PDA

View Full Version : Lost My Lion Password

Coco.Canada
Mar 22, 2011, 04:17 PM
Ok Im new to this whole thing so forgive me if I've posted in the wrong area or anything like that. When I first setup my mac I apparently typed in my password wrong... twice. So now I cant install a bunch of things or make changes becuase I dont have the password. I tried to setup a new user account using terminal and it seems to be working fine until I hit enter after the AppleSetupComplete thing... it says something like no such file or directory found. When I try to boot it up normally it doenst do anything. The little spinny thing sits there until it gets too hot and I turn it off. Any ideas on how to fix this? I cant get to my install disk for 2 weeks.. which just wont work. Thank You!!

simsaladimbamba
Mar 22, 2011, 04:20 PM
Maybe this can help: http://www.macyourself.com/2009/08/03/how-to-reset-your-mac-os-x-password-without-an-installer-disc/
via https://encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1320&bih=806&q=mac+reset+password+without+cd+dvd&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Coco.Canada
Mar 22, 2011, 04:50 PM
I tried that, and it worked until it reached ls /users. Its saying unknown subcommand when I hit enter. Thanx Anyways :(

mrapplegate
Mar 22, 2011, 05:09 PM
Ok Im new to this whole thing so forgive me if I've posted in the wrong area or anything like that. When I first setup my mac I apparently typed in my password wrong... twice. So now I cant install a bunch of things or make changes becuase I dont have the password. I tried to setup a new user account using terminal and it seems to be working fine until I hit enter after the AppleSetupComplete thing... it says something like no such file or directory found. When I try to boot it up normally it doenst do anything. The little spinny thing sits there until it gets too hot and I turn it off. Any ideas on how to fix this? I cant get to my install disk for 2 weeks.. which just wont work. Thank You!!

What does booting into the recovery partition do? Can you reset the admin password there?

alixthedark
Mar 28, 2011, 08:41 PM
1. Power on or restart your Mac.

2. At the chime (or grey screen if your chime is turned off), hold down Command+S on your keyboard to enter single-user mode.

3. Type mount -uw / and press Enter.

4. Type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist and press Enter.

5. Type ls /Users and press Enter. This lists all of the usernames on the computer – helpful if you don’t know or remember what these are.

6. Type dscl . -passwd /Users/username password and replace “username” with one of the users displayed in the previous step. Replace “password” with a new password of your choice. Press Enter.
Type reboot and press Enter.

sorry for double post.

If that doesnt work you could also do this.

1. Power on or restart your Mac.

2. At the chime (or grey screen if your chime is turned off), hold down Command+S on your keyboard to enter single-user mode.

3. Type mount -uw / and press Enter.

4. Type cd /var/db/ and press Enter.

5. Making sure that this file is there, then you can delete it by typing "rm ./.AppleSetupDone" or move it to the root of your hard drive for safekeeping by typing "mv ./.AppleSetupDone /"