Spinning Squares 104.46 132.52 frames/sec

under 10.6.6

to

OpenGL Graphics Test 71.73
Spinning Squares 71.73 91.00 frames/sec

OSX performance is now slow even with an 11" ultimate :eek:

iNotion
Mar 25, 2011, 08:33 AM
CS5 photoshop + illustrator = Awfully Lagging!
(never happen to me on any OSX, it is like running on Windows)

Playing Call of Duty 4 on it is even WORSE!
Now i have a headache~

untype
Mar 25, 2011, 09:26 AM
I really hope that this is some kind of oversight and not an intentional crippling of the Air. I've heard all kinds of conspiracy theories regarding products that are too close in performance and price so the manufacturer slows one down/kills performance so it is somewhat worse. I haven't seen any proof so these remain urban legends but I would hate to think that the Air was slowed down since it was a little too close in performance/price to another recently launched or soon to be launched upgrade/product/refresh.

Most of you would remember how surprising the performance was post release. So many people were saying the processor is old, it won't have enough power, blah blah blah and then people started using them and were blown away.

Regardless, I hope this is fixed soon.

KPOM
Mar 25, 2011, 09:57 AM
It seems pretty clear that 10.6.7 is a dud. 10.6.8 (or 10.6.7.1) can't come quickly enough.

Hopefully "[addressing] various issues with performance" didn't mean that it was "too fast." I doubt it, though. Apple just put a Core i5 and i7 into the MacBook Pro, so they have no reason to dumb down the MacBook Air. It's also one of their best-selling models.

Note that the Rev D Air was prone to kernel panics (I know from personal experience), so perhaps they did throttle some things down a bit in hopes of reducing panics.

DarwinOSX
Mar 25, 2011, 10:03 AM
I really hope that this is some kind of oversight and not an intentional crippling of the Air.

Oh please...

johnhalsted
Mar 25, 2011, 11:21 AM
I have also noticed the awfull performance after 6.7 so im just gonna wipe and see if i can get it to 6.6 again until the problems fixed

no biggie :)

GekkePrutser
Mar 25, 2011, 11:59 AM
I really hope that this is some kind of oversight and not an intentional crippling of the Air. I've heard all kinds of conspiracy theories regarding products that are too close in performance and price so the manufacturer slows one down/kills performance so it is somewhat worse. I haven't seen any proof so these remain urban legends but I would hate to think that the Air was slowed down since it was a little too close in performance/price to another recently launched or soon to be launched upgrade/product/refresh.

That would hardly be necessary, since the MacBook Pro was updated in Februari the gap is much bigger once again.

untype
Mar 25, 2011, 01:11 PM
That would hardly be necessary, since the MacBook Pro was updated in Februari the gap is much bigger once again.

Agreed, but what about a potential refresh/upgrade of the Macbook Air to a slightly faster processor and a somewhat worse GPU? Not that much of an upgrade so far as I have heard in these forums.

I hope it's just a screw-up. Only time will tell if the next OS update fixes the issues that ppl are experiencing. If the performance/benchmarks don't go back up, and ppl still can't play the games they could with the old OS, I will start worrying.

solaris7
Mar 25, 2011, 02:10 PM
Apple does not screw up....

KPOM
Mar 25, 2011, 02:24 PM

Yes. In fact, I just got an e-mail from Steve Jobs who said he was worried that MacBook Air owners were spending too much time on iTunes, so they released 10.6.7 to fix that.

Susurs
Mar 25, 2011, 03:50 PM
I couldn't find any discussion about this performance degradation on Apple discussion board...I think it should be brought there as well if not already.

Well I do not want to think about "degradation on purpose" but than again Intel gpu is such a garbage...

iTunes and not only iTunes "quality control" or something else in Apple has gone very wrong lately...

iTunes 10 broke visualizer performance and did not bring it back even until now (I know not a lot of you use it but anyway), later it broke startup times of MBA as well and now it seemingly freezes whole system in combination with 10.6.7. ...

Do not treat your customers like that Apple...

ZipZap
Mar 25, 2011, 05:06 PM

Neither does Microsoft...

Susurs
Mar 26, 2011, 06:29 AM
Ok, could somebody post more Xbench results (Open GL section). Either on 10.6.6. or 10.6.7. or both if you have the possibility to compare and your model of MBA.

My results for base MBA 11 1.4 (10.6.6) are:
OpenGL Graphics Test 89.28
Spinning Squares 89.28 113.25 frames/sec

KPOM
Mar 26, 2011, 08:18 AM
On an "Ultimate 11" running 10.6.7, I'm getting a score of 96.59 at 122.54 frames/sec.

IngerMan
Mar 26, 2011, 08:34 AM
First time I ran Xbench so I am not sure prior to 10.6.7

Open GL 111.18 141.04 frames/sec

MBA 13 1.86 4 Ram

Scott6666
Mar 26, 2011, 09:04 AM

11" Ultimate

105.27 first run
106.15 second run

KPOM
Mar 26, 2011, 09:18 AM
I think it's pretty safe to say that fears of a 30% drop in performance were overblown. XBench results can vary based on lots of factors. In general, we're getting pretty similar results as before.

I re-ran XBench after a fresh restart, and got 98.38 (124.81 frames/sec) on my Ultimate 11. I also checked my results from when I first got my Ultimate 13" back in November. In general, the disk benchmarks were the same, and the 13" was about 30% faster on the CPU and graphics tests, which is no surprise given that the processor, bus, and IGP run about that much faster on the Ultimate 13" model than the Ultimate 11" model.

Susurs
Mar 26, 2011, 10:21 AM
Thank you KPOM! You made me believe that situation is not so bad after all. Well, yes... It seems that the gap might not be so big...lets hope it is so.

Actually looking at those scores on thread for now I see that MBA 11 ultimate gets a score around 105 on 10.6.6. in two cases and what I want to believe is that it get's 96-98 on 10.6.7 as KPOM says and not 30% decrease but we would need more results to compare more MBA... so welcome to post them... :)

KnightWRX
Mar 26, 2011, 12:26 PM
Anyway guys, any of you having problems, just use your system restore USB key and then get 10.6.6 :

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1349

Not like it's a big problem. Also, have some of you guys checked out activity monitor when you run the benchmarks and compare 10.6.6 and 10.6.7 ? Something goofy might be going on in the background while under 10.6.7 on your particular configuration.

