Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gescom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Austin, TX
OK, so I just spent the last few days trying to research on the forums here and no one actually had enough information to sway me into feeling good about my online buy nor did they make me cancel the order for the Dodocase Bookback for the iPad2 and I have to say I am very glad.

Cost
The Dodocase Bookback for iPad 2 comes in at just under $20 without shipping. This is a great price point as many other cases are competing here. The history and success of the Dodocase brand is sure to make a buzz. When I first discovered this I was quick to grab one with the Red logo option, a stylish addition to the simple black material.

Ordering
I ordered my Bookback the day the iPad2 released and didn't receive it until today (03/29/11). I did have this shipped to my business, however, so a weekend delivery could have been possible if it was delivered to my home.

I had plenty of time to change my mind; this is something they should realize and speed up delivery for these items. I understand the original Dodocases (1 & 2) have more to them but the bookback should take less time to construct due to materials required alone.

Construction & Materials
As stated the construction of this appears to be quite simple. It is a Moroccan Fabric and is the same material they use on the Dodocases. It is easy to confuse for a high-end vinyl or perhaps a leather because of the texture they have applied to it.

I must confess I have owned Vajacases for my iPhones (none for the iPad) and have found that their supple leathers tend to wear down, show marks and stretch after long use (2-3 years). I am already realizing that the Bookback will easily outlive my Smartcase. If it was leather I would say it feels like the sleeve of a Motorcycle jacket that has its whole life to be broken in.

I feel that the texture and material are perfect and I personally would find myself shying away if it were any thinner or thicker.

The only concern I have with the Bookback would be where the corner tries to hug the speaker. I fear this may get smudged about and would peel up. Dodocase should consider removing that portion with a matching fillet as found on all the other corners.

Adhesion & Removal
The adhesive they apply to the back is nice and I have already applied it and reapplied it a few times to test this claim out (reapplied it 4x times total). My only gripe (if it can be considered a gripe) here is that the waxpaper that I removed came off in strips so I can't see myself attempting to reattach those should I want to store it to swap it out with another iPad Backing.

I would say, however, that a simple waxpaper out of the cooking drawer will satisfy as a replacement place for it to rest if I wanted to take it off the iPad but I am not too worried about this as for my part, I don't see myself ever removing this Bookback again.

Styling & Coordination
I equipped my iPad2 with a Black Leather Smartcover and feel they compliment one another well. Dodocase should consider expanding into the remaining Leather Smartcase colors for those looking to match their iPads covers. Currently only "Black" is offered with the logo being embossed in Black or Red.

I did notice, however, that the thickness of the Bookback is just enough to struggle with the magnet in the Smartcase on the farthest edge from the hinge when folded behind it flat for use. I noticed this immediately and a few shakes had it stick or unstick depending. It was about 50/50 after 10 shake attempts for me. So be warned for those that walk around shaking their iPads about when they try to use them. :)

Additionally, to be completely fair I must say I did'nt compare or notice this behavior before I added the Bookback so this could just be an existing quirk of the Smartcase.

Coverage
The Bookback does leave about an inch gap around the iPad and basically stops covering where the iPad begins to taper, and I can see why as the Bookback would be much harder to apply in those areas. If full iPad coverage is a dealbreaker then you already knew this from the Dodocase website photos.

I find the Bookback not too overpowering aesthetically, as I personally found the original iPad Bookback a turn off because it appeared to drape the entire back of the device. Dodocase has of course left spots for the camera and speaker (which should be considered a given) but this is something the Dodocase for iPad2 neglects to do properly. As mentioned earlier, a modification to the speaker cutout should be reviewed as it could (has not occurred as of yet) begin to peel here after some heavy traveling.

Additionally, if you were hoping for the Apple logo it is sadly covered up and only noticeable when viewed at an angle by its indent. Dodocase may want to give an option to cut this out for you for a few extra bucks.

Photos
I took a few pics and attempts to post the thickness with a ruler were fruitless. Let's hope these make the grade for everyone. :cool:

Summary
So in the end if you thought this was a good idea for the iPad2 then you will not be disappointed. The texture is durable, classic, and complementary to the Black Leather Smartcase. The cost is simple and, in my opinion, fairly priced at $20.

Dodocase has a real good idea with these Bookbacks and could find these to be the "De Facto" cover choice for many an iPad toter using Smartcases. By adding some slight adjustments to the cutout pattern as well as offering some colors to match more of Apples' Leather Smartcovers along with an Apple logo cutout option for the fanboys;

2011 could be the year of iPad 2.. ehm ... I mean Dodocase Bookbacks!

Attachments

• Photo Mar 29, 12 57 09 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 29, 12 57 09 PM.jpg
    872.1 KB · Views: 265
  • Photo Mar 29, 12 57 29 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 29, 12 57 29 PM.jpg
    819 KB · Views: 229
  • Photo Mar 29, 12 57 48 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 29, 12 57 48 PM.jpg
    806.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Photo Mar 29, 12 58 37 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 29, 12 58 37 PM.jpg
    857.1 KB · Views: 201
  • Photo Mar 29, 12 59 20 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 29, 12 59 20 PM.jpg
    758.2 KB · Views: 190

gescom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Austin, TX
More Pics

Here's a few more pics I had left over.

Attachments

• Photo Mar 29, 1 00 02 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 29, 1 00 02 PM.jpg
    835.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Photo Mar 29, 12 58 17 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 29, 12 58 17 PM.jpg
    888.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Photo Mar 29, 12 58 58 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 29, 12 58 58 PM.jpg
    889.5 KB · Views: 165
  • Photo Mar 29, 12 59 43 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 29, 12 59 43 PM.jpg
    857.4 KB · Views: 146

gescom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Austin, TX
LOL, yeah yours was by far the most informative one I found in my original searches. Thanks for the feedback!

gobes

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
Thanks for this, just ordered one! Perfect for me as I hate cases that add size. Will be using this with a smart cover, just a nice buffer when putting it down on the table.

Only $10 shipping to the UK too, brilliant!

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
One warning: this does not stay intact if you take it on and off. Unlike a SGP leather or CF for an I4, this shows the lines between the adhesive thru the surface if remove it often.

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
I have the Black Leather skin from SurfaceSkins and skin oils/fingerprints are easily transferred to it. Does the leather Dodocase Bookback have a similar issue?

hoody999

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
I have the Black Leather skin from SurfaceSkins and skin oils/fingerprints are easily transferred to it. Does the leather Dodocase Bookback have a similar issue?

I'd also be very interested in an answer to the skin oil/fingerprint question.

Funny seeing you here Sotie :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.