PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air 13 (Late 2010) iTunes Freezes after 10.6.7

thewizardofoz
Mar 26, 2011, 03:25 AM
Hi,

I updated my Mac OS to 10.6.7. After that when I start iTunes, the computer freezes with no controls working except the power button. I tried restarting the system and again trying the same, repair disk permissions after booting into safe mode, still the issue persists. Any clues or quick fixes for the same.

oz

Psilocybin
Mar 26, 2011, 06:32 AM
Plugged in my new iPad 2 and bang froze. Start iTunes bang froze. To answer your question most have this problem and I have no idea how to resolve it

Insilin1i
Mar 26, 2011, 07:30 AM
I have the same problem. Connected a friends iphone and it froze, I restarted the computer and it froze again. My iMac is working fine with the update so not sure what they did on the MBA.

nucleus
Mar 26, 2011, 08:00 AM
Hi everybody,

I'm experiencing the same problem. By the way, here is the link to the discussion forums about the issue:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2790883&start=0&tstart=0

KPOM
Mar 26, 2011, 08:04 AM
It's all over this thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1122287

Also, there's an Apple discussion thread about it.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2791293&start=0&tstart=0

There are some temporary fixes but nothing permanent yet.

Oddly, I haven't had the issue (yet), but lots of people have.

Boston007
Mar 26, 2011, 08:21 AM
It's all over this thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1122287

Also, there's an Apple discussion thread about it.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2791293&start=0&tstart=0

There are some temporary fixes but nothing permanent yet.

Oddly, I haven't had the issue (yet), but lots of people have.

Does Apple do QA anymore?

christophermdia
Mar 26, 2011, 08:30 AM
I did the whole boot into safe mode repair disk permissions, shut down, startup, shut down, start up, shut down, start up, then opened itunes....and this worked. i was getting rather desperate since I had taken my MBA to best buy with me to pick up my ipad 2 and so I could activate it, but the crashing kept killing me....took me about 20 min but got it all working.

Ravenwolf40
Mar 26, 2011, 09:09 AM
I do not currently own a MBA (but was seriously considering going to get one/order one today), but now I may wait again after reading through some of these posts.

But I have noticed in reading through the posts (as have others) that almost everyone having issues has the maxed out version of the machine (like 13", 2.13, 4gbram, 256ssd). So I'm wondering if it is limited to that version for some reason? Maybe a quick rundown in here of who IS and who IS NOT having the problem and what specs you have?

Also, this is just an idea. But the people experiencing this problem, do you have an SD card inserted? Or a USB device plugged in? If you remove the SD card and all USB connections, does the problem still persist? Stupid idea probably, but figured it may be worth mentioning.

I don't know, just some thoughts to see if we can get some posts in here to help figure out why this may be happening to others. Again, I personally have nothing to gain or lose by this right now other than my future purchase is now delayed until this is fixed. I was going to either order the MBA 13" 4gb $1399 or just go to the store to get the $1299 one today, but now I wait, such is life :P.

I can say that I updated my iMac 21.5", 4gb ram, 500gb standard hard drive, 3.06GHz C2D processor to 10.6.7 and have not noticed anything wrong with my desktop. I just opened itunes and downloaded my podcasts and updated apps for my ipod touch, syncing worked fine and exiting itunes worked fine. Just for my specs and experienced to be logged in here.

Good luck to everyone with the issues, I hope it is corrected soon for you.

Peace...

Hey Jude
Mar 26, 2011, 09:20 AM
After reading some of the threads here at MR, I deliberately left off 10.6.7 upgrade when I upgraded my new MBA yesterday, and will only upgrade after the kinks are sorted out.

Hope a resolution is found for those experiencing issues.

Winglet
Mar 26, 2011, 09:53 AM
I reloaded iTunes and it works fine.

socrates key
Mar 26, 2011, 10:00 AM
Reinstalling itunes did the trick for me. Anyone know if this bug is affecting any other programs or just itunes?

jamesryanbell
Mar 26, 2011, 11:17 AM
There are numerous threads about this.

