Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dan--

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
I am trying to fade a large group of pictures toward white in Aperture 3, but am having some difficulty with some deep colors. Here is a crop from one of the problem originals. What I'm looking for, I can get in PS Elements by blending with a white layer (80%), but although A3 is working mostly fine on some of the pictures, not all.

In A3, I'm doing a levels adjustment (see below). Is there some other way to "blend with white" in A3?

• Original (as is)
  • A3, Levels adjustment using Luminance Channel: Dragged center slider to G:0.02. As you can see, it looks pretty good on most of the picture, but some of the red goes to magenta and doesn't fade.
  • PSE, blended with a white layer (80%). This is close to the way I'd like the photo to look. Oh, I can get a similar effect in Levels in PSE by pushing up the Black Output level. (Is there a similar feature in A3, I didn't see it.)

Is there a way to accomplish this is A3? I want to apply this adjustment to a large number of photos for feeding a mosaic producer, and don't want to have to do them individually in PSE.

Thanks,

Dan

This has been posted on the MacRumors Forum - if you would like to comment and are not seeing this on MacRumors, please see this link to the thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1126491/

Original / A3 Levels adjusted / PSE Blended with white

Attachments

• scan0000_edit - orig.jpg
    scan0000_edit - orig.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 172
  • scan0000_edit - ap3_levels_adj.jpg
    scan0000_edit - ap3_levels_adj.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 146
  • scan0000_edit - pse_white_blend.jpg
    scan0000_edit - pse_white_blend.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Dan--

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Just to follow up...

I was able to get close to what I was looking for by reducing the contrast considerably (like -0.5), and then applying a levels adjustment. (Curves worked well, too, at that point.)

I still wound up with some color shifting towards magenta as seen in the middle photo above, but on far far fewer pixels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.