Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falcie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
Hi guys,

I want my LED Cinema 27" connect to my computer. The Screen has a Mini Display output, and I need to connect the Mini Display it to a converter, and out HDMI to my computer.

What I found a solution was a Belkin AV360. According from the internet and reviews I read, the converter doesn't support full 1080p HD quality and high resolution.

Is there any better product out there where I can get? I tried and tried to googling around, but for no info didn't come crossing my eyes at all.

I might be blind, or suck!

I hope someone could please help me out!

Thanks a lot!

nyzwerewolf

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Long Island, NY
This is what it says in the specs:

*The 27-inch Apple iMac and Cinema Display EDID will not accept HDMI resolution of 1920x1080 (1080p) therefore sources must be set at a matching resolution of 1280x720 (720p) for full screen HD playback.

It is a restriction of those displays. no way around it i guess.

Falcie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
Hey!

Thanks a lot for the reply!

I read the FAQ section, and I came across to this

Why do I have to set my sources to 720p? - 5/18/2010
The need to set your source to 720p is a limitation due to the iMac not the XD. Here is why: the EDID (extended display identification data) embedded in the display only accepts two input resolutions: 2560x1440 and 1280x720. The first resolution is not supported by PS3 and Xbox because the highest resolution output they support is 1920x1080, or 1080p. But since the iMac doesn't recognize 1080p input resolution, the sources must be set to 720p for proper video pass through. The XD features up to

So if I understood correctly, it all depends on my graphic card PC how much it can take the resolution?

nyzwerewolf

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Long Island, NY
It is a restriction on the LED Cinema Display. It only accepts 2560x1440 and 1280x720. It does not support full 1920X1080 (1080p) resolution from an HDMI source, but it does if it is coming from a pure miniDisplay port source.

So, if you connect your laptop/desktop to the LED Cinema Display via HDMI to Mini Displayport adapter, the LED Cinema Display will convert that resolution to 1280X720 (720p).

Last edited:

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Your computer is a desktop PC? It might be easier and cheaper to just get a basic gfx card with a MDP output.

Falcie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
Hey guys,

Sorry for long reply. Been busy for some days now. I bought the Kanex XD converter, and tried to plug it on my computer. Nothing shows up on my Cinema LED Screen at all. Whats up with that? Just curious if the Kanex needs to have an input for MagSafe to work too?

SidBala: I'm using a laptop so it's not possible to switch Graphic card at all. Sucks big time!

EDIT: just as you know, I have Apple LED Cinema Display 27" which is the cable is stuck on the back of the monitor. I can't take the cable out back of the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.