PDA

View Full Version : XBOX, Gamecube, or PS2?

diorio
Sep 13, 2002, 09:39 PM
What is your favorite game system, XBOX, Gamecube, or PS2? What system has the best games?

Durandal7
Sep 13, 2002, 09:50 PM
Tough choice. The Gamecube has a super-fly PPC processor. The PS2 has a crapload of games. Then again the Xbox has Halo and Pimps at Sea.

kungfu
Sep 13, 2002, 09:51 PM
yes, but the xbox is evil... i'll have to go with cube.

kungfu

Farside161
Sep 13, 2002, 10:32 PM
i agree the Xbox is evil

i whould prob. get a PS2 or GameCube but the gamecube brings back bad dreams of the G4 Cube. I say get a PS2 it has all the good games free internet play (with a $20 ethernet adapter) and its getting cheaper.

mac15
Sep 13, 2002, 11:13 PM
go the PS2, there are way more games and there and games usually arrive quicker on ps2 anyways, but if not then a cube is good anyways,

alex_ant
Sep 13, 2002, 11:13 PM
Out of the 3, I'd have to say the best choice is... books. Haha

If you're gonna drop $200 on a game system, why not get a used Genesis with 50 games off eBay or something. You'd probably get more use out of it and have more fun with it than whatever system is popular this week.

peterjhill
Sep 14, 2002, 06:42 AM
I have particular game interests, so I would go with a Gamecube and an XBOX. Because I want:
Zelda
Mario
Project Gotham Racing
HALO and HALO 2
I was always a Nintendo user (had every system except for the new cube), and so am into their signature games. Never had a playstation, so never got locked into their games.

The Playstation does have the largest library of games, like comparing a Mac to a PC for gaming. Not all those games a worth buying though.

Chaszmyr
Sep 14, 2002, 06:57 AM
Either PS2 or Cube depending on your game prefference. (I personally prefer PS2, and have one.. but i am considering getting a gamecube)... Like they said, xbox is just evil

Stike
Sep 14, 2002, 07:31 AM
I have a PS2 since it came out here on Nov.24.2000 and meanwile I have a truckload of games. Canīt have another system: the old PSone games still run and FINAL FANTASY. nuff said...

BTW GTA3 is plain fantastic! Canīt wait for GTA Vice City...

dreamlance
Sep 14, 2002, 01:05 PM
I gotta agree with Stike. I love Halo and look forward to Halo 2 but dropping $200 for an Xbox just for those two games is a little wasteful for me. Plus, PS2 will play PS1 games and that's a big help. No need to buy the games again.

FattyMembrane
Sep 14, 2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by alex_ant
Out of the 3, I'd have to say the best choice is... books. Haha

If you're gonna drop $200 on a game system, why not get a used Genesis with 50 games off eBay or something. You'd probably get more use out of it and have more fun with it than whatever system is popular this week.

he's right on all counts. nothing like a good book to break the tedium of computer use/gaming and cart-based side scrollers simply kick ass. like the others have said, the xbox is evil, and msft slapped us in the face by taking away bungie. not only that, apparently its really failing in the game market and msft's enormous fortune is the only thing keeping it alive (i heard that the designer actually left and refused to work on the xbox2). ps2 has more games (most that come out for xbox come out on ps2), but if you take a look in blockbuster, you'll find walls of crap you've never heard of. ithe graphics of the gamecube are a little better than the ps2 (MOH drops frames on the ps2!), and nintendo always makes lots of fun games that dont require you to read a book on the premise. if you can get your hands on one of those japanese "Q" boxes (i think panasonic makes them, but it would be tough to get one in the us) you can play gamecube games and dvds on the same machine.

Wildcat
Sep 14, 2002, 02:11 PM
I own a Gamecube. But Xbox has some nice stuff out for it. ( although I dont really care for the way the render of the game looks on a Xbox, i prefer the Gamecube, its closer to what the sega dreamcast looked like solid, clear, and vibrant) I dont lke PS2. Even though they have a ton of games. The controler sucks.

ugru
Sep 14, 2002, 03:04 PM
i played both PS2 and XBOX and definitely prefer Xbox.

i know that MS is evil but for this time i have to admit that it works great it has the best hardware around.

For the number of games it is just a matter of time, porting a game from pc to Xbox should be very easy (i think) so expect some real masterpeace.

then for xbox will probably came out Star Wars Galaxies Online and that will be the end of my social life....:D

vniow
Sep 14, 2002, 09:55 PM
...and you will know me from the trail of death.

ugru, I just gotta say, I luv your sig.
the Trail of Dead rule. :cool:

eric_n_dfw
Sep 14, 2002, 11:19 PM
I've had a GC since last christmas - got it simply to play Rouge Squadran II. I STILL play that game, trying to get those gold medals without using the cheats!

I also have had an X-Box on loan from a friend for 3 or 4 months. It's got Halo, NFL Fever 2002 and Project Gotham Racing. It collects dust. Halo is cool, but not as engrosing as I thought it would be - like most FPS's it needs a keyboard and mouse. I thought Gotham Racing would make me want to buy an X-Box, but, honestly, I enjoy it's ancestor, MSR on the Dreamcast, just as much - in fact more in some ways (except the radio dj's!) and GT3 on PS2 is still my fav'. (I may still buy a PS2 just to play that!)