IngerMan
Mar 26, 2011, 02:24 PM
Good call Knight. I was so enoyed with Itunes locking up every other day. I did a time machine restore back before March 21st when 10.6.7 came out.

I am running 10.6.6 at the moment and did the xbench test again.

117.83 (149.48) running 10.6.6 vs my 111.18 (141.04) running 10.6.7

Only a 5% difference and that could be many things. But the good news is I feel confident opening up iTunes. :D

MBA 13 1.86 4GB Ram Running 10.6.6

Angra-mainju
Mar 26, 2011, 03:03 PM
hot to turn back to 10.6.7?

The-Pro
Mar 26, 2011, 03:59 PM
2010, 2.66ghz i7. 512mb GT 330M, 10.6.7

292.42 frames/sec

average of 288 on 10.6.6

GreyMatta
Mar 27, 2011, 12:39 PM
after installing 10.6.7 I was getting around 40fps at medium settings in SC2 this was after going from 10.6.6 to 10.6.7.

I decided to do a bit of a clean up of my OS and do a clean install so I used my USB stick to reinstall everything and then did a software update to take me to 10.6.7 I now get 8-9fps in SC2 at medium settings.

any body have any ideas to rectify this?

BlackMax
Mar 27, 2011, 02:00 PM
after installing 10.6.7 I was getting around 40fps at medium settings in SC2 this was after going from 10.6.6 to 10.6.7.

I decided to do a bit of a clean up of my OS and do a clean install so I used my USB stick to reinstall everything and then did a software update to take me to 10.6.7 I now get 8-9fps in SC2 at medium settings.

Reading posts like this has me seriously considering skipping the 10.6.7 patch altogether on my 11" MBA. All I can figure is that Apple must have modified the NVIDIA GeForce 320M drivers for the worse. The much worse.

GreyMatta
Mar 27, 2011, 02:22 PM
Reading posts like this has me seriously considering skipping the 10.6.7 patch altogether on my 11" MBA. All I can figure is that Apple must have modified the NVIDIA GeForce 320M drivers for the worse. The much worse.

I have tried using Pacifist to extract and install the drivers from the 10.6.6 update but I was still only getting 8fps so I suspect its more than just the drivers that are at fault :(

also my Xbench OpenGL scores are still around 102 with 130fps so Xbench doesn't give a true picture of the problem

KPOM
Mar 27, 2011, 02:51 PM

We'd need a more complete set of benchmarks to make that conclusion. Anyway, note that Apple did say that 10.6.7 was geared both to address performance and an issue that could cause a kernel panic. I was getting panics left and right (though Apple's solution was to replace the logic board), so perhaps they throttled down the 320m because it was causing issues.

Anyway, they'll definitely need to patch either 10.6.7 or iTunes 10.2.1 to fix the iTunes issue, so hopefully they address any performance issues, as well.

I did notice this, though:

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2267599143

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2795016&tstart=0

GreyMatta
Mar 27, 2011, 03:38 PM
We'd need a more complete set of benchmarks to make that conclusion. Anyway, note that Apple did say that 10.6.7 was geared both to address performance and an issue that could cause a kernel panic. I was getting panics left and right (though Apple's solution was to replace the logic board), so perhaps they throttled down the 320m because it was causing issues.

Anyway, they'll definitely need to patch either 10.6.7 or iTunes 10.2.1 to fix the iTunes issue, so hopefully they address any performance issues, as well.

I did notice this, though:

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2267599143

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2795016&tstart=0

I read those threads trying to find a fix so I was aware i wasn't the only one

I also found a thread that mentions trying to install some Quadro 4000 kexts from an nVidia 10.6.7 fix but it just borked my display and SC2 complained of support for my Graphics card so I ran the 10.6.7 update again to get things back

hope Apple fix this soon (need my SC2 fix)

Susurs
Mar 27, 2011, 03:58 PM
Regarding XBench... It does not matter if the number of performance decreased is 30 or 5-10%. The main thing is that it is decreased and on purpose or not but letting such thing happen is not acceptable. Not to even talk about other problems in 10.6.7. I did not bought an Apple computer to sit and look for solutions on different errors with it neither did any of you bought it for this reason I believe...

Susurs
Mar 28, 2011, 05:04 AM
Looking at Apple discussion thread and Blizzard forums it seems that MBP's are suffering from this issue (low FPS in Starcraft) too...

Cerano
Mar 28, 2011, 05:37 AM
the apple support forums thread is mine

its my apple id

anyway is apple aware of this issue? Im afraid if i downgrade back to 10.6.5 or 6 ill lose my data and i dont have a hdd to back it up with :mad:

Cerano
Mar 28, 2011, 05:39 AM
Regarding XBench... It does not matter if the number of performance decreased is 30 or 5-10%. The main thing is that it is decreased and on purpose or not but letting such thing happen is not acceptable. Not to even talk about other problems in 10.6.7. I did not bought an Apple computer to sit and look for solutions on different errors with it neither did any of you bought it for this reason I believe...

agreed this is a major issue how do we bring it up to apple?

Scottsdale
Mar 28, 2011, 06:37 AM
Apple did this exact same thing back in one of the early updates. OpenGL finally improved later with another update. We discussed it back then. The thing is, is this only happening to the MBA or is it happening to all Macs? If it's just the MBA, then perhaps the conspiracy is to ensure the MBA benchmarks for graphics are lower than the next generation MBA with a worthless SB IGP? This could mean really bad things for the MBA. So someone please report back and let us know is this an MBA only trait or is OpenGL in 10.6.7 worse for all Macs? For all of those that do want an MBA with SB IGP in June, this may be the news you have been waiting for, whether it means a better MBA for you or not.

