PDA

View Full Version : stylus for Penultimate app?

glen e
Mar 30, 2011, 10:00 AM
on an ipad 2 - anyone got a link to one that works?

Heavyhitter504
Mar 30, 2011, 10:48 AM
on an ipad 2 - anyone got a link to one that works?

http://www.targus.com/us/productdetail.aspx?regionId=7&sku=AMM02US&PageName=Stylus&productCategoryId=42&bucketTypeId=0&searchedTerms=&navlevel1=shop&cp=&bannertxt=Stylus%20For%20Tablets

I use this one, it's heavier then their normal stylus. Works pretty well with penultimate (I keep a microfiber cloth to lay my wrist on along with wrist protection)

Xultar
Mar 30, 2011, 05:29 PM
Some guy posted that the Acase was good. I found it @ Amazon. I'm gonna get it because it is reasonably priced. Search for Acase in the form he said it was longer more pen like.

KylePowers
Mar 30, 2011, 07:06 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HNCRNO

Just got this yesterday. Longer than the Targus (which I first purchased). About the same length as any average pen/pencil. About the same weight (maybe slightly lighter by decimals of an ounce, can't really tell) as the Targus. Thinner tip compared to the Targus. Same texture as the Targus. Comes with a headphone jack dangly thingy, which is easily removable from the stylus. I like it better, but I had much success with the Targus, so I wouldn't not recommend it... I just like the Nataal better.

Plus, it's 55% off right now ($8.99!) and qualifies for free shipping if you're a Prime member.

Cheers,
KP

EDIT: Also, I'd totally recommend UPAD over Penultimate... maybe it depends on what you're using a notetaking app for, but I definitely prefer UPAD.

Xultar
Mar 30, 2011, 07:10 PM

Just got this yesterday. Longer than the Targus (which I first purchased). About the same length as any average pen/pencil. About the same weight (maybe slightly lighter by decimals of an ounce, can't really tell) as the Targus. Thinner tip compared to the Targus. Same texture as the Targus. Comes with a headphone jack dangly thingy, which is easily removable from the stylus. I like it better, but I had much success with the Targus, so I wouldn't not recommend it... I just like the Nataal better.

Plus, it's 55% off right now ($8.99!) and qualifies for free shipping if you're a Prime member.

Cheers,
KP

EDIT: Also, I'd totally recommend UPAD over Penultimate... maybe it depends on what you're using a notetaking app for, but I definitely prefer UPAD.

WOW! That one is the same as the acase but cheaper. ORDERING!!!!!!! LAWDY I love me some MacRumors!!!!!

glen e
Mar 30, 2011, 07:11 PM

Cheers,
KP

thx!

whiskeyred
Mar 30, 2011, 09:53 PM
Worthy of a look, similar to AluPen which I use and love.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/danprovost/the-cosmonaut-a-wide-grip-stylus-for-touch-screens

Mitch2742
Apr 1, 2011, 06:18 PM

Cheers,
KP

How is the Nataal for writing notes?

Steviejobz
Apr 1, 2011, 07:51 PM

Cheers,
KP

Awesome find...I just ordered it. Prime member FTW

KylePowers
Apr 1, 2011, 08:09 PM
How is the Nataal for writing notes?

I like it. Ever since I got my iPad 2 and a stylus (first the Targus and now the Nataal), I've been using it for taking notes, doing problem sets (like differential equations), and random sketches/doodles.

I've included 3 pictures. The first is a picture of notes I took using UPAD's "magnifying input mode" feature. The second is just a sketch. The third is a diff-eq problem done without the use of the "magnifying input mode".

After using the Nataal for awhile, I've noticed the tip is a little on the squishy side, but I still prefer the whole package over the Targus. Once you get used to using a stylus (and there really isn't much of a learning curve), you start kicking yourself in the butt for all the money you spent on pen/pencils/erasers/paper/notebooks over the years xP

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
KP

Steviejobz
Apr 1, 2011, 08:13 PM
Wow, you are bad a$$ with those sketches

Mitch2742
Apr 1, 2011, 08:36 PM
I like it. Ever since I got my iPad 2 and a stylus (first the Targus and now the Nataal), I've been using it for taking notes, doing problem sets (like differential equations), and random sketches/doodles.