I just wish Sega had stuck it out with the DC, I still love to play it - if only it's controllers were'nt so bulky. Quake 3 Arena on the b-band adapter with the Mouse and KB ROCKED!! (I sold those on ebay for a profit in a fit or rage when I heard that Senmue II for DC wasn't coming to the US!) I'll keep playing the DC too until Soul Calibur II for GC finaly gets released!

The thing I like best about the GC though, are the pair of Wavebird controllers I bought. They work flawlessly and my 1 year-old doesn't have a cord to yank on while I'm playing or if I forget to put them away! Seriously though, the freedom to be able to sit wherever and move around without having to deal with cables is a major plus. (The lack of rumble is a small price to pay - most games don't use that well anyway)

RBMaraman
Sep 15, 2002, 11:11 AM
PS2 all the way...

Game Cube is for little kids who's parents don't want them playing mature or teen rated games...

X-Box is for people who worship the ground Bill Gates walks on...

PS2 is for serious gamers.

King Cobra
Sep 15, 2002, 05:29 PM
Xbox and Nintendo 64

First of all, I'm sick of hearing all this evil crap about the Xbox. Sure it's from Microsoft, but at least they got something right, damnit. M$ is evil, NOT the Xbox.

I'm not trying to get into a flamewar, but I MUST point out something. You know how you guys say that M$ is this and M$ is that, and the same with PCs? Let's clear up a few things here:
(1) The Xbox comes with a DVD Drive. So I can watch movies straight from there until I get a "real" DVD player or such. Besides, the GameCube disks only hold 1.5GB of data and has no DVD drive. Tell me: Which disk will give you more options/room for gameplay? Right, DVDs.
(2) Unlike the GameCube, the Xbox holds an 8GB Hard Drive, so I can make my gameplay experience more enjoyable by transferring songs to the Xbox from my Mac and using those songs in Xbox games, such as Project Gotham or the upcoming WWE RAW 2 (assuming RAW 2 brings back the joy of WWF WrestleMania and NM for N64).

Now, let's look at the specs: Fastest graphics processor (among GC and PS2), fastest memory bandwidth, most memory, up to more than 9 times the maximum polygon performance than 2nd place GameCube, up to 5x DVD Drive, compared to the PS2, most audio channels, fastest fill pixel rate, max supported res: 1920x1080...

Ouch. That really hurts the other gaming systems. http://www.planetxbox.com/about/compare/

I'm not kissing/sucking up to anyone, but this is one of the *rare* :snicker: things M$ actually got right.

Oh, yes. I still enjoy using the 93.68MHz processor of my Nintendo 64 for Goldeneye. :D

Taft
Sep 15, 2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by RBMaraman
PS2 all the way...

Game Cube is for little kids who's parents don't want them playing mature or teen rated games...

X-Box is for people who worship the ground Bill Gates walks on...

PS2 is for serious gamers.

Bah!

Gamecube all the way!!! People who way that Nintendo only makes games for kids are just nuts. They make some of the best games out there with some of the most engrossing story lines and best gameplay available.

Plus the Gamecube is expanding its games selection into the area of more violent games, for those who like that sort of thing. Resident Evil is available, bond for some sweet multiplayer action, as are a few other violent games.

As people with Macs know its quality that counts, not quantity. Nintendo has consistently produced some of the most well thought out and implemented games available on the market. And they haven't disappointed me yet with the Gamecube and its offerings. And their game library is already expansive, give even "hardcore" or "serious" gamers (those are phrases I can't possibly take seriously, by the way) a wide selection.

Once Zelda and Metroid arrive, we'll have all of the games that made previous systems so great. I can't wait! And I'd like to see a new Castlevania and maybe a Mario Kart. Those are two that have really held up well over the years, too.

Taft

AthensBoy
Sep 15, 2002, 05:58 PM
I'd have to go with the Dreamcast being my favorite of the current generation. (Yes I did say current), followed by by the PS2 and the Cube, not necessarily in that order.

I enjoy the versitility of the DC and the games that I have for it (and I have a lot). I bought a PS2 so I could play GTA3 and some other games (which I haven't gotten yet for various reasons) and I knew I could draw on the PSX games. The Cube rocks because it's Nintendo and I've loved Nintendo since the NES (which I still play on a regular basis).

But, I digress.

On a side note, though, you have to buy the remote to play DVDs on the XBox. At least, that's what the magazines that I've read have said and people that I know that have one.

Taft
Sep 15, 2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
Xbox and Nintendo 64

First of all, I'm sick of hearing all this evil crap about the Xbox. Sure it's from Microsoft, but at least they got something right, damnit. M$ is evil, NOT the Xbox.

I'm not trying to get into a flamewar, but I MUST point out something. You know how you guys say that M$ is this and M$ is that, and the same with PCs? Let's clear up a few things here:
(1) The Xbox comes with a DVD Drive. So I can watch movies straight from there until I get a "real" DVD player or such. Besides, the GameCube disks only hold 1.5GB of data and has no DVD drive. Tell me: Which disk will give you more options/room for gameplay? Right, DVDs.
(2) Unlike the GameCube, the Xbox holds an 8GB Hard Drive, so I can make my gameplay experience more enjoyable by transferring songs to the Xbox from my Mac and using those songs in Xbox games, such as Project Gotham or the upcoming WWE RAW 2 (assuming RAW 2 brings back the joy of WWF WrestleMania and NM for N64).

