PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the HDMI adapter - Help

adamkpl
Mar 30, 2011, 09:18 AM
Hi everyone, first time poster and couldn't adequately find the answers to my questions so hopefully you all can help out.

1. Is the HDMI adapter Pal/NTSC compatible? I don't see a toggle option anywhere on the iPad2.

2. Is the Apple adapter the same thing as the cheaper adapters commonly seen on ebay which ship form China? Or is the new apple one special for some reason?

Thanks in advance!

gigaguy
Mar 30, 2011, 10:07 AM
1- My ipad2 menu has a Video Out setting- either NTSC or PAL.
2- Since the iPad1 does not do true mirroring like the iPad 2 does thru the Apple HDMI adapter, my guess is it's a software setting in the iPad2. I would think just any ol' adapter ain't gonna work.

adamkpl
Mar 30, 2011, 10:12 AM
1- My ipad2 menu has a Video Out setting- either NTSC or PAL.
2- Since the iPad1 does not do true mirroring like the iPad 2 does thru the Apple HDMI adapter, my guess is it's a software setting in the iPad2. I would think just any ol' adapter ain't gonna work.

I just found that setting - thanks!

With regard to the adapter....So if you say its a software setting in the physical device why don't you think any ol' adapter will not work?

gigaguy
Mar 30, 2011, 11:22 AM
well from my history with apple devices, usually only their official cables/adapters work for specialized functions, but I could be wrong.
The official 'camera connection kit' from last year's iPad had limited function, you couldn't hook just anything to it, only Apples preset function, altho some people did find some workarounds.
I can't imagine what kind of adapter could replace Apples for the proprietary 30 pin output to HDMI. personally I'd love some other options. The Apple one is kind of ungainly and too big, and tends to want to come unplugged, esp with a big heavy HDMI cable hanging off it. It works great tho and iPad pages look prisitine (and better than on the iPad screen itself) when sent to a HDTV.
good luck with your finds.