Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macciee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Dear Mac freaks, beeing more of a switcher, I just found a blutooth symbol in the Adressbook, so I looked it up in help and tada you are supposed to be able to make direct calls from your adressbook via your bluetooth enabled and paired phones - pretty cool! Alas, it doesnt work to ctrl click on a field and direct sms or call - they are still greyish and therefore not free for connections. I have a Siemens SX1 bluetooth enabled and paired with my mac and I am doing daily isync - works perfectly. So whats not working in my calender bluetooth connection? The symbol is blue (not blinking and looking for my siemens) so that cant be it?

Suggestions you freaky mac afficionados??! :eek:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I cn't solve the issue, but you can use Address Book instead. Start it with bluetooth present and click the bluetooth icon in the toolbar. The click on the word beside whichever phone number you want to call (say Mobile:) to show the list of options. You should see Dial with "YOUR PHONE NAME" as well as some interesting options like SMS. Also whenever someone phones you (or sends you an SMS message) a window pops up on your screen letting you answer the call, read the message or whatever.

Macciee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Adressbook & bluetooth

robbieduncan said:
I cn't solve the issue, but you can use Address Book instead. Start it with bluetooth present and click the bluetooth icon in the toolbar. The click on the word beside whichever phone number you want to call (say Mobile:) to show the list of options. You should see Dial with "YOUR PHONE NAME" as well as some interesting options like SMS. Also whenever someone phones you (or sends you an SMS message) a window pops up on your screen letting you answer the call, read the message or whatever.

Thanks for you quick reply, I am sorry, I meant that I already was trying it in the Adressbook not calender - so the fields are still greyish in my adressbook when I ctrl click them, wonder why?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Hmm, you could have left the original message, now I just look insane! :D The only thing I can think of is that Apple do not support these features with your phone. They work fine on my SE T610 (and also worked with aT68i).

Having said that your phone appears to be supported and Address Book is listed as an application it will work with. It does note that 10.3.5 is recommended for Symbian OS phones. What OS version are you on?

Applespider

macrumors G4
You've paired the phone and Bluetooth is on in the menu bar.

Now have you turned Bluetooth on in Address Book? Click on the Bluetooth button (next to card/column view) and it will tell you whether it's connected to a phone or not.

Might seem obvious but it puzzled me the first time I tried to send an SMS since I assumed Address Book would automatically pick up the pairing with my phone and couldn't understand why the SMS option was greyed out.

Having my Mac accept and send text messages is one of those things my PC friends think is cool. I just think it's really handy to be able to charge my phone in another room and still get texts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.