Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DockMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Could the iPad 2 Smart Cover magnets pose a potential threat to electronic devices, such as the iPhone. Would I be able to place my iPhone on top of the my iPad 2 with a Smart Cover?

I guess, more generally, are the Smart Cover magnets strong enough to damage ram, hard drives, and other electro-magnetic components?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
No. Yes. No.

RAM isn't affected by magnets, at least not the kind in stuff we can buy. Maybe some industrial superconducting MRI or particle-collider level, but not a smart cover.

Blackberry phones have survived just fine with RIM using magnets in the phone holsters/cases to trigger the sleep sensor in the phone.

No hard drive in your iPhone or ipad. Again you'd need MUCH bigger magnets to affect a hard drive in a computer. Macbook Pro's have magnets in the screen edge and they don't bother the hard drive.

You can find a LOT more info and discussion at this link: http://tinyurl.com/4q46umx

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Could the iPad 2 Smart Cover magnets pose a potential threat to electronic devices, such as the iPhone. Would I be able to place my iPhone on top of the my iPad 2 with a Smart Cover?

I guess, more generally, are the Smart Cover magnets strong enough to damage ram, hard drives, and other electro-magnetic components?

Why don't you give it a try?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.