PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Apple Pro Keyboard

acedickson
Feb 27, 2005, 02:58 AM
I have an Apple Pro Keyboard, Model #M7803, that is clear and I can see all the crumbs inside. I want to clean inside and am looking for a walkthrough, didn't find one on google, to open up the plastic casing and clean as much as I can.

broken_keyboard
Feb 27, 2005, 05:40 AM
The keys are designed to be popped out and popped back in safely. There's no real trick to it, just stick your finger under one of the side ones and apply upward force.

N10248
Feb 27, 2005, 06:03 AM
i took mine apart a while ago.... damn cookies...

youll need a hexagonal key to undo the 5 screws underneath (theres one under the plastic sticker just to the left of the words "Pro keyboard")

be carefull when removing the front of the caseing off as the clips are easy to snap, from here the inner metal base with the keys on will lift out and you can clean it

thomasp
Feb 27, 2005, 07:03 AM
Try this website: http://www.technology.niagarac.on.ca/people/bgracey/prokeyboardrepair.html

It's mainly about how to remove fizzy drinks from your Pro keyboard, but it still says how to safely dismantle it

Maxiseller
Feb 27, 2005, 07:56 AM
Just pop the keys out, align them on a desk so you know the order they go on save you looking at a photo of it (!) and then give it a good dust! Thats what I do. It'l take you like an hour, but it's Oh so Fresh to type on afterward!

Jsmit
Feb 27, 2005, 10:21 AM
Try this website: http://www.technology.niagarac.on.ca/people/bgracey/prokeyboardrepair.html

It's mainly about how to remove fizzy drinks from your Pro keyboard, but it still says how to safely dismantle it

If you use this link as a guide (it is the one I used, and recomend it), only take the keybaord apart to the membraneif you have too. I didso I could give the top plastic peice on top of the membrane a bath. It is a lot of extra work, and not worth it if you ask me. Just wipe it down and move on. If you do decide to go down to the membrane there are lots of small parts, and those screws strip very easily.

I also recomend a isolpropyl alcohol bath to clean the keys. And don't worry about forgeting the orderofthe keys, that guide has the proper order.

dotdotdot
Feb 27, 2005, 10:22 AM
Whats the difference between the 'Pro keyboard' and the 'Apple Keyboard' I purchased yesterday?

Pro sounds better.

YS2003
Feb 27, 2005, 10:32 AM
I wash my hands before I use my Mac. When not in use, I cover it with one of those computer cleaning cotton cloth. For my apple bluetooth keyboard, I cover it with iSki (but I take it off when I type becase the accuracy of the typing gets affected). I keep iSkis on both of PB's keyboards.

thomasp
Feb 27, 2005, 01:39 PM
Whats the difference between the 'Pro keyboard' and the 'Apple Keyboard' I purchased yesterday?

Pro sounds better.

As far as I know, absolutely nothing. The pro keyboard is made by Apple

I think they keyboards became 'pro keyboards' some time after the very first G3 iMacs. Back then, the keyboards were much shorter and didn't have some of the keys. I think Apple upgraded the keyboard and introduced the pro mouse, and called everything the "Pro keyboard/mouse".

I'm not 100% sure though.

dotdotdot
Feb 27, 2005, 01:41 PM
Mine is under a day old and the box just says Keyboard...

... maybe the 'Pro' ones were the ones with two usb ports sticking out both sides, and the one i'm using has two usb ports (1.1, maybe 2.0) next to the power cord.

Jo-Kun
Feb 27, 2005, 03:22 PM
Mine is under a day old and the box just says Keyboard...

... maybe the 'Pro' ones were the ones with two usb ports sticking out both sides, and the one i'm using has two usb ports (1.1, maybe 2.0) next to the power cord.

jep the pro keyboards are the ones with the usb on each side first black later white and then came these keyboards now...

all keyboards are USB 1.1

I liked the Pro keyboards more than this one I got with the G5, you could choose tot tilt the old ones or not. these don't do that anymore...

I really liked the keyboard on my Ti Pb typed more nicely, this one has more the feeling of an old typewriter or so... maybe I'll look for a new keyboard more like that one... I know the BT desktop made by logitech has those keys but I don't think it works with macos because unlike the other logitech keyboards this one has no apple logos next to the windows logos...

oingoboingo
Feb 27, 2005, 03:39 PM
The keys on my G5's keyboard got a bit dirty after around 18 months of use, so I just popped them all off with a screwdriver, and gave them an overnight soaking in a plastic tub full of water and dishwashing detergent. Worked a treat! Sparkling bright white keys....