Now, let's look at the specs: Fastest graphics processor (among GC and PS2), fastest memory bandwidth, most memory, up to more than 9 times the maximum polygon performance than 2nd place GameCube, up to 5x DVD Drive, compared to the PS2, most audio channels, fastest fill pixel rate, max supported res: 1920x1080...

Ouch. That really hurts the other gaming systems. http://www.planetxbox.com/about/compare/

I'm not kissing/sucking up to anyone, but this is one of the *rare* :snicker: things M$ actually got right.

Oh, yes. I still enjoy using the 93.68MHz processor of my Nintendo 64 for Goldeneye. :D

I've always agreed that the XBox system has some of the sweetest specs out there. But for me, specs don't mean squat. Whats important are the games available and the experience the console brings you.

And given the games available on the market right now, my money goes to Gamecube. Best games. Best gameplay. Best experience for the money. Period.

Taft

diorio
Sep 15, 2002, 10:32 PM
My personnal favorite is the PS2 because of GTA3 and its overall good selection of games. Then comes XBox because of Halo, and a distant third Gamecube. One reason I don't like the cube is because it doesn't come with a DVD option. I don't know why they didn't come out with one even though PS2 and XBox did. Keep up the good posts!

ugru
Sep 16, 2002, 10:15 AM
thanks edvniow i also like`em very much.;)

mcrain
Sep 16, 2002, 10:20 AM
PS2 without a doubt. The games are DVD's therefore a DVD-r can work. A cube, impossible. XBox, evil, but in its defense, a DVD-r works too.

chrisfx811
Sep 16, 2002, 11:01 AM
even though many people loathe m$, their mac division gave us ms office for osx. the division responsible for xbox, is not typical m$. in general, they require that many of the ported games be optimized in some aspect to take advantage of the superior specs of the xbox. but, back to the topic:
if your trying to decide between the 3, you're obviously not a nintendo fanboy. if you were there would be no question in your mind. my brothers and i each have one of the afforementioned systems as well as all of the previous systems, and i can offer you this opinion:
gamecube has the sweet a$$ wavebird controller, and about 3-5 really good titles that cover a decent range of genres. (super mario, star wars rs, resident evil, and maybe waverace and super smash bros.) also there are a few nintendo titles on their way that should rock, although zelda looks stupid! imo
no dvd playback, and proprietary discs. which were used in large part to prevent software piracy and kp the system small.
ps2 has the largest library of games out there (albeit many of them suck hugely) one of the best controllers in the biz, dvd playback, the largest installed user base which insures most all of the games will be available on their system and many times available first on ps2.
xbox has the most potential, the better online strategy, a handful of killer titles, a decent controller (the s-type) dvd playback. oh and don't give me that crap about needinga remote to play dvd's, cuz if you play dvd's on your ps2 and don't hav a wireless remote then you're a moron! nobody watches movies while tethered to a dual shock controller. and many of the games that are available on multi-platforms are made to look much better on xbox and many times have added features and levels that are exclusive to xbox also.
so if you want the largest selection, get the ps2
if you want the best looking games and don't mind waiting a little longer to play them (you're a mac owner right?) get an xbox
if you're a nintendo fanboy you never would've asked the question...

Nonosse
Sep 16, 2002, 11:17 AM
Well, i'm not a game maniac (anymore), but i still enjoy playing with a PS2, and i guess i'd enjoy the Gamecube too.

I'm grateful to PSX/PS2 for being the first game systems to really thrill me with car games (read: Gran Turismo etc...). I didn't really like the N64, but it was more something of being used to PSX.

About the Gamecube, i think it must be pretty nice, as Nintendo tends to make good/funny games. I like all kinds of games, but i must say that Mario Kart on the SNes was really something, although being soooo simple in the idea. Good games are like good movies: having amazing images and graphisms is not enough to carry you along if there isn't something in the story that gets your attention.

And coming to the XBox... well, not for me, thanks. It might be the most powerful, most beautiful, most whatever game system - i just don't want to support the entry of a company i don't like into the field of games.
Sony is about technology and leisure (music, etc...), Nintendo is about technology and fun (game systems), Microsoft is about monopolies and control.
The feeling i have: if i let Microsoft be my next game system, i don't know what'll happen next. I guess Nintendo and Sony might first disappear because their patents would be used without licences, to the sole benefit of M$. And then i would HAVE to plug my XBox2 onto the Net to be recognized and check my games are not copies. And then my XBox3 would ask me additional money each time i launch a game, but then they would release more games only for XBox4 - and of course, games for XBox3 wouldn't be usable anymore on XBox4, because of a special dingy, so that i'd need to rebuy them all.

I don't want an XBox for the same reason as i don't want a Windows system home: i'm just too afraid of whatever will come from Bill next (read: Palladium & co) :mad:.

Arnaud,
who doesn't want to see the Games world turn into something like the Computers world.

(PS: i know, i like to exagerate a little sometimes... :D )

Nonosse
Sep 16, 2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by chrisfx811
even though many people loathe m$, their mac division gave us ms office for osx.

Er... i don't want to turn that thread into M$ vs Apple, but i think MS Office on Mac is not a purely-nice-and-kind-hearted move...

