Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joshuarocks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
Somewhere in Cyberspace
Hello everyone!

Only four more days till I get my G5 Quad.. quick question.. I read somewhere that the reception and quality of the airport/bluetooth run off card for the G5's was not so good.. is this correct? I wanted to get some feedback from those who have the built in airport/bluetooth run off card in their G5 Quads, and dual cores(only for those PCIe models) and the feedback about how good or bad the reception is..

I found one all put together for like 50.00 dollars, and I wanted to know before I purchase it how good is the reception on it? As of right now, I do have a bluetooth 2.1 usb adapter, and a 802.11 a/b/g/g+/n USB adapter, but prefer to use the internal one even though everything I own is using wireless G.

Thanks

I don't know about you, but I am dedicated to keeping the PPC alive for future generations.. its not obsolete in my eye. :)

300D

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2009
Tulsa
Reception is fine. You need to worry about the water cooling system on your CPUs.

Joshuarocks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
Somewhere in Cyberspace
No. The newer pumps were used May-August.

Ok, looking at my Quad.. it seems I do have the newer pump :) It is a panasonic.. can barely make out the name, but the name starts with a P.. Sorry, I made a mistake.. the Quad I have according to the person who owned it told me he got it in June of 2006.

Last edited:

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
The late '05s have much better airport reception than the older the older G5s without the built in antennas.

$50 seems like a good deal. The combo card itself is dirt cheap, it's just that riser card that is hard to find which is why they are more expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.