Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManiac1224

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2001
NY
Does Mac Support 5.1 digital out of the box, or do I need to buy something to make that happen? My question is becasue If i am running OS X 10.2, and I just bought a set of 5.1 Klipsch speakers, if I plug them in, will they work? Thanks again gor your help.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
so all you need is this sonica device and you can have full 5.1 dolby digital, DTS, and prologic all for $90. If macmaniac1224 has those promedia 5.1 speakers, isn't he going to need klipsch's dolby digital decoder to have true 5.1 sound from those amazing speakers?

tyler

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Yes

A short answer would be yes. OSX supports multichannel audio, although you can't hear it without something like the Sonica. The DVD player however doesn't. Even if you hooked up the Sonica from your Mac to a reciever, you wouldn't get the full 5.1 effect from a DVD. Other things like Final Cut Pro support 5.1 output, but DVDs don't. Hopefully a future version will. :)

tim.shepherd

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2002
Wellington
Apples DVD Player 3.2 _may_ out put AC3 Stream

Just a note, I confirm this this afternoon, but I noticed and AC3 stream coming out of Apples DVD player 3.2 (10.2), trying to out put over the Sonica, if I can get this Optical/Coax convertor working I will let you know.;)

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
As a note, you should be able to get pro logic from the stereo connection, as the surround information is encoded into the stereo signal. Pro Logic is awful compared to DD or DTS, as it does not supply a full bandwidth signal to the surrounds, or have a .1 channel. It might not even have a center channel.

tim.shepherd

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2002
Wellington
AC3 Stream from Apple DVD Player and ProLogic

What is really interesting is that Dolby is using ProLogic technology again, this time to bring in a center channel from the stereo image encoded in the rears, so now you can have FOUR speakers up front, Left, Right, Center and Sub. Then THREE at the Back, Left, Right and Center. You can now, with some amps get and ADDITIONAL two effects speakers for the front, so thats SIX speakers up front. ALSO you can opt for TWO center speakers at the rear. So potentially you could have up to TEN speakers. I noticed the top end Yamaha Amp has 10 amplified channels for this exact purpose. I want.
;)

For more info check out on my site, click on the menu option "My Movie Maddness".

http://homepage.mac.com/timshepherd/

PS: Theres AC3 noise comming from Apples DVD player 3.2, I haven't got the Sonic going yet with the CO3, trying it on my Cube today not the Titanium to see if its another problem. (Power or Speed requirments?)

tim.shepherd

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2002
Wellington
Yay 5.1 Out of my Mac!

I tested the Sonica running on 10.2 (Jaguar) with the following applications,

iTunes 3
VLC AC3 S/PDIF Edition 4.3
Apple DVD Player 3.2

The VLC DVD player, worked perfectly, it gave me high quallity video (double that of SVIDEO) and a Dolby Digital 5.1 AC3 stream to my amp.

OS X also provide Stereo sound over the same optical connection via the Sonica, so I got great sound from iTunes.

Apple's DVD Player 3.2 does _NOT_ support the AC3 stream, _YET_. It gave me the Prologic surround sound via the stereo track.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Re: Yay 5.1 Out of my Mac!

Originally posted by tim.shepherd
I tested the Sonica running on 10.2 (Jaguar) with the following applications,

iTunes 3
VLC AC3 S/PDIF Edition 4.3
Apple DVD Player 3.2

The VLC DVD player, worked perfectly, it gave me high quallity video (double that of SVIDEO) and a Dolby Digital 5.1 AC3 stream to my amp.

OS X also provide Stereo sound over the same optical connection via the Sonica, so I got great sound from iTunes.

Apple's DVD Player 3.2 does _NOT_ support the AC3 stream, _YET_. It gave me the Prologic surround sound via the stereo track.

In terms of the AC3 thingy, I'm not an expert but I think you can download the Sonica DVD player for free which exports 5.1 sound.

I am also looking into the 5.1 sound, I think I'll get the Logitech Z-680's and the sonica converter.

pnz999

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2002
the m-audio sonice, its has an optical and analog out but dont you need a decoder too? [that coverts your optical output into 5.1]

btw, i have a klispch 4.1 THX speakers but i think it only has two analogy jacks, 1-for front 2-for rear. do you think my 4.1 speakers will work with the sonica?

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by pnz999
the m-audio sonice, its has an optical and analog out but dont you need a decoder too? [that coverts your optical output into 5.1]

Correct.
It would have to be a reciever with an optical/toslink input, it will look much like the one on the Sonica.
I recommend one with Pro-logic II. They're usually a bit more than ones without, but they do wonders for ordinary stereo sounds (most of them anywayz, it doesn't work good on some songs I have)

Originally posted by pnz999
btw, i have a klispch 4.1 THX speakers but i think it only has two analogy jacks, 1-for front 2-for rear. do you think my 4.1 speakers will work with the sonica?

Sorry, you're going to have to get a splitter from Radio Shack or something.
If you don't have an optical input (or a coaxial which can be converted from optical) then the Sonica is pretty much useless.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: Yes

Originally posted by edvniow
A short answer would be yes. OSX supports multichannel audio, although you can't hear it without something like the Sonica. The DVD player however doesn't. Even if you hooked up the Sonica from your Mac to a reciever, you wouldn't get the full 5.1 effect from a DVD. Other things like Final Cut Pro support 5.1 output, but DVDs don't. Hopefully a future version will. :)

Why would FCP support 5.1 out when all you can do is a stereo mix?

Lethal

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Re: Re: Yay 5.1 Out of my Mac!

Originally posted by Wardofsky

In terms of the AC3 thingy, I'm not an expert but I think you can download the Sonica DVD player for free which exports 5.1 sound.

I am also looking into the 5.1 sound, I think I'll get the Logitech Z-680's and the sonica converter.

VLC is an open source DVD player with DD5.1 sound and comes with the Sonica package, although you want to download the latest.

Even for analog audio, Sonica is great. The performance boost is amazing. I never realised the on-board sound was so slow in being processed.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Yay 5.1 Out of my Mac!

Originally posted by bousozoku

VLC is an open source DVD player with DD5.1 sound and comes with the Sonica package, although you want to download the latest.

Even for analog audio, Sonica is great. The performance boost is amazing. I never realised the on-board sound was so slow in being processed.

I tried the VLC (The one with a cone thing for an icon), I put in a DVD and it didn't have the kind of ease-of-use that DVD (Apple) player had, and when I got to the movie, it seemed jittery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.