Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArchRivalNeo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Ever since the MBA came out, I really became interested in it. I've looked at different options, and the MBA Ultimate was suited for needs (heavy web browsing, word processing, viewing and editing pdfs, and light image editing) and the fact that I'd be wise to go for 4 GB RAM. The 256GB SSD is kind of a need too as I like to have that extra storage space (have lots of large documents on my current laptop).

Problem is...I already own a perfectly functioning Thinkpad SL510 that I bought last January. It's a nice machine and all, but it's heavy. I'm afraid if I buy the MBA Ultimate just because I want to, it'll become redundant as I'd just be buying it for it's portability. I'm going to school in the summer and I reckon I'll be spending a lot of time on campus (fourth year design project and all). I don't want to lug around my Thinkpad with me on campus. I would if I could...I really like my thinkpad too. I would rather not buy an iPad. More of a computer person, and a mac would be much more versatile for me.

So that got me thinking, what if I just buy the 11" MBA Ultimate? Not as expensive (the refurb model being even cheaper), and I can still go back home and keep using my Thinkpad as my primary machine. The MBA 11 would just be my go to computer.

But then a few more problems arise...what would I do once I'm done school? It would become redundant in that situation as well eventually. Plus new MBAs would come out this year and next year, and I'd end up with two older machines rather than an only primary machine. Think of it as carrying an iPad 1 and MBA 11 in an age of iPad 2 and new MBAs.

Another thing I could do is try selling my Thinkpad on Craigslist or something. How much do you think I can get for it? 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, C2D processor. I know this is a bit off topic (hope I'm not violating any Marketplace rules here)

I could also just wait it out, and buy the latest when my Thinkpad dies (likely not anytime soon :(). Then that would negate the purpose of this post too :p

I would love to save money but I don't mind spending it on quality products when I need to. And yes, I realise I think too much. But I'm a student who pays for his own expenses and I want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck and not end up with buyer's remorse just because I acted on impulse. Happened with me last year when I bought an iPad for no reason. Ended up selling it for some loss. On the other hand, I bought my thinkpad last January when my previous laptop stopped working and Futureshop said it would take a month to repair it and return. I was in school at that time and I needed a computer. I don't regret buying it now when I look back. Only times I do is when I want to buy an MBA 13 Ultimate, and realise how redundant it would be with the Thinkpad too.

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
What a boring saga........ wonder where you'll look when you have to make a real decision (like figure out what to wear in the morning).

ArchRivalNeo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
What a boring saga........ wonder where you'll look when you have to make a real decision (like figure out what to wear in the morning).

Bro...Chill. It's my money and I'd like to spend it wisely. I'm just asking for help here. If you don't have an opinion or don't want to help, at least don't be a d*ck about it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.