Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vbaskar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Hi All : This will be my first Mac and i want to get a refurbished one to start with.

I am debating between these models and have couple of questions..Thanks in advance for your help

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo : $1019
Vs
Refurbished MacBook Air 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Mid Oct 10 Version) $1529

a) Can we extend the memory for these two upto 8gb ? (or atleast 6gb which are recognized by apple)
b) In terms of comfort which is the preferred one
c) being a first time what is your suggestion..

Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
a) Only the MBP's RAM can be upgraded later to up to 8GB, the MBA has to b bought with either the 2GB or 4GB and is not user upgradeable at all.
b) MBA
c) Depends on your computational needs.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
c) Depends on your computational needs.

Agree with this completely. It really depends on what you want to use it for. A month ago, i was asking myself the same question. My answer just came to down to what I intended to do with it. I decided I wanted something a bit more powerful and something that was upgradeable, as well.

I ended up getting the refurb 2.66 @$1019 and I haven't looked back. And, in terms of comfort it's definitely not as light as the MBA, but it feels a lot lighter than my 2008 BlackBook.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
I had a MBP 15, sold it and got the MBA 11. That was too weak, so I sold that and picked up the refurb MBA 13 Ultimate. PS CS5 works great. I'll never get a MBP again until they lose the Superdrive.

Go for the MBA. I highly doubt you'll be disappointed.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Agree with this completely. It really depends on what you want to use it for. A month ago, i was asking myself the same question. My answer just came to down to what I intended to do with it. I decided I wanted something a bit more powerful and something that was upgradeable, as well.

I ended up getting the refurb 2.66 @$1019 and I haven't looked back. And, in terms of comfort it's definitely not as light as the MBA, but it feels a lot lighter than my 2008 BlackBook.

i think the mba is a good choice for you...but consdier a 13" with 128 HD to save some serious bucks...

but the refurb 2.66 at 1019 my be the best buy in macbooks online right now and would also be a good choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.