PDA

View Full Version : Pad and Quill Octavo for ipad 2

blueridge
Mar 30, 2011, 08:19 AM
ok.. i got order with portenzo and dunno when they will ship so going to try to order one from p&q today.. anyone else.. my wife ordered a treegloo.. i will review and compare when/if they arrive.. just wondering who else is going with the Octavo..

Steviejobz
Mar 30, 2011, 08:31 AM
ok.. i got order with portenzo and dunno when they will ship so going to try to order one from p&q today.. anyone else.. my wife ordered a treegloo.. i will review and compare when/if they arrive.. just wondering who else is going with the Octavo..

I have one en route. Was shipped yesterday.

blueridge
Mar 30, 2011, 09:06 AM
I have one en route. Was shipped yesterday.

cool.. saw your post in the other thread.. we'll have to give our opinions once they arrive..

tyranocore
Mar 30, 2011, 02:39 PM
ordered pad & quill octavo (blue, with pocket) on sunday, shipped tuesday, received today (express shipping).

could not be happier with the octavo - construction quality is excellent and I really like the bound leather they are using for the outside of the case. if anyone was wondering, the case strap covers the camera hole nicely, and the magnet in the cover turns the ipad on like a charm.

any questions about the octavo, just ask!

Steviejobz
Mar 30, 2011, 02:43 PM
ordered pad & quill octavo (blue, with pocket) on sunday, shipped tuesday, received today (express shipping).

could not be happier with the octavo - construction quality is excellent and I really like the bound leather they are using for the outside of the case. if anyone was wondering, the case strap covers the camera hole nicely, and the magnet in the cover turns the ipad on like a charm.

any questions about the octavo, just ask!

Mind sharing a pic? How about the fold of the cover to type and view horizontal?

prisoner6
Mar 30, 2011, 02:44 PM
Cool.

Pictures? How well does it hold it in?

ragermac
Mar 30, 2011, 02:49 PM
wonderful, I changed my mind from the Treegloo for Octavo. (was not fond of the wood).

Please tell us more. How secure is the ipad 2?

Steviejobz
Mar 30, 2011, 02:53 PM
wonderful, I changed my mind from the Treegloo for Octavo. (was not fond of the wood).

Please tell us more. How secure is the ipad 2?

I like the Treegloo options but the pine wood grains are not typically as good but I guess if properly stained should not matter.

I think I will like the Octavo once it comes and use Treegloo as a potential backup should something bad happen.

blevins321
Mar 30, 2011, 03:28 PM
I ordered a Portenzo this morning but then noticed the threads about how hardly any of them had shipped...I wonder how long it will take to get to me. I'm order #7004 lol.

blueridge
Mar 30, 2011, 03:50 PM
got blue octavo ordered today.. hopefully i will get shipping notice..

tyranocore.. can you post pics and small review in this thread to help others.. thanks..

Steviejobz
Mar 30, 2011, 04:04 PM
I ordered a Portenzo this morning but then noticed the threads about how hardly any of them had shipped...I wonder how long it will take to get to me. I'm order #7004 lol.

Someone with an order # of 5000 still has nothing. So it might take a while

Steviejobz
Mar 30, 2011, 04:08 PM
Another reviewer on Facebook:

Jeff DeVincent
I got mine today! WOW!
In response I posted the following in the Apple site discussion boards!

My, oh my ... um ... have ANY of you heard of and/or purchased the Pad & Quill Octavo for your new iPad 2?!?!? Well, I sure DID ... and I'm so glad that I did ... it's UNREAL!

What a great FIND! It's another Moleskin-like case on the market of late, however the quality is FAR SUPERIOR to others similar to it (and I own them all)!

The black Italian leather is supple, plush, and realistic; the binding is crafty, tight, and professional ... the woodwork?!? UNREAL! The iPad fits perfectly and tightly into the study hard wood frame in which the design provides full iPad access AND also imparts a new lovely twist ... a FABULOUS sound channel that actually magnifies the sound of the speaker acoustically!

The Octavo is a real feat in my book! Anyone else?!

blueridge
Mar 30, 2011, 04:22 PM
nice.. cant wait.. well i guess i can been waiting for portenzo lol :eek:

dereklai.
Mar 30, 2011, 05:06 PM
Tyranocore, could you post an image of the headphone jack area? that's the only thing that's stopping me from buying it right now... i really need to see how much space there is.

Spitfire411
Mar 30, 2011, 05:12 PM
tyranocore posted some pics in the Portenzo thread. They're good shots and made me order one and cancel my Portenzo order.
I think Pad & Quill needs to update their stock photos on their site as they look inferior to the product they're actually shipping. Probably prototype photos...

TimTheEnchanter
Mar 30, 2011, 05:20 PM
Holy crap! They're like 1 mile from me in St. Louis Park, Minnesota! :eek:

Wonder if they'd do a custom job for me if I designed it...hmmm.... :rolleyes:

blueridge
Mar 30, 2011, 05:34 PM
moved his pics over here..

http://i.imgur.com/opvS6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PHdDN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KWaPN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qoBVB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uqRHI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pFaXn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HNcgR.jpg

these pics should help answer some of your concerns.

1. corners are bound tightly and cleanly, everything looks great and like it will hold up over time. if you were referring to the edges of the wood frame... everything is very very smooth, no rough edges anywhere

2. camera port is drilled smoothly and perfectly round.. brushed out a few specks of leather, obviously left from the drilling process. could stand to move up on the case 1 or 2 mm to center better with the camera, but honestly, you can barely notice this, and the camera is fully functional

3. never had one of these cases before.. dodo, Portenzo, or otherwise, so i cannot comment on this. I will say the frame is very sleek, and the same width as the iPad itself... meaning the iPad screen is flush with the top of the frame when secured in th case.

4. the iPad fits in the frame very very snuggly. there is no chance the iPad is going to come out unless you pry it out and or use the bookmark to assist. yes I did do a shake test, and my iPad didn't budge

5. the sound chamber is great! it actually seems to amplify the sound a bit since with the case, sound is directed towards your ears rather than your lap

everyone, please let me know if you want to see any other shots of the case or have any questions... good luck, and I just want to say I have nothing against Portenzo, and look forward to trying their product one day.

SINphul
Mar 30, 2011, 05:44 PM
I like the look of these, but that camera hole and the corners just don't look as polished as the Portenzo notebook. But the customer service and speed of delivery is very appealing with Pad & Quill. Not sure which way to go at this point.

bigwinnerx
Mar 30, 2011, 06:02 PM
Can't get behind the plywood of this or the Portenzo. Liking Treegloo more and more.

tyranocore
Mar 30, 2011, 06:04 PM
Mind sharing a pic? How about the fold of the cover to type and view horizontal?

when folding the octavo cover back and laying the iPad horizontally for typing on a flat surface, the case actually does not provide much of an angle... in all honesty, there is almost no inclination.

tyranocore
Mar 30, 2011, 06:14 PM
Tyranocore, could you post an image of the headphone jack area? that's the only thing that's stopping me from buying it right now... i really need to see how much space there is.

as requested:

http://i.imgur.com/ejVAf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hVMP2.jpg

there is plenty of clearance there... I have tested normal ear bud type straight jacks, as well as a straight jack from a pair of studio headphones (audiotechnica athm50). might have an issue with an "L" type jack..

dereklai.
Mar 30, 2011, 06:49 PM
f

josun
Mar 30, 2011, 08:39 PM
when folding the octavo cover back and laying the iPad horizontally for typing on a flat surface, the case actually does not provide much of an angle... in all honesty, there is almost no inclination.

