Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steller

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
Hi guys,
I know there must be some programs for mac that can do photo-editing which is better than photoshop for windows. I am wondering if you can tell me which programs they are? Thanks

oldpismo

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
UK
The Gimp is good, it's what I use, but I would say that it's not as good as photoshop. It is free though.

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
There aren't any differences that I am aware of on the Windows version of Photoshop and the Mac version of Photoshop. You say "there must be something better" ...erm what do you want it to do that it can't? Photoshop is used by many if not all graphic/photographic professionals, maybe theres a feature that you want but don't know is there? If you ask, maybe someone can help you.

Incase you are thinking of buying Photoshop, Adobe will be releasing the Creative Suite 2.0 in the coming months/weeks. It will definately be out within the first half of the year. (I think they said first quarter?)

Anyway my point is that you don't really want to be dropping that kind of money on an app suite thats just gonna be updated. BUT as soon as they announce a release date they should give you the update for free. Thats what happened the last time, you bought the current apps and they had a sticker on the box saying that you were entitled to the new version and that it would be shipped out to you.

cyanide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
cheaper than PS and a give and take of features is macromedia fireworks. they aren't really meant to do the same job, but you can accomplish many of the same, and some different things.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
are they the same revisions of ps, for the mac and pc? I mean will the version i have on my windows machine work on a mac that i might get?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
jer446 said:
I mean will the version i have on my windows machine work on a mac that i might get?
PC and Mac apps are totally different. You need a Mac version for Mac, just as you need the Windows version for PCs (running Windows of course :p)

DanTekGeek

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Denver, CO
being a long time gimp fan, I finally broke down and bought phothoshop cs. GIMP doesnt come anywhere close to photoshop. trust me....and everyone else.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
When Apple produce a photo-editing package that can support layer masks, 16-bit CMYK, actions, spot channels, as well as colour management... give me a call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.