PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air startup slower after OS X10.6.7 combo update

iNotion
Mar 21, 2011, 07:55 PM
My Macbook air is significantly slower after OS X 10.6.7.

I have restarted twice... run both Clean my mac and OnyX software.

Anyone experienced it too?

dirtypancakes
Mar 21, 2011, 08:13 PM
No, you are not alone, 10.6.7 ruins performance of the 2010 Macbook Airs.
Steam games are not unplayable. Apple let this update cook all this time and did not check this.
Quality Control is definitely slipping. SMH

KPOM
Mar 21, 2011, 08:27 PM
I noticed startup time was the same. I don't game, so I can't speak to FPS rates. However, note that sometimes after a major update it takes a few restarts for reboot times to get back to normal.

Cheffy Dave
Mar 21, 2011, 08:30 PM
No, you are not alone, 10.6.7 ruins performance of the 2010 Macbook Airs.
Steam games are not unplayable. Apple let this update cook all this time and did not check this.
Quality Control is definitely slipping. SMH

Well, it blue screened my 2007 Black Mac Book, removed it, restored through TM, back to normal, Thanks Apple for wasting my evening:mad:

Beaverman3001
Mar 21, 2011, 08:30 PM
No issues at all with start time and playing WoW, can't comment on steam games.

BENJMNS
Mar 21, 2011, 09:01 PM
10.6.6. and other updates increased startup times but over time it went back to normal. at ease, fellas.

iNotion
Mar 21, 2011, 09:13 PM
I saw this "kernel_task" hovering on top of my Activity Monitor....

Is that the culprit?

KPOM
Mar 21, 2011, 09:29 PM
I saw this "kernel_task" hovering on top of my Activity Monitor....

Is that the culprit?

I don't see it on mine.

slapguts
Mar 21, 2011, 10:23 PM
Full restart still takes 17 seconds, same as before for me.

munkees
Mar 21, 2011, 11:01 PM
same as before 11 seconds,

however my MBA is about 3 days old, and has not had the chance yet to get complicated settings.

my wife's MBP blue screened with the update, but after a forced reboot, and a little patience, all is well.

dlamin517
Mar 22, 2011, 12:10 AM
same as before 11 seconds,

however my MBA is about 3 days old, and has not had the chance yet to get complicated settings.

my wife's MBP blue screened with the update, but after a forced reboot, and a little patience, all is well.

how are you getting 11 seconds? i get about 21-22 seconds on my ine. using a 1.4ghz 2gb ram mba

munkees
Mar 22, 2011, 01:37 AM
how are you getting 11 seconds? i get about 21-22 seconds on my ine. using a 1.4ghz 2gb ram mba

I have not add to much to it, just iworks 9, aperture 3, some weather hd, and a small photo app.

I do not store data on this, I use this computer for mobile purposes and away from home, every thing else is transferred to my iMac, and backed up, though I do keep a time machine just incase something goes wrong.

my MBA is 1.6 4GB.

kislawa
Mar 22, 2011, 01:40 AM
it ruins my boot time as well. Before on 10.6.6 was about 12 to 14 sec now is about 30 - 40 sec ;/

I have a 11 ultimate

kamuix
Mar 22, 2011, 01:57 AM
macbook air 13" late base after update runs just fine. no blue screens or slower boot time. seems just the same pre and post update. the file size on mine was about 312 mb. i hear some other peoples updates are larger depending on year of mba.

ranjitb
Mar 22, 2011, 03:45 AM
The slower boot times after the update could be due to the cache being flushed out when the new update was applied, if that is the case after rebooting your MBA 2-3 times the boot times should improve as the cache should be rebuilt.

kislawa
Mar 22, 2011, 03:56 AM
i reboot my air about 20 times and still no improvment. Run onyx and no difference

kislawa
Mar 22, 2011, 04:56 AM
PRAM reset helps a little bit, now boot time is about 20 - 30 sec, but it still isn't quick as before

iNotion
Mar 22, 2011, 04:59 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Update: after numerous restarting, and using cleanmymac, my startup is faster or more or less like before.

Stingray454
Mar 22, 2011, 05:27 AM
I've heard that rebuilding the boot-cache can take much more than 2-3 boots, more like 20-30 or so. Installing a new OS version will very likely clear the boot cache, so I'm guessing this is where most of your problems are coming from. Just continue to use your computer as you always do and it will be back to normal soon :)

will0407
Mar 22, 2011, 06:40 AM
when my boot was slow, i ran this on my 11" air:

sudo chown root:admin /
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

put your password in (it doesn't type the characters so make sure you do it right), hit return and see what happens!

cnixon
Mar 22, 2011, 07:13 AM

put your password in (it doesn't type the characters so make sure you do it right), hit return and see what happens!

