Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsamcash

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
San Jose, CA
It's good - if a bit creepy. Haha.

However, I feel the composition could be improved in my opinion. Try placing the masque along one of the rule-of-thirds cross sections. And, this might not be your taste, but I prefer a more creamy bokeh. I feel this one is a little harsh and makes me wonder if I forgot to put my contacts in.

But overall very creative and interesting. Good job.

Dan--

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Well, I'm gonna say definitely creepy, but I assume that's where you were going. I'm not all that fond of the bokeh either, and yet I think it kind of adds to the creepy feel. High likelihood that someone's in a shallow grave back there.

Although I do like using the the rule of thirds usually, I feel this one is fine by the edge. Perhaps even a little closer to the edge would be better so that part of the subject (?) is cut off. Maybe.

Dan

Last edited:

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
There's a very neat sense of creepiness to it. Especially because it's in a very unexpected environment. Whenever I see green and trees, I expect to see calm, peaceful stories. But this time, I'm greeted with a very odd entity.

The color and softness is spot on. Any sharper and he would've felt fake instead of dream-like. Any softer and it would've felt poorly done. I can also do without the bright spot in the middle. It really distracts the picture from the model.

I suspect you can execute this even better if you throw in more story into the shot and pick a different backdrop.

jammiefreerider

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2006
Im not creeped out by it at all. To me it looks like a statement about the actor or acting. Its just the heavily blurred background that doesnt make sense. There's a diagonal pavement line next to the guys leg which leads the viewer to assume the long reeds/grass on the far lower left of the picture is actually next to the actor. The fading of sharpness doesnt make sense at that point. The confusion is caused I assume by the compression caused by a long lens so its something to watch out for. I generally think it should be more depth of field.

If you are trying to freak me out then change the subservient pose of the model to something more aggressive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.