PDA

View Full Version : Possible to install & use Mail.app from Lion with SL?

VirtualRain
Mar 22, 2011, 07:45 PM
Is it possible to try the new mail.app on snow leopard? Has anyone done this? Any speculation as to whether it would even run?

larkost
Mar 22, 2011, 09:40 PM
The built-in app in MacOS X almost always are built against the API for that version of MacOS X, so will not run on previous versions.

IIeBoy
Mar 30, 2011, 12:10 AM
The built-in app in MacOS X almost always are built against the API for that version of MacOS X, so will not run on previous versions.

Might there be any way around that? Has anyone actually tested this?

aardwolf
Mar 30, 2011, 10:49 AM
I'll check... I have Lion on my MacBook Pro, and was just now Googling wanting to use Mail 5 on my Mac Pro. Replying after I can get it copied over.

aardwolf
Mar 30, 2011, 11:01 AM
Nope... sorry. "You have Mac OS X 10.6.7. The application requires Mac OS X 10.7 or later."

Cougarcat
Mar 30, 2011, 06:43 PM
Nope... sorry. "You have Mac OS X 10.6.7. The application requires Mac OS X 10.7 or later."

It might be possible to edit the plist file to bypass the version check. Doubt it would function properly, though.

aardwolf
Mar 30, 2011, 06:49 PM
It might be possible to edit the plist file to bypass the version check. Doubt it would function properly, though.

I tried... It still didn't work. It's akin to trying to run an iOS app in OS X.

IIeBoy
Mar 30, 2011, 11:23 PM
That's a real bummer but thanks anyway for trying. I'm just concerned Lion isn't stable enough to use yet as it stands.

When is the next beta version due?

calderone
Mar 31, 2011, 12:29 AM
That's a real bummer but thanks anyway for trying. I'm just concerned Lion isn't stable enough to use yet as it stands.

When is the next beta version due?

But Mail is? Lol.

IIeBoy
Mar 31, 2011, 12:40 AM
One slightly unstable but irresistible new app is better than a whole beta OS.

roadbloc
Mar 31, 2011, 03:33 AM

That would be because it is a developer preview. Why not just wait until Lion is released?

IIeBoy
Mar 31, 2011, 01:39 PM
roadbloc, it's not uncommon for people to get excited about Apple products before they are released. That's why!