Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RollTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Alabama
I know that the ipad and iphone are really popular, but doesn't it seem that there are so many less rumors about the actual Mac than in years past? I've been using this site since 2005 and it seems that way to me at least. 1-4 rumors a day about anything IOS, while I I feel lucky to get a Mac rumor every couple of days.

I know times have changed and all, but it would seem that the sources would keep the info coming along. Am I the only one:confused:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I haven't followed MR that long to notice any big difference but it is true that there is a lot iOS rumors nowadays. I have a hypothesis why it is so. Due to the popularity of iPhone and iPad, sources try to get info about them because they most likely get a better reward from them (a good rumor will mean a lot readers for the site, thus more $). Before iPhone and iPad, Macs and iPods were the only products that Apple made so the same sources tried to get info about them. Now they just go where the money is. A rumor about next gen iMac is nothing compared to a rumor about iPhone 5.

RollTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Alabama
A rumor about next gen iMac is nothing compared to a rumor about iPhone 5.

Ya I guess you're right, although the market share is rising, many more iphones are in people's hands. Still sucks regardless for the Mac guru.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8G4)

We're in the transition phase toward a new computing paradigm: the tablet. There's going to be more excitement and interest surrounding it.

Laptops and desktops are still useful and necessary, but they're old hat, and do not represent the kind of forward-looking growth market that the tablet/smartphone market does, which is set to explode beyond most people's expectations over the next 1-2 years.

MR is just moving with the winds of change.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The mac line is a mature line not subject to much change. The only time we see any major rumors is when intel releases a new chipset. For instance there were rumors floating around about sandy bridge and what apple might be doing.

So while many people were focused on iDevices, there were plenty of discussions in the MBP forum as to what the new MBP would be.

For instance, there were discussions on
Apple dropping the optical drive
Which GPU apple will be using
Apple going with a higher resolution display
Apple changing the case.
and few other off the wall rumors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.