I think that has to do with the thinness of the iPad rather than the case. I suspect this will be the case for all moleskin type cases.

gigaguy
Mar 30, 2011, 08:51 PM
Edit - what do people use this type case for? looks boxy from pix, maybe they are better in person, this one looks better and thin, I would want nothing to make the ipad considerably bulkier or thick.

glen e
Mar 30, 2011, 08:56 PM
Can't get behind the plywood of this or the Portenzo. Liking Treegloo more and more.

ditto - I still have no answer from any of these companies why they cannot stain the wood darker - Russian birch this....it looks like plywood to me....I'm staining mine when I get it...

benjayman2
Mar 30, 2011, 08:58 PM
So is the thinness really .6"

blueridge
Mar 30, 2011, 09:00 PM
Edit - what do people use this type case for? looks boxy from pix, maybe they are better in person, this one looks better and thin, I would want nothing to make the ipad considerably bulkier or thick.

The reason i like these moleskin cases if for 1 protection and 2 for cognito when im out and about.. Everyone is different..

RA19
Mar 30, 2011, 09:04 PM
Ordered a Treegloo today with the ebony wood frame & suede trim. These cases all look cool, but the darker wood edged it for me. Gone with cloth lining & rear camera cut-out.

Spitfire411
Mar 31, 2011, 09:31 AM
Got an email that my order has been prepared for shipment. Ordered it yesterday. I assume it will be going out end-of-day today. Anyone in Canada receive theirs yet? I'm hoping to have it mid next week.

ragermac
Mar 31, 2011, 10:15 AM
I received a similar noticed. I purchased yesterday. I cannot wait! :D

blueridge
Mar 31, 2011, 10:20 AM
nice..

technicka
Mar 31, 2011, 12:00 PM
For anyone that has purchased the Octavo for iPad 2, how effective is it at being stood up? I mean like this:
http://www.padandquill.com/data/images/ipad10.jpg

Is it easy to knock it over/unsteady?

and does anyone have the pocket? worth it?

Jhutchings
Mar 31, 2011, 12:36 PM
Mine has arrived after shipping on the 29th. Can't wait to get home and try it today.

blueridge
Mar 31, 2011, 12:46 PM
Mine has arrived after shipping on the 29th. Can't wait to get home and try it today.

nice.. do a review and pics :D

Steviejobz
Mar 31, 2011, 02:23 PM
USPS arrived. Can't wait to leave work to check out the Octavo. Pics forthcoming. Ordered Saturday night (3/26) at 11pm and at my door 5 days later. Not too bad.

blueridge
Mar 31, 2011, 02:23 PM
USPS arrived. Can't wait to leave work to check out the Octavo. Pics forthcoming. Ordered Saturday night (3/26) at 11pm and at my door 5 days later. Not too bad.

nice.. my wife had a portenzo background waiting for her case.. she just told me she was changing it lol

Steviejobz
Mar 31, 2011, 05:29 PM
Just got my Octavo in the mail and it has definitely exceeded my expectations. First of all, I was expecting it to be heavier and it is super light. It does not add much bulk at all to the slim iPad.

Came in a nice box with some well printed documentation and wrapping. It even has a great "new car" type smell. ;) It came with a little piece of rubber (see small plastic baggie in the pics) where you could add extra tension if you want but it does not need any out of the box.

The corners are perfectly sanded. The inside lid corners (many were commenting about the liner fold) are actually less noticeable in real life than in photos. The are basically flat and even.

The iPad fits very well into the setting and after several aggressive shake tests I can confirm that it will not fall out. The bookmark may not even be needed given the tapering of the iPad. But once inside the setting, the top of the iPad is nice and flush with the top of the wood.

The smart cover works as designed turning the ipad on and off.

No issue with the case standing in landscape mode. When the cover is folded all the way back, there is not much of a typing angle since the cover is designed to not have a huge gap. So if coming from an Apple Smart Cover and you like the 30 degree angle, these kinds of cases could be an issue.

The cutouts for the control are pretty good and the sleep button at the top is probably the toughest to get to but more so due to the tapering of the iPad rather than a case issue. But I have no issue reaching any of the other controls or headphone jack.

Sorry my camera isn't that great and had to use lamp light since it is already dark in my apartment. If anyone has any questions let me know.

But I am really happy with the Octavo so far and will update as I use it more and it gets a little more wear and tear.

Steviejobz
Mar 31, 2011, 05:30 PM
A few more pics

Jhutchings
Mar 31, 2011, 05:33 PM
Ok just installed my iPad into the case. Never had anything like this before so can not compare it to the other manufacturers. Some initial thoughts. Much different than my smart cover sleeve combo. I have a BSE skin on the back of my iPad and it does not affect anything so that is good. Now the workmanship seems fine. Everything lines up and iPad is secure in the case. Camera hole is right where it needs to be. Wood is very smooth and the outer cover is tight. Tried the upside down shake test and the iPad is secure. The package came with an additional bumper that can be used to adjust the tension between the wood and the iPad for a more secure fit. I do not believe I will need to adjust anything. The top cover sits flush with the top of the iPad. All in all it is very nice. Like I said need to get used to it compared to my other setup. I will post pictures shortly. I will say the case is well made.

josun
Mar 31, 2011, 05:48 PM
I have a BSE skin on the back of my iPad and it does not affect anything so that is good.

I was very curious about this as I'm planning to do the same if I do end up getting a portenzo or a pad&quill. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

KylePowers
Mar 31, 2011, 05:50 PM
Pictures request: Closed with iPad installed (different angles) and in the 'typing' position with iPad installed. Thanks!

machacker
Mar 31, 2011, 05:53 PM
I also just received mine. And since I haven't seen anyone talk about this yet.

I mainly use my iPad as a reading device. So the whole point of the Pad and Quill was to hold it while I was reading. HOWEVER. I have to say, the Octavo really fell short in this department in my eyes.

Everytime I folded the cover around so I could hold it, the screen clicked off. The magnet was coming through the back of the case and activating the smart switch. This was one of the features that I bought it for, and it was rendered completely useless. I had to disable the smart switch just to read my book. Also the same happened when I was typing mode.

This major flaw was a serious issue for me, so I think I might be returning the case DESPITE the fact that I love everything else about the case.

Jhutchings
Mar 31, 2011, 05:59 PM
Here are some pictures

Jhutchings
Mar 31, 2011, 06:02 PM

I mainly use my iPad as a reading device. So the whole point of the Pad and Quill was to hold it while I was reading. HOWEVER. I have to say, the Octavo really fell short in this department in my eyes.

