Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
(the nano or classic models)...

Hey guys,

I've gotten a new iPod every year since the iPod with video came out, and have used an iPod in the car hooked up by auxiliary since then. I moved to a nano a few years back and suddenly with that model noticed when docked in the iPod hifi speaker, or while hooked into my car, the iPod wouldn't charge anymore while plugged in...

I remember this being talked about when it happened, and vaguely remember discussion about some FireWire pin missing in the latest iPod models... Am I remembering this right?

Anyway, my point in this post is to ask if anyone remembers what the last models of iPod were that played and charged normally. I wanna go back to basics for the car and am tired of having to pull my current model nano out of the car because it dies every few days. I want to pick up a good solid "latest as possible model" ...nano or classic... that I can leave in the car and it'll stay charged up. Higher capacity would be ideal, too... :p

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
It was the fourth gen iPod Nano that ceased to have the FireWire chip I believe. I know because I experienced the same problem with my fourth gen.

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
My iPod video 5.5gen still works with the ipod Hifi, IIRC they changed the charging pin when the 'classic' (6gen) was announced.

There are some adaptors available out there that'll convert the firewire pin to charge on the USB pin

Mainly for car use

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scosche-Passport-Charging-Adapter-iPhone/dp/B001HN6CVA/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

one here for hifi/sounddock etc

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scosche-Passport-Home-iPhone-Touch/dp/B001NXYXX8/ref=pd_cp_ce_1

and another i found

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CableJive-dockStubz-Dock-charger-adapter/dp/B003TJR2HS/ref=pd_cp_ce_3

Hope this helps

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
Hey Ingster, thanks for the links and info!! I didn't even think about looking for something like that. Very cool.

I think a small part of me wanted an excuse to pick up another iPod, one in higher capacity for ALL of my music to remain in the car at all times, but the bigger issue was the battery dying every few days. So this is probably the way to go. :p

Thanks again!

seb-opp

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
London/Norwich
I experienced this when I got my iPhone/iPod car kit:

Older iPods before the first iPod Touch came out used a different voltage for charging to the newer ones. The car kit was a basic one, and its dock cable uses the charging system for the old iPods. To get the new ones to charge, it came with an adaptor which fits in between the dock cable and the newer iPods/iPhone. Sounds like your car kit was designed for the older models, so if you find the adaptor I have (or similar) it will work.

In the UK, a company called Connects2 sells them. Several other companies do them too, I don't have time to link you right now but if you google search 'ipod car kits' you should find your way to the adaptor Im talking about.

Also FYI I think the old iPods used 12v while the new ones and the iPhone use 5v, that might help you with your search

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.