I've included 3 pictures. The first is a picture of notes I took using UPAD's "magnifying input mode" feature. The second is just a sketch. The third is a diff-eq problem done without the use of the "magnifying input mode".

After using the Nataal for awhile, I've noticed the tip is a little on the squishy side, but I still prefer the whole package over the Targus. Once you get used to using a stylus (and there really isn't much of a learning curve), you start kicking yourself in the butt for all the money you spent on pen/pencils/erasers/paper/notebooks over the years xP

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
KP

Wow, thanks. Looks good; I may have to place an order for the Nataal stylus soon.

reputationZed
Apr 1, 2011, 09:14 PM

Cheers,

KP

Thanks for the link. This looks a lot like the Acase 2nd gen stylus I picked up on Amazon a few weeks ago. I picked up a box wave at the same time but prefer the Acase because it's longer and the tip is finer (relatively speaking). The price on the Natal is pretty good. I'll probably order a few just to have around.

FMLFMLFML
Apr 1, 2011, 10:11 PM
so u like upad over penultimate?

Skidadle
Apr 2, 2011, 02:23 PM
Is there an app that reads the notes and converts to type?

comixster
Apr 2, 2011, 03:13 PM
Upad and noteshelf are way better than penultimate based from my experience...penultimate just happened to be one of the first apps available that's why it's popular

FMLFMLFML
Apr 2, 2011, 03:22 PM

that would be awesome. please tell me there's an app for that

FMLFMLFML
Apr 2, 2011, 03:23 PM
Upad and noteshelf are way better than penultimate based from my experience...penultimate just happened to be one of the first apps available that's why it's popular

Downloading now. Your post cost me $5 ;)

Xultar
Apr 2, 2011, 04:31 PM
so u like upad over penultimate?

And what about noteshelf?

I'm trying upad right now with my 8.99 2day delivered nataal. It is just like the boxwave/targus but longer. Nothing special except the price...which I love.

glen e
Apr 2, 2011, 04:51 PM
I still don't get how to use the ipad for the results above - I need to rest my side of my palm against glass which negates the pen - what am I doing wrong? - how do you do what is above?

reputationZed
Apr 2, 2011, 05:00 PM

Writepad does a pretty good job.

shootingrubber
Apr 2, 2011, 06:14 PM
I still don't get how to use the ipad for the results above - I need to rest my side of my palm against glass which negates the pen - what am I doing wrong? - how do you do what is above?

Yeah, let us know how you take your notes with the iPad. I am interested in knowing as well.

Silent Assassin
Apr 2, 2011, 07:05 PM

Cheers,
KP

Good find.. Just ordered

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

KylePowers
Apr 2, 2011, 07:33 PM

Yeah, let us know how you take your notes with the iPad. I am interested in knowing as well.

Hey everyone,

Well, in regards to UPAD, it's pretty simple. UPAD comes with a user-guide in its PDF section, but I'll try to explain here.

1st Method (1st Picture): "Magnifying Input Mode"
So basically, you tap the little white squiggly icon in the bottom right (located on the translucent dark gray tab) and it pulls up to reveal a large area to write in, which in turn is simply a zoomed view. This allows you to write largely and naturally, then UPAD shrinks it and makes it look normal and neat. I guess that was a confusing explanation, but once you try it or read through the manual, it's as easy as pie. The translucent red area in the zoomed-in-view is pretty cool... once a stroke of yours hits it, it'll move the writing area to the right, so you can continue writing naturally and fluidly - it's fairly intuitive.

2nd Method (2nd Picture): Without using "Magnifying Input Mode"
So, this is probably where most people get confused. They try to rest their wrist on the screen, but it starts negating the stylus. Well, what you have to do (in UPAD at least), is simply drag up the dark gray translucent tab. The trick is, you can't write anywhere that's covered by the gray translucent area, so that's where you rest your wrist - its UPAD's wrist-protection implementation. It works fairly well and I use it when I'm doing math, sketching, or other things that may not need to be as neat as simple note taking.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
KP

whiskeyred
Apr 2, 2011, 07:38 PM
I really like Note Taker HD as well. It magnifies like upad as well. I think between upad, noteshelf and note taker hd all three appear to be very strong. I have no used upad or noteshelf yet, curious to see what the main differences are between these three apps.