Cerano
Mar 28, 2011, 07:36 AM
Apple did this exact same thing back in one of the early updates. OpenGL finally improved later with another update. We discussed it back then. The thing is, is this only happening to the MBA or is it happening to all Macs? If it's just the MBA, then perhaps the conspiracy is to ensure the MBA benchmarks for graphics are lower than the next generation MBA with a worthless SB IGP? This could mean really bad things for the MBA. So someone please report back and let us know is this an MBA only trait or is OpenGL in 10.6.7 worse for all Macs? For all of those that do want an MBA with SB IGP in June, this may be the news you have been waiting for, whether it means a better MBA for you or not.

dont think so mate... is apple so underhanded? also this seems to be affecting MBPs with discrete ATIs

impulse462
Mar 28, 2011, 07:46 AM

If its happening to the other MBP's then its probably an OpenGL issue or drivers issue. Just the fact that Apple keeps harping that the MBA's are the next generation of Macbooks, I have a hard time believing they would sabotage this generation of MBA's.

Who knows.

chrono1081
Mar 28, 2011, 08:14 AM

http://www.Apple.com/feedback

agreed this is a major issue how do we bring it up to apple?

Seriously this is the only way. No amount of forum talk including the Apple message boards should be considered as reporting the problem to Apple. Only leaving direct feedback will ensure that Apple gets the news.

KnightWRX
Mar 28, 2011, 09:10 AM

Seriously this is the only way. No amount of forum talk including the Apple message boards should be considered as reporting the problem to Apple. Only leaving direct feedback will ensure that Apple gets the news.

That link should not be used for support issues like a performance degradation. It is not a product support contact. Use the proper support channels (either Applecare or the Genius bar) if you are having performance degradation. Be ready to show results with both 10.6.6 and 10.6.7.

Dr McKay
Mar 28, 2011, 09:44 AM
Can you not simply roll back the drivers like on Windows?

res1233
Mar 28, 2011, 10:16 AM
Can you not simply roll back the drivers like on Windows?

Windows only has that because it's designed to operate with tons of devices, so it's definitely possible you'll want to revert back to older drivers... This kind of thing should never happen considering how much control apple has over the entire process. Do they even run benchmarks?

It seems to me that all Apple seems to care about is stability, and while that's just fine and dandy, they often do it while sacrificing performance. It sure would be nice if they could find some sort of middle-ground... Although to be honest, you don't buy an MBA for performance. It seems to me that the majority of people who buy macs with integrated graphics, want macs for the stability, rather than the performance.

Hastings101
Mar 28, 2011, 10:44 AM
I really hope that this is some kind of oversight and not an intentional crippling of the Air. I've heard all kinds of conspiracy theories regarding products that are too close in performance and price so the manufacturer slows one down/kills performance so it is somewhat worse.

iPhone 3G meets iOS 4 >_>

I'm sure it could happen to the Macintosh line as well.

DKfraDK
Mar 28, 2011, 10:59 AM
I have a 13" Macbook Air 1,86 GHz, 4gb ram.

I have no Xbench results from 10.6.6.

I just ran it now under 10.6.7, and my openGL results match the OP's under 10.6.6

Spinning Squares 106.23 - 134,76 fps.

So I guess that im just lucky :cool:

GreyMatta
Mar 28, 2011, 12:39 PM

I just ran it now under 10.6.7, and my openGL results match the OP's under 10.6.6

Not really, try running SC2 or another game and see what the performance is like,

I have terrible (8-9 fps used to be about 40fps) performance in SC2 but my Xbench scores are more or less the same as yours.

Susurs
Mar 28, 2011, 01:14 PM

Just that he's got 11' ultimate...

BlackMax
Mar 28, 2011, 10:02 PM
I was getting panics left and right (though Apple's solution was to replace the logic board), so perhaps they throttled down the 320m because it was causing issues.

It would make me very sad if this was all just an attempt to improve the stability of some Apple notebooks as my MBA has been rock solid whether playing SC2, watching movies or whatever.

OS X 10.6.6 Forever! :D

QCassidy352
Mar 28, 2011, 10:14 PM
MBA 13" ultimate - I've seen zero difference in SC2 frame rates since the upgrade... :confused:

Scottsdale
Mar 28, 2011, 10:41 PM
dont think so mate... is apple so underhanded? also this seems to be affecting MBPs with discrete ATIs

I didn't know if it was just happening to the MBA... I put a question mark there. I know the last time it affected all Macs. It is pretty sad actually. The quality control is crap! I refuse to update until all of the results come in and after a few weeks. I refuse to update to .7 at this time.

KPOM
Mar 28, 2011, 11:23 PM
MBA 13" ultimate - I've seen zero difference in SC2 frame rates since the upgrade... :confused:

Did you use Software Update or download the full installation file from Apple's website?

kx22
Mar 29, 2011, 03:05 AM
idem dito here.
I used the upgrader

blow45
Mar 29, 2011, 03:19 AM
10.6.7 is a dud for sure, and sl, has slowly become a dog with each incremental release except the first couple, that's my general impression at least.

halledise
Mar 29, 2011, 04:26 AM
i have also noticed the awfull performance after 6.7 so im just gonna wipe and see if i can get it to 6.6 again until the problems fixed

no biggie :)

+1

+1

omniatlas
Mar 29, 2011, 04:49 AM
Did you use Software Update or download the full installation file from Apple's website?

Download the full install. I upgraded two computers to 10.6.7 including my air w/o any problems.

GreyMatta
Mar 29, 2011, 07:54 AM
Download the full install. I upgraded two computers to 10.6.7 including my air w/o any problems.

did you go from 10.6.5 to 10.6.7
or 10.6.6 to 10.6.7

and did you download the full update from Apples website or use the updater

cheers

KPOM
Mar 29, 2011, 08:08 AM
did you go from 10.6.5 to 10.6.7
or 10.6.6 to 10.6.7

and did you download the full update from Apples website or use the updater

cheers

In my case, I went from 10.6.6 to 10.6.7 using the full update from Apple's web site. I have an 11" 1.6GHz MacBook Air and do not have the iTunes issue. I don't game so I don't have any frame rates. If someone can point me to a site where I can perform some tests (other than XBench, which I've posted), I'd be happy to do so tonight when I'm back at my Mac.