Beaverman3001
Mar 26, 2011, 11:19 AM
Deleting iTunes preference files seems to have fixed it for me

Salty Pirate
Mar 26, 2011, 11:29 AM
All of the "fixes" listed in all the discussions are temporary. Still having iTunes freeze the system.

fkhan3
Mar 26, 2011, 11:45 AM
I do not currently own a MBA (but was seriously considering going to get one/order one today), but now I may wait again after reading through some of these posts.

But I have noticed in reading through the posts (as have others) that almost everyone having issues has the maxed out version of the machine (like 13", 2.13, 4gbram, 256ssd). So I'm wondering if it is limited to that version for some reason? Maybe a quick rundown in here of who IS and who IS NOT having the problem and what specs you have?

Also, this is just an idea. But the people experiencing this problem, do you have an SD card inserted? Or a USB device plugged in? If you remove the SD card and all USB connections, does the problem still persist? Stupid idea probably, but figured it may be worth mentioning.

I don't know, just some thoughts to see if we can get some posts in here to help figure out why this may be happening to others. Again, I personally have nothing to gain or lose by this right now other than my future purchase is now delayed until this is fixed. I was going to either order the MBA 13" 4gb $1399 or just go to the store to get the $1299 one today, but now I wait, such is life :P.

I can say that I updated my iMac 21.5", 4gb ram, 500gb standard hard drive, 3.06GHz C2D processor to 10.6.7 and have not noticed anything wrong with my desktop. I just opened itunes and downloaded my podcasts and updated apps for my ipod touch, syncing worked fine and exiting itunes worked fine. Just for my specs and experienced to be logged in here.

Good luck to everyone with the issues, I hope it is corrected soon for you.

Peace...

I have maxed out MBA but I am not having this issue. I have used itunes multiple times after the update and it seems fine.

JonLa
Mar 26, 2011, 12:12 PM
Twice now I've avoided the freeze on mine by starting the Mac App store before I start Itunes, then leaving Itunes running. Not sure if this is a workaround or pure luck..

jamesryanbell
Mar 26, 2011, 12:37 PM
Deleting iTunes preference files seems to have fixed it for me

How do you do that?

Psilocybin
Mar 26, 2011, 12:56 PM
deleting preferences is a no go over here

Psilocybin
Mar 26, 2011, 04:24 PM
I seem to have fixed the problem. I used appzapper to delete iTunes. Than I went into user/library/preferences did a search for iTunes deleted all of those preference files and than reinstalled iTunes

No more freezing haha

radcity
Mar 26, 2011, 06:39 PM
i froze up while trying to use wifi. but it appears the problem has fixed itself?

i restarted a few times. been working fine now for a couple days.

KPOM
Mar 26, 2011, 07:05 PM
I seem to have fixed the problem. I used appzapper to delete iTunes. Than I went into user/library/preferences did a search for iTunes deleted all of those preference files and than reinstalled iTunes

No more freezing haha

Does this appear to be a permanent fix or just a temporary one?

thewizardofoz
Mar 26, 2011, 07:14 PM
i have tried all the steps mentioned, including uninstalling and reinstalling itunes. I hope apple releases a fix for the same quickly as the number of people affected seems to be increasing.

Psilocybin
Mar 26, 2011, 07:26 PM
Does this appear to be a permanent fix or just a temporary one?

So far nothing most likely just temporary though it will probably freeze in a week or so lol

chiamac
Mar 26, 2011, 08:25 PM
Got a maxed 13" and it's freezing what appears to be in 1 out of 3 to 4 times opening iTunes 10.2.1

Just found out I'm not the only one. Don't have time to try the fixes, would rather wait for an update.

thewizardofoz
Mar 26, 2011, 08:44 PM
I came across a temporary solution.

1. Close all applications
2. Switch off Airport
3. Restart
4. Start iTunes
5. Start Airport

It seems to be working now, I am not sure the reason behind it, or how long the fix is going to last (a session, a day, no clue!)

I would like to wait for official fix if this happens again.

oz

Beaverman3001
Mar 27, 2011, 12:08 AM
Deleting preferences seemed to only work for a day sadly. On the bright side it seems to be a wide scale problem, so a fix should happen relatively fast.

noripwr
Mar 27, 2011, 04:03 AM
Is this a complete lock-up (e.g., cursor no longer moves, keyboard input no longer works) and only power-button works? IF so, geez I've been getting it lately and only when iTunes is open.

