easier to implement TRIM only on their own supported SSDs, since they would have to account for firmware and controllers from several different sources. Apple has gone this far without TRIM support for most drives, and with the way garbage collection is evolving, TRIM isn't really a big deal anymore anyway.

Without comprising my NDA, let's just state it's been discussed on the Lion OS X developer forums.

This isn't even a beta, it's an extremely rough developer preview. There are many, many features yet to be released and refined (local snapshots being one of them).

A few developers have reported third party SSD's with TRIM support on their systems. There are many, many beta's to be released before the end of the summer.

JuicyJones
Mar 22, 2011, 12:13 PM
I really hope they get it working on 3rd party SSD's. I really can't afford to purchase one through Apple. Especially being the one I have works great.