PDA

View Full Version : New Powerbook lid problem! One side higher than other.

MrMan112
Feb 27, 2005, 12:19 PM
I bought a new Powerbook about 3 weeks ago and I just noticed that when the lid is closed, the left side is flush with the computer (the rubber stops touch the bottom half of the laptop).

However, on the right side, the lid is about 2 mm abover the computer and does not touch it.

Maybe this just seems like alot of space to me because I'm a dentist. I thought I read that Apple had solved this problem, which used to occur with the earlier Powerbooks.

Should I try to get Apple to fix it? This isn't that big of a deal I know, but I paid alot for my notebook and I might as well have it the best it can be.

Thanks!!

diehldun
Feb 27, 2005, 12:37 PM
I bought a new Powerbook about 3 weeks ago and I just noticed that when the lid is closed, the left side is flush with the computer (the rubber stops touch the bottom half of the laptop).

However, on the right side, the lid is about 2 mm abover the computer and does not touch it.

Maybe this just seems like alot of space to me because I'm a dentist. I thought I read that Apple had solved this problem, which used to occur with the earlier Powerbooks.

Should I try to get Apple to fix it? This isn't that big of a deal I know, but I paid alot for my notebook and I might as well have it the best it can be.

Thanks!!

is your powerbook the 17"? I know my 17" PB has the EXACT same problem; I took it to the Apple Store and basically said it was cosmetic and nothing much they could do... doesn't it look really annoying??? I absolutely can't stand it, and cringe everytime I walk into an Apple Store and see a perfecly-alligned PowerBook... :mad:

MrMan112
Feb 27, 2005, 01:13 PM
I have the 15 incher

heels98
Feb 27, 2005, 01:32 PM
same thing here with my 15". left side is flush, right side sits up -- I wonder if it is a heat issue causing the lid to warp? oh well, i can live with it with this good of performance.

dotdotdot
Feb 27, 2005, 01:35 PM
Could be the same thing how the left side has louder sound than the right - a design flaw?

live4ever
Feb 27, 2005, 02:42 PM
I had this problem on my 1.25GHz 15" - the hinge tension seems to cause the uneveness.

diehldun
Feb 27, 2005, 03:01 PM
I had this problem on my 1.25GHz 15" - the hinge tension seems to cause the uneveness.

I've always suspected that one of the two "hooks" on the lid (17") didn't catch the latch, so that's why my left side is even (a bit high), and the right side is touching the area on top of the superdrive.

it seems like a small thing, but you'd be surprised how many people have noticed it...

I guess it's just something we'll have to live with (have been to Apple Store/Genius Bar, called Apple, etc.) no luck

PieMac
Feb 27, 2005, 03:07 PM
I had the exact same thing with my new 15" PowerBook that arrived three weeks ago. I finally decided to send it back for a refund and order a replacement (I bought it from an online retailer and thanks to their exceptional returns policy, I was able to do this as long as it was within 30 days). The first replacement arrived and was perfectly flush but had a small mark on the side of the aluminum casing, a stuck pixel, and the native white point of the display was waaaay off. After numerous calibration attempts, I still couldn't adjust it to where it looked right (had way too much yellow in it). So I sent that one back as well. Third one came this last week and third's a charm! The lid is flush (upon really close inspection, it might be just a fraction off but it is negligible and not worth fretting over if there is a slight difference...i would really have to actually measure it to tell for sure so I'm not too worried about it). Bottom line, had the third one not been a keeper, I would have just kept the original.

So all things considered, I wouldn't really worry about it. Had I not had the option to send mine back, I would have just kept it and I'm sure with time, I would have quit fretting over it (as long as it didn't get worse, in which case you can send it in to Apple for repair under warranty).

But I know what you mean about wanting everything to be just right. Unfortunatly, perfection is a hard thing to achieve with anything these days. The original one that I just sent back was my third PowerBook and it's the first time I've had a problem with any kind of quality issue right out of the box so I guess that's a pretty good track record.

bousozoku
Feb 27, 2005, 03:33 PM
A local friend was talking about that situation and the creaking hinges also.

I started by asking him if he had been opening the lid with one hand or two. I also asked if he opened the lid at the center or at one end.

After he answered both questions, it seemed that he was opening his PowerBook from one side only, which could (but should not, of course) cause both problems. He's now trying to open it with the other hand on the opposite side to correct it.

I've been trying to avoid the whole situation by opening mine in the centre.

NATO
Feb 27, 2005, 05:34 PM
My 15" 1.67GHz is exactly the same. I'm thinking of getting two little rubber spacers (I think they're made by RadTech) to even it out. Its very minor though.

Spock
Mar 1, 2005, 07:45 PM
My 12incher is the same I am forced to deal with it