Psilocybin
Mar 27, 2011, 05:56 AM
Is this a complete lock-up (e.g., cursor no longer moves, keyboard input no longer works) and only power-button works? IF so, geez I've been getting it lately and only when iTunes is open.

Ya it's complete lock up. It's crap

mozartwon
Mar 27, 2011, 07:49 AM
Same Problem!! Apple please fix ASAP!!

Psilocybin
Mar 27, 2011, 08:49 AM
Since it's only happening to the airs could it be an issue with the SSD that was brought upon us by the update. Compatibility issue maybe?

KPOM
Mar 27, 2011, 09:14 AM
Since it's only happening to the airs could it be an issue with the SSD that was brought upon us by the update. Compatibility issue maybe?

I haven't heard reports of it affecting older MacBook Airs, or MacBook Pros equipped with SSDs.

aldo818
Mar 27, 2011, 11:16 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Uninstalled re installed itunes it still freezes anyone knows something else i could try. I wonder how apple could release an update with such a bug. Can t update iphone ipad etc....

mozartwon
Mar 27, 2011, 11:38 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Uninstalled re installed itunes it still freezes anyone knows something else i could try. I wonder how apple could release an update with such a bug. Can t update iphone ipad etc....

I can confirm that opening the Apps Store application first, and then opening
ITunes works every time. Try it. This was first reported on Apple's Air
forum website.

gshall
Mar 27, 2011, 02:58 PM
forum website.

I tried it. It doesn't work. ITunes froze immediately.:(

retrospek
Mar 27, 2011, 03:30 PM
This is crazy ! My MBA just froze just because I opened iTunes !

Come on Apple sort it out ! :(

b-rad g
Mar 27, 2011, 08:51 PM
So I just deleted the iTunes preferences from ~/Library/Preferences and now have iTunes open and home sharing from my Mini.

Don't know if it is temporary or not but it isn't frozen so that's a step in the right direction.

halledise
Mar 27, 2011, 09:39 PM
I had the same iTunes freeze issues repeatedly after SW update to 10.6.7

fortunately, I'd backed up all my personal data before the update and had actually downloaded the Combo.

so I bit the bullet, erased the HDD, installed 10.6.4 from the usb stick and then immediately the 10.6.7 update.
I then tested iTunes by letting it find all the relevant music and movies files automatically.

Once assured it was working normally, I then continued installing the rest of my apps and personal files.

no problems at all now - at a loss to explain what the issue was …

the above remedy may seem a bit extreme but i worked for me and at least I'm not tearing my hair out getting frustrated by freezes nor awaiting a patch from Apple

gshall
Mar 27, 2011, 11:38 PM
forum website.

I take it back. It DOES work. I had forgotten to reboot first. In fact, I think if you don't reboot you can close App Store.

A very Mac and programing savvy friend of mine thinks that 10.6.7 might not start something iTunes needs but the App Store app does start it. Makes sense.

major7
Mar 28, 2011, 04:35 AM
So...in order to listen to music we have to go to their shop....so sad...

it's even more sad that we don't hear an apologie of some kind....was it hard to say: sorry, we messed up and we're trying to work it out as soon as we can"?
Instead...we're just here in the dark making combinations of "open this app 1st then you can open the 2nd without freezing your mba"...as i said...so sad.

iNotion
Mar 28, 2011, 05:00 AM
Seriously, it doesn't make any sense~
I am going back to 10.6.6. now... as in now...

andothfc
Mar 28, 2011, 06:35 AM
I called Apple because after updating to 10.6.7 iTunes would cause my Air to freeze every time. They told me to delete the startup items (Sys Prefs > Account >Login Items) and restart.

This has completely fixed the problem for me.

major7
Mar 28, 2011, 06:40 AM
I would go back but i don't feel like having to install everything again...i didnt back it all up.

It's been a week since the update...no words so far from Apple...i'll wait till the end of the week and if there's any news till then, i'll have to go back to 10.6.6 no matter what.

Things like this matter....it will be hard to forget this when new softwares will be relesased or when i intend to buy anything from Apple again... I'll be more carefull then.