Cerano
Mar 29, 2011, 08:40 AM
I just did another Xbench

Quartz Graphics Test 112.82
Line 100.23 6.67 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
Rectangle 117.77 35.16 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
Circle 103.78 8.46 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
Bezier 121.61 3.07 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
Text 125.17 7.83 Kchars/sec

Spinning Squares 91.91 116.59 frames/sec

BlackMax
Mar 29, 2011, 09:20 PM
Here are my Xbench v1.3 results for my 11" MBA Ultimate running OS X 10.6.6.

DarwinOSX
Mar 30, 2011, 12:10 PM

Same. No difference with Source games either. XBench is a synthetic benchmark and has been broken before so I would not necessarily go by that.

GreyMatta
Mar 30, 2011, 05:33 PM
Just spent the night testing this issue

I put in my USB stick and erase & installed to a clean 10.6.5
Then I installed SC2 and updated it to the latest version
Disk permissions were fixed before and after every update whilst in safe-mode

here are the results:

SC2 fully updated to 1.3.0 running at medium settings and at native resolution

10.6.5 USB restore with no updates = 33fps
10.6.6 combo update = 34fps
10.6.7 combo update = 7fps
10.6.7 combo and everything else on software update iTunes 10.2.1 etc = 7fps

Im going back to 10.6.6 until they issue a fix for this :(

major7
Mar 30, 2011, 06:40 PM
GreyMatta, can you test it with the latest fix apple just released before going back to 10.6.6?

thanks

DarwinOSX
Mar 30, 2011, 08:17 PM
Well, thats pretty hard to argue with. But some of us are not seeing an issue.

Just spent the night testing this issue

I put in my USB stick and erase & installed to a clean 10.6.5
Then I installed SC2 and updated it to the latest version
Disk permissions were fixed before and after every update whilst in safe-mode

here are the results:

SC2 fully updated to 1.3.0 running at medium settings and at native resolution

10.6.5 USB restore with no updates = 33fps
10.6.6 combo update = 34fps
10.6.7 combo update = 7fps
10.6.7 combo and everything else on software update iTunes 10.2.1 etc = 7fps

Im going back to 10.6.6 until they issue a fix for this :(

major7
Mar 31, 2011, 05:39 AM
Now that we know that iTunes issue was fixed....i think it's important to know how gaming performance is after this fix (i think that fix only fixes permissions but you never know...)...because that's not an issue for them and as it won't be solved i will return to 10.6.6 to be able to play once in a while whenever i feel like it....so if you gamers could give some feedback on it it would be very much aprecciated.

GreyMatta
Mar 31, 2011, 06:43 AM
GreyMatta, can you test it with the latest fix apple just released before going back to 10.6.6?

thanks

the fix is only for the 13" isnt it

major7
Mar 31, 2011, 06:51 AM
the fix is only for the 13" isnt it

Yeah...sorry...didnt notice you were on an 11. Still it probably wont fix anything in that matter...gonna have to make my own tests....lol

Stingray454
Mar 31, 2011, 11:17 AM
Just a note - I read people that have crippled game performance but still Xbench results are the same. Everyone who are posting xbench results - please try to install some 3d-game and try it again.

Greymatta - thx for the numbers, nice testing!

cleric
Apr 1, 2011, 01:59 AM
10.6.6->10.6.7 Using software update

http://i55.tinypic.com/2llk701.png

Buckeyes1995
Apr 1, 2011, 06:57 AM
I've noticed no degradation playing WoW with the patch.

Running at 2560x1600, low detail for most settings.. fair for a few others.. still get a consistent 30+ fps.

I haven't undocked to see the native resolution performance.. but I'm sure its the same.

McKs
Apr 3, 2011, 10:44 AM

Running at 2560x1600, low detail for most settings.. fair for a few others.. still get a consistent 30+ fps.

I haven't undocked to see the native resolution performance.. but I'm sure its the same.

Another 11" MacBook Air owner with a massive frame rate hit here, but for me it's in Dragon Age (Origins, not the just-released 2)
I don't have any numbers, but I was playing happily on medium settings, with only some slowdowns in really intense battles. After the update (used the combo update), Dragon Age is now utterly unplayable. If set every setting to low, set the res down to 1024x640 and even then I get what I presume are single digit frame rates in every part of the world.
I'm staying with 10.6.6 for a while, at the very least until I finish DAO.

GreyMatta
Apr 3, 2011, 12:38 PM

what machine ?

QCassidy352
Apr 3, 2011, 02:04 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Software update.

Something weird is going on here. How can some people go from 30+ fps to single digits and others see literally no change?

Susurs
Apr 3, 2011, 02:15 PM
Is there any software that can show GPU core/mem speed in OSX?

GreyMatta
Apr 3, 2011, 02:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Software update.

Something weird is going on here. How can some people go from 30+ fps to single digits and others see literally no change?

The strange thing is I updated to 10.6.7 as soon as it came out and my SC2 fps went up to about 40. I decided a few days later to clean up my system with a fresh install from the USB drive supplied. (bad move)

I have tried loads of different configurations and methods of updating to 10.6.7 again but without the loss of performance and none of them have worked (I am stuck at 7-8fps unless I go back to 10.6.6)

I have even loaded graphics drivers from 10.6.6 etc

Why did I have to reinstall :)

as the saying goes "If it aint broke - fix it until it is"

GreyMatta
Apr 6, 2011, 05:34 PM
Fixed it :)

Im on 10.6.7 and getting 40fps on SC2

I had to reinstall from the USB Drive again
10.6.5 to 10.6.6 using the update from Apples website (non-combo)
10.6.6 to 10.6.7 again using the update from Apples website (non-combo)

only after doing the updates from Apple did I use the Software Update app

I think the key is using the non-combo separate updates from the download section of Apples website

BlackMax
Apr 6, 2011, 08:30 PM

I think the key is using the non-combo separate updates from the download section of Apples website

Congratulations! Thanks for all the legwork and testing you did to figure it out.

For those of us currently on 10.6.6, would you recommend we simply upgrade to 10.6.7 using the non-combo patch downloaded from Apple's website?