Did this same thing last night. Boot time went from 35 seconds to 13 seconds. I have no idea in Hell what it does though. Just found it on a message board.

will0407
Mar 22, 2011, 07:21 AM
Did this same thing last night. Boot time went from 35 seconds to 13 seconds. I have no idea in Hell what it does though. Just found it on a message board.

Yeah, i found it by accident- I was just browsing the MBA forum and found someone that said they're boot was slow. Someone suggested that, did it to mine and now my air is rapid at booting!

I've been emailing anyone I know with a mac to do it! Something to do with the start up file the laptop reads from I think. I did read about it but can't remember it now.

GekkePrutser
Mar 22, 2011, 07:23 AM
Yeah, i found it by accident- I was just browsing the MBA forum and found someone that said they're boot was slow. Someone suggested that, did it to mine and now my air is rapid at booting!

I've been emailing anyone I know with a mac to do it! Something to do with the start up file the laptop reads from I think. I did read about it but can't remember it now.

That basically forces a rebuild of the extension cache, so that's probably why it makes it faster, so it doesn't have to do it at the next boot time.

The ownership of the root directory (the chown command) should already be set that way but it could cause problems if it isn't so maybe it was included just in case.

I thought the installer always does this too, anyway. But apparently not.

Boston007
Mar 22, 2011, 07:35 AM
That basically forces a rebuild of the extension cache, so that's probably why it makes it faster, so it doesn't have to do it at the next boot time.

The ownership of the root directory (the chown command) should already be set that way but it could cause problems if it isn't so maybe it was included just in case.

I thought the installer always does this too, anyway. But apparently not.

The real question is if these generally solves the problems, as well as rebuilding the cache, why doesn't Apple just force this on all installs from the update? I mean we all have to enter our system password anyways?

KPOM
Mar 22, 2011, 07:45 AM
it ruins my boot time as well. Before on 10.6.6 was about 12 to 14 sec now is about 30 - 40 sec ;/

I have a 11 ultimate

The first reboot was slow, but it's back to 15 seconds on my Ultimate 11. For what it's worth, I downloaded the 475MB file from the website onto a USB key and installed it from there, rather than use Software Update.

ZipZap
Mar 22, 2011, 08:35 AM
There is a firmware update an other updates on the Apple site for MBA. Could not having these installed be an issue?

KPOM
Mar 22, 2011, 08:40 AM
If you use Software Update the firmware updates should already be installed. The EFI 2.0 update a while back was for an earlier display-related wake-from-sleep issue.

shstiger2009
Mar 22, 2011, 08:52 AM

I was coming to post this.

Type your password AFTER the first command (sudo...) and then run the 2nd and 3rd. You have to wait for it to run though, it might take 10-20 seconds. If you try to close Terminal and it says things are still running, don't close it. It should close without any message meaning the commands are already completed running.

This will fix your bootup time, 99.9% guaranteed. :rolleyes:

DarwinOSX
Mar 22, 2011, 01:20 PM
No problem's with boot or running source games or anything else.

BENJMNS
Mar 22, 2011, 01:26 PM
try loading itunes

DarwinOSX
Mar 22, 2011, 02:01 PM
try loading itunes

Well iTunes freezes my MBA. I was running it this morning without any problems. Did pram reset now going to run the usual suspects of disk utilities. May have to remove iTunes prefs as well.

DarwinOSX
Mar 22, 2011, 02:20 PM
I held down the shift key during startup to boot into safe mode. Ran permissions repair from disk utility. iTunes works fine now.

BENJMNS
Mar 22, 2011, 04:07 PM
I held down the shift key during startup to boot into safe mode. Ran permissions repair from disk utility. iTunes works fine now.

:apple:

dudeofswim
Apr 9, 2011, 04:14 PM

Type your password AFTER the first command (sudo...) and then run the 2nd and 3rd. You have to wait for it to run though, it might take 10-20 seconds. If you try to close Terminal and it says things are still running, don't close it. It should close without any message meaning the commands are already completed running.

Yes! It works! I tried safe mode, clearing junk, removing login items, my boot time was 25-30 seconds. Now my restart time to wallpaper is ~16 seconds.
This is the solution, unless your hardware is bad :)

RichyB
Apr 9, 2011, 04:53 PM
Since the update my mba has been slightly sluggish. Moving between spaces there is a jerkyness that wasn't present before and scrolling in webpages also seems to be effected.

Chopstick217
Apr 16, 2011, 02:12 AM

I had boot up times close to 30 seconds. After doing the above, it is now back to normal :) Thank you!

nicknich3
May 21, 2012, 12:22 AM
Super. The three sudo commands on the cache cleared up my sluggishness totally on my original model MBA. Thanks.