Everytime I folded the cover around so I could hold it, the screen clicked off. The magnet was coming through the back of the case and activating the smart switch. This was one of the features that I bought it for, and it was rendered completely useless. I had to disable the smart switch just to read my book. Also the same happened when I was typing mode.

This major flaw was a serious issue for me, so I think I might be returning the case DESPITE the fact that I love everything else about the case.

I have not had the problem with the device turning off with the cover folded around. I would contact them for a replacement. The only if for me is the typing angle when folded. I will test this. Again overall great case.

Jhutchings
Mar 31, 2011, 06:07 PM
By the way machacker see you have a new MacBook i5. How do you like it. I just ordered one myself.

Steviejobz
Mar 31, 2011, 06:10 PM

This doesn't happen to mine. Either folded back or in typing mode. Perhaps they can send you a replacement? Their customer service has been A+ so far.

machacker
Mar 31, 2011, 06:30 PM
I'm kind of surprised that I'm the only one who is having the issue, seeing as the little card that was inside the case said "It happens so rarely that we decided not to change it" ahh well. I will email them and see what they say. I LOVE the case.

I love the macbook pro 13". The i5 Sandy bridge is perfect for the machine. And the combo of the 13" pro and my iPad....it's just amazing. I have the perfect productive set up.

KylePowers
Mar 31, 2011, 06:33 PM
How's the sound from the speaker? Does it redirect toward the user well? Any loss of clarity? Does it sound muffled? Thanks again!

machacker
Mar 31, 2011, 07:10 PM
Honestly the sound channel was one of my favorite things about the case. The sound redirection was amazing. It made the sound come out so much clearer.

Steviejobz
Mar 31, 2011, 07:22 PM
Honestly the sound channel was one of my favorite things about the case. The sound redirection was amazing. It made the sound come out so much clearer.

+1 Totally agree. Just played several types of music and voice podcast and sound was SO much better.

Xultar
Mar 31, 2011, 07:34 PM
I'm kind of surprised that I'm the only one who is having the issue, seeing as the little card that was inside the case said "It happens so rarely that we decided not to change it" ahh well. I will email them and see what they say. I LOVE the case.

I love the macbook pro 13". The i5 Sandy bridge is perfect for the machine. And the combo of the 13" pro and my iPad....it's just amazing. I have the perfect productive set up.

Don't be surprised, I bet some times one or two magnets in the thousands they buy can be unusually strong thus, causing the issue.

I wonder if there is a way you can tone it down without having to return...or while waiting for a replacement. Maybe by sticking to the fridge overnight or something like that.

I'm sure a science blog may have something or maybe a few sticky notes placed strategically would help. That way you can keep your case until you get the replacement so you won't have to go case...less.

machacker
Mar 31, 2011, 08:03 PM
I'll have to do some looking around. I'm going to contact them just incase. I love the case, but that just kills it for me....

comixster
Mar 31, 2011, 11:05 PM
Very nice. Thanks for posting pics.

blueridge
Apr 1, 2011, 07:23 AM
thanks for the pics and reviews..

comixster
Apr 1, 2011, 07:26 AM
I just placed in an order today...hopefully everything's fine when it arrives...now I've to look for a power support screen protector...

Spitfire411
Apr 1, 2011, 09:37 AM
My order has been "awaiting shipment" since early yesterday morning. Did people get a notice that it actually shipped? I'm surprised it didn't go out yesterday afternoon. I'm hoping to have it by next Friday.

brianm801
Apr 1, 2011, 10:05 AM

I think this is going to be an issue for a lot of 'early to market' iPad2 cases. The Yoobao case that just started shipping does the same thing... its very annoying.

On a different subject.. Can somebody snap a picture of the Pad&Quill logo on the back of the case? How big is it?

Jhutchings
Apr 1, 2011, 10:06 AM
Ok been using the case this morning, and since I have nothing else to compare to, I do notice that the ipad seems to come out of the case easier than I would have expected. For example I can open the case and the right bottom corner will come out pretty easy. I have tried adjusting the bumper material with the extra material sent, still maybe this is to be expected with these cases, I saw a dodocase demo and it came out very easy. Any other opinions or suggestions?

blueridge
Apr 1, 2011, 11:02 AM
My order has been "awaiting shipment" since early yesterday morning. Did people get a notice that it actually shipped? I'm surprised it didn't go out yesterday afternoon. I'm hoping to have it by next Friday.

mine said same thing got that like 7am.. nothing since

Steviejobz
Apr 1, 2011, 12:38 PM
I think this is going to be an issue for a lot of 'early to market' iPad2 cases. The Yoobao case that just started shipping does the same thing... its very annoying.

On a different subject.. Can somebody snap a picture of the Pad&Quill logo on the back of the case? How big is it?

Pretty transparent. First day that I brought the Octavo to work with me and everyone was in awe. Nobody even knew they made these style cases. :)

Steviejobz
Apr 1, 2011, 12:39 PM
Ok been using the case this morning, and since I have nothing else to compare to, I do notice that the ipad seems to come out of the case easier than I would have expected. For example I can open the case and the right bottom corner will come out pretty easy. I have tried adjusting the bumper material with the extra material sent, still maybe this is to be expected with these cases, I saw a dodocase demo and it came out very easy. Any other opinions or suggestions?

Have not had any issue. What about tucking in the bookmark? Does it still come out easily? If so, I would just ask them to send you a replacement. They have been very easy to deal with.

Jhutchings
Apr 1, 2011, 12:45 PM
I sent an email to them this morning on their website. No response yet. Is their a better way to contact them.

Steviejobz
Apr 1, 2011, 01:13 PM
I sent an email to them this morning on their website. No response yet. Is their a better way to contact them.

You can also try Facebook.

Xultar
Apr 1, 2011, 01:15 PM

I'd give them 24 hours at least. I'm sure their orders picked up when Portenzo went in to the toilet with their backlog.

comixster
Apr 1, 2011, 01:44 PM
how is the feel of the leather cover like?

dereklai.
Apr 1, 2011, 03:12 PM
i sent an email ages ago and no response. can anyone link me to them on facebook? i can't even access that.

Steviejobz
Apr 1, 2011, 03:53 PM
i sent an email ages ago and no response. can anyone link me to them on facebook? i can't even access that.

Get a Facebook account and go here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pad-and-Quill/130733653626749

Like the page, and then either send them a private message or post a status update.

Jhutchings
Apr 1, 2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks just posted on their Facebook page.

blueridge
Apr 1, 2011, 06:05 PM
was busy all day today.. checked when i got home and no update still says 'awaiting shipment'..

dereklai.
Apr 1, 2011, 07:27 PM
thanks for the facebook link, but it still doesn't work. i'm going up the wall trying to figure this out.

Jhutchings
Apr 1, 2011, 07:38 PM
On the Facebook page select the like button first. Then you can post and reply on their wall.

dereklai.
Apr 1, 2011, 08:49 PM
no, no, i can't even access the page from the site or the link provided. it's bananas... someone help, please?

Jhutchings
Apr 1, 2011, 08:58 PM
From Facebook do a search for pad and quill that should get you there.