Help Please
Apr 6, 2011, 09:48 PM
Congratulations! Thanks for all the legwork and testing you did to figure it out.

For those of us currently on 10.6.6, would you recommend we simply upgrade to 10.6.7 using the non-combo patch downloaded from Apple's website?

I'd like to know as well. I went back to 10.6.6 and wouldn't mind upgrading if I knew it would work.

GreyMatta
Apr 7, 2011, 01:22 AM

I guess it would work?

try it out. :D if it doesn't work you can restore to 10.6.5 and then do the two separate updates

good luck

ZipZap
Apr 7, 2011, 05:29 AM
What is the difference between the combo and non-combo updates on the Apple site.

Also assume the supplemental 10.6.7 update is not in any of those files and needs to be applied separately.

KPOM
Apr 7, 2011, 07:32 AM
What is the difference between the combo and non-combo updates on the Apple site.

Also assume the supplemental 10.6.7 update is not in any of those files and needs to be applied separately.

The regular update is for people updating from the previous build (e.g. 10.6.6 to 10.6.7). The combo update will update any installation of OS X 10.6 to the latest build (e.g. 10.6.5 to 10.6.7). It appears that there are fewer issues with 10.6.7 if you apply the non-combo updates. Naturally, if you are running 10.6.4 or 10.6.5 (e.g. you did a clean install from your USB recovery key), you will need to update to each level manually.

You are correct that the supplemental update needs to be applied separately, after updating to 10.6.7.

They are all available here:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macosx106

major7
Apr 7, 2011, 09:13 AM
Hi,

I'm on 10.6.7 and just made quick offline tests on OSX:

1. Just went solo on Killing Floor and started with 30 fps but when the zombies started to surround me it dropped to 20 average.

2. Hosted a quick game on CS Source with 10 bots and it started with 60 fps but then dropped to 40 average.

Anyone with the same games to make the same quick tests?

Killing flor: type "stat fps" on console
CS Source: type "net_graph 1" on console

lucashungaro
Apr 8, 2011, 07:05 AM

Can I just reinstall it over from the usb stick or do I need to format the hd and do a clean install?

KPOM
Apr 8, 2011, 07:27 AM
Can I just reinstall it over from the usb stick or do I need to format the hd and do a clean install?

The latter, since a clean install would leave 10.6.7 on. That said, you can clone your drive onto an external drive (or use Time Machine) and then use Migration Assistant to restore your data and applications. That should work. The approach is to format the drive, install 10.6.4 (or whichever version is on your USB stick), and then install the "delta" updates that you can download from Apple's website. i.e. install 10.6.5, then 10.6.6, then 10.6.7. At that point, run Migration Assistant, and you should be on your way.

GreyMatta
Apr 8, 2011, 11:40 AM
The latter, since a clean install would leave 10.6.7 on. That said, you can clone your drive onto an external drive (or use Time Machine) and then use Migration Assistant to restore your data and applications. That should work. The approach is to format the drive, install 10.6.4 (or whichever version is on your USB stick), and then install the "delta" updates that you can download from Apple's website. i.e. install 10.6.5, then 10.6.6, then 10.6.7. At that point, run Migration Assistant, and you should be on your way.

That's exactly what I would do

lucashungaro
Apr 9, 2011, 08:27 AM
It works!

Did a clean install with the restore drive (10.6.4) and applied each incremental patch (10.6.5, 10.6.6, 10.6.7 and 10.6.7 supplemental). You can download them here: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macosx106

After each patch I tested Starcraft II and, after verifying it was working fine, refreshed my Time Machine backup in case something went wrong with the next update, so that I could restore the system (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/15216.html).

Now I'm on 10.6.7 and gaming performance is fine, maybe even better.

So, do not use Software Update or the combo updates. You must install each patch manually.

Thanks GreyMatta.

major7
Apr 9, 2011, 08:31 AM
That's ok for SC2....what about others games?

lucashungaro
Apr 9, 2011, 09:05 AM
That's ok for SC2....what about others games?

I'm installing some games (Left 4 Dead 2, Civilization V) via Steam to verify.

major7
Apr 9, 2011, 09:07 AM
Let us know what you find out....thanks

Obrigado Lucas....sou português :)

GreyMatta
Apr 9, 2011, 09:11 AM
It works!

Did a clean install with the restore drive (10.6.4) and applied each incremental patch (10.6.5, 10.6.6, 10.6.7 and 10.6.7 supplemental). You can download them here: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macosx106

After each patch I tested Starcraft II and, after verifying it was working fine, refreshed my Time Machine backup in case something went wrong with the next update, so that I could restore the system (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/15216.html).

Now I'm on 10.6.7 and gaming performance is fine, maybe even better.

So, do not use Software Update or the combo updates. You must install each patch manually.

Thanks GreyMatta.

no problem glad you got it working :D

stylinexpat
Apr 9, 2011, 12:02 PM
I couldn't find any discussion about this performance degradation on Apple discussion board...I think it should be brought there as well if not already.

Well I do not want to think about "degradation on purpose" but than again Intel gpu is such a garbage...

iTunes and not only iTunes "quality control" or something else in Apple has gone very wrong lately...

iTunes 10 broke visualizer performance and did not bring it back even until now (I know not a lot of you use it but anyway), later it broke startup times of MBA as well and now it seemingly freezes whole system in combination with 10.6.7. ...

Do not treat your customers like that Apple...

That's because they have something called censorship on their discussion boards;) It is if it were ran by the same people that censor stuff in China :rolleyes:

lucashungaro
Apr 9, 2011, 01:35 PM
Let us know what you find out....thanks

Obrigado Lucas....sou português :)

Legal, tenho avô português. :)

So, Left 4 Dead 2 is working fine. I can't say if it was affected 'cause I haven't played it in months, but I can play it now with a decent amount of graphic detail.

Downloading Civilization V now.

major7
Apr 9, 2011, 02:15 PM
Great to hear.....Civ 5 is heavy...probably gonna get low fps....but i dont know because i dont play that...

Tomorrow i'm going back to 10.6.5, then .6 and then .7....compare results of CSSource and Killing Floor....and then decide which to keep.