If Somebody (read, Bill Gates) wants Some people (read, Apple users) to switch from MacOS to Windows, he wants to help them to:
1) learn how to use a software they can use on a PC,
2) have most of their important files on a format they can use on a PC.
"Oh well, i'll switch to Windows, i mean, all i use anyway is MSOffice, and i can transfer easily all my letters/bank accounts/whatever."

Keeping MSOffice out of reach from Apple users would be like digging a trench between the two worlds, forcing all Apple users to stick to Another Software, and to choose a side - not good.

Anyway... but i like your comment about being a fanboy, and going for Nintendo anyway :)

e-coli
Sep 16, 2002, 11:54 AM
Just played PS2 for the first time the other day, and it's absolutely amazing. The best graphics and most realistic games I've ever seen.

I'd go with the PS2.

MacBandit
Sep 16, 2002, 12:23 PM
1. Playstation 2

In recent years Apple has had a very close relationship with Sony. It also provides backwards compatibility with older playstation games and is a kick ass DVD player.

2. Game Cube

The only real problem with the Game Cube is it is from Nintendo and the games are notoriously oriented to the younger audience.

I will not rank the XBox because I will not support a company such as Microsoft in there unjust business practices.

daijones
Sep 16, 2002, 12:30 PM
PS2 is the daddy. Sure, other consoles may now have better on-paper specs, but to what extent are those specs used? No-one's yet got the most out of the PS2's abilities, but even so its games are spectacular. Metal Gear Solid 2 is the most remarkable game I've seen, gameplay wise, and its graphics are pretty faultless. PS2 has an ethernet adaptor for broadband network play, but more importantly has firewire. Never mind being able to put a HD in the box: firwire will let you plug in hard drives, burners, digital cameras, etc etc. This functionality isn't being exploited yet, but you can bet it will. There's no danger of PS2's specs and expansion options being over-whelmed this side of a PS3, and when that does come out it's a good bet PS3 will be backwards compatible, as PS2 was, so you won't have to toss your old games. Did I mention games? Check out the size of the PS2's game library, not forgetting to include PS1. Even better, some great games have been out for a while so are available at a discount (like Oni, or the awesome Gran Turismo 3). The size of the library means most any taste is catered for - what other platform can you get a rugby sim game for? And of course, PS2 lets you play DVDs, but unlike xbox (as I understand it) doesn't force you to buy extra hardware to do so - you can control it with the gamepad, though a remote is available for convenience.

Gamecube is sweet, and I was almost tempted, but the choice of software put me off - I couldn't be bothered to wait for the range to come out when the PS2 offered so much. I don't see lack of DVD as much of a fault - you'll get better quality and functionality from a reasonably priced DVD player anyway, and the gamecube is enough cheaper than the others to make that a viable proposition. At least, until the xbox price gets slashed yet again in an attempt to shift units.

Did I mention xbox price cuts? I hear it's sold short of expectations, but still reasonably well, in the US. In Europe and Japan it's bombed. Badly. When it was launched in the UK six months ago it cost Ģ300. Within a month it was Ģ200, now you can pick them up for Ģ150. Why? Because no bugger wants to buy them. It's hardly a good sign for the future of the console when this happens. (Compare this to the shortages when PS2 came out). Buy an xbox today, then start saving to buy a PS2 in a few months when they stop making the xbox and games for it.

Bottom line is, you're on a safe bet with the PS2 for the future: it's well expandable, there's loads of games, and enough have been sold already to justify games companies making games for it for years to come. Plus it puts you on to an upgrade path for the PS3 in a couple years time, which will be powered by a kick-arse IBM processor, to be built apparently at the new fishkill facility.

eric_n_dfw
Sep 16, 2002, 01:58 PM
Those of you saying Nintendo make kids only games have not played GameCube games. Check out Eternal Darkness and tell me you even want your kids in the room while playing it! Talk about a dark and disturbing game. Resident Evil on GC rocks too.

I wish GC had full size DVD's though just for the expanded room (Resident Evil is on two GC disks) But the GC disk is a DVD, just a 2.5" inch one.

BTW, not all PS2 games are on DVD's - I read that EA Sports F1 (can't remeber if it was the 2001 or 2002 version) acutally is on a CD ROM.

As far as X-Box's specs, yes, they are awesome - especially the real, 5.1 Dolby sound - but, from what I've seen, nobody's pushing it. Take a look at lighing effects that the GC is doing in Star Wars RL or Resident Evil. 2nd to none against anything I've seen on Xbox and much better than most PS2 titles. The worst thing I've seen on GC is a couple of slow-downs in Star Wars, but I attribute that to the fact that they pushed that title out the door and it may have some bugs.

From what I've read, the GC is very easy to develop to. XBox is right behind it because it uses the DirectX API's and PS2 was a bear but development shops have gotten used to it. With that in mind, I excpect that both XBox and GC will see a lot more titles coming out a lot faster, bringing a the "PS2 has more games" arguement down a bit.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong - I certainly was about the DC's life-span! :-(

diorio
Sep 16, 2002, 03:07 PM
It seems like PS2 is the favorite with Gamecube second. Is the Xbox the least favorite because of the Microsoft monopoly or other reasons?

macktheknife
Sep 16, 2002, 04:09 PM
My head tells me to go for a PS2 with its formidable library of games. My heart, however, aches for the Gamecube with Zelda and Metroid Prime (!!!) coming out. As a child who grew up playing Zelda, SMB, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, etc. on the NES and SNES, my heart will always be with Nintendo. Yes, I know that Square and Enix now publish for Sony, but somehow, it just isn't the same. I know most Final Fantasy fans think that the magic was somehow gone after FF III (the last FF for SNES).

