PDA

View Full Version : Refurb Macbook Air - Shipping

mexxdude
Mar 23, 2011, 11:11 PM
Hi,

I am planning on getting the refurb macbook air from the Apple online store. I know that new macs are shipped from China. What about refurb? I would assume they are shipped from the US? Thanks

ethanross
Mar 23, 2011, 11:23 PM
I'm interested to know the answer to this as well.
Does anyone here know from where it was being shipped?

Psilocybin
Mar 23, 2011, 11:31 PM
Mine was shipped from us brand new though

The Catalyst
Mar 23, 2011, 11:36 PM
I purchased a MBA refurb a little over a month ago, and it was shipped out from somewhere back east.

mexxdude
Mar 24, 2011, 12:38 AM
I purchased a MBA refurb a little over a month ago, and it was shipped out from somewhere back east.

How long was the shipping time? I am leaving for a month-long trip in two weeks and would like to get it by then.

The Catalyst
Mar 24, 2011, 12:47 AM
From ordering to delivery, a little over a week (if you wanted it quicker you can also request 2-day delivery for an additional fee).

c7me
Mar 24, 2011, 12:48 AM
I just purchased a refurb MBA and here is where it was shipped from: Harrisburg, PA
The free shipping is 5 business day via UPS

saintforlife
Mar 24, 2011, 12:58 AM
Mine refurbished MBA 1.86/4/128 was shipped from LEWISBERRY, PA. I am in Northern California and it took exactly 7 days from the order date for me to receive it via free shipping. It was a very torturous wait...lol..

c7me
Mar 24, 2011, 01:05 AM
Talking about torturous... I was to receive mine today 3/23 but look what I seen when I checked my UPS tracking today:
Redmond, WA, United States
03/23/2011
1:00 A.M.
Train derailment.

Should be here tomorrow!:D

mexxdude
Mar 24, 2011, 01:56 AM
Thanks guys for the reply. I just placed my order for a refurb 13.3/1.86/4/128FLASH. The estimated delivery date is between 3/29 to 4/2, which is before my trip. Let's hope there will not be a train derailment for me!!:p

ethanross
Mar 24, 2011, 02:31 AM
Cool! Enjoy your new toy during your trip! :)

Help Please
Mar 24, 2011, 02:46 AM
Thanks guys for the reply. I just placed my order for a refurb 13.3/1.86/4/128FLASH. The estimated delivery date is between 3/29 to 4/2, which is before my trip. Let's hope there will not be a train derailment for me!!:p

Just placed my order as well! I had been lurking on the refurbished store for awhile, waiting for this specific model to show up and finally I got mine ordered.

However, I chose the 2-3 day shipping and it says shipping 3/30 to 4/5. That seems pretty slow to me. Is that regular with Apple shipping?

noripwr
Mar 24, 2011, 03:34 AM
I ordered my refurb and it took about 7 days to arrive to CA from PA. Comes in a white box and requires signature. Don't do the pre-sign thing on Apple's website, otherwise you might lose your refurb. Even though it comes in a white box, there's still a sticker outside that clearly indicates what the contents inside are.

Psilocybin
Mar 24, 2011, 08:13 AM
Talking about torturous... I was to receive mine today 3/23 but look what I seen when I checked my UPS tracking today:
03/23/2011
Train derailment.

Lol ouch

:D

fishmd
Mar 24, 2011, 08:25 AM
Ordered my refurb yesterday as well. Same model as above. Must be a popular one cause they are usually hard to find. :D Mine said 3-5 days to ship, but my status already changed to "prepared to ship" on the apple site, so I am hopeful it will go out sooner than expected. Otherwise, the expected delivery date is also listed as 3/29-4/2. :p

christophermdia
Mar 24, 2011, 08:29 AM
I ordered my refurb and it took about 7 days to arrive to CA from PA. Comes in a white box and requires signature. Don't do the pre-sign thing on Apple's website, otherwise you might lose your refurb. Even though it comes in a white box, there's still a sticker outside that clearly indicates what the contents inside are.

I will second this....I did the pre-sign thing and all was well, mainly because my front door has almost like a cubby area where they typically leave packages, but the box clearly said it was a MBA from apple. This was a bit nerving especially since it delivered early....don't do pre-sign, ship to your work if possible.

fishmd
Mar 24, 2011, 03:57 PM
By the way, anyone know how long something takes to ship out once the status changes to "prepared for shipping" ?

KPOM
Mar 24, 2011, 04:05 PM
I just purchased a refurb MBA and here is where it was shipped from: Harrisburg, PA
The free shipping is 5 business day via UPS

Mine shipped from Harrisburg, as well (to NYC). What was nice is that FedEx Ground delivered it on Saturday (I ordered it on Thursday with the standard "free" shipping).

By the way, anyone know how long something takes to ship out once the status changes to "prepared for shipping" ?

Mine went to that status about an hour after I ordered it (in the morning). It shipped out late that night.

I will second this....I did the pre-sign thing and all was well, mainly because my front door has almost like a cubby area where they typically leave packages, but the box clearly said it was a MBA from apple. This was a bit nerving especially since it delivered early....don't do pre-sign, ship to your work if possible.

It says that on the packing slip. Anyone inclined to open the packing slip is also inclined to take it anyway, regardless of what's in it. That kind of theft is covered by a typical renter's or homeowner's policy (after a deductible, of course). I second the idea of sending it to a work address if possible. My building has a doorman so I sent it to my apartment.

tbobmccoy
Mar 24, 2011, 05:27 PM
03/23/2011
Train derailment.

Wow, I have never heard of a train derailment delaying a package, but I guess it happens!

Let's just hope that it doesn't require your "new" MacBook to get refurbished again ;)

jamesryanbell
Mar 24, 2011, 06:20 PM
I was under the impression that all refurbs came from within the US. I thought they refurbed ALL of them here.

