PDA

View Full Version : MBA Vs MBP Refurbished

vbaskar
Mar 22, 2011, 12:39 AM
Hi All : This will be my first Mac and i want to get a refurbished one to start with.

I am debating between these models and have couple of questions..Thanks in advance for your help

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo : $1019
Vs
Refurbished MacBook Air 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Mid Oct 10 Version) $1529

a) Can we extend the memory for these two upto 8gb ? (or atleast 6gb which are recognized by apple)
b) In terms of comfort which is the preferred one
c) being a first time what is your suggestion..

Thanks

simsaladimbamba
Mar 22, 2011, 12:42 AM
a) Only the MBP's RAM can be upgraded later to up to 8GB, the MBA has to b bought with either the 2GB or 4GB and is not user upgradeable at all.
b) MBA
c) Depends on your computational needs.

Apple OC
Mar 22, 2011, 12:46 AM
save $500 ... IMO the Air is not worth an extra 500

Moyank24
Mar 22, 2011, 12:49 AM
c) Depends on your computational needs.

Agree with this completely. It really depends on what you want to use it for. A month ago, i was asking myself the same question. My answer just came to down to what I intended to do with it. I decided I wanted something a bit more powerful and something that was upgradeable, as well.

I ended up getting the refurb 2.66 @$1019 and I haven't looked back. And, in terms of comfort it's definitely not as light as the MBA, but it feels a lot lighter than my 2008 BlackBook.

eg2007
Mar 22, 2011, 02:04 AM
I had a MBP 15, sold it and got the MBA 11. That was too weak, so I sold that and picked up the refurb MBA 13 Ultimate. PS CS5 works great. I'll never get a MBP again until they lose the Superdrive.

Go for the MBA. I highly doubt you'll be disappointed.

Buck987
Mar 22, 2011, 07:57 AM
Agree with this completely. It really depends on what you want to use it for. A month ago, i was asking myself the same question. My answer just came to down to what I intended to do with it. I decided I wanted something a bit more powerful and something that was upgradeable, as well.

I ended up getting the refurb 2.66 @$1019 and I haven't looked back. And, in terms of comfort it's definitely not as light as the MBA, but it feels a lot lighter than my 2008 BlackBook.

i think the mba is a good choice for you...but consdier a 13" with 128 HD to save some serious bucks...

but the refurb 2.66 at 1019 my be the best buy in macbooks online right now and would also be a good choice.