Scottsdale
Mar 28, 2011, 07:16 AM
Sounds like between this and OpenGL downgrade this is not a worthy update. I used to update the day of releases, but back around 10.6.2 Apple trashed OpenGL performance and I stopped... I am happy running an older version... and ensuring everything actually works.

Sorry to all for the OpenGL and iTunes problems. Good luck!

gshall
Mar 28, 2011, 11:59 AM
I would go back but i don't feel like having to install everything again...i didnt back it all up.

It's been a week since the update...no words so far from Apple...i'll wait till the end of the week and if there's any news till then, i'll have to go back to 10.6.6 no matter what.

Things like this matter....it will be hard to forget this when new softwares will be relesased or when i intend to buy anything from Apple again... I'll be more carefull then.

I am a Mac newbie. How do I go back to 10.6.6? (I just got this machine about two weeks ago.)

KPOM
Mar 28, 2011, 02:36 PM
I am a Mac newbie. How do I go back to 10.6.6? (I just got this machine about two weeks ago.)

Unfortunately, the main way to do it is to do a clean install (which will either install 10.6.4 or 10.6.5 - whichever version your Mac shipped with), and then update to 10.6.6 - Apple still has the 10.6.6 file on its website.

If you want to go this route and have an external hard drive, I recommend backing up with Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner, doing the clean install, and using Migration Assistant to move your applications back to the SSD. Alternatively, if you clone the drive (using CCC or a similar application), you can usually just drag the Applications folder from the external drive to the SSD. Technically you should also copy your Library folder over, too, but that might add the offending driver(s) that cause the slowdowns and crashes.

henry72
Mar 28, 2011, 05:56 PM
I'm glad that you guys are having the same problem not just me!! So we should just wait for another software update I guess.

KhaiAsh
Mar 28, 2011, 09:14 PM
I called Apple because after updating to 10.6.7 iTunes would cause my Air to freeze every time. They told me to delete the startup items (Sys Prefs > Account >Login Items) and restart.

Do you mean delete all the startup items? Can we just untick the startup items?

slapguts
Mar 28, 2011, 09:41 PM
Well, I'm finally giving up, and reinstalling to get back to 10.6.6. Going to wait until right before bed tonight, so Time Machine can do it's restore business while I sleep.

Please go to Apple's feedback page, and let them know you are having this issue. The squeaky wheel gets the grease…

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookair.html

major7
Mar 28, 2011, 09:55 PM

I have no startup items so....oddly what works for some dont work for others...

Noob question: Using time machine to migrate apps is the same as installing them from the start? no harm done? what else can i keep using it now except from the software? ( i mean stupid things like keeping monolingual languages removed and not obviously stored data)

andothfc
Mar 29, 2011, 05:11 AM
Do you mean delete all the startup items? Can we just untick the startup items?

Ticking/unticking just hides them, it doesn't change whether they start up or not. You have to delete them from the login items.

beebler
Mar 29, 2011, 10:44 AM
Same here, freezing when I've open iTunes. It usually happens when I plug in my external hard drive as well as open iTunes. Everything frozen, only could power off and on. I get it to work after a few times...the last time it did, I opened iTunes first which worked, then plugged my external hard drive in.

I'm using 10.6.7 as well.

BENJMNS
Mar 29, 2011, 09:18 PM
Still no fix? What happened to Apples not crashing? How could they let this egregious error slip through the cracks?

MacTribune
Mar 29, 2011, 10:07 PM
... deleted

KPOM
Mar 29, 2011, 10:45 PM
I tried the airport tweak, not working... tried reinstalling itunes... not working. This is what we get for rushing out an update and us sheep installing it :) Thanks Steve! j/k

He's on medical leave. Blame Tim.

Seriously, though, Apple needs to fix this ASAP. The MacBook Air was the best selling Mac over the holiday season, and likely sold another 700,000 over the last 3 months. Angering 1.7 million Mac buyers (many possibly first-time buyers) isn't a good long term strategy.

JonLa
Mar 30, 2011, 02:01 AM
Have you tried rebooting, starting the mac App store, then itunes? Not a fix, but a workaround.

Works for me - well, so far, as I don't reboot very often, and I tend to leave itunes open. The only other fix I've tried so far was deleting that genius file in the itunes directory but that did nothing.

