PDA

View Full Version : Question about exchange policy

Toby Ziegler
Mar 28, 2011, 05:39 PM
Hi all. Long time lurker and a first time poster. I've been trying to find an answer to this and both Apple and Best Buy keep giving me the run around, so I'm hoping someone here might have an idea on how to proceed.

So here's my story: I managed to find an iPad 2 at a Best Buy on March 18 and only noticed a couple of days ago that it has a light bleed issue. It's not as bad as some I've seen posted here, but it's kind of annoying that I bought this device and it has what can only be considered a manufacturing defect.

I called my local Best Buy about it and they haven't received any iPads since I got mine so there's no chance to swap it out. They kindly reminded me that I had 14 days to return or exchange it if I wasn't satisfied with it, nevermind the fact that they have none to exchange it with and no idea when they'll have more. They advised me to take my case up with Apple.

Apple insists that because it was purchased at Best Buy that it's Best Buy's problem to deal with even though it supposedly come with a 1-year warranty that covers manufacturing defects by Apple.

So has anyone else here had a similar issue of purchasing an Apple product from an authorized reseller and getting service from Apple?

frenzo142
Mar 28, 2011, 05:49 PM
...t it's kind of annoying that I bought this device and it has what can only be considered a manufacturing defect. [...]

Apple insists that because it was purchased at Best Buy that it's Best Buy's problem to deal with even though it supposedly come with a 1-year warranty that covers manufacturing defects by Apple.

As you say, it does sound like Apple should take it back because it is a manuf. defect. However, I think this issue is extremely widespread, and one that has been addressed by Apple and many folks in the forum. I believe it has to do with the glue and curing etc. Maybe you'd like to keep it a few days and monitor it to see if it goes away?

I also bought my iPad from Best Buy, and even though I've not had an issue with light bleeding, I'm curious how this transpires for you. My 14-day period will be up on April 7, so I'm on pins and needles that I won't have any issues.

PS: Kudos to you for The West Wing-inspired handle.

Toby Ziegler
Mar 28, 2011, 05:56 PM
Well I've had it since the 18th and while the issue isn't getting any worse, it's certainly not getting better. It's really obvious if the brightness is up and there's a darkish background on a website or a picture. I have to look for it under "normal" lighting conditions though. Either way, come Friday I'll have a decision to make. Hopefully Apple will come through and honor their warranty. I'd much rather ship it back to them and have at least an estimate as to when I would have a new one rather than Best Buy's "whenever it happens" stance.

And nice to see there's another West Wing fan out here! Toby was always my favorite.

frenzo142
Mar 28, 2011, 06:04 PM
Oh my bad. I over-looked the mention of the 18th. So yes, time isn't on your side. If you have more than one Apple store in your area, you might try another one or two to see if they'll be more open to honoring the warranty. I'm pretty sure that in the end, they'll want you to be happy iPad owner. Keep us updated on how it goes.

And yes, Toby was my absolute favorite, too.

jbg232
Mar 28, 2011, 06:06 PM
I purchased my ipad2 on opening day from best buy and was able to exchange it at apple store without any issues. I went to apple first because it was a manufacturing defect and I figured they would have exchange units in stock (they had to order it in the end).

Toby Ziegler
Mar 28, 2011, 06:10 PM
There's only two that are close are almost two hours away in Raleigh and Durham NC. I guess if all else fails I'll see if I can find a sympathetic Genius at one of those stores.