Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hssky97

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Hey everybody! I am repairing an IPT 3rd gen's battery and one of the board's solder panels for the battery isn't there!
(see comparison between the right solder panel (Red) and the left ones (Blue) in pic) Somebody please help me! I need advice and quick! :(

ipt3bat.png

hssky97

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
1. Get a camera with a macro function.
2. Have you tried iFixit.com ?

Yes, I know my camera is quite crappy:D . iFixit hasn't helped much, all they are really showing is all of the solder panels. My question is do I re-apply more solder, what can I do about it or is it just fine?

phantax

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2009
Yes, I know my camera is quite crappy:D . iFixit hasn't helped much, all they are really showing is all of the solder panels. My question is do I re-apply more solder, what can I do about it or is it just fine?

Try to apply more solder if there is something for it to stick to.

If the pad / layer has been completely ripped off the board, the only other options would be:

1) Find the trace the pad normally connects to, scrape off some laquer and re-attach to your new point.

2) Replace the whole board.

hssky97

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Try to apply more solder if there is something for it to stick to.

If the pad / layer has been completely ripped off the board, the only other options would be:

1) Find the trace the pad normally connects to, scrape off some laquer and re-attach to your new point.

2) Replace the whole board.

Can't find the original pad, can't replace the whole entire board either. Oh well, we'll see how this works out. I'll give the results when I'm done soldering. Anyone else have suggestions :confused:

tschuyler

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2013
what about the test points?

Hey everybody! I am repairing an IPT 3rd gen's battery and one of the board's solder panels for the battery isn't there!
(see comparison between the right solder panel (Red) and the left ones (Blue) in pic) Somebody please help me! I need advice and quick! :(

It looks like there are test copper points right near these pads. I did the same thing and lifted one of the outside pads and not the middle. What I am wondering is which test pad to solder too? There seem to be two above the left and right and only one above the middle.

Has anyone tried this and/or do you have a schematic of the alternate solder points?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.