PDA

View Full Version : Need Critique on my Web Design

designresults
Mar 28, 2011, 05:24 AM
I'm working on the following mockup for a new client. He owns a electronics components company. I'd appreciate any and all feedback, whether it's good or bad. Thanks in advance!

http://fsicomponents.com/dev/

miles01110
Mar 28, 2011, 05:46 AM
In my opinion that's a pretty awful-looking font.

designresults
Mar 28, 2011, 05:56 AM
Agreed, I was trying to incorporate the same font from his logo "FSI", but I'll probably go back and just use a standard arial for the nav, etc. How about the layout? Thanks for your input.

Hermes Monster
Mar 28, 2011, 06:11 AM
it's very..grey

I think you need to look at the size - on my monitor it looks very much plonked in the middle of nowhere.

Use white on the red left hand nav - the pink is hard to read.

more white space would be nice - lose all the images of circuit boards and such

that's my opinion anyway

designresults
Mar 28, 2011, 06:43 AM
These are great critiques, thanks everyone!

They're a great help to me.

Any others?

Also, the white content area will expand vertically depending on the amount of content, but because this is a flat mockup that's not being shown.

designguy79
Mar 28, 2011, 11:41 AM
I think that it is too "busy." Maybe if you cut down on the number of redundant items.. for example, you have two (three?) menus, two search forms, two phone number (okay, maybe that is okay).

Also, the page name "Line Card Suppliers" doesn't seem connected to the rest of the page being on the right, IMHO.

HTH,

~ Jeremy

snebes
Mar 28, 2011, 12:18 PM
I think that it is too "busy." Maybe if you cut down on the number of redundant items.. for example, you have two (three?) menus, two search forms, two phone number (okay, maybe that is okay).

Also, the page name "Line Card Suppliers" doesn't seem connected to the rest of the page being on the right, IMHO.

HTH,

~ Jeremy

I 100% agree with this guy. KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid. There is too much action going on near the menu to even see it. So many forms yet no directions for them.

I realize its just a mockup, and is missing any real content, but I would hit the back button right away if I saw this site. It gives me the feeling of a game clan website, not a business website.

designresults
Apr 1, 2011, 09:16 AM
Here's a revised mockup:

http://fsicomponents.com/dev/

Any comments?

Hermes Monster
Apr 2, 2011, 10:10 AM
Better.

If I'm honest I still don't like all the circuitry imagery, its redundant. Chances are, if I'm on that site I'm there because I know company and what they do or I've searched for something they sell. I'd feel much happier purchasing from them if they had a more "professional" feel. Please don't take it the wrong way, but it's my opinion.

Also how are you going to be coding this? Currently I imagine theres going to be lots of images involved which will slow the site down - get back to basics with it and use sow nice CSS styling.