Most of the younger generation, unfortunately, don't share such fond memories of Nintendo's Microsoft-like domination of the gaming industry. Although I like competition, there was something to be said about having all the kids sharing a similar gaming culture back then. Almost everybody was trying to figure out where to find the Magic Sword in Zelda, where to find the secret warp zones in SMB, and how to knock out Mike Tyson in Punch-Out!

I don't know about the Xbox; I personally have nothing against it just because it's from Microsoft, but I have heard that its library of games has been disappointing.

chrisfx811
Sep 16, 2002, 04:09 PM
ps2's dvd playback is not flawless, by any means. i had to return 2 for not being able to play some movies. no such problems on xbox. graphics wise, star wars and resident evil look fantastic without a doubt, but to say ps2 games look as good as xbox is pretty crazy. even the creator of mgs 2 said that the upcoming release of metal gear solid 2 substance is the best looking and is " the game mgs 2 was supposed to be" still, if it's selection you want then get the ps2. but if you don't want to weed through loads of crappy games, just as windows users weed through crappy software, then choose gamecube or xbox. which is not to say there aren't bad games on either of the 2, it's just that they're easier to develop for and are more powerful. also i'm not defending m$ by any means , but i believe it was sony who saved squaresoft from bankruptcy, aND IN turn have assured themselves that final fantasy will only be on ps2. or that sony dumped money on rockstar games to keep the gta series in house as well. a major difference is that gamecube and xbox have specs that are about a half- generation ahead of ps2. on the bright side though, maybe sony will have learned from their mistakes, and ps3 will not only be powerful, but easier to develop for.
here's another question for this thread: WHICH NEXT GENERATION CONSOLE WILL BECOME THE CENTRAL ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM IN TOMORROW'S HOUSEHOLD? PS3 OR XBOX 2.
sony would seem better suited to combining all the elements of the digital life than m$. pc's have the capability to do these things but they're too expensive

chrisfx811
Sep 16, 2002, 04:12 PM
i agree with mack... it was awesome sharing a common gaming experience with so many back in the nes days. tecmo bowl ruled the gridiron

eric_n_dfw
Sep 16, 2002, 04:28 PM
I'm not sure if chrisfx811 was replying to me what he (or she) mentioned the PS2 being on par with XBox on graphics. If so, I did not mean to have said that. The PS2 is definately in 3rd place between the three. In fact, I'd say it's only marginally better than the Dreamcast.

However, the DC and PS2 have killer graphics to begin with!

eric_n_dfw
Sep 16, 2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by chrisfx811 here's another question for this thread: WHICH NEXT GENERATION CONSOLE WILL BECOME THE CENTRAL ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM IN TOMORROW'S HOUSEHOLD? PS3 OR XBOX 2.
sony would seem better suited to combining all the elements of the digital life than m$. pc's have the capability to do these things but they're too expensive
I hope none of them do.
The most I would want one to do is, maybe, be a combo game machine/mp3 jukebox and Tivo all in one. And I'm not too sure about that either. Devices that do multiple things like that tend to be a "Jack of all trades, master of none" unless you spend big bucks.

chrisfx811
Sep 16, 2002, 04:40 PM
good point eric. actually if my imac could play console games, and was easy to use as a dvr then i might not care. it's got all the other aspects such a device would need. great user interface, stable, fairly powerful (for the everyday person) and sweet programs to get you started doing fun things.
i guess graphics are like computer processors, even though what's available is great and satisfies most people, there will always be a demand for something more. i for one would like to see some innovations in the gaming experience, and not just eyecandy. gta3, halo, metal gear solid, ssx, zelda for n64 all come to mind.

Durandal7
Sep 16, 2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by diorio
It seems like PS2 is the favorite with Gamecube second. Is the Xbox the least favorite because of the Microsoft monopoly or other reasons?

You do realize that you're on a site of Microsoft haters, right? ;)

macktheknife
Sep 16, 2002, 07:32 PM
I don't know why Apple and Nintendo can't form some sort of alliance whereby Macs can play Nintendo games. Let's set aside the technological feasibility for moment. Console game makers make their money on the games; the consoles themselves lose money. I think if Apple can make Nintendo games work well on a Mac, it opens up a whole new realm of possibility. You could play Super Mario Cart or some racing game online going head-to-head with players around the world! You get the idea. It would encourage more game sales while Nintendo could produce fewer consoles and shift the hardware burden to the Mac.