Também tenho tios no Brasil ;)

GreyMatta
Apr 9, 2011, 02:21 PM
Great to hear.....Civ 5 is heavy...probably gonna get low fps....but i dont know because i dont play that...

Tomorrow i'm going back to 10.6.5, then .6 and then .7....compare results of CSSource and Killing Floor....and then decide which to keep.

Também tenho tios no Brasil ;)

good luck

keep us posted :D

lucashungaro
Apr 9, 2011, 03:17 PM
Civilization V is running fine too (1440x900, Low/Medium settings). Actually better than the last time I played (December). The OS X version performs worse than the Windows one, but I think they released some patches that got it better over the last months.

mrsir2009
Apr 9, 2011, 03:49 PM
Neither does Microsoft...

There's a little something called Windows7 default user friendliness *shudder*

klaze
Apr 9, 2011, 06:35 PM
If you update to 10.6.7, but play games on Bootcamp, will there be a loss of gaming performance? thanks!

BlackMax
Apr 9, 2011, 07:42 PM
Just upgraded from OS X 10.6.6 to 10.6.7 using the incremental upgrade and my FPS in SC2 are the same if not 2-3 FPS better. Thanks again GreyMatta for figuring this out.

lucashungaro
Apr 9, 2011, 07:56 PM
If you update to 10.6.7, but play games on Bootcamp, will there be a loss of gaming performance? thanks!

No.

mag01
Apr 10, 2011, 11:11 AM
Did anyone try going (from < 10.6.5) to 10.6.6 via Combo Update and then to 10.6.7 with just that incremental one? I guess that should be the way as well as the 10.6.7 Combo Update seems to be the main issue.

mixvio
Apr 10, 2011, 05:34 PM
I just made a thread about this, I probably should have looked first because I was convinced I'd broken something:

I've been having a slight issue with my Air. I went through the reformat/reinstall process a week or two ago because I was trying to put a Windows partition on the machine for some light gaming, but I ended up changing my mind and revoking the Boot Camp part entirely. Nevertheless, since I've reinstalled, I have noticed a big decrease in the Air's capabilities re: graphics and gaming that I am all but certain isn't placebo.

I bought a 13" MacBook Pro because I wanted the better specs but after a week or so with it I decided I preferred the Air more after all so I took it back and returned it. I'd fiddled with trying to get a gaming partition on my Air but changed my mind on that too and reformatted completely to reinstall.

Prior to that, I was running 10.6.6 on the Air. After I reformatted, I used the Software Update combo updater to go to 10.6.7 directly and I noticed an immediate degradation in anything using the GPU.

Starcraft was playable for me under medium settings and now I have to drop it to low just to get 30 FPS. I had an XP virtual machine under Parallels which I used for things like League of Legends and the game is just unplayable now. Even games with OS X specific ports that I've bought through Steam or the Mac App Store don't play the way they did under 10.6.6.

It's not a slight decrease, in a number of cases it's gone from "worked fine" to "completely unusable." Even my 27" monitor with a 2560x1440 resolution is dying under 10.6.7. Switching between spaces and activating Expose makes the system stutter with low FPS.

I thought it was something I'd done by using the combo updater, but I didn't realise it was a widespread issue.

So is there anything to do for this other than reformatting and reinstalling the updates one by one? Has anyone actually confirmed that fixes it?

GreyMatta
Apr 10, 2011, 05:51 PM
So far the only way to fix it is to reinstall and do the separate updates without using the software update app until you are on 10.6.7

Everybody who has reported on trying this has had success

major7
Apr 10, 2011, 06:12 PM
Hi, i just begin my process.

installed 10.6.4 from usb pen drive and tried KF and CS Source.

KF (Default: all high/medium) : around 20fps avg when monsters arrive.

CS:Source (all high/medium) : between 20/30 when facing enemy.

Much worse that 10.6.7, specially on CS (very noticeable)

I'm downloading now 10.6.5....

mixvio
Apr 10, 2011, 09:19 PM
Hi, i just begin my process.

installed 10.6.4 from usb pen drive and tried KF and CS Source.

KF (Default: all high/medium) : around 20fps avg when monsters arrive.

CS:Source (all high/medium) : between 20/30 when facing enemy.

Much worse that 10.6.7, specially on CS (very noticeable)

I'm downloading now 10.6.5....

10.6.5 included the graphics update, so that's not a surprise that 10.6.4 performs poorly. Do come back and update if the incremental updates fix it, I'm in the process of backing things up to reformat myself (not looking forward to it!) so I'm hopeful this does the trick.

major7
Apr 11, 2011, 07:05 AM
Hi!

So, after going back to 10.6.4 and manually install 10.6.5, 10.6.6 and finally 10.6.7 here is what i came up to regarding Killing Floor and CS Source (Played the same maps with same default display options: All high/ Medium, native resolution)

10.6.4: The worst....lowests fps values for those games. Steady 20's for KF and 20/30 for CS.

10.6.5 and 10.6.6: Around 30/35 for KF and 40 for CS.

10.6.7: Around 25 for KF and 40 for CS.

It's hard to be more precise as the fps values vary a lot. Except for 10.6.4, all fps values, when maps are starting, start at 60, 80 or 100 but then drop to those values when facing the enemy and that's what matters.

I seem to notice some improvments going from 10.6.5 to 10.6.6 but that could be my imagination as values looked the same.

Now, from 10.6.6 to 10.6.7 i noticed, that with .7, it was a little worse, specially on KF but also found that on CS, fps values, altough almost the same, do vary more than on 10.6.6.

Honestly, as i don't play alot and don't find those differences significant, i'm going to stick with 10.6.7. It's still an update and must have some improvements in other areas.

Ah, i came to the conclusion that i get the same fps values for 10.6.7 installed from soft. update before! I believe you when you say SC2 improved so maybe it wasn't such a waste of time...lol

GreyMatta
Apr 11, 2011, 08:03 AM
Hi!

So, after going back to 10.6.4 and manually install 10.6.5, 10.6.6 and finally 10.6.7 here is what i came up to regarding Killing Floor and CS Source (Played the same maps with same default display options: All high/ Medium, native resolution)

10.6.4: The worst....lowests fps values for those games. Steady 20's for KF and 20/30 for CS.

