PDA

View Full Version : Lion - no roar for me?

mrdm
Mar 26, 2011, 08:37 PM
I'm an OS X nut and usually the first to upgrade to any new version. This time around though, and at the risk of being branded a luddite, nothing in Lion appeals to me. Here's my take on what we know so far:

* Mac App store - already using it with SL.
Launchpad - all my frequently used apps are on the dock; use spotlight for the rest.
* Full screen apps - ok, this one is cool :-).
* Mission control - not that much different from expose.
* Gestures - inconsistent app support and implementation means I never use them.
*Autosave and versions - I "command S" religiously and would never need this.
* Resume - I never reboot my air. Only sleep.
* Mail 5 - this is nice. Will probably be an independent upgrade that works on SL.
* Airdrop and filevault - have no use for these.

What am I missing? Truth is, Snow Leopard is running great and for the first time I'm not wanting for anything in an OS. I probably won't upgrade when Lion is available. Should I? What am I missing if I don't? Would particularly appreciate any input from beta users who have tried Lion.

axu539
Mar 26, 2011, 11:38 PM
While your reasoning makes sense, there are a couple things I need to point out.

1. Lion is currently only in developer preview. All you'll be able to see are a couple of hyped features (auto save and resume, full screen apps, etc), mostly so that developers can try to take advantage of them. Apple could easily have some great, secret features that they're not talking about for now.
2. You're only thinking about consumer features that are on the surface. With each OS X update, Apple does plenty of under-the-hood upgrades. There're already whispers of Lion working MUCH quicker than SL for certain things.
3. Mail probably will NOT be updated on its own. Besides Safari and iTunes, Apple doesn't really offer standalone upgrades to its core apps without forcing you to update the OS.

brijazz
Mar 27, 2011, 06:34 AM
You'll upgrade, and you'll bloody well like it!

Joking aside, a new OS should bring performance improvements along with all of the feature-centric stuff. As for your comment about gesture support being inconsistent: bringing a touch interface to OS X (via the trackpad) seems to be important to Apple, so I'm sure we'll see more uniformity over time.

poobear
Mar 27, 2011, 06:59 AM
Have you even opened the enormous "10.7 All the Little Things!" thread? There is a lot more than the 8 features you mentioned.

vincenz
Mar 27, 2011, 07:07 AM
Have you even opened the enormous "10.7 All the Little Things!" thread? There is a lot more than the 8 features you mentioned.

Yep this exactly. The little details are even better than the big ones.

iThinkergoiMac
Mar 27, 2011, 07:24 AM
*Autosave and versions - I "command S" religiously and would never need this.

In other words... you're flawless and will never make a mistake? This is like saying you never need to back up, in a sense.

* Resume - I never reboot my air. Only sleep.

Your version of Safari must be pretty old, then, and you must still be running the version of the OS that came on it. Never is a pretty big word ;). That being said, Resume has everything to do with quitting apps and relaunching them, not rebooting your computer. So unless you never quit anything, this will probably be helpful.

* Mail 5 - this is nice. Will probably be an independent upgrade that works on SL.

As axu539 pointed out, this is not likely to happen. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say it most definitely will not happen. Apple has never released a version of Mail from the newest OS that works on the previous OS. Why would that behavior change now?

Soliber
Mar 27, 2011, 07:48 AM
I would recommend reading through the entire "all the little things" thread; there's more to Lion than the poster-features :-)