PDA

View Full Version : Mini Port Disaster

numediaman
Feb 24, 2005, 03:27 PM
I knew this was going to happen eventually.

None of my externals will work unless plugged directly into the mini. None of my hubs, the fw or usb coming from the ACD. Now what do I do?

I can't use any hubs on this damn thing -- that means I would have to plug everything in and unplug it work.

This mini really, really sucks. Apple needs to fix these ports.

keysersoze
Feb 24, 2005, 03:35 PM

None of my externals will work unless plugged directly into the mini. None of my hubs, the fw or usb coming from the ACD. Now what do I do?

I can't use any hubs on this damn thing -- that means I would have to plug everything in and unplug it work.

This mini really, really sucks. Apple needs to fix these ports.

What OS are you on... 10.3.8?

That update screwed up my USB ports. I have to re-plug in my ipod everytime to get it noticed by the computer.

numediaman
Feb 24, 2005, 04:32 PM
Yes, out of desperation I will reload the original OS and see if that improves things.

But mini owners beware -- I've just got off the phone with Apple (not the primary level of support, but the next higher) and the news is definitely not good. Basically they are saying that there is a port issue here. The only answer they could give me was take it in to be repaired and hope they replace it.

What I want is a new computer -- not a mini. The mini should work fine for those who want to put next to the TV, or those who don't use any external equipment. But if you use more than one FW device you will find that eventually your mini will fail. You have been warned.

AtHomeBoy_2000
Feb 24, 2005, 04:51 PM
Is the problem with the Mini just Firewire or is it a USB hub problem as well. If it is a USB problem as well, they just lost me. I need more than one USB port (the port left once you plug in a keyboard). I was planning on buying a MIni, but that scares me a bit.

numediaman
Feb 24, 2005, 05:35 PM
Hey, anybody want a mini?

I went ahead and did a reinstall of the operating system to bring it back down to 10.3.7. No luck.

The USB ports are flakey, but generally OK. The FW port is completely a joke. I can plug one item into it and it will function -- or I can plug the ACD FW cord in and get use of my iSight and the HD. But add anything else and the whole thing dies. That means I have two burners that are of no use with the mini.

That means I will be forced to take the thing in -- they will tear it apart and put in a new logic board and then return it (many weeks later) and who knows what happens after that. What a joke.

yg17
Feb 24, 2005, 05:44 PM
Don't be that hard on Apple. It is impossible for them to guarantee that every single computer that rolls off the assembly line will be flawless. There's always one computer that has some problems, and you seem to be the lucky owner of it. Just let them fix/replace it under warranty and you should be all set.

Lancetx
Feb 24, 2005, 06:09 PM
I can't speak for the FireWire port, but on my Dad's mini, he has 4 USB devices connected via a powered hub into one of the mini's USB ports and everything works just fine. Maybe you just got a bad system, it happens sometimes unfortunately.

sandman42
Feb 24, 2005, 06:16 PM
I have an Asante USB hub that I've used with an iMac DV, my G3 iBook, and now with my Mini. Works fine. It's only USB 1.0 though; don't have any USB 2.0 hardware.

I was planning on getting a FW hub -- has anyone tried one that they know works? For that matter, is the original poster's problem intrinsic to the Mini, or did he/she get a defective one? The fact that Apple suggested taking the computer in to be repaired suggests that this problem may be due to a failure, rather than a design flaw.

dejo
Feb 24, 2005, 06:30 PM

Whew. Talk about a self-fulfilling prophecy...

Mechcozmo
Feb 24, 2005, 06:53 PM
What I want is a new computer -- not a mini. The mini should work fine for those who want to put next to the TV, or those who don't use any external equipment. But if you use more than one FW device you will find that eventually your mini will fail. You have been warned.

Wow, Apple said they would fix it and you say you want them to replace it. Look, you bitch to Apple "Get me a new one" they will laugh at you and say "Sorry but here is your fixed computer."

Just realize that NOT EVERY COMPUTER IS GUARANTEED TO WORK. We have 5 Macs in the family. 1 of them had an issue. It was fixed, no big deal. Apple's overall rate is (according to Consumer reports) 14% which is nearly 5% LESS THAN the next company.

Sorry but you don't have my sympathy.

I have an Asante USB hub that I've used with an iMac DV, my G3 iBook, and now with my Mini. Works fine. It's only USB 1.0 though; don't have any USB 2.0 hardware.

I was planning on getting a FW hub -- has anyone tried one that they know works? For that matter, is the original poster's problem intrinsic to the Mini, or did he/she get a defective one? The fact that Apple suggested taking the computer in to be repaired suggests that this problem may be due to a failure, rather than a design flaw.