KylePowers
Apr 2, 2011, 07:45 PM
I really like Note Taker HD as well. It magnifies like upad as well. I think between upad, noteshelf and note taker hd all three appear to be very strong. I have no used upad or noteshelf yet, curious to see what the main differences are between these three apps.

I tried using Note Taker HD for awhile, but I didn't like it as much as I liked UPAD (which I only had the trial for at the time). While I do think Note Taker HD is slightly more powerful (though that's arguable), I felt that UPAD's user interface was light years ahead. Note Taker HD's GUI just isn't up to par with its functionality... And that killed it for me. I do however believe there are a good amount of areas UPAD could improve in, but that's probably a discussion for a different time lol

M-5
Apr 2, 2011, 08:06 PM
I just ordered the Nataal stylus from the Amazon link that was posted in this thread. It should arrive on Tuesday, and I'm pretty excited. I was thinking of purchasing Penultimate, but I'll probably hold off on it because some of you seem to prefer other note taking apps instead.

I downloaded UPAD Lite, and I really like how the zoom feature is implemented. It seems neat so far, but I'll have to wait until the stylus arrives to see how it works with that. The only thing that I don't like are the look of the pages. I know that it comes with a few different backgrounds, but I don't really like how they look. From looking at the screenshots, Penultimate's paper background looks much nicer.

I might end up getting Noteshelf though. From the screenshots, the pages, bookshelf, and just the interface look really nice.

KylePowers
Apr 2, 2011, 08:18 PM
I downloaded UPAD Lite, and I really like how the zoom feature is implemented. It seems neat so far, but I'll have to wait until the stylus arrives to see how it works with that. The only thing that I don't like are the look of the pages. I know that it comes with a few different backgrounds, but I don't really like how they look. From looking at the screenshots, Penultimate's paper background looks much nicer.

I might end up getting Noteshelf though. From the screenshots, the pages, bookshelf, and just the interface look really nice.

One thing I like about UPAD is not just the good amount of different backgrounds (and the fact you can implement your own custom backgrounds), but is the ability to turn on and off the notepad/graph-paper lines, of which there are 3 different sizes to choose from for each. Pretty neat.

And yes, I will continue to push UPAD because i want to justify the $5 I spent, knowing other people will do the same and that I didn't make a mistake xP

robertk328
Apr 3, 2011, 07:16 AM

and it's 1.99

reputationZed
Apr 3, 2011, 09:09 AM
Hey everyone,

Well, in regards to UPAD, it's pretty simple. UPAD comes with a user-guide in its PDF section, but I'll try to explain here.

1st Method (1st Picture): "Magnifying Input Mode"
So basically, you tap the little white squiggly icon in the bottom right (located on the translucent dark gray tab) and it pulls up to reveal a large area to write in, which in turn is simply a zoomed view. This allows you to write largely and naturally, then UPAD shrinks it and makes it look normal and neat. I guess that was a confusing explanation, but once you try it or read through the manual, it's as easy as pie. The translucent red area in the zoomed-in-view is pretty cool... once a stroke of yours hits it, it'll move the writing area to the right, so you can continue writing naturally and fluidly - it's fairly intuitive.

2nd Method (2nd Picture): Without using "Magnifying Input Mode"
So, this is probably where most people get confused. They try to rest their wrist on the screen, but it starts negating the stylus. Well, what you have to do (in UPAD at least), is simply drag up the dark gray translucent tab. The trick is, you can't write anywhere that's covered by the gray translucent area, so that's where you rest your wrist - its UPAD's wrist-protection implementation. It works fairly well and I use it when I'm doing math, sketching, or other things that may not need to be as neat as simple note taking.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
KP

Thanks for the mini tutorial. You cleared up a few issues I was having with UPAD.

whiskeyred
Apr 3, 2011, 01:54 PM
I am gonna test drive upad lite, I'd like to settle on one of these apps. For me, Penultimate is a no go, Note Taker HD (the only other one I have) blows PU away. I would love to have upad/noteshelf as well but at $5 a pop, just can't justify it. I just want the best interface/experience I dont care where it comes from.

whiskeyred
Apr 3, 2011, 01:58 PM
Okay that didn't take long, wow. Hands down just in the light version Upad writes the best. Damn, great recognition, the best I;ve seen Noteshelf notwithstanding. I just got an update for Note Taker HD but I am very impressed with upad, and I ma just on the lite.