Jhutchings
Apr 1, 2011, 09:11 PM
Ok they did reply to my post on Facebook requesting I email them. That seems to be the best way to contact them. I believe they will do whatever it takes to make things work right

blueridge
Apr 1, 2011, 09:21 PM
Ok they did reply to my post on Facebook requesting I email them. That seems to be the best way to contact them. I believe they will do whatever it takes to make things work right

nice.. good customer service.. ;)

Jhutchings
Apr 1, 2011, 09:44 PM
Ok got a second email from them. They work late. No worry here. They seem to stand behind their product.

redzapper
Apr 1, 2011, 11:15 PM
But I am really happy with the Octavo so far and will update as I use it more and it gets a little more wear and tear.

Thanks for the great review.

I am glad I cancelled my Portenzo order -didn't look like I was going to get it anytime soon anyway.

Look forward to an update!

blueridge
Apr 2, 2011, 07:59 AM
didnt see this in here.. saw it on portenzo thread lol. nice review..

http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/press-releases/review-of-the-octavo-for-ipad-2/

Jhutchings
Apr 2, 2011, 08:53 AM
Ok. Got another email this morning. They ate shipping me another one out today and crediting my account 10 dollars so I can send mine back after I receive the new one. Very quick customer service and outstanding. I have no issues with the workmanship of my case. Issues do happen and they took care of it. Outstanding.

primary
Apr 2, 2011, 01:23 PM
Ok. Got another email this morning. They ate shipping me another one out today and crediting my account 10 dollars so I can send mine back after I receive the new one. Very quick customer service and outstanding. I have no issues with the workmanship of my case. Issues do happen and they took care of it. Outstanding.

this makes me happy that I ordered the octavo. :p

Jhutchings
Apr 2, 2011, 01:34 PM
Already shipped today. They emailed me a tracking number.

blueridge
Apr 2, 2011, 01:58 PM
Already shipped today. They emailed me a tracking number.

i got same email this morning :)

Spitfire411
Apr 2, 2011, 06:52 PM
I got my shipping notice this morning as well. Hopefully no issues at the border and I have it by Friday. Going on a trip and my iPad will have it's first exposure to the wild outdoors.

primary
Apr 3, 2011, 06:29 PM
i'm thinking of sanding down the port areas when i get my octavo to make them more accessible (and maybe lighter). do you think it can be easily done with the birch wood?

blueridge
Apr 3, 2011, 06:54 PM
i think its possible however just be careful as you dont want to weaken the case any..

SINphul
Apr 3, 2011, 07:44 PM
Just ordered mine yesterday; very excited. Got fed up with Portenzo, and have been super impressed by the customer service and speedy delivery I'm seeing everyone receive from Pad & Quill.

Jhutchings
Apr 4, 2011, 05:32 PM
Got a replacement case today. Pad and Quill addressed my issues very quickly and I will say this case is perfect and tight. Just what I wanted. Great, great customer service.

blueridge
Apr 5, 2011, 07:48 PM
Mine should be here tomorrow i hope

American Beauty
Apr 6, 2011, 11:19 AM
My Octavo just got here. Took exactly one week from the time I ordered to the time it got into my hands. I got the blue interior. It's super nice, very well made. Leather and wood look and feel great. Weight and thickness are like carrying an old yearbook but a little heavier. Camera hole is centered. It came with instructions and extra bumper material.

I also got a Bookbook case from Twelve South a couple weeks ago while I was waiting for Portenzo (which I ended up quitting on). I have to say that while I love the moleskine-type cases and am beyond happy with the quality of the Octavo, I just love the bookbook more in terms of look/feel/cushioning.

I will post pics of both later when I get a minute.

benjayman2
Apr 6, 2011, 11:29 AM
@American Beauty
I also considered the bookbook and was surprised that it been rarely mentioned on here. Maybe the look is a bit too much and some people may not like all the straps that cover the bezel. I found the way to adjust angle in landscape mode a clever idea.

slaphotk
Apr 6, 2011, 01:10 PM
@American Beauty Yes..Plz post pics of Bookbook and Octavo together..I'm very close on pulling the trigger on the Bookbook based on look etc but I still need to get my head around the whole strap thing on the inside..

eg2007
Apr 6, 2011, 01:18 PM
My Octavo just got here. Took exactly one week from the time I ordered to the time it got into my hands. I got the blue interior. It's super nice, very well made. Leather and wood look and feel great. Weight and thickness are like carrying an old yearbook but a little heavier. Camera hole is centered. It came with instructions and extra bumper material.

I also got a Bookbook case from Twelve South a couple weeks ago while I was waiting for Portenzo (which I ended up quitting on). I have to say that while I love the moleskine-type cases and am beyond happy with the quality of the Octavo, I just love the bookbook more in terms of look/feel/cushioning.

I will post pics of both later when I get a minute.

I actually have the same exact setup as you. BookBook in my hands now, and the Octavio should be here today.

I really love the BookBook. I put a little magnet on the inside and attached it with double-sided tape to activate the on/off feature. Works perfectly.

Looking forward to comparing the two together.

slaphotk
Apr 6, 2011, 01:21 PM
@eg2007. Awesome! Look forward to your comparison...I use my Ipad 2 alot for reading while traveling and taking notes at business meetings etc

eg2007
Apr 6, 2011, 01:47 PM
@eg2007. Awesome! Look forward to your comparison...I use my Ipad 2 alot for reading while traveling and taking notes at business meetings etc

I'll post some pics when I get the Octavio.

I highly recommend the BookBook. I love it and the strap isn't a deal breaker. The reason I got it, was because I was out at a meeting and had my iPad 2 sitting out on a table at a coffee shop. I started to get paranoid, because at the time, I was using a simple Targus case. Anyone could tell I had an iPad sitting there. So, I wanted to keep it hidden and that's why I got the BookBook. I feel so much safer now :)

Daghost
Apr 6, 2011, 02:09 PM
Mine shipped today via Priority Mail. Does anyone have info regarding how many days it generally takes?

Steviejobz
Apr 6, 2011, 02:29 PM
Mine shipped today via Priority Mail. Does anyone have info regarding how many days it generally takes?

mine took 2 days

Daghost
Apr 6, 2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks SJ. Hoping for a Friday delivery.

blueridge
Apr 6, 2011, 03:41 PM
ahh mine didnt make it today.. tracking shows it about 2hrs from me.. stupid usps lol

American Beauty
Apr 6, 2011, 04:19 PM
Ok here are a ton of pictures of both the Octavo and the Bookbook. They're all slightly blue because of the gloomy day here.

