PDA

View Full Version : Which Slim/Thin Case Is Best?

epicmar
Mar 29, 2011, 10:50 PM
I returned my Apple Smart Cover today.

I have an AYL (TM) Genuine Leather Case Folio on the way.

I ordered a Tom Bihn Breve for iPad 2 - not suppose to ship until mid-April - I got this for not-work related use - more protection. I plan on using the AYL or other slim case for Monday-Friday in the office use.

I am also considering ordering some combination of the following to see what I like best for a slim, good for the office use case:

1. Marware C.E.O. Hybrid iPad 2 Case
2. CaseCrown Synthetic Leather Horizontal Flip Stand Case
3. Hard Candy candy convertible ipad 2 case

I want a slim case that provides a modest level of protection that is easy to open and put into typing mode - so no slip/pouch cases.

Oh yeah, my iPad 2 should arrive by 3/31

Which is the best slim case - suggestions greatly appreciated.

laurenr
Mar 29, 2011, 11:32 PM
I returned my Apple Smart Cover today.

I have an AYL (TM) Genuine Leather Case Folio on the way.

I ordered a Tom Bihn Breve for iPad 2 - not suppose to ship until mid-April - I got this for not-work related use - more protection. I plan on using the AYL or other slim case for Monday-Friday in the office use.

I am also considering ordering some combination of the following to see what I like best for a slim, good for the office use case:

1. Marware C.E.O. Hybrid iPad 2 Case
2. CaseCrown Synthetic Leather Horizontal Flip Stand Case
3. Hard Candy candy convertible ipad 2 case

I want a slim case that provides a modest level of protection that is easy to open and put into typing mode - so no slip/pouch cases.

Oh yeah, my iPad 2 should arrive by 3/31

Which is the best slim case - suggestions greatly appreciated.

The Marware seems similar to the Yoobao Magic case. A lot of people like the slim profile, the notched multi-position stand, and the fact that it clips closed. The two negatives are that the ipad is easily dislodged in most positions, unless it sits on a table....(holding it on your lap is the problem that most people complain about); second minus is the exposed corners. That's fine if you are quite sure you won't ever let your iPad slip out of your hand accidentally. Many users like to see their "whole" iPad, depending on their needs/tastes/concerns. ( I am too much of a klutz to risk this.:p)

The Case crown has a very thick bezel, which you can compare to your Yoobao when you receive it, which allows the color of the iPad frame (black/white) to show.Take a close look at both their pictures to see if this would be an issue for you. It's a matter of personal opinion on that one, whichever you prefer.

The last you mention, the Hard Candy, looks the most striking, and it's certainly been proven what a practical design of form/function that "original Apple iPad case" is. My only concern with this case is the faux nubuck material - would it be a dirt magnet like the Apple case was? I must say though, the sleek profile of this case appeals to me, would be perfect in real leather.

All of the above, is just my opinion, feel free to take some, all or nothing; it is ultimately your device.:)

psychonaut
Mar 29, 2011, 11:38 PM
I just posted a video review on the Hard Candy Convertible case on my YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbaBTrJRxCM and so far I think the case rocks!

It has a couple of very minor issues (nothing major for me) but like the post assumed above I can verify that the black version attracts lint quite a bit and will require a lint roller from time to time or a spray to help detract lint collection. It also came out of the box near odorless which was nice considering many of these cases have a strong chemical smell.

jedolley
Mar 29, 2011, 11:42 PM
I just posted a video review on the Hard Candy Convertible case on my YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbaBTrJRxCM and so far I think the case rocks!

It has a couple of very minor issues (nothing major for me) but like the post assumed above I can verify that the black version attracts lint quite a bit and will require a lint roller from time to time or a spray to help detract lint collection. It also came out of the box near odorless which was nice considering many of these cases have a strong chemical smell.

Thanks! Watching it now. I originally wanted this for my iPad1, but their first case had a huge design flaw (or at least the first batch/revision) in that they did not include a flap to tuck in to keep the iPad secured.

psychonaut
Mar 30, 2011, 12:07 AM
Thanks! Watching it now. I originally wanted this for my iPad1, but their first case had a huge design flaw (or at least the first batch/revision) in that they did not include a flap to tuck in to keep the iPad secured.

Just realized this case covers the light sensor. I have an email in to Hard Candy Cases to see how they plan to deal with that.

gigaguy
Mar 30, 2011, 12:30 AM
Why demo the candy case with a gel case on the iPad?
Wasn't this case designed to put the naked iPad in, for the thinness?
Also the case looks worse in regards to lint, dirt and no auto on/off, it fails on too many fronts, there is a lot of competition.
I got the stinky Yoobao slim leather case, it's better but the toxic smell and ruboff is annoying and unpleasant. It fits well, and is slim, ok for now if the smell goes away.

epicmar
Mar 31, 2011, 10:14 PM
I received my brown, Yoobao case yesterday (same day that my iPad arrived). I also got notice that Apple received the smart cover that I returned and credited by charge card for almost the same amount as the Yoobao case cost.

My Yoobao case had a pretty toxic odor when I took it out of the packaging yesterday evening, but it hardly has an odor at all 24 hours later. I got lots of compliments on the case at work today. It really does look good and appears to be made well. I like that it is very slim.

hcho3
Mar 31, 2011, 10:21 PM
Yoobao case seems to have some issue with sleep/wake function. The magnet is poorly placed and I saw that on the youtube video by macrumors member. So, I did not order.

Apple smart cover is not a case. It's a cover. It should not even be compared. I will be getting a smart cover for general use at home, but that's it.

For longer travel, I am getting a hard case.