I m using the AluPen which is my fav stylus so far. Just tried the boxwave, and I just dont write as well with it. Nataal will be in a few days so we shall see.

Again, my main need was solid writing recognition and Upad has just got my attention, looks like my normal writing.

reputationZed
Apr 3, 2011, 02:02 PM
I am gonna test drive upad lite, I'd like to settle on one of these apps. For me, Penultimate is a no go, Note Taker HD (the only other one I have) blows PU away. I would love to have upad/noteshelf as well but at $5 a pop, just can't justify it. I just want the best interface/experience I dont care where it comes from.

You may want to hold off a few days until eNote makes it through the app store review process. The developer has posted on MR and the app looks interesting http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1127783

whiskeyred
Apr 3, 2011, 02:06 PM
To put Upad over the top, the weekly and monthly planner is GREAT to have!

eNote has it's work cut out for it, doing side by side comparisons and Upad clearly is far and ahead with writing recognition. So nice to have.

M-5
Apr 3, 2011, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I'm really liking the lite version of UPAD. I think I'm going to end up purchasing this one.

Does anyone here have experience with the Noteshelf app though? I'm still waiting to make my decision, but I will go with UPAD because they actually have a lite version to try out. I already want my stylus to arrive! I have to wait two more days though.

Like I said in my earlier post, I didn't really care for the paper backgrounds that were included in UPAD and liked the one in the Penultimate screenshots better. But UPAD allows you to upload your own photos and set them as a background, so I found this image of Penultimate's paper, and I really like how it looks. Here it is in case any of you want to use it:

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5016/penultimagepage2.png

The page isn't ruled, but the cool thing is that you can always add various grids over the page in the UPAD app.

whiskeyred
Apr 3, 2011, 04:53 PM
after scrolling through all the papers bg's upad had to offer I am very impressed especially with the Storyboard layout allowing to thumbnail sketch and make notes, that's wicked.

reputationZed
Apr 3, 2011, 05:28 PM
Does anyone here have experience with the Noteshelf app though?
I have both but have not used either enough to declare a winner. I'd say if your happy with UPad light you will be happy with UPad.

sparkomatic
Apr 3, 2011, 07:24 PM

Very nice find! Just ordered too! Thanks!

Oh, and UPAD is great!

AnthonySmith
Apr 3, 2011, 07:51 PM
Are there any responsive differences between the UPad and Penultimate?

Also, are they as responsive with a screen protector?

mctheriot
Apr 3, 2011, 09:08 PM
Note shelf was my top pick until UPad. It's a close second - but still second now!

Mark

whiskeyred
Apr 3, 2011, 10:24 PM
Are there any responsive differences between the UPad and Penultimate?

Also, are they as responsive with a screen protector?

I think PU is quite behind all other mentioned note apps, just my two cents. As somoeone said earlier it was one of the first apps thus always popular.

benjayman2
Apr 3, 2011, 10:47 PM
I would give this a try if it didn't have a foam tip. I'm a sucker for laser pointing abilities lol.

http://www.amazon.com/Touch-Stylus-iPhone-Capacitive-Screens/dp/B003W5VCIE/ref=sr_1_34?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1301888701&sr=1-34

primary
Apr 3, 2011, 10:47 PM
I'm debating between alupen and acase/boxwave.

I want one that has a good weight (alupen), good grip (alupen), best responsiveness with best detection angles (??) and best durability.

I've heard that the boxwave style styli have better tip durability and better detection, is this true?
Specifically, I've seen reviews of the alupen saying that the tip wears down after a week or so of heavy use, and becomes more "sticky".

thanks for your help

schmoopy.design
Apr 3, 2011, 11:16 PM

Cheers,
KP

Thanks for the link. Just ordered myself the silver one.

Cheers.