Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
This has been posted before, I guess...

I realized that my keyboard has been acting weirdly lately and so I saved my money for an Apple keyboard... I am wondering, are these fully compatable with Windows?

On my current keyboard, there is a volume nob - you turn it and the volume increases/decreases. Apple has the buttons - will they work on XP?

Also, will the eject key work?

AND do I have to remember anything, like, is the Apple key with Windows key or is the Apple key the alt key or... I'm confused lol...

Is this even a good purchase?

Applespider

macrumors G4
Seems nuts to me. Just buy another Windows keyboard - why confuse yourself (and anyone else who tries to use your machine) trying to remember key combinations.

If you sell your XP machine when you finally get your Mac, the purchaser will likely want a Windows keyboard. And depending on which Mac you get, you may not need the Apple keyboard.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Applespider said:
Seems nuts to me. Just buy another Windows keyboard - why confuse yourself (and anyone else who tries to use your machine) trying to remember key combinations.

If you sell your XP machine when you finally get your Mac, the purchaser will likely want a Windows keyboard. And depending on which Mac you get, you may not need the Apple keyboard.

I want the Apple one not because its from Apple but because it feels great to use.

I've used others and they don't feel as good - the only one that was a competitor was the $80 microsoft one... not worth it when Apples are so much cheaper and have USB ports - the one I have now doesnt.

rasp

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
Easthampton, MA
It will work fine, the command key becomes the windows key. There are regestry tweaks if you want to swap alt and windows keys.

The volume keys work normally, but the eject button doesn't seem to do anything.

There is no reason not to since you like the keyboard.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
rasp said:
It will work fine, the command key becomes the windows key. There are regestry tweaks if you want to swap alt and windows keys.

The volume keys work normally, but the eject button doesn't seem to do anything.

There is no reason not to since you like the keyboard.

I purchased it!

It turns out my copy of Windows perfectly switched the keys - the Apple key is the flag key and alt was alt instead of the opposites...

The only thing I miss is Print Screen - is there a way to do this with the mouse or with a different keyboard shortcut? Thanks.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Nevermind - I downloaded a program called SWBCatcher or something - it works better than the print screen feature!

I am so happy I made this purchase!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.