In the box were the case, an instruction sheet, a history sheet, a card notifying the rare possibility that the magnet would trigger when folded behind, and some extra bumper material.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/stephj333/363aaa80.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/stephj333/552e743c.jpg

On to the case:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/stephj333/ad86ad7f.jpg

It has a really nice texture:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/stephj333/81a278b5.jpg

I tried to get pictures of all of the openings for buttons and sound. Music really does sound great with the ipad in the case thanks to the wood channel.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/stephj333/a3b98c72.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/stephj333/8457058b.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/stephj333/099b425a.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/stephj333/8fa5d909.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/stephj333/628be591.jpg

The logo on the back actually looks nice.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/stephj333/27988923.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/stephj333/62f646eb.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/stephj333/7cdfdf94.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/stephj333/c69d5d8a.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/stephj333/215f47cd.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/stephj333/1cc51ff3.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/stephj333/77f5a76d.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/stephj333/57fc9761.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/stephj333/47747ac4.jpg

blueridge
Apr 6, 2011, 04:54 PM
thanks for sharing the pics.. awesome.. cant wait for mine tomorrow :)

UnseenLlama
Apr 6, 2011, 06:19 PM
Posted this in another thread people asked about it here too. On to the bookbook (red version):
SUPER GEEK ALERT!!!

That looks awesome! Great job! Glad you are able to take other things that you love and incorporate it with technology.

aricher
Apr 6, 2011, 06:42 PM
I love the Harry Potter-esque BookBook - awesome. I'm not a fan though of how BookBook implements the corners, kind of clunky, especially when switching to landscape mode. I wish they could make an internal frame like the competition but keep they outer shell as-is.

ShuShulSan
Apr 6, 2011, 06:49 PM
Got it today. I thought people like to see some images. Any question or request is welcomed.

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/5ad9667038e58e7097c3f7d27b7755c1248d1b9a314185f78d1516724bebcb0c6g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/4d61a7b8f2f2031aff95dd13cc1dd9323f6012bf88203a4b1dbe8503252cdae66g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/5d21a7520905c814d756edf231ed05a7856cf66c1152b7a31bb935adf2c834476g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/3aa9dc1d7d5fd858a94e1bc8c5571abf1a9226c656a48d9e45a3ad474d753a846g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/a8c2b33a49d9527bf0a5dd8c5196f331c96b946faf16d03468c4d13b3e6c742c6g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/3307f3acbe79cd888fa4ac48e6cf3a13cfd977d1cdf192484fde2ee484fd01c16g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/4d5c604ce757504c2e64b58b4ab7bac9e24e77155b9f3276a8bf4b478274feee6g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/16828aedf8afa6381e0cb900c330503a0ce966372faf10c5d1e8fd8267f352dc6g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/63e3a897c5abd3f3fa45016b800f7c3d1b5178301eaae2370c01dcbd48f618626g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/f26ad69379f978fbbf6a537f6530a968643ba84c1667deec78ec56b0c17f0d706g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/0987d69b77b29c6fb3d5880a93e4e5b7d2dc242301595c9b8e36a544e498eb406g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/8c1a419b354aa6b764f54a72b43b19c46c00318f392e9f3d40ecec4e88ea53186g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/a9e4fdd6bb11e55ffdffbdf8ed49775f66dff5e19b8f558f4359c324829d1d6c6g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/6d169f5e9dd5b5f4f5477c1cedc06dfd68abd2f6e5fbd670af4597f546f309386g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/9ee78a428f616037676aa88507e4dc71c3290da1265088a3fdf88917572e07516g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/beac9585b00b1e6ca5da09f61145f8c9ed6f49d56fbab4f123a4dfb91462d40e6g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/d7a7e83ff46774de9bdafd8ac6e70301ac0b6da5ca1899f07eabacea192ed6ec6g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/3de0e9285bb78ad8f3e5c8c7996794bc96765122b83b8cb52933ed44ee4067896g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/83009b4400c0664c1b7bcddfc854d73d8632331153cfca6aff0a6df8c1e53dc86g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/214947af13514024392702e83debe93bd7d4c3b10e7ba9f0f2ae8cfbbeae30906g.jpg

blueridge
Apr 6, 2011, 06:56 PM
That harry potter look is awesome...

Shu.. Thanks for sharing.. Mine should look just like yours ;)

Xultar
Apr 6, 2011, 07:01 PM
The wood is very nice!

SINphul
Apr 6, 2011, 09:56 PM
Out of curiosity, are the corners that hold the iPad in made of foam? Or are they rubber?

grimwanderer
Apr 6, 2011, 10:04 PM
The blue lining looks better in the pictures above than it does on P&Q's site. I decided against the Octavo as the pictures there made the lining look like baby blue. :-)

Mr. Moo
Apr 6, 2011, 10:55 PM
Got mine today with the green interior. Very nice case. I would have preferred real leather at this price, but no big deal. My iPad fit perfectly.

http://i51.tinypic.com/1zydbhx.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/20397m.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/2vbpz00.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/o882lg.jpg

blueridge
Apr 7, 2011, 06:06 AM
Mr. Moo.. that looks nice.. thx for sharing.. mine SHOULD be here today.. in fact let me look at tracking :)

EDIT:.. just checked it should be delivered today its in my town main post office.. sweet

Steviejobz
Apr 7, 2011, 07:17 AM
Pretty good review of Octavo here with pictures:

http://stockbox.blogspot.com/2011/04/quest-for-great-looking-ipad-2-case.html

blueridge
Apr 7, 2011, 09:43 AM
nice.. saw that in the portenzo thread.. my portenzo order still doesnt show it shipped.. hopefully it will today.. my wife's treeglow is shipping today or tomorrow.. and of course whenever mail runs i should have my pad & quill.. will post pics later today and possibly a video review

EDIT: yes mail just dropped it off.. i like the box it comes in.. full review and pics/video coming tonight when i get off work :)

right off the bat i love the story included and it feels so light.. it wont add much weight to the ipad 2..

SINphul
Apr 7, 2011, 11:15 AM
Found another brief review:

http://blog.ocliw.com/2011/04/03/pad-and-quill-the-octavo-for-ipad-2/

Good.Shepherd
Apr 7, 2011, 11:42 AM

There are a few reasons that appeal to people:

1. As a businessman, at times, "being flashy" is counter productive. A case like this can both protect it on a basic level as well as to make the product less flashy. The ability to appreciate understatement is something that arrives with maturity. Not that you can't put your iPad into a flashy case. Do what you want. But that is a strong reason behind these cases.

2. There is an element of security with a new device. You don't always want people to know what you have. This is different from just "not being flashy". It's about being more clandestine in general with new gadgets. Not always important or practical, but for some people in some contexts it's important.

3. The Treegloo product, which is similar to this, begins it's pricepoint at a bit less than most quality back skins. But you got a lot more features with this case (and the tradeoff is size).

For me, I'll use it for work and being out and about in coffee shops, etc. When I get home, I'll pop it out and put my smart cover back on. I also have a leather sleeve to put the ipad/smart cover in if I want to go that route. Between the three cases, pretty much all my bases are covered for all situations. It's a good feeling, and makes it versatile.

inf
Apr 7, 2011, 11:58 AM
Just put on order in for red inside version...now I wait :P

Pretty Hefty price..89.99dollars. Shipping to Finland was 30dollars :C

clovis112
Apr 7, 2011, 02:35 PM
Just put on order in for red inside version...now I wait :P

Pretty Hefty price..89.99dollars. Shipping to Finland was 30dollars :C

Ordered the red one as well.. With these photos, i can't wait! Lol

blueridge
Apr 7, 2011, 05:55 PM
Ok.. here is a bunch of pics.. video coming later tonight.. So far i like it alot.. being this is the first moleskine type case i ever owned.. but i like it.. the corners are not that bad.. they look good.. it feels light.. even with ipad in there.. i turned it over and shook it big time (i have it on video) and it didnt budge.. i dont think its going anywhere once you put it in there.. i took it out and it was snug in there.. put it back in with no problem.. i love the lil bookmark :) the blue is perfect color for me go figure :P anyways pics below.. will update when i get the video edited and uploaded..

