PDA

View Full Version : Will there be new features in the final version?

enigma2k
Mar 23, 2011, 06:17 PM
How likely is it that Apple is holding back the groundbreaking new features or GUI changes?
I myself think there won't be any GUI changes from the developer version, but maybe some new features that make people go "wow".

As I am new to the Mac I would like to know what's the experience with previous Mac OS launches. Does Apple wait for the final version with the big changes?

SandboxGeneral
Mar 23, 2011, 06:21 PM
It would be a bit hard to do that as Apple releases the beta's to developers and then they chronicle the details here on MR and other sites. The only way for them to hide anything would be to release a version to the public that was never beta tested. Which of course would likely lead to a lot of bugs and a bad user experience.

axu539
Mar 23, 2011, 07:04 PM
It would be a bit hard to do that as Apple releases the beta's to developers and then they chronicle the details here on MR and other sites. The only way for them to hide anything would be to release a version to the public that was never beta tested. Which of course would likely lead to a lot of bugs and a bad user experience.

I doubt it would be that hard. It's not like Apple publicly beta tests the iLife suite or FC before releasing them. My guess is that the betas that come out will gradually reveal more and more, and become closer and closer to the full version. Apple could easily drop some hidden features in the final release though. There are still months to go.

Plymouthbreezer
Mar 23, 2011, 07:31 PM
UI tweaks might (and have in the past) appear in last minute builds; it's not uncommon.

daneoni
Mar 23, 2011, 07:33 PM
You'll find out at WWDC what the final version will be.

PBF
Mar 23, 2011, 08:31 PM
I bet any groundbreaking new features are tested only internally.

MikhailT
Mar 23, 2011, 11:53 PM

I doubt it, WWDC is likely to be devoted to iPhone 5 with iOS 5. Apple is likely to do a small special media event for Lion like the Lion Preview event last year.

iRobby
Mar 24, 2011, 12:36 AM

When is WWDC?

SandboxGeneral
Mar 24, 2011, 07:26 AM
When is WWDC?

Usually it is held in June. WWDC (http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/)

rorschach
Mar 24, 2011, 02:17 PM
Yes, it's possible that some major new features will be introduced between now and the final shipping version.

Leopard was first demoed in June 2006, shipped in October 2007. The revised Finder, new Dock and menubar weren't announced until June 2007...same for Stacks, Back To My Mac, Cover Flow, and Quick Look.

MattInOz
Mar 24, 2011, 06:13 PM
Well there is the superduper new sync system that was rumoured but hasn't been seen yet. But only the developer facing parts of the new system need to be in place for the preview/beta.

So if Versions/Autosave allows for incremental saves so only the changes are saved to disk each time. Then those would make for very small packets to be synced between devices. Which could make a lightweight syncing system, that could be announced last minute, as developer just need to make sure they are working with the first two bits.

Although WWDC will be the last event before summer release so you'd expect all major features to be announced then and the full 150+ features detailed on the website then with a firm release day.

Joshuarocks
Mar 25, 2011, 01:29 AM
Although not found in the BETA version, I hope they put Rosetta back in. Such a small program which doesn't take up too much space. I don't see why not as snow leopard has Rosetta support.

MikhailT
Mar 25, 2011, 06:19 PM
Although not found in the BETA version, I hope they put Rosetta back in. Such a small program which doesn't take up too much space. I don't see why not as snow leopard has Rosetta support.

It may be a small app but itís a major stepback for Apple as they just want to kill all PowerPC support, regardless of what the customers want. Anybody not up to date needs to update their app to work on Lion, no exception.