Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jim.ryan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Hey,

I've had my MBA for two weeks now, and I haven't been thrilled with the battery life. I read lots of reviews that said they were getting 5 - 8 hours of battery life. I discovered that Flash consumed lots of CPU, and hurt battery life, so I've disabled Flash everywhere (I click to enable it, and never do). I'm still not getting great battery life. I haven't had the opportunity to sit down and use it until the battery was dead since disabling Flash to get a good indication of battery life, but it looks like I'm only getting around 4-5 hours. This is with minimal CPU usage, basic web browsing, LCD brightness three bars from the highest setting.

Is this consistent with what everyone else is getting? I just want to make sure my battery isn't defective before it's too late.

Again, this is a maxed out 13" MBA with 10.6.6 (haven't done the 10.6.7 update yet, been seeing mixed reviews).

Thanks,
Jim

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
What GGJstudios said. The 13" MBA has a rated battery life at 7 hours with half the screen brightness. With the brightness 3 bars from the highest, 4-5 hours seems like an accurate result.

Try using the screen at half brightness with basic web-browsing tasks, you should get around that 7 hour mark.

Windowsrefugee

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Microsoft Land
In addition to disabling Flash and turning your brightness down, your battery life may be shorter if using WiFi. If I turn off Flash and WiFi and turn brightness down to less than 50% then I can get more than 8 hours. If you are not surfing the Web while unplugged (say while on a plane), then you may be able to afford to turn WiFi off. Just a thought. Overall, I have been very pleased with the battery life since I got my 13" MBA ultimate ~4 months ago.

UmbraClaw

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2010
I've actually been very impressed with my 13"Air-Ulti with regards to the battery life. I mostly get 7-8 hours from mine, and that's with ~70 tabs open in safari, as well as word, pages, stickies, xcode, mail and preview open at all times. Screen brightness is at 3 from min mostly, and wifi is always on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.