Don't flame me if you think my ideas are wacky; just my thought. ;)

Durandal7
Sep 16, 2002, 08:03 PM
I think that the Atari 2600 is the hand-down winner. Especially when it comes to what games are available. The Atari can run such titles as Jungle Hunt, River Raid and Robot Tank. The advanced 16-color graphics blow away the competition. Not to mention the choice of joystick OR paddle. The Atari 2600 rocks!

diorio
Sep 16, 2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Durandal7

You do realize that you're on a site of Microsoft haters, right? ;)

Thats why you all buy macs right?:rolleyes:

Durandal7
Sep 16, 2002, 10:26 PM

Thats why you all buy macs right?:rolleyes:

No we buy macs because they rock. We just hate M$ because Bill Gates is full of s***

diorio
Sep 16, 2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Durandal7

No we buy macs because they rock. We just hate M$ because Bill Gates is full of s***

About Bill Gates, can you believe he lost like 15 billion dollars last year and still has 45 billion? Thats one rich mofo.:eek:

Durandal7
Sep 16, 2002, 10:36 PM

About Bill Gates, can you believe he lost like 15 billion dollars last year and still has 45 billion? Thats one rich mofo.:eek:

Thou shalt not speaketh thy name of thoust satanic lord. Thy Bill Gates shalt beest smiteth by thy fiery hand. Thoust mofoest of thy richness thou worldly thoust satanic. Thy Atari 2600 arriveth.

diorio
Sep 16, 2002, 10:38 PM
So is the Atari 2600 a new version of the Atari?

Durandal7
Sep 16, 2002, 10:41 PM
So is the Atari 2600 a new version of the Atari?

No, the Atari 2600 was released in 1983 I believe.

diorio
Sep 16, 2002, 10:46 PM
Thats what I thought, but you made it seem like the Atari 2600 came out yesterday.

Durandal7
Sep 16, 2002, 10:49 PM
That's just my way.

diorio
Sep 16, 2002, 10:53 PM
I never really played the Atari, but where is it among you favorite systems of all time?

Durandal7
Sep 16, 2002, 10:58 PM
Hmmm...

1. Atari 2600
2. Super Nintendo
3. Playstion

I haven't owned any of the newer consoles so I'll refraim from comment.

diorio
Sep 16, 2002, 11:01 PM
Actually the only system I've ever owned is the SNES. I don't even know why I started a thread about systems I don't even own.

Durandal7
Sep 16, 2002, 11:03 PM
Actually the only system I've ever owned is the SNES. I don't even know why I started a thread about systems I don't even own.
That is a good question. Maybe you just wanted attention.

Anyway, I'll tell you about the dumbass on the bike tomorrow.

TheCat
Sep 17, 2002, 04:17 AM
without any doubt, the GameCube. It's a wonderful bit a gaming power.. just playing the new Resident Evil - new puzzles, new rooms, argghh it's superb!!
Plus the controller is excellent, the analogue is much better to use than the PS2's which always seems to sensitive to me.

What is your favorite game system, XBOX, Gamecube, or PS2? What system has the best games?

diorio
Sep 17, 2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by TheCat
without any doubt, the GameCube. It's a wonderful bit a gaming power.. just playing the new Resident Evil - new puzzles, new rooms, argghh it's superb!!
Plus the controller is excellent, the analogue is much better to use than the PS2's which always seems to sensitive to me.

Is resident evil a game where you basically just run around and kill wierd monsters while trying to accomplish something? I've never played it, but many people have mentioned Resident Evil as being a really cool game.

AthensBoy
Sep 17, 2002, 11:35 AM
Atari rocks. :D

The 2600 is great, but the 7800 offered backwards compatiblity! :eek:

macktheknife
Sep 17, 2002, 12:26 PM

Is resident evil a game where you basically just run around and kill wierd monsters while trying to accomplish something? I've never played it, but many people have mentioned Resident Evil as being a really cool game.

Yup. RE spawned the whole "Survival Horror" genre: scary settings and grotesque monsters. It was a real scary game to play when you were all alone. I remember watching my brother play RE, and he would refuse to play unless I was watching with him. :rolleyes: I don't blame him though, I would have done the same thing myself. Similar games include "Parasite Eve", "Dino Crisis", and "Silent Hill."

diorio
Sep 17, 2002, 12:54 PM
I'll have to try those games out, they sound pretty freaky.

Durandal7
Sep 17, 2002, 01:04 PM
Where are you diorio?

diorio
Sep 17, 2002, 01:07 PM
In my coach's room. Sorry, I probably could have watched Dune.

SkidMarkJones
Sep 26, 2002, 12:42 PM
First of all it doesn't matter one eensy weensy bit how great the processor is or how many GD polygons the machine can spit at you....it is all about the games...Go gamecube...I have owned a PS2 and got tired of the games that it had...sure GTAIII was cool for a while but honestly, i grew weary of it rather quickly....take Super Monkey Ball 2 or Mario Sunshine and you wont leave your home for weeks...

Peace

diorio
Sep 26, 2002, 03:27 PM
I thought this thread was dead, but I guess not. GTA 3 does get old after a while, but is still an awesome game because there is just so much you can do.

void
Oct 8, 2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Stike
I have a PS2 since it came out here on Nov.24.2000 actually it came out on October 26th. I just remebered that because it's my mom's birthday.

Stike
Oct 8, 2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by vjv
actually it came out on October 26th. I just remebered that because it's my mom's birthday.

May be, but in Europe the PS2 was launched on Nov.24, 2000!

diorio
Oct 8, 2002, 09:13 PM
Do you know anything about the PS3?

Turd Ferguson
Oct 15, 2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by macktheknife

Yup. RE spawned the whole "Survival Horror" genre: scary settings and grotesque monsters. It was a real scary game to play when you were all alone. I remember watching my brother play RE, and he would refuse to play unless I was watching with him. :rolleyes: I don't blame him though, I would have done the same thing myself. Similar games include "Parasite Eve", "Dino Crisis", and "Silent Hill."
To be a nitpicky bastard for a quick sec., RE only made the genre popular. Alone in the Dark was the first in the survival horror genre;) It was on computer, and also Sega's Saturn.