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/th_011.jpg (http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/?action=view&current=011.jpg)
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/th_012.jpg (http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/?action=view&current=012.jpg)
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/th_022.jpg (http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/?action=view&current=022.jpg)
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/th_024.jpg (http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/?action=view&current=024.jpg)
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/th_025.jpg (http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/?action=view&current=025.jpg)
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/th_027.jpg (http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/?action=view&current=027.jpg)
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/th_033.jpg (http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/?action=view&current=033.jpg)
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/th_040.jpg (http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/?action=view&current=040.jpg)
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/th_052.jpg (http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/?action=view&current=052.jpg)
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/th_075.jpg (http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/?action=view&current=075.jpg)
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/th_086.jpg (http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/?action=view&current=086.jpg)
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/th_095.jpg (http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/?action=view&current=095.jpg)
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/th_096.jpg (http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/?action=view&current=096.jpg)
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/th_099.jpg (http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/blueridgeruckus/octavo/?action=view&current=099.jpg)

EDIT: made my images smaller and link to bigger images..

glen e
Apr 7, 2011, 06:13 PM
There are a few reasons that appeal to people:

1. As a businessman, at times, "being flashy" is counter productive. A case like this can both protect it on a basic level as well as to make the product less flashy. The ability to appreciate understatement is something that arrives with maturity. Not that you can't put your iPad into a flashy case. Do what you want. But that is a strong reason behind these cases.

2. There is an element of security with a new device. You don't always want people to know what you have. This is different from just "not being flashy". It's about being more clandestine in general with new gadgets. Not always important or practical, but for some people in some contexts it's important.

3. The Treegloo product, which is similar to this, begins it's pricepoint at a bit less than most quality back skins. But you got a lot more features with this case (and the tradeoff is size).

For me, I'll use it for work and being out and about in coffee shops, etc. When I get home, I'll pop it out and put my smart cover back on. I also have a leather sleeve to put the ipad/smart cover in if I want to go that route. Between the three cases, pretty much all my bases are covered for all situations. It's a good feeling, and makes it versatile.

Amen - extremely well said for the more mature biz guys here. I am splitting my cases into 3 situations I will be in:

1. Home and family outings- a back and a smartcover

2. "informal" business situations - as in seeing my accountant, meeting other people for lunch on personal projects, etc - for this I will go a bit flashy - a red treegloo

3. Full formal business - corporate sitations where flashy is not the best practice - A black/red Pad and Quill.

That really should cover it...and all for a lot less than the cost of good suit.

SINphul
Apr 7, 2011, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the pics Blueridge. I'm excited to see your comparison review to Portenzo. I ended up canceling my Portenzo and went with P&Q because of the superior customer service, but if there is a noticeable quality difference, I might bite the bullet and reorder.

I'm particularly curious about the P&Q rubber corner strips versus the Portenzo rubber stoppers...

blueridge
Apr 7, 2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the pics Blueridge. I'm excited to see your comparison review to Portenzo. I ended up canceling my Portenzo and went with P&Q because of the superior customer service, but if there is a noticeable quality difference, I might bite the bullet and reorder.

I'm particularly curious about the P&Q rubber corner strips versus the Portenzo rubber stoppers...

you are welcome.. i am editing video footage now.. should have it done b4 midnight.. gotta watch Big Bang Theory first :)

I have 2 portenzos coming and my wife has a treegloo coming.. so all 4 will be reviewed and then compared.. before i decide which i want to keep :)

blueridge
Apr 8, 2011, 12:15 PM
ok. finally finished editing and uploading to youtube.. here is my quick unboxing and review of the Octavo from Pad & Quill

Pad & Quill Octavo Case Unboxing and Review (http://youtu.be/RVePNkYFYbM)

jbc247
Apr 8, 2011, 12:16 PM
I really like the case, it looks very nice and seems sturdy.

I wish it were thinner though.

Daghost
Apr 8, 2011, 02:41 PM
Just pulled my Octavo from the mail. It's beautiful - form, craftmanship and shape are absolutely top notch. The only thing I'm seeing right now is a slight pulling of the paper backing on the non-IPad side just at the edge of the spine. It's slight but there.

Has anyone else experienced it?

unsungsong
Apr 8, 2011, 03:44 PM
I am very disappointed with the Octavo case, but more so with Pad and Quill themselves. I have contacted 3 different times about a problem I am having with the case, and they have yet to reply. The cover on mine is warped slightly so that even when closed, the magnet causes the iPad2 on/off sensor to activate and deactivate continuously. The magnet also interferes with gameplay when the case is opened all the way back, turning the iPad2 off in the middle of an Angry Bird's flight is frustrating. The company admits that this fault sometimes happens and even jokingly say on their website that they have included that feature at no extra charge. When you pay $60 for a case plus an additional $10 to ship it, quality control should be guaranteed. I am really disappointed because the case looks nice and is convenient to carry the iPad2, but as it is it is not practical to use the case when the iPad2 is in actual use. I have tried to contact them through their website and through email, but have not received a reply. I know I can return within 7 days, but I would have to pay shipping and where the defect is their fault, I should not have to pay. The case also makes the iPad2 weigh twice as much and its width also can get in the way of functions.:mad:

blueridge
Apr 8, 2011, 04:01 PM
I am very disappointed with the Octavo case, but more so with Pad and Quill themselves. I have contacted 3 different times about a problem I am having with the case, and they have yet to reply. The cover on mine is warped slightly so that even when closed, the magnet causes the iPad2 on/off sensor to activate and deactivate continuously. The magnet also interferes with gameplay when the case is opened all the way back, turning the iPad2 off in the middle of an Angry Bird's flight is frustrating. The company admits that this fault sometimes happens and even jokingly say on their website that they have included that feature at no extra charge. When you pay $60 for a case plus an additional $10 to ship it, quality control should be guaranteed. I am really disappointed because the case looks nice and is convenient to carry the iPad2, but as it is it is not practical to use the case when the iPad2 is in actual use. I have tried to contact them through their website and through email, but have not received a reply. I know I can return within 7 days, but I would have to pay shipping and where the defect is their fault, I should not have to pay. The case also makes the iPad2 weigh twice as much and its width also can get in the way of functions.:mad:

have you tried to contact them on their facebook page? i tested mine yesterday because some people were saying the sleep fuction was going on when folded over.. it did not do that on mine.. yet.. i did use it last night for 3 hours in my lap and holding it like a book with no screen issues.. hopefully they will contact you and help you take care of it.. check them out on fb.. let us know what they say..

about the weight.. that was a given.. anything added to the ipad 2 is going to make it more bulky and weigh more.. so not sure why you are upset about that.. thats the nature of these moleskine cases..

