Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrewbrown518

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
My mom's Macbook was plugged in over night to charge, when she came downstairs the kitchen was filled with smoke and the Macbook was releasing the smoke. The computer was burned, and so was the couch it was sitting on.

Luckily, Apple was able to recover the hard drive and gave her a free external. They are sending the Macbook out for investigation as to why this happened.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    244.1 KB · Views: 73
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 52
  • photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    405.8 KB · Views: 50

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
That looks like it's battery related - as it seems to be focussed around that area. That's also on the side of the battery where there aren't any contacts to the logic board, so it may be related to something on the logic board in that region too.

But judging by the amount of damage on the rear of the Macbook to the keyboard area, I'd lean towards the battery being at fault - maybe a cell has let go or something?

The main thing is you've managed to catch it before it did develop into something a lot more serious and life threatening.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
That reminds me of our local newspaper reporter who was in my office for a story. He had an older MacBook with OS/9 on it I think. All of a sudden, flames started shooting out the side of it! Something happened to the HDD and it caught fire while he was using it. It left a burn mark on my desk too.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Was it running whilst sat on the couch? If it was, then it's possible the vent holes were blocked and that led to it overheating. If not, then it definitely looks like a faulty battery

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.