NZed
Mar 30, 2011, 02:31 AM
a couple reboots would work or reinstall iTunes... i've read somewhere that this should do the trick!

jamesryanbell
Mar 30, 2011, 09:17 AM
Mine shipped with 10.6.5.

I'm just not updating till a fix is released.

aldo818
Mar 30, 2011, 11:28 AM
Me i also get problems with safari specially on Facebook when i look at pics in the theater mode. I always see this rainbow circle plus when i ve several apps open i see it also.

Does anyone has the same synthomes ?

magbarn
Mar 30, 2011, 11:41 AM
Mine shipped with 10.6.5.

I'm just not updating till a fix is released.

I wish I had your option as mine's been freezing regularly in iTunes since 10.6.7. The only way to go back would be to erase/re-install. I just don't have the time for that!

BENJMNS
Mar 30, 2011, 02:07 PM
I wish I had your option as mine's been freezing regularly in iTunes since 10.6.7. The only way to go back would be to erase/re-install. I just don't have the time for that!

same same same

amazing how people assume one has no life outside of the computer to even begin to have the energy to F around with software issues that shouldn't exist in the first place.

KPOM
Mar 30, 2011, 02:50 PM

If you have an external drive then it may be quicker than you think. Back up your drive using Carbon Copy Cloner or a similar utility (it's a good idea to do this periodically, anyway). Insert the USB restore stick, reboot and then do a clean install of the OS. Then plug in your external drive and use Migration Assistant to move the data and applications over again. It takes about 15-20 minutes to reinstall OS X. You can run Migration Assistant overnight if it looks like it will take a while.

Yes, it's a hassle, but until Apple does a fix that could get your system working again.

halledise
Mar 30, 2011, 03:04 PM

with iTunes closed
go to home/library/preferences

delete all files starting with com.apple.iTunes. - like com.apple.iTunes.plist; com.apple.iTunes.eq.plist; com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist

empty trash

go to login items in System Preferences under Accounts
highlight and '-' iTunes Helper if it appears there.

restart your Mac :)

launch iTunes and see if the problem persists.
it probably won't now.

yet if it does, refer to previous 'fix suggestions' ;)

slapguts
Mar 30, 2011, 03:33 PM
Apple released a fix!

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1370

jamesryanbell
Mar 30, 2011, 03:58 PM
Apple released a fix!

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1370

Where's the fix for the 11" models??

aristobrat
Mar 30, 2011, 04:00 PM
When did the 11" models start having this problem?

jamesryanbell
Mar 30, 2011, 04:01 PM
It's a problem for ALL Airs, isn't it? That's why I haven't updated yet.

UberMac
Mar 30, 2011, 04:04 PM
Just the 13" as far as I'm aware. Though my 13" hasn't had the problem anyway...

slapguts
Mar 30, 2011, 04:09 PM

I don't know, I don't own an 11" model. Check software update, I guess.

iKennett
Mar 30, 2011, 04:12 PM
I don't know, I don't own an 11" model. Check software update, I guess.

Not that I am aware of any issue but no update for the 11" MBA.

halledise
Mar 31, 2011, 03:54 AM

right here, right now … :D

with iTunes closed
go to home/library/preferences

delete all files starting with com.apple.iTunes. - like com.apple.iTunes.plist; com.apple.iTunes.eq.plist; com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist

empty trash

go to login items in System Preferences under Accounts
highlight and '-' iTunes Helper if it appears there.

restart your Mac

launch iTunes and see if the problem persists.
it probably won't now.

KPOM
Mar 31, 2011, 07:49 AM
Not that I am aware of any issue but no update for the 11" MBA.

I think the issue was more prevalent on 13", but perhaps the 11" fix is in the works. That said, I noticed that while Software Update won't detect the fix if you are running an 11", you can still download it from Apple's support site and install it manually. If you are having issues, it's worth a shot.

Marconelly
Mar 31, 2011, 11:36 PM
This probably won't fix the video driver issue that makes 3D games work like crap under 10.6.7

I'm still not installing anything, until all the issues are fixed.

BENJMNS
Apr 2, 2011, 12:39 AM
sounding the alarm bells, supplemental update is out for 13" MBAs baby

skymac92
Jun 11, 2011, 11:17 PM
Here's the supplemental Update for the itunes freeze on the MBAs (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1338)