*---on topic...all 3 systems are worth getting at this point....in terms of priority, I'd rank them this way:
1. Ps2 --has a ton of great games, as well as the best game of all time-->GTA3.

2. Gamecube--I have owned this since day one, and it's great.

3. Xbox---Doom 3....soon.:cool:

diorio
Oct 16, 2002, 03:18 PM
Yes, XBOX is probably the worse right now, but still definately worth getting. I'm probably not going to buy a system but save and get a new Laptop.

mad jnr
Dec 10, 2006, 03:50 AM
1.PS2 is extreamly cheap now and has tonnes of big games.
2.Gamecube has a lot of games for very small children(haven't seen any other types)
3.Xbox is new with awesome graphics, a large amount of big games, not as cheap as PS2, and has better advitisement

Looking at my own summary I think that Xbox is the winner here.

Dagless
Dec 10, 2006, 06:10 AM
What... on... earth...

I find it ironic "Mad Jnr" yet you complain about the Cube having kiddy games :D :D :D I just woke up, first laugh of the day.

kjr39
Dec 10, 2006, 06:45 AM
Is blowing the dust off of the Sega vs. Nintendo thread next?

Dagless
Dec 10, 2006, 06:53 AM
Quickly, to the archive mobile.

pgc6000
Dec 10, 2006, 07:43 AM
Haha, how'd you even even find this thread?

mad jnr
Dec 10, 2006, 08:30 PM
What... on... earth...

I find it ironic "Mad Jnr" yet you complain about the Cube having kiddy games :D :D :D I just woke up, first laugh of the day.

Mad jnr means im younger than Mad Jew. Not that I am three years old. I'm a teenager. There's a difference. Now back to topic, Nintendo has lost it. It will probably go broke and not release anymore games or consoles. Gamecube, I think is not the greatest game.

mad jnr
Dec 10, 2006, 08:42 PM
Sorry I'm double posting but I take that last one back. I just found out that Gamecube had Resident Evil 4. That is an awesome game!

GFLPraxis
Dec 10, 2006, 08:43 PM

PS2 has the larger number of games, GC has the smallest but makes up in quality, and none of the XBox titles appeal to me.

I ended up with more GameCube games than PS2 games though. I'm gonna have to say GameCube...Smash Bros and Metroid Prime and Wind Waker cannot be beaten.

GFLPraxis
Dec 10, 2006, 08:44 PM
Sorry I'm double posting but I take that last one back. I just found out that Gamecube had Resident Evil 4. That is an awesome game!

Resident Evil 4 was GameCube exclusive for almost a year, and the PS2 port isn't as good. It's a GameCube-first game.

Dagless
Dec 10, 2006, 08:45 PM
Mad jnr means im younger than Mad Jew. Not that I am three years old. I'm a teenager. There's a difference. Now back to topic, Nintendo has lost it. It will probably go broke and not release anymore games or consoles. Gamecube, I think is not the greatest game.

Right.

So how do you explain Nintendo currently having more systems in homes than anyone else, and they actually made a profit on them too. Seriously, PS2 may have sold more household consoles but Nintendo also made the GBA, the DS and the Cube. Oh and please take a look at the world domination the DS Lite has, and the initial raging success of the Wii.
So remind me, how are Nintendo failing? They have an awful lot of systems in more homes than their competitors :)

You are no teenager. I do hope your mummy, daddy or guardian clicked the agree to the terms & conditions of the forum.

ps.Go broke... Sony and Microsoft aren't friends with "profit". MS lost $4 billion with the first Xbox and still aren't making a profit from the 360. All Nintendo's system make them nothing but clean, happy profit.

Now please. I would love for you to quote this and make a response.

GFLPraxis
Dec 10, 2006, 08:49 PM
1.PS2 is extreamly cheap now and has tonnes of big games.
2.Gamecube has a lot of games for very small children(haven't seen any other types)
3.Xbox is new with awesome graphics, a large amount of big games, not as cheap as PS2, and has better advitisement

Looking at my own summary I think that Xbox is the winner here.

You simply haven't looked at the GameCube.

How can you give PS2 more points for being "extremely cheap" when the GameCube has been $99 for a year and the PS2 JUST dropped to $129?

Nintendo has done a good job of making solid games while not putting in blood and gore and cussing so that kids can play as well as adults. See The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, for example. Incredible game, and one I can let a child watch me play without adults going nuts.

Have you seen Metroid Prime? Definitely the best game of its year.

eēStudios
Dec 10, 2006, 08:50 PM
Right.

So how do you explain Nintendo currently having more systems in homes than anyone else, and they actually made a profit on them too. Seriously, PS2 may have sold more household consoles but Nintendo also made the GBA, the DS and the Cube. Oh and please take a look at the world domination the DS Lite has, and the initial raging success of the Wii.
So remind me, how are Nintendo failing? They have an awful lot of systems in more homes than their competitors :)

You are no teenager. I do hope your mummy, daddy or guardian clicked the agree to the terms & conditions of the forum.

ps.Go broke... Sony and Microsoft aren't friends with "profit". MS lost $4 billion with the first Xbox and still aren't making a profit from the 360. All Nintendo's system make them nothing but clean, happy profit.

