Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Hi guys...I am in a bit of a dilemma...

I "rather like" the MBA 13" but have a particular requirement to sometimes run dongled software under Windows (I have a Lenovo X200 for work but sometimes need to run models on 2 computers when working abroad or to do work with my own laptop when travelling).

The software vendor states a 2GHz processor as a minimum, but given that I also need OpenGL graphics and want my machine to be pretty portable for other uses (i.e. travelling), the MBA seems like a better compromise than a 13" MBP. The software vendor recommends the NVidia 300 series for graphics and the Intel built-in graphics of the 13" MBP and the ATIs in larger MBPs are not recommended. I'm assuming here that 4GB RAM will be enough to run the software under Bootcamp - its enough in Windows so please correct me if I'm being presumptuous.

Problem is that I can't really afford/justify spending £1500 on the 13" MBA Ultimate and as I type this post I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to compromise somewhere. My current Sony Vaio is 3 years old, heavy and has no battery life (and I mean no battery life - tried a cheap battery replacement but it lasted 6 months) so is not suitable as a lightweight laptop for travelling.

All advice gratefully received, even if that advice is to remain in the Dark Ages with a Sony or Toshiba!

Thanks

Last edited:

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
If it meets the minimum requirements under windows, I don't see why it wouldn't run on a Macbook Air.

Running windows on a Mac through bootcamp is exactly like running windows on a Lenovo or any other Windows computer. Windows has direct access to the hardware under bootcamp as opposed to Parallels or other VM software where the hardware is abstracted away through a couple of layers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.