Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Our small office has a Mac Mini running SL server for a low hit website, a handful of mail accounts (IMAP) and file server. It was set up using the guidelines at Lynda.com (if anyone is familiar).

The machine is serving us well with the exception being its handling of junk mail.

The first issue is that junk mail with just an image or an image with small amounts of text doesn't get blocked. We do have junk mail and not junk mail accounts set up where junk mail that gets through is redirected manually from local machines back to the server but we haven't noticed the server learning what is junk. Is there a way to fix this?

The second issue is that the server doesn't seem to block any junk mail when mail is checked on a mobile device like an iPhone.

For example:

incoming junk mail --> server --> local machine. About 60% of the junk mail is redirected to the local machines junk mail folder but image spam gets through to inbox.

incoming junk mail --> server --> mobile device. All junk mail ends up in the inbox of mobile device.

Any ideas to correct this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Saar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
I haven't looked into add ons yet. I figured I'd come here first and see what the general consensus was.

I'll go read up on SpamSieve.

Thanks!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Looks like it might not be server side, but you can do this if you don't want to pay for server side filtering (some services are pricy):

If not too many email accounts, you can manually set up mail client on your sever with SpamSieve running IMAP, so email are filtered through it first.

Saar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Yeah, as I was reading through the documentation I realized it was client side and I think I'd rather go server side.

I guess I'll wait and see what changes may come about in 10.7 then go from there.

Thanks.

pismobrat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2007
I have an option that just might work for you.

I finished implimenting this for a client, but it required a little more work. But the filtering and other features are fantastic and the client is extremely happy.

We purchased a SonicWALL TZ100 Router to become their new gateway. Subscribed to the Antispam service (about 300USD for three years and unlimited mailboxes)

Because this solution is windows platform based - specifically the windows front end web - which I will explain in a moment. We installed a Windows XP VM via parallels on the OSX Server to host the Apache/SPAM Server software

The filtering is done by Sonicwall through their servers. ALL inbound email is scanned and filters/stored/delivered to the particular user. LDAP configuration allow specific staff to only logon into their own spam box and choose to unjunk the given email.

Staff are emailed once a day, but can check their spam box anytime during the day by a URL that is included in their email.

Additionaly, it promotes the email server as a Non-Relay server, so spam is further reduced. Install was very easy, pointed the Antispam service to the internal Server IP hosting the email and all was good.

If you are interested in more details please pm me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.