Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
I have an original iPod Firewire charger. Would this charge the iPad 2 if I use the Firewire to dock connector cable?

I don't have an iPad 2 (or original iPad) so I can't test this out. Thanks!

geko29

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
candybaws is right. The first-gen Nano was the first iThing that couldn't be charged via Firewire, and nothing since then has regained that ability.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Also the old FW/USB dock connector cables (using the USB2 plug, obviously) will take 2x to charge vs. the one supplied w/ the iPad 2. At least that was my experience. I now use this cable for syncing only.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
Darn! That sucks.

I can't imagine why it can't charge from the FireWire brick. Perhaps my mental image of the connections is incorrect. I thought whatever the FireWire DC pins are would map directly to the Dock DC pins, meaning that there isn't Dock DC pins devoted to either USB or FireWire, that they would be the same.

Well, if I can find my FireWire to Dock cable, I'll try to see if the charging will work. It's such a waste to throw away the FireWire brick and have to buy a USB brick charger for the iPad.

joshi3joshi

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
candybaws is right. The first-gen Nano was the first iThing that couldn't be charged via Firewire, and nothing since then has regained that ability.

wait really? I've been charging my 1st gen iphone with a firewire power brick from day one..and it works perfect.. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.