It's hard to be more precise as the fps values vary a lot. Except for 10.6.4, all fps values, when maps are starting, start at 60, 80 or 100 but then drop to those values when facing the enemy and that's what matters.

I seem to notice some improvments going from 10.6.5 to 10.6.6 but that could be my imagination as values looked the same.

Now, from 10.6.6 to 10.6.7 i noticed, that with .7, it was a little worse, specially on KF but also found that on CS, fps values, altough almost the same, do vary more than on 10.6.6.

Honestly, as i don't play alot and don't find those differences significant, i'm going to stick with 10.6.7. It's still an update and must have some improvements in other areas.

Ah, i came to the conclusion that i get the same fps values for 10.6.7 installed from soft. update before! I believe you when you say SC2 improved so maybe it wasn't such a waste of time...lol

at least you didnt get the massive performance drop from the 10.6.7 combo update :)

lucashungaro
Apr 11, 2011, 08:13 AM
Hi!

10.6.4 had a bug on the graphic drivers I think. Good to see you got rid of the issues with gaming! :)

Installing the 10.6.7 from Software Update when you're on 10.6.6 probably doesn't use the combo update, but I lost so much time doing all that reinstalling (2 times in a week as I had previously downgraded from Lion Preview days ago) that I just didn't want to risk even more. :D

First time in three years using Apple products that I have this kind of problems. This and iOS 4.3.x draining my iPhone battery like crazy. Hope they get back to normal soon. :apple:

jhatz
Apr 13, 2011, 01:09 PM

I'm looking to buy a 11" ultimate in the next few days. What OS version will it be loaded with? If it's higher than 10.6.5 do I need to reinstall the OS and incremental update like you have described above?

GreyMatta
Apr 13, 2011, 01:17 PM
I'm looking to buy a 11" ultimate in the next few days. What OS version will it be loaded with? If it's higher than 10.6.5 do I need to reinstall the OS and incremental update like you have described above?

yes I think they still ship with 10.6.5

panzer06
Apr 13, 2011, 02:10 PM
yes I think they still ship with 10.6.5

Mine shipped w 10.6.5 and there it stays for now.

Cheers,

IscariotJ
Apr 13, 2011, 04:16 PM
This and iOS 4.3.x draining my iPhone battery like crazy. Hope they get back to normal soon. :apple:

Disabling Ping increased the battery life on my 3GS....

neenja
Apr 16, 2011, 01:29 AM
im having issues also. might try a clean isntall and updates from the site.. sigh.

skrysko
Apr 17, 2011, 12:05 AM
I was having problems with my 11" MacBook Air playing MP4 videos full screen, they were totally choppy. Installing the 10.6.6 and 10.6.7 updates manually from the Apple site has fixed the problem.

Thanks!

Killery96
Apr 17, 2011, 10:50 PM
Okay, 2.26 C2D, 4g RAM, 9400M, 1280x800. I play starcraft 2 on all ultra minus shaders which are at low. I usually get anywhere from 70 to 20 FPS, depending drastically on where I am in the game. I updated from 10.6.7 and I get a max of 20 FPS on those settings, and a minimum of about .7FPS. Glad I have that back up.

E.

Cerano
Apr 22, 2011, 09:16 PM
guys i wiped my ssd clean, did a fresh install from 10.6.5 and updated manually to 10.6.7

still not working mate

jim.ryan
Apr 26, 2011, 12:44 AM
Is everyone still seeing poor graphics performance with 10.6.7? I had been holding off updating, but now Portal 2 requires 10.6.7, and I was hoping to be able to play it on my MBA.

I really don't game very much on here, so if it hurts performance elsewhere (i.e. Photoshop, which I need for work), then it's not worth it for me.

Thanks,
Jim

ZipZap
Apr 26, 2011, 04:37 AM
I have a new MBA purchased in March with 10.6.5. I upgraded to 10.6.6 using software update the first day as this was the newest OS.

Whats the best way to determine my graphics performance at this point.

Need to determine if I should start back on 10.6.5 or whether I can install 10.6.7 incremental/supplemental.

Thanks

jim.ryan
Apr 26, 2011, 09:27 PM
I have a new MBA purchased in March with 10.6.5. I upgraded to 10.6.6 using software update the first day as this was the newest OS.

Whats the best way to determine my graphics performance at this point.

Need to determine if I should start back on 10.6.5 or whether I can install 10.6.7 incremental/supplemental.

Thanks

10.6.7 appears to be the problem, not 10.6.6. You can check out Xbench (http://www.xbench.com/), or otherwise just start up a game and have it show the framerate (differs depending on the game, in most Source-based games, enter "cl_showfps 1" in the game's console [that's from memory, I may be wrong]).

Of course, there's no way to determine what's going to happen after installing 10.6.7, so you may just have to go for it, or wait for someone to reply to my post (above).

If you do decide to give it a go, post your results, as I'm in the exact same boat :)

Jim

Torrential
Apr 27, 2011, 01:17 AM
One more data point:

MBA 11 Ultimate

Unboxed and immediately updated to 10.6.7 through "software update"...mistake

720p video was unwatchable; constant stuttering

Reverted to 10.6.5 using included usb drive and installed 10.6.6 combo update

720p video runs smoothly

I haven't tried the incremental update to 10.6.7 yet, can anyone confirm that this is safe?

Thanks. This is my first Mac, and this forum has been very helpful.

GreyMatta
Apr 27, 2011, 07:20 AM
One more data point:

MBA 11 Ultimate

Unboxed and immediately updated to 10.6.7 through "software update"...mistake

720p video was unwatchable; constant stuttering

Reverted to 10.6.5 using included usb drive and installed 10.6.6 combo update

720p video runs smoothly

I haven't tried the incremental update to 10.6.7 yet, can anyone confirm that this is safe?

Thanks. This is my first Mac, and this forum has been very helpful.

as long as you dont use the 10.6.7 combo update you will be OK

jim.ryan
Apr 27, 2011, 03:51 PM
as long as you dont use the 10.6.7 combo update you will be OK

So the problem is actually with the combo update?

