Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
So I have a new base MacBook air 13".. guess I should change my sig now.
andddd I have minecraft. It feels really choppy unless I drop the settings to the lowest for everything. Even then.

Is that normal? What kind of performance do you guys get?

Unfortunately FRAPS doesn't exist for mac so I can't really tell you but I have played enough games over the years to know about what FPS I'm getting. and on high settings with far draw distance, i get about 10 or less

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
amazing how such a *****ty looking game can demand so much hardware to run smoothly.

specialbuddy

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
I haven't played minecraft on a Mac but I do know that if you hit F3, it will tell you the FPS and a bunch of other stats. I think that's why you wanted to use FRAPS. It runs very well on my desktop with a ATI 5770 and decent at high settings with my laptop running a geforce 7700. I would think that the 320M(correct me if I'm wrong) could run it. Make sure you close any youtube or Java based programs on your browser. They will not run well together. Youtube actually stops working if you play a video and the game at the same time.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
thanks for the tip, I'm not running in a browser though.

Doesn't matter, quit your browsers while playing. Java is java, and if you're running the standalone Minecraft client and have a few tabs open in your browser, it's likely that's hogging a bit of your resources.

I find your situation a bit odd as I run Minecraft fullscreen with view distance on Normal, graphics on Fancy, and have the better lighting enabled and it's smooth as butter, 60fps+ even. I have an ultimate 11".

Just note that you're not going to be able to use the "Far" view distance on these computers smoothly. it's just too much of a resource hog mainly due to how Minecraft is written.

:edit: also, you can see your FPS by holding the "fn" key and F3 at the same time.

I recommend just using "Normal" view distance and everything else maxed, you should see perfect framerates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.