PDA

View Full Version : Problems surfing the internet - may be related to ethernet card (or not!)

thomasp
Feb 26, 2005, 11:58 AM
Hi,

I have a strange problem that I am not really sure what it is caused by. I'll try to explain it as best as possible.

We have 4 computers connected to our wireless and wired network. A G3 iBook and G4 are wired direct into the router. A G3 desktop and a G3 iMac are wired into a 5-port switch, which connects to a wireless ethernet bridge, allowing these two computers to access the internet. For a diagram, see this image I attached to a previous post on a different subject: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=1123178&postcount=3

The OSes on the computers are:
G3 iBook: OS 9.2.1
G4: OS 10.2.8
G3 desktop: OS 9.0.4
G3 iMac: OS 9.2.1

Basically, the problem is, every 30 minutes (exactly - to the second) after starting the computer up, the two wireless computers (G3 desktop and iMac) lose internet connection completely. The only way to restore it is to go into the TCP/IP control panel and switch to a non-ethernet configuration, and then back to the ethernet broadband profile, or put the computers to sleep/shut them down for at least 10 minutes.

I have also "prologned" this drop to an hour after first starting the computer by refreshing the router's homepage (http://home/) every 30 seconds, starting just before 30mins of being connected. This is quite annoying, as it effectively means I can't use that internet browser.

This problem also affects AppleTalk and any TCP/IP network or file sharing.

Sometimes, the connection will completely die at 30mins, even if I'm refreshing the router's homepage. When this happens, the light on the 5-port switch indicating that the computer is connected and has an active ethernet connection goes out - suggesting the ethernet card on the computer has shut down. The only way to get this back on is to put the computer to sleep for 10mins.

Neither the iBook or the G4 are affected. I haven't yet tried the iBook on the wireless network.

What could be causing this? The wireless bridge is about 35 metres away from the router - if it is much further away it loses the wireless signal.

Could it be that I have something set up incorrectly on the iMac and G3 that causes the ethernet cards to shut down after a certain amount of time? Or is it something else?

Thank you for your help :) (and sorry for the long post!