I'm on 10.6.6, and Software Update wants to update me to 10.6.7, would that be good, or is that the "combo update"? If not, how can I update to 10.6.7?

Thanks,
JIm

GreyMatta
Apr 27, 2011, 04:10 PM
So the problem is actually with the combo update?

I'm on 10.6.6, and Software Update wants to update me to 10.6.7, would that be good, or is that the "combo update"? If not, how can I update to 10.6.7?

Thanks,
JIm

I downloaded this

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1343 for the update to 10.6.6

and then I downloaded this

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1363 for the update to 10.6.7

once I had run these I then did a software update :)

jim.ryan
Apr 27, 2011, 07:36 PM
I downloaded this

Sweet, thanks! I'll give that a shot and hopefully avoid the headaches everyone else is having.

bcaslis
Apr 27, 2011, 07:45 PM
10.6.7 appears to be the problem, not 10.6.6. You can check out Xbench (http://www.xbench.com/), or otherwise just start up a game and have it show the framerate (differs depending on the game, in most Source-based games, enter "cl_showfps 1" in the game's console [that's from memory, I may be wrong]).

Of course, there's no way to determine what's going to happen after installing 10.6.7, so you may just have to go for it, or wait for someone to reply to my post (above).

If you do decide to give it a go, post your results, as I'm in the exact same boat :)

Jim

So what's a "good" number and a "bad" number in Xbench?

Susurs
Apr 28, 2011, 02:03 AM
And still no action from Apple's side about this problem... :(

Cerano
Apr 28, 2011, 02:44 AM
So what's a "good" number and a "bad" number in Xbench?

look at my numbers. they are considered bad

lucashungaro
Apr 28, 2011, 05:08 PM
And still no action from Apple's side about this problem... :(

They won't assume it and will silently fix the issue with 10.6.8.

iNeko
Apr 29, 2011, 02:56 AM
I just tested mine, and I think it's in the "bad" range, because both the 9400 and 9600 in my Macbook Pro smokes it:

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/584/screenshot20110429at082.png http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/472/screenshot20110429at083.jpg http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/8375/screenshot20110429at084.jpg

macsrcool1234
Apr 29, 2011, 09:14 AM
can somebody please help me with going back and reinstalling?

this is my first mac and i have no idea what i doing. i understand how to reinstall osx and properly update it incrementally.

is there's a way to back everything up (applications included) and restore them once i've reinstalled? also, would this restore the "bad" settings that cause the problem in the first place? thanks.

Lord Appleseed
Apr 29, 2011, 10:14 AM
can somebody please help me with going back and reinstalling?

this is my first mac and i have no idea what i doing. i understand how to reinstall osx and properly update it incrementally.

is there's a way to back everything up (applications included) and restore them once i've reinstalled? also, would this restore the "bad" settings that cause the problem in the first place? thanks.

Do a Time-Machine backup with a portable hard drive to save your Data and Programs.
Then stick in the USB stick with the Mac Software, select Disk Utility before Installation and delete the MB Airs hard drive first, then do a clean install of Snow Leopard, download and install the updates and then restore the system with your Time Machine backup. -> DONE.

zepharus
Apr 29, 2011, 10:18 AM
I downloaded this

+1 do THIS and you will be fine. People dont pay attention or read. Incremental upgrades fix the issue.

macsrcool1234
Apr 29, 2011, 12:06 PM
Do a Time-Machine backup with a portable hard drive to save your Data and Programs.
Then stick in the USB stick with the Mac Software, select Disk Utility before Installation and delete the MB Airs hard drive first, then do a clean install of Snow Leopard, download and install the updates and then restore the system with your Time Machine backup. -> DONE.

Thank you very much! Doing it now. I was just worried that restoring from a time machine backup would also restore the "bad" files as well. Admittedly, I don't understand everything yet (im still learning how to use a mac).

Lord Appleseed
Apr 29, 2011, 01:28 PM
Thank you very much! Doing it now. I was just worried that restoring from a time machine backup would also restore the "bad" files as well. Admittedly, I don't understand everything yet (im still learning how to use a mac).

It shouldn't since time machine is just saving personal data, documents and programs, basically everything in your User-Account Folder.

bcaslis
Apr 29, 2011, 04:15 PM
It shouldn't since time machine is just saving personal data, documents and programs, basically everything in your User-Account Folder.

Time Machine backups up the entire computer, not just your user account. That's why if you restore from a time machine backup you can restore apps and system settings also.

iNeko
Apr 29, 2011, 07:59 PM
+1 do THIS and you will be fine. People dont pay attention or read. Incremental upgrades fix the issue.

I did it incremental from a fresh format (when I got the air) and I still have 'bad' numbers. The machine still works just fine however, but I won't complain if I can get even more performance from it! :D

Mechinyun
Apr 29, 2011, 08:01 PM
10.6.7 is garbage.

I have a ultimate 13'', once i installed .7 i noticed a immediate drop in performance system wide. I dont game, but youtube videos became jerky, system animations became jerky, slower responsiveness, and when i had a bunch of apps open, the system just became funky..

soooo.. i did a full clean reinstall.. back to 10.6.7.. exact same behavior right "out of the box"

Wiped again... when to 10.6.6.. smooth as butter.

Im sticking with 10.6.6 till .8 comes out... i hear you guys about the incremental upgrade path MAY not cause these issues.. but meh.. i dont want to risk it and really what does .7 add?

Just another voice in the choir.. 10.6.7 is F*CKED for us air users. WTF apple.

Lord Appleseed
Apr 30, 2011, 02:13 AM
Time Machine backups up the entire computer, not just your user account. That's why if you restore from a time machine backup you can restore apps and system settings also.

But it doesn't save drivers and such, which is what I meant. So restoring the System wouldn't reverse it the performance issues it had before.

jim.ryan
Apr 30, 2011, 11:07 AM
I downloaded this

+1, I was already on 10.6.6, running that update to 10.6.7 was fine for me, at least according to Xbench. Just installed the update, but so far everything seems to be running smoothly.

Thanks again!

Jim