Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
With most previous new releases of OS X, there have been massive bugs in versions 10.x.0 and 10.x.1. It seems that if one were really eager to use a new version of OS X but also wanted some peace of mind, then the earliest he should install the new OS is when 10.x.2 comes out. It appears that the biggest leap in stability and reliability often occurs when 10.x.3 is released.

What are your opinions?

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think I will get it when it comes out.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
If you rely on your computer to make money, it's a valid concern. While I've personally never had any teething problems with 10.*.0 releases, but this is a personal machine that I just use for uni. I'll be using Lion asap.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I bought and installed Snow Leopard on the day it came out and never had any major issues with it. I've been running the Lion beta for almost a month now and have not had any major issues with it either.

If you are concerned, you could just create a new partition for Lion and test it. Then you can switch back to SL if it turns out to be buggy.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
With most previous new releases of OS X, there have been massive bugs in versions 10.x.0 and 10.x.1. It seems that if one were really eager to use a new version of OS X but also wanted some peace of mind, then the earliest he should install the new OS is when 10.x.2 comes out. It appears that the biggest leap in stability and reliability often occurs when 10.x.3 is released.

What are your opinions?

Whatever works for you bro. OS upgrades aren't worth giving up peace of mind.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I love the pre-release declarations of dissatisfaction and rejection of an app, OS, or device based on virtually nothing. It's so very hip.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Always wait until the second or third update, read what problems people are having here and elsewhere, wait for suppliers to release updates for their plug-ins, drivers and so forth. Lucky enough to make some money (now and then) with my Mac, it's the best thing to do. Really don't want or need any of my core apps or peripherals to stop working as they should or my iTunes library to go completely out of whack.

A new OS, especially one like Lion (at first glance) isn't going to make much of a change to how quickly I can get stuff out the door. Tiger had Spotlight, Leopard had Time Machine; features just by themselves worth having. Not sure about Lion yet, so I'll hang back a little, wait for the guinea pigs others whose views I respect to let me know the water's fine. ;)

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
If I find bugs that are too annoying, I will either downgrade or wait until the next update. Data loss is not a big risk thanks to Time Machine. So the only bugs that could cause problems would be incompatibility, instability and smaller glitches here and there.

My computer is already unstable so I doubt it would get worse, and I'm used to pressing "Cmd+S" every minute, so it's not an issue. I don't mind small glitches, as long as they aren't around for long (I mean if they get fixed within a few weeks, it's fine). I'll check the list of incompatible Apps, and if nothing serious shows up, I'll upgrade.

So I doubt I'll wait for the first or second update. Generally, a huge amount of bugs still remain in the OS even after the first two or three updates, so ideally I'd have to wait forever, which I won't.

Soliber

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
I may be wrong, but didn't those "massive" bugs usually entail people having installed some system altering software, like theming software, which just didn't work well initially with the new OS X?
This reminds me of all those corporations with the average inertia of maple syrup, always waiting 'til SP1 or maybe even SP2 of a new Windows version, before considering to upgrade. Which tends to lead to scenarios like a majority of the world still using an OS dating from the time when I was still a little kid :p

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

What are your opinions?

That is one helluva cool story bro.

superstrikertwo

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2008
California
I may be wrong, but didn't those "massive" bugs usually entail people having installed some system altering software, like theming software, which just didn't work well initially with the new OS X?
This reminds me of all those corporations with the average inertia of maple syrup, always waiting 'til SP1 or maybe even SP2 of a new Windows version, before considering to upgrade. Which tends to lead to scenarios like a majority of the world still using an OS dating from the time when I was still a little kid :p

Waiting for SP1 is a legitimate excuse. If you're running a company you can't afford to have computer problems. Even if the first release of the OS is incredibly stable SP1 is usually not too far off to make it even more solid.

sheepopo39

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2008
I think I will upgrade to 10.7 automatically too. But as with previous OS X upgrades, I'm gonna keep a backup of 10.6 should the install get botched, or my MacBook can't handles 10.7 well.

Soliber

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
Waiting for SP1 is a legitimate excuse. If you're running a company you can't afford to have computer problems. Even if the first release of the OS is incredibly stable SP1 is usually not too far off to make it even more solid.
True, I just wish that companies were a little bit more aggressive in their upgrading policy. As far as I can tell, a lot of companies don't wait for SP1 to upgrade, they wait for SP1 to start thinking about their upgrade plans.
Makes me recall a story about a local hospital which had a rampant virus problem. Couldn't help but notice that their computers were all still running Windows XP, which probably had at least something to do with the whole debacle...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I waited on Snow Leopard, and while its a nice OS, There was very little that apple added from a consumer perspective. Yeah they did rework the plumbing a lot so that future versions will be better but from the consumer, not so much.

With Lion, I'm not really seeing that many changes, I'm going to hold off. I see no reason to upgrade especially when everything works right now. One major headache that people ran into with SL was that in many cases, Canon printer drivers weren't working. I waited until I saw an updated printer driver. I see even less reason to upgrade to Lion and why mess with success.

worky

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
I'm planning on getting a new MacBook Pro this summer, preferably when the free iPod student deal is on and when Lion is released. If I get it on launch day what are the odds that it will be pre-loaded with Snow Leopard with a Lion upgrade disc included? This would be preferable as most have stated that there are usually bugs in the first couple versions of a new OS. This way I would have Lion to install when the bugs are ironed out, but will get it for free when I buy my new computer.

Not asking for a definite answer as I know there are none, just speculation--but if someone has experience in this that would be great!

Thanks

ufkdo

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Turkey
Most likely, lion will be the most bug-free os of Apple. I haven't used it yet but even on a developer preview there are really a few bugs reported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.