BTW, it is USB 1.1 because 1.0 is 5 Mbps, 1.1 was 11 Mbps, and 2.0 is ~480 Mbps. Just letting you know...

The original poster's issue seems to be and issue with that unit.
There are a number of FW hubs. Make sure you get a powered one (most if not all are). 4 ports should be good.

numediaman
Feb 24, 2005, 07:18 PM
The reason I wrote that "I knew this would happen" was because I have experienced related problems with this mini from day one -- not because I'm negative.

One thing I have noticed, however, is the attitude of Mac people when it comes to problems. Look at the responses above -- the problems is yours, we don't want to hear about it -- yet you hang out at a forum where people discuss hardware issues. Amazing.

ravenvii
Feb 24, 2005, 07:25 PM
Firewire ports too, huh?

(Despairs as he wonders how his Mac mini will be)

... Why did I have to break the No-Rev. A-Product rule? WHY?

(Does every religious prayer and chants known to ask that his Mac mini be perfect)

blackfox
Feb 24, 2005, 07:34 PM
sorry to hear about your luck numedia...I hope you take it in and your problems are resolved quickly.

Do report back, will ya? I hate to ask you to be my guinea-pig as it were, but I am debating buying a mini in the next couple of months, and I'd like to know what I am getting myself into (ie whether this is a design-flaw or isolated instance(s). )

Btw, nice to see you around. Haven't seen you in the PF for dog's years...I guess we are so 2003...

Mechcozmo
Feb 25, 2005, 09:27 AM
One thing I have noticed, however, is the attitude of Mac people when it comes to problems. Look at the responses above -- the problems is yours, we don't want to hear about it -- yet you hang out at a forum where people discuss hardware issues. Amazing.

We are generally helpful. For me it was when you wanted Apple to replace, rather than repair, your Mini. That was, for me, an unreasonable thing to ask. If you want to ask unreasonable things, then I'm not going to help you. If you were to have let Apple repair it and STILL have issues, then I would have been more helpful and MAY have suggested a replacement-- but BTW, after 3 repairs it does get replaced (if it goes like the G3 Logic Boards did)

Lord Blackadder
Feb 25, 2005, 10:11 AM
The reason I wrote that "I knew this would happen" was because I have experienced related problems with this mini from day one -- not because I'm negative.

I'm not sure why you want the whole thing replaced - it's possible that you got a bad logic board to begin with. If that's the case, a repair (logic board swap) should solve the problem. I'm curious as to what Apple told you regarding the Mini having "issues". Could you be more specific on that?

My brother has a mini with multiple devices hooked up to a USB hub, no issues yet (though we haven't tried that with the firewire ports).

za9ra22
Feb 25, 2005, 10:56 AM

Well, the problem is that your comments infer that ALL Mac minis are problematic and are going to fail, hence you get a lot of people who think otherwise. Your problem is clearly real enough, what I think many object to is the conslusion you draw from it.

Take my example. I have a 1.25 mini with 512RAM. - nothing else, nothing special. I have 6 USB devices plugged into it a Belkin USB2.0 hub and Apple Extended II keyboard via Griffin iMate directly into the mini, and external CD-RW, scanner, printer and Logitec mouse into the hub. They all work fine. Occasionally I plug an eyeTV into the hub instead of the scanner. That works fine too. No problems. On the FW port, I have 2 external HDs daisychained, and a Sony DV camcorder. All work as I expect and without problems.

Does the fact my mini works and yours doesn't mean that you, personally, are wrong and your mini is fine? No. Does the fact your mini is faulty mean that mine is? Equally no.

The reason why people get frustrated with comments of the sort that you have made is that however much the frustration of a failed system is understandable, the resultant 'attack' on the platform as a whole isn't justified or logical.

andiwm2003
Feb 25, 2005, 11:39 AM
We are generally helpful. For me it was when you wanted Apple to replace, rather than repair, your Mini. That was, for me, an unreasonable thing to ask. If you want to ask unreasonable things, then I'm not going to help you. If you were to have let Apple repair it and STILL have issues, then I would have been more helpful and MAY have suggested a replacement-- but BTW, after 3 repairs it does get replaced (if it goes like the G3 Logic Boards did)

there are some other threads where people were flamed because they did not demand a new machine. they were blamed for all time delays and whatever because they were trying to get it repaired. they were told to never accept a machine with a problem, ask immediately for a replacement. one example is JOSH's thread about "My iMac G5: Unaccaptable!" or polyesterlester's "8 Months with an unusable iMac G4. Help! ".

