Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ncore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
I decided to pull out the old mac plus which hadn't been used in about twenty years. It turned on fine and I have all of the floppy disks required for it to run. However, when I turned on the computer the screen was very skinny and placed at the center of the screen. I couldn't find much on google except that in one instance, somebody had the same problem, and they solved it by physically washing out the hard drive in water and taking away the rust.

Might this work?

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I think you might get more help if you posted this in the Collectibles forum. [Mod Note: Moved]

Having said that, please don't clean anything out with water. Also, from what little you described I would not think it had anything to do with a hard drive.

Last edited by a moderator:

ncore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
ok i will post on collectibles, please somebody let me know if you have a fix

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Leaking capacitors are a big problem with any Mac of that vintage. Washing the hard drive doesn't make any sense - perhaps they meant the motherboard? It still sounds crazy, but people do it with varying levels of success.

Regardless there's no easy fix for this. If you're attached to this particular Mac there are methods, but simply getting another one is usually a less time consuming option.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Sounds to me like a dry/cracked solder joint on the deflection yoke connector. Sadly when this happens, it can overheat the plastic plug and cause a "hot join" between the cable connector and the connector soldered to the analog board. The yoke connector is the four pin white connector pictured here at the top edge of the board.

On early revisions the pins didn't protrude very far on the solder side and caused a lot of heat dissipation which eventually cracks the solder.

If you know somebody with good soldering skills and have the correct "long reach" torx screw driver (to access two of the four screws under the top handle) then it's worth taking a look.

Try hitting the box at the left side near the top to see if the width of the picture jumps around. If it does, a dry/cracked solder joint is most likely it.

If it doesn't, and it's a thin vertical line (about 1-2mm) then the problem is a little worse. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.