The Catalyst
Mar 24, 2011, 11:05 PM

Coo deal, enjoy the new toy!

mbaer
Mar 25, 2011, 12:11 AM
Train derailment, hope the MBA's operational.:apple:

It sure takes awhile but it's worth it. Mine took from Feb 23, 2011 9:32 AM From LEWISBERRY, PA until Mar 1, 2011 1:23 PM Delivered to CA.

White box left outside my door with labels on the sides indicating it's an MBA with the ordered specifications. Get it delivered to your work if you're not home.

All good inside, came with a white slipcase with " Apple Certified " in silver, contained the power cords, apple stickers and manual. Mba was covered in plastic and thin white tissue type paper covered the display.

I guess you get everything except the MBA box.

$aved $250 towards my iPad 2 (refurbished of course).

scyon
Mar 25, 2011, 10:47 AM
Amusingly I also live in Washington State, also ordered a 13" MBA Ultimate refurb and also had my package delayed due to a train derailment.

Hopefully it will be delivered today :D

c7me
Mar 25, 2011, 07:13 PM
:D it was delivered yesterday and all is well. Second day playing with it and love this little thing!

Scottsdale
Mar 26, 2011, 01:22 AM
I am convinced they sell a lot of brand new Macs in the refurbished store, but most people don't realize it... and Apple makes a fortune either way. I think people are crazy to not buy refurbished when they wait long enough that the Macs are in the refurbished store... for instance when first introduced they're not in the refurbished store.

I love Apple refurbished! I just wish I wasn't a sucker and would wait for them more often.

SchneiderMan
Mar 26, 2011, 01:26 AM

Ordered the same 2 days ago and it shipped out from PA.

mexxdude
Mar 26, 2011, 08:51 AM
Just checked my order status. The Air is on a Fedex truck out for delivery today. YEAH!! That's so fast!!

A couple questions:

1) When I get the Air should I reinstall the OSX to save hard drive space?

2) Should I update the OSX to 10.6.7? In reading the posts on here, it appears some people have freeze issues with iTune. Is it impacting all Air users or is it a luck of the draw? I have an iPhone so I need my iTune to work.

Thanks!!

jamesryanbell
Mar 26, 2011, 11:17 AM
My 11.6" ultimate refurb shipped out of Lewisburg, PA two days ago.

KPOM
Mar 26, 2011, 12:15 PM
Just checked my order status. The Air is on a Fedex truck out for delivery today. YEAH!! That's so fast!!

A couple questions:

1) When I get the Air should I reinstall the OSX to save hard drive space?

2) Should I update the OSX to 10.6.7? In reading the posts on here, it appears some people have freeze issues with iTune. Is it impacting all Air users or is it a luck of the draw? I have an iPhone so I need my iTune to work.

Thanks!!

1) If you want, you can remove some languages in a clean install. There are other programs, such as Monolanguage and XSlimmer, that can also do it for you.

2) It's luck of the draw, it appears. I have not had the issue so far on my 11" "Ultimate" that shipped last weekend. Others have.

drbf
Mar 26, 2011, 12:21 PM
ordered mine on a Friday and received it on Tuesday form PA. BTW, looked like a new computer. 2.13, 4GB, 256GB. I am running Win7 through Boot Camp and VM
with no problems.

igetit
Mar 26, 2011, 12:32 PM
:D it was delivered yesterday and all is well. Second day playing with it and love this little thing!

Is that you Arun!?? :)

JoelMarcey
Mar 26, 2011, 06:23 PM
For those that come out of Lewisberry, PA, is it normal for tracking to be stuck on

"Arrived at FedEx location LEWISBERRY, PA"

for days on end?

For example, an order was shipped on March 21, scheduled for delivery on March 26 ... but FedEx tracking still says "Arrived at FedEx location
LEWISBERRY, PA"

TreoRenegade
Mar 26, 2011, 11:08 PM
I dunno about "normal," but you're not alone. The gory details...

Monday 3/21
10a: checked site, "24 hour shipping"
11a: order placed, free standard shipping
noon-ish: 1st email: acknowledging the order; delivery Mar 22--25
7p: status change to prepared for shipment

Tues 3/22
noon-ish: same status
6p: status changed backwards, to not yet shipped
noticed all refurbs now reading 3-5 day shipping

Wed 3/23
8a: 2d email: apologizing for "unexpected delay"; delivery March 29--April 2d

Thursday 3/24
noon-ish: status change at Apple, back to prepared for shipment
5p: same status
6p: 3d email: Shipped, with tracking number
8p: checked FedEx: surprise-- Apple bumped shipping up to 2 day
8:30p: FedEx picked up the package/ Middletown PA (Harrisburg/Lewisburg)

Friday 3/35
multiple checks throughout the day: FedEx status remains the same

Saturday 3/26
10a: FedEx now reads at destination sorter facility/Raleigh; delivery by Monday 3/28
Destination = town just outside of Raleigh, NC

Sooooo, I'm pretty sure your package is actually in transit, despite the lack of movement on the FedEx status page. Through the years, it's been my experience that FedEx is usually very good with its tracking. *And,* FedEx is not allergic to Saturday deliveries. Of course, THIS would be the time something whacks with its system, and the FedEx truck avoids my street on a Saturday. How I do wish Murphy and his Law would take a friggin' vacation! :eek:

bindle
Mar 26, 2011, 11:44 PM
My friend ordered her MBA refurb last Sunday from the AU Apple store. It shipped from Sydney on Monday and was at her door (Melbourne) Tuesday morning at 9am. She was quite surprised!

TreoRenegade
Mar 28, 2011, 03:12 PM
Yeaaaa! Received. Now to decide on a skin.