Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
USA
Hi guys. Just wanted to make my presence known here. I'm very excited to be receiving an 11 inch MacBook Air with 128 SSD and 2 gigs of ram. I have been a long time Mac user beginning with the iBook Clamshell and then eventually upgrading to a MacBook Pro Core Duo and now a MacBook Pro i5 (previous generation). I'm now a college student and though the MacBook Pro Core Duo worked well for me in high school, being a freshman in college has completely changed my lifestyle. I'm almost always unplugged and finally need something light and small simply for word processing, PowerPoint, and the usual time-wasters like YouTube, Skype, etc. I actually almost purchased a Sony Vaio P instead of the Air but decided to stick with the Mac Platform. The Air will be a wonderful compliment to my iPhone. I actually plan on selling my MacBook Pro i5 high resolution if the MacBook Air suits my fancy.

Other than my drawn out introduction, I have a quick question... would current Air users suggest purchasing the Apple external superdrive or a drive from another manufacturer? If from another manufacturer, any suggestions? Additionally, any suggestions on a small external HD? I noticed those SLIM drives are very, very nice. I'm planning to tote my Air around with me everywhere when I ride my bike, etc. I am so excited about having the added portability. In addition to my books, the MacBook Pro 15" was really starting to hurt my back.... I will miss the "big gun" though.

One other question... I am considering installing Ubuntu Linux on an extremely small partition (10 GBs or less) simply as a quick boot-up drive for surfing the web. Any opinions about Ubuntu on the Air?

Last edited:

danielveeee

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
i sold my 15" to by a 13 mba, thought i miss it, i havent looked back..
the mba is amazing... im a college freshman too and my needs changed!

rav16

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2011
OP u said u want ubuntu for quick boot up so u can surf , but belive me and every 1 will agree the bootup time for macbook air is just amazing it just takes some seconds to boot up and also the air has instant on just up the lid and its ready to fire. let the 11 inch bad boy come in ur hands u will be amazed how amazing the bad boy is u will just enjoy every momment with it .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.