kettybear
Apr 8, 2011, 04:21 PM
Did anyone receive a 10% coupon and can pm it to me? I've contaced P&Q twice asking for a coupon and they haven't responded. =(

primary
Apr 9, 2011, 06:15 PM
just got my green octavo, seems like they stopped putting on their logo on the back of the case (or maybe mine is special stealth edition) ;)

kettybear
Apr 11, 2011, 11:49 AM
just got my green octavo, seems like they stopped putting on their logo on the back of the case (or maybe mine is special stealth edition) ;)

Probably got too busy..

clovis112
Apr 13, 2011, 12:58 PM
i finally received my octavo just a few minutes ago. funny thing is, i was expecting it tomorrow since the tracking number still shows its at MN. anyway, i ordered it thursday april 7th and its here today april 13th.

i ordered the red color with inside pocket. my first impression on this thing is that it is so light! the wood are smooth, and it is really professional looking. i have full body invisible shield on my ipad 2 and it fits perfectly!

here are some photos.. (sorry kinda dark, raining here in sf and the lighting in the room isn't helping much)
:)

glen e
Apr 13, 2011, 01:18 PM
very nice - I am getting one today - just like this - it's the only one offering internal pocket...

Spitfire411
Apr 13, 2011, 02:57 PM
One picture I'd like to see is the back when the book is opened flat. I saw a picture in the Treegloo/Portenzo thread like that and the Portenzo spine is very nice, where as the Treegloo spine has the leather wrinkled and not as nice.

Hopefully mine will be here today or tomorrow. I ordered it two weeks ago and have it coming to Calgary Canada, so anyone ordering int'l, just know it'll take some time.

clovis112
Apr 13, 2011, 03:13 PM
here you go!
its not perfectly flat but you get the idea.

Spitfire411
Apr 13, 2011, 03:37 PM
^^ Thanks! That looks good. I guess Treegloo contacted the person in the other thread and said that their case was defective and they should ship it back.
Wife told me mine is waiting for me at home!

glen e
Apr 13, 2011, 03:41 PM
^^ Thanks! That looks good. I guess Treegloo contacted the person in the other thread and said that their case was defective and he should ship it back.
Wife told me mine is waiting for me at home!

I have both octavo and treegloo and there is a diff in the material and the way they apply it. The treegloo cover is "loose" a bit and more pliable. The Octavo is hard and completely glued down for no movement.There are two ridges on the O that make it glue better.The TG feels better in your hand.

I also am going to investigate sealing the edge on the O so that is it smooth and semi - buffed like a fine piece of furniture, more like the face wood here. I have done it on other wood with varnish or epoxy but will report here.

clovis112
Apr 14, 2011, 06:49 AM
I have both octavo and treegloo and there is a diff in the material and the way they apply it. The treegloo cover is "loose" a bit and more pliable. The Octavo is hard and completely glued down for no movement.There are two ridges on the O that make it glue better.The TG feels better in your hand.

I also am going to investigate sealing the edge on the O so that is it smooth and semi - buffed like a fine piece of furniture, more like the face wood here. I have done it on other wood with varnish or epoxy but will report here.

i am thinking of getting a treegloo one (jeez accessories are addicting!) because of the customizations that they offer and i like how they stain the wood. do a side by side picture comparison of the treegloo and the pad & quill one.

glen e
Apr 14, 2011, 07:16 AM
. do a side by side picture comparison of the treegloo and the pad & quill one.

not even a please? - been done - do some research here...

stlowe
Apr 14, 2011, 09:11 AM
I have had my Pad and Quill Octavo for 2 weeks and at first my iPad 2 fit like a glove within the Octavo. Now, after 2 weeks, it is coming out of the case when only tilting it a little past vertical. I have replaced the bumpers like they advised and it has not corrected the problem. I love the case but the case is rendered useless if I constantly have to worry about my tablet falling out of the case. Anyone else encounter this problem? I have e-mailed Pad and Quill and have not heard anything back as yet.

Thanks in Advance

Jhutchings
Apr 14, 2011, 10:28 AM
I have had my Pad and Quill Octavo for 2 weeks and at first my iPad 2 fit like a glove within the Octavo. Now, after 2 weeks, it is coming out of the case when only tilting it a little past vertical. I have replaced the bumpers like they advised and it has not corrected the problem. I love the case but the case is rendered useless if I constantly have to worry about my tablet falling out of the case. Anyone else encounter this problem? I have e-mailed Pad and Quill and have not heard anything back as yet.

Thanks in Advance

I have had the same issues. I did contact them and they sent me another one. At first it was a very tight fit now after a week the left top side of the case is loose. The other 3 sides form a very tight fit. I really don't know what else to try. Maybe all of these cases just work this way.

stlowe
Apr 14, 2011, 10:48 AM
Below is their reply to me. I dont quite know what they mean but if it is warped wouldnt it be difficult to "bend it" back in place. I am confused over this whole issue.

"Place the case flat on the table and look to see if the wood has slightly warped a bit. If so, that is what has caused the ipad to not fit. The wood can be gently bent back into shape... it is a natural product, so it can do that.
Check it out, and let me know if that is the case
Thanks
Jill"

clovis112
Apr 14, 2011, 11:04 AM
[QUOTE=glen e;12390097]not even a please? - been done - do some research here...TE]

Sorry. I didnt mean to sound like too demanding. I meant it with a please built in :)

clovis112
Apr 14, 2011, 11:14 AM
I have had my Pad and Quill Octavo for 2 weeks and at first my iPad 2 fit like a glove within the Octavo. Now, after 2 weeks, it is coming out of tihe case when only tilting it a little past vertical. I have replaced the bumpers like they advised and it has not corrected the problem. I love the case but the case is rendered useless if I constantly have to worry about my tablet falling out of the case. Anyone else encounter this problem? I have e-mailed Pad and Quill and have not heard anything back as yet.

Thanks in Advance

I have had the same issues. I did contact them and they sent me another one. At first it was a very tight fit now after a week the left top side of the case is loose. The other 3 sides form a very tight fit. I really don't know what else to try. Maybe all of these cases just work this way.

Question for you guys,

Were you taking the ipad in and out the case before it became loose?

stlowe
Apr 14, 2011, 11:24 AM
Question for you guys,

I took it out a few times before it became loose but not excessively. It seemed to gradually have a looser fit each time I took it out until last night the Ipad actually fell out...lucky it did not break..

Jhutchings
Apr 14, 2011, 11:51 AM
Question for you guys,

Yes I would take mine out. Maybe once a day to unseat home at night. Funny thing on mine all the corners except the left top one are tight fitting

clovis112
Apr 14, 2011, 12:37 PM
I took it out a few times before it became loose but not excessively. It seemed to gradually have a looser fit each time I took it out until last night the Ipad actually fell out...lucky it did not break..

Wow.. I definitely love mine but now i'm kinda concerned..I have taken my ipad probably 3 times since i got the case yesterday and it feels as tight like when i first put my ipad in.

