Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobertK81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
Im looking for an iPad 2 case which is functional on the couch/lap. Typing position is easy, dozens of cases out there.

My issue is with an added upright position. I want to have it on my lap while watching movies with my 2 year old daughter..not tipping over. And even for her to use it under supervision ;-)

Im not looking for anything to bulky. Just something that has some protection and functional for the purpose.

Thanks!

dmk005

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010
I use a brookstone branded stand for this purpose all the time. It was a gift so I would not have bought it expecting this use but now I love it. The position I have it in while on my lap is actually laying forward with the iPad angled up. It is stable this way and firm enough if angled a bit flatter for productive typing. Again, I would not have bought this stand on my own so if you are skeptical, I don't blame you.

Btw, It fits iPad and iPad 2 (I have both).

http://www.amazon.com/Brookstone-X-Stand/dp/B004IR6Z00/ref=pd_cp_e_1_img

David

RobertK81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
Wow, thats really not something i would have in mind ;-) It looks like something that shouldnt leave a table!

Wont the weight alone destroy the ipad when it would fall down/tip over?

Thanks for the advice! But I think I want something more case looking.

dmk005

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010
I totally understand your reaction to what I am using. I am surprised by how frequently I use it on my lap or have it laid down with it in landscape position, angled upward while on my lap/bed/couch/floor. The stand is very light, yet large enough to be stable when standing but I rarely use it in the way it was designed.

DizzyV6P

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
I have the Cygnett Windsor portfolio and I'm able to use it in 3 positions.

Here's a review of the Lavish and pictures of my Windsor leather portfolio.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1117330/

Both my 7 year old and 2 year old have not had any problems viewing movies in any of the 3 positions. It's ususally set at the middle postition (as seen in my photos) for movie watching.

I've only been able to find these at Micro Center. I went to my local Micro Center and found quite a large selection of the Cyngnett portfolio style covers.

RobertK81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
I totally understand your reaction to what I am using. I am surprised by how frequently I use it on my lap or have it laid down with it in landscape position, angled upward while on my lap/bed/couch/floor. The stand is very light, yet large enough to be stable when standing but I rarely use it in the way it was designed.

Its so hard for me to picture it, but i want to understand! Maybe you should add some photos. This could be the next big hit! ;-)

RobertK81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
Thats Cygnett case looks nice Dizzy. So other cases that feature this design should work good on the lap?

I Also saw the ARMOUR on the Cygnett website. I maybe like the minimal coverage of the bezel better. But i guess will add less protection?

rm94quake

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2010
Im looking for an iPad 2 case which is functional on the couch/lap. Typing position is easy, dozens of cases out there.

My issue is with an added upright position. I want to have it on my lap while watching movies with my 2 year old daughter..not tipping over. And even for her to use it under supervision ;-)

Im not looking for anything to bulky. Just something that has some protection and functional for the purpose.

Thanks!

Check out Marware's new case for the iPad 2.

http://www.marware.com/ipad-kindle-cases-and-covers/ipad-2-cases/c-e-o-hybrid-ipad-2-case

Amazon is running a great price on them if you pre-order.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004R6JQV2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

RobertK81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
I checked their website, Marware has very nice products!

Only Amazon is a problem for me...live in Europe, and it never has any option for International shipping. So i would need a deal from a shop that provides that, but in most cases that also costs another $30-40!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.