Now you say it's unreasonable to ask for a new machine. try to get it repaired first.

so what are people with bad macs supposed to do: repair or replace?

Mechcozmo
Feb 26, 2005, 12:25 AM
so what are people with bad macs supposed to do: repair or replace?

Depends on the severity. Personally, I'd let Apple have a swing at it first. That would also be their first choice (and they have a right to it, BTW). If it came back, still not working, I would tell them that it was still not working and I wasn't very happy because I need the computer for whatever purpose I need it for. I'd make sure the Apple people knew this. If it came back again broken, I would say "Look, you've had your chance. The computer isn't working. Can you just give me a new one and repair it on your own time?" My PowerBook had to be repaired. It was annoying, yes. But I did not demand a new PowerBook.

The cases that you showed were regrettable. If my Mac had not been working (hardware wise) for a month, and I had been in contact with Apple, I would be sure to talk to them but make sure that I would stay polite. I think that was the main reason why my PowerBook was fixed so fast (Shipped in on Monday, came back on a Thursday). I just was polite and did whatever I needed to.

The original poster demanded a new Mini without considering a replacement. Firstly, Apple has no legal obligation to do this. They only have to repair it. Secondly, they are offering to do this. They are admitting they made a mistake and want to fix it but by demanding they do better than that-- that just isn't right, in my eyes. They realized they did something wrong and they realized they needed to fix it. So, they offered to. If they were unable to fix it, then it is OK to request NOT DEMAND that it be replaced. But they made the first step in trying to fix things.

If you don't accept their apology, their offer to fix the computer, then don't complain to me because Apple offered to help you and you didn't want their help.
That is how I see it.

Peyote
Mar 1, 2005, 01:40 PM
Using a USB 1.1 hub with my Mini....no problems thus far

andiwm2003
Mar 1, 2005, 02:11 PM
Depends on the severity. Personally, I'd let Apple have a swing at it first. That would also be their first choice (and they have a right to it, BTW). ........................
The cases that you showed were regrettable. .................................................... I just was polite and did whatever I needed to.

........................................If they were unable to fix it, then it is OK to request NOT DEMAND that it be replaced. But they made the first step in trying to fix things.

i agree that one has to give apple the first swing and one always should be polite.
i'm just wondering because for some people it seems to be the successful (meaning fast) strategy to "immediately demand a new machine", for others the "try repair first" seems to work better.

so far i was lucky with all my macs, never needed a repair.

but just in case i try to figure out what strategy will be the best if my next mac (an imac G5) has problems.

andi

stevep
Mar 2, 2005, 08:00 AM
In the UK our consumer law entitles customers of faulty products to a replacement or money back. Accepting a repair actually reduces our right to later ask for a replacement, should the repair prove unsatisfactory. A credit note is also not an acceptable solution, though a customer might elect to take up the offer of one if (s)he chooses to.
Of course, very big companies (especially car dealers) are very very reluctant to provide replacements and will do everything possible to avoid it - unfortunately with more than a little success, even with our laws on the side of the consumer.
So I personally don't think its unreasonable to ask for a replacement of a product that does not do what it says it should, and in this case, a customer should expect that the usb and firewire ports on a computer work correctly.
Just because we all like Apple doesn't mean that they should be able to sell a computer thats only fit for use as a door stop. And I think Apple would probably agree - they know that unhappy customers are not good for business.

And as for
Just realize that NOT EVERY COMPUTER IS GUARANTEED TO WORK.
well thats just rubbish - where does it say that on their web-site?

Mechcozmo
Mar 3, 2005, 11:07 PM
So I personally don't think its unreasonable to ask for a replacement of a product that does not do what it says it should, and in this case, a customer should expect that the usb and firewire ports on a computer work correctly.

I expect that too. But if they do not work, why can't Apple have a chance to correct their mistake? They admitted that there was a problem and said that they would replace a component. That's replacement of nearly the entire computer (logic board). But 'that isn't good enough' is just plain stupid because that lessens your chances of getting it fixed. They were going to fix the problem, and by demanding a replacement, stopped the process.

i agree that one has to give apple the first swing and one always should be polite.
i'm just wondering because for some people it seems to be the successful (meaning fast) strategy to "immediately demand a new machine", for others the "try repair first" seems to work better.

Always let Apple fix it first. That way you have some credibility on your side. You can say "You guys couldn't fix it and I kinda want a computer..." if it doesn't work again (pretty unlikely). If it doesn't work the second time around, then you start to talk to managers and tell them your story. Apple makes money by keeping their loyal user base happy. They want to make you happy.