Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AAPL_to_$100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
I was all set on getting a PB 15" since I mostly use my Toshiba notebook at home and gave away my desktop PC. But ever since I started using my notebook as my sole computer at home I've noticed that my neck is sore all the time.

I realized it's because when you use a notebook you're always looking down at the screen and cannot have the screen at eye level...otherwise the keyboard is too high. It's that problem inherent in a notebook because you have screen and keyboard in a fixed proximity to each other. The ideal keyboard position is to allow your arms to hand down by your sides and elbows bent at a 90 degree angle. This postion puts the screen much too low so your head is always titled down.

The solution I guess is to get an iMac. I don't really need the portability of the PB but I kind of like being able to move it around and use it while watching TV by putting in on a little TV tray I eat off of sometimes.

As we get older these aches and pains just don't go away and I think I'd be better off getting the iMac.

Kirk

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Norway
Or you can get the PB and buy an extra display and keyboard. Then you can sit by your desk getting most of your work done, and still be able to move it around when you need to.

Edit: To slow . . .

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Well the PB has it's advantages if you have an external mouse and KB.
When you are at home you can use a second monitor out of the box.
It's lite and you can easily take it with you in your home many people say you can move your iMac too but that will be very heavy. (the ATi 9700 is better than the gfx 5200)

in the end I think both options will be good.
Good luck with whatever you do ;)

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
Yeah, these are very different computers, but as for screen height / keyboard distance: I use my PowerBook in an iCurve (there are other stands out there of course), with an attached USB keyboard and BT mouse. The screen is at the right height, and the keyboard is flat on the desk. I also have another monitor I can use, separately or along with the PB's LCD, if necesary.

So while there are many reasons to go one way or another on this, I really wouldn't let screen height be one of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.