Now please. I would love for you to quote this and make a response.

Initial raging success? I would say continual raging success. You still cannot walk in to a store and buy a Wii, they are sold as fast as they come in. I would say that Sony is in for a wake up call, the PS3 is the same ol PS2 thumb numbing adventure with sharper images. The Wii on the other hand is a interactive machine that really pulls you in to every game that you play on it.

Ed

Dagless
Dec 11, 2006, 04:34 AM
oh yea I say initial because who knows if this will continue? It looks to be doing extremely well, has even non-gamers interested (which, if the DS is anything to go by...). But anything could happen.

I eagerly await Junior to crop back up here and respond. It'd be the highlight of my internet day.

mad jnr
Dec 11, 2006, 04:40 AM
Resident Evil 4 was GameCube exclusive for almost a year, and the PS2 port isn't as good. It's a GameCube-first game.

Resident Evil 4 was rated as the best gamecube game by some reviewers called Xplay. Doesn't this mean all their other games could be bad like Aquaman?

Dagless
Dec 11, 2006, 05:00 AM
Resident Evil 4 was rated as the best gamecube game by some reviewers called Xplay. Doesn't this mean all their other games could be bad like Aquaman?

Cute! He blatantly evaded the posts contending his initial uneducated belief.

Want more? Twilight Princess (Wii) is the highest scoring game of this generation.

Did the PS2 or Xbox not have rubbish games? Did them systems not get "Barbie Horse Simulator" and the likes?

Gamecube only sold a fraction less than the Xbox DESPITE the Xbox having massive online play, a much more powerful machine and aggressive advertising.

Come on now!

GFLPraxis
Dec 11, 2006, 11:30 AM

That's the dumbest reasoning I've ever heard.

XPlay rocks. Did you watch their "top ten best GameCube games" segment? They go through the top ten GameCube games. They have it on their iTunes podcast, go watch it right now.

ericsthename
Dec 12, 2006, 12:15 AM
I dunno why the GC always got a bad rap... I think it was a great piece of hardware.

3rd party support may not have been outstanding, but Nintendo's games alone were worth the price of admission. Super smash is awesome, the PURE mario games (sunshine and kart, maybe tennis) are outstanding.

To be honest, aside from GTA and Halo I never found myself in need of more... I mean you could say the same argument in reverse about the PS2 or the XBOX in that neither the PS2 has Halo nor the XBOX had Gran Turismo... I
played plenty of sweet 3rd party games on the cube - SSX tricky, Splinter Cell, Timesplitters 2...

Lets put it this way, the wireless adapter for my 360 cost MORE than a new gamecube did/does....

anyone who watches trailer park boys knows what I mean when I say "Thats Radikulus dude!"

pgc6000
Dec 12, 2006, 12:19 PM
Now now jimmi, he's just a kid, haha :rolleyes:

Anyway, I had fun with the GameCube. It's games never really appealed me so I looked elsewhere, but it's a quality machine no doubt. Just not my cup of tea, but to each his own. :cool:

I myself am an Xbox fan, mainly because I'm into shooters. Quality shooters. Of course the PC doesn't lack those, but still...

pcypert
Dec 13, 2006, 06:25 AM
GameCube for me is a perfect little after market console. Kind of like the Dreamcast. When you can pick one up with a grip of games for 50-100 bucks it's perfect. Lots of quality gameplay and people will move on and forget it and dump it for less than they should. Then you can pounce and play for months for pennies.

Paul

iceflame1019
Jan 23, 2007, 09:29 PM
gamecube all the way, man. I like it cuz the controller's easy, the games are great (most of them), and nintendo's just that awesome. I don't care what anyone says, I'm going with GC cuz nintendo's the best.

kasei
Jan 23, 2007, 10:31 PM
I just got a 360 and it died after 4 days. I also bought a wireless adapter and that didn't work also. If Gears of War weren't on the 360 I would not have bought one. My old Xbox is 3 years old and I never had a problem with it.

If I were you, I would wait for an update on all of the current console models out right now. Or just go get a PS2.

JackAxe
Jan 23, 2007, 11:56 PM
I like the Cube the best. I only bought one after trying Metroid Prime on it. I love Halo and have many great memories of playing that game multiplayer, but for single player, Metroid Prime is the creme of the crop IMO.

Zelda Wind Waker is also a masterpiece, absolute gold. I've only played the demo of RE4 and really enjoyed it, I seriously need to play the full game.

For the PS2, I've played tons of games, but only GT4 really wowed me and it still does. Without Halo, the Xbox doesn't appeal to me, because its primary game selection of games have been dumbed down PC ports. (Yes I know there are other good games.) This bothered me about the PS2 when it was first released also. But the XBox certainly makes a great everything machine with a little bit of modding.

If the Wii didn't play my GC games, I would not have given my Cube away to a freind. Just wish I could've bought the Wii in all black also. blah.

<]=)

mad jnr
Apr 5, 2007, 02:21 AM
Peferably none cause things like that, that are overhyped usually are forgotton about in two years.

zap2
Apr 5, 2007, 11:26 AM
Peferably none cause things like that, that are overhyped usually are forgotton about in two years.

1) Why bring such an old post?

2) Since the PS2 is still selling well...pretty clear it wasn't forgottne about in 2 years. The Xbox and Gamecube sold well past 2 years also.