Yes I would take mine out. Maybe once a day to unseat home at night. Funny thing on mine all the corners except the left top one are tight fitting

Did you try to change the rubber side with the extra one they gave you?

blueridge
Apr 14, 2011, 12:54 PM
i've taken mine out a few times before i got my portenzo.. testing that one out now.. but i never had any problems with it loose.. weird..

clovis112
Apr 14, 2011, 01:03 PM
i've taken mine out a few times before i got my portenzo.. testing that one out now.. but i never had any problems with it loose.. weird..

Let us know pls. Getting a bit paranoid about my case... :p

stlowe
Apr 14, 2011, 01:33 PM
Let us know pls. Getting a bit paranoid about my case... :p

My top two corners have become very loose to the point that they wont even hold the I pad snug even when it is layed flat. I have tried using the bumper material as they suggested and it helped temporarily. I have asked for a new case or money back and awaiting reply from P and Q. Thus far, their customer service has been flawless. I cannot use my case for now
:(

Jhutchings
Apr 14, 2011, 05:08 PM
Yes I take out once a day when I use it home at night.

clovis112
Apr 15, 2011, 07:14 AM
My top two corners have become very loose to the point that they wont even hold the I pad snug even when it is layed flat. I have tried using the bumper material as they suggested and it helped temporarily. I have asked for a new case or money back and awaiting reply from P and Q. Thus far, their customer service has been flawless. I cannot use my case for now
:(

that is sad. well i hope you get a new case or a refund. how long ago did you purchase your case?

i'll give mine a test drive for a week and hopefully mine wouldn't suffer the same fate.. :( if it does, then i will have to return it..

glen e
Apr 15, 2011, 07:32 AM
Once again, before we have a "red scare" that all the cases are bad, I have used my octavo all this week every day with it going in in the morning for business and coming out at 6 pm for home use. Still fits as solid as the first time I inserted it. The design is sound, your mileage may vary.

stlowe
Apr 15, 2011, 08:48 AM
I heard back from Pad and Quill. They said that they have had a problem with some of the cases warping which causes them not to fit as well. I tried to work with mine a bit to no avail and thus am returning it for a new one. I will use the smart cover until a new case arrives. They assured me that they are trying their best to rectify this problem and are not sending any new cases out until early next week to make sure the cases are up to their standards before sending them out.

BTW, I only had my case for 2 weeks and the first week it fit perfectly and then gradually lost its snugness over that time. I never dropped it and I think it only left my house once so it was not a "wear and tear" isssue.

clovis112
Apr 15, 2011, 12:26 PM
I heard back from Pad and Quill. They said that they have had a problem with some of the cases warping which causes them not to fit as well. I tried to work with mine a bit to no avail and thus am returning it for a new one. I will use the smart cover until a new case arrives. They assured me that they are trying their best to rectify this problem and are not sending any new cases out until early next week to make sure the cases are up to their standards before sending them out.

BTW, I only had my case for 2 weeks and the first week it fit perfectly and then gradually lost its snugness over that time. I never dropped it and I think it only left my house once so it was not a "wear and tear" isssue.

Good to hear stlowe! I just love mine and i don't think i could use my ipad w/o it! :D at least they are fixing and are aware of the issue.

Jhutchings
Apr 15, 2011, 01:17 PM

I am on my second case. The first one got loose within a week. They sent me a second one, it was very tight for a week and a half, now the left top corner is very loose. At this point I hate to ask for another one.

stlowe
Apr 15, 2011, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=Jhutchings;12398469]I am on my second case. The first one got loose within a week. They sent me a second one, it was very tight for a week and a half, now the left top corner is very loose. At this point I hate to ask for another one.[/QUOTE

Brian from P and Q stated that this has been a problem in about 2% of the cases. I guess we were part of the lucky few. I am sure your case will be fine Clovis as we likely account for the 2%. Sounds like they are trying to fix this problem ASAP.

clovis112
Apr 15, 2011, 04:30 PM
[QUOTE=Jhutchings;12398469]I am on my second case. The first one got loose within a week. They sent me a second one, it was very tight for a week and a half, now the left top corner is very loose. At this point I hate to ask for another one.[/QUOTE

Brian from P and Q stated that this has been a problem in about 2% of the cases. I guess we were part of the lucky few. I am sure your case will be fine Clovis as we likely account for the 2%. Sounds like they are trying to fix this problem ASAP.

Thanks stlowe! :)

stlowe
Apr 17, 2011, 10:44 AM
No problem Clovis---sorry if I made you worry a little. I think I just had a bad case. They are sending me out a new one next week. How do you like your blue one? I see you posted pics. I had a red one before but I think I am going to get a blue one this time.

Take care!

benjayman2
Apr 17, 2011, 01:25 PM
That's good to hear they are on top of things and standing by their product.

clovis112
Apr 17, 2011, 04:21 PM
No problem Clovis---sorry if I made you worry a little. I think I just had a bad case. They are sending me out a new one next week. How do you like your blue one? I see you posted pics. I had a red one before but I think I am going to get a blue one this time.

Take care!

I got the red with the inside pocket. I was thinking about the blue one before but opted for the red. Kinda look more like a book with the red bookmark hanging down. :p

Good to know that your getting a new case!

stlowe
Apr 22, 2011, 10:19 PM
Just to follow-up. Pad and Quill sent me a new Octavo case after my first one did not fit properly and the fit is perfect. Kudos to a company that stands behind their products and addresses any problems quickly. This is what customer service is all about. Good work, Pad and Quill:)

comixster
Apr 22, 2011, 10:46 PM
also got mine last monday! Overall, I'm happy with this product. It stands in both portrait and lanscape modes.

I don't know if anyone experience the same thing but there seems to be some kind of play in the bind part and I'm having a hard time inserting a regular earphone through the case but aside from those, I'm quite happy with the case.

clovis112
Apr 23, 2011, 05:11 AM
Just to follow-up. Pad and Quill sent me a new Octavo case after my first one did not fit properly and the fit is perfect. Kudos to a company that stands behind their products and addresses any problems quickly. This is what customer service is all about. Good work, Pad and Quill:)

Good to hear stlowe! my case is still tight :eek: as when i got it.

also got mine last monday! Overall, I'm happy with this product. It stands in both portrait and lanscape modes.

I don't know if anyone experience the same thing but there seems to be some kind of play in the bind part and I'm having a hard time inserting a regular earphone through the case but aside from those, I'm quite happy with the case.

are you using an L shape headphones?

comixster
Apr 23, 2011, 12:11 PM
Good to hear stlowe! my case is still tight :eek: as when i got it.

are you using an L shape headphones?

No, just using the regular apple earphone.

Jasmynsway
May 24, 2011, 09:35 AM
I know this thread's been quiet a while, but I just got my octavo and I love it! I bought it and the cardinal case at the same time. The cardinal case pales in comparison. I'm very happy with this case. I hope that those of you who had issues have had them resolved.

glen e
May 24, 2011, 09:39 AM
As is, this company fulfills with the least drama and solid quality.. The TG can be had with more options and colors and the portenzo is well made but pretty basic too. Both have had fulfillment problems. P&Q just gets the order and ships it with no drama or followup needed. I respect this company and their case a lot.