Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

183222-lion_dev_preview_2_500.jpg

Apple today pushed out a new developer preview version of Mac OS X Lion, offering an updated build of the company's next-generation operating system for testing purposes. The new version is Build 11A419.

Changes included in the update are currently unknown. We've also heard that Apple pushed out a minor update via Software Update to developers testing the initial Lion build, an update that will allow them to download updates through the Mac App Store.

It was reported a few days ago that Apple is already nearing the release of "golden master candidate" versions to developers, despite a distinct lack of polish and even basic functionality in the initial version issued late last month. Consequently, developers will be looking closely at the new build for signs of progress.

Apple has stated that Mac OS X Lion will be released to the public this summer, and the operating system is of course expected to be one of the major topics of discussion at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference scheduled for June 6th-10th.

Article Link: Apple Releases Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 2

Last edited by a moderator:
I

iFanboy

Dear Apple

PLEASE can we have a UI update, even if it's a minor one (for instance, iTunes 10 scrollbars rather than the blue aqua ones). Just some extra polish really.

Signed

iFanboy

MCIowaRulz

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Lion is ready to Roar (almost)

Getting it with the NEW iMac 2011!
Going to FINALLY replace my 867 Mhz PowerMac G4 running 10.4.11

natharvey

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I agree, I just want dome minor UI changes. nothing too major. can't wait for Lion!

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Please bring a huge UI overhaul. Lets see something new.

New UI & Grand features is what is to be expected with this update.

We already know that the aqua look is gone. The ios scrollbar shown on Lion is an example of the aqua leaving for good.

I can see lots of the applications such as Safari, Contacts, Calender, mail, ect is going to get a new look.

Very exciting to know that it's coming out this summer!

Xero910

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
Anyone know exactly how we update? Are we supposed to reinstall the entire OS? or go through the upgrade installation? I seriously hope not. Installing seed updates via software update was perfect.

superfula

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2002
So I guess that Gold Master rumor was wrong.

Not at all. I doubt Apple has ever released the newest build of any OS X version to the public. Just because this beta build may not look like they are nearing GM doesn't mean they don't have something close in-house.

I

iFanboy

Please bring a huge UI overhaul. Lets see something new.

New UI & Grand features is what is to be expected with this update.

We already know that the aqua look is gone. The ios scrollbar shown on Lion is an example of the aqua leaving for good.

I can see lots of the applications such as Safari, Contacts, Calender, mail, ect is going to get a new look.

Very exciting to know that it's coming out this summer!

I honestly think you'll be disappointed.

There doesn't seem to be any inkling of a UI overhaul for Lion, although some spit polish like scrollbar updates are certainly possible.

Same with iOS5. I'm expecting EVOLUTIONARY rather than revolutionary.

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
I really hope they deploy some form of full screen iTunes in this build. Would be nice to see.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Unsurprising.

At least 95% of rumors posted here and other Apple-related forums end up being wrong.

MacRumors is keeping up with this obvious error. I doubt Lion will be ready even by the WWDC. A summer release is what I predict.

Hildron101010

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
Dear Apple

PLEASE can we have a UI update, even if it's a minor one (for instance, iTunes 10 scrollbars rather than the blue aqua ones). Just some extra polish really.

Signed

iFanboy

They already redid the ENTIRE interface. It looks really awesome. I've used it in the first DP build. It doesn't need to be changed anymore.

wschutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Dear Apple

Signed

iFanboy

Enjoy your brand new 129$ Mac OS X latest revision (the most advanced, the most unique, the most... bla bla bla bla...) carrying more than XXX features (aka... just making the Mac OS X experience more iOS-alike so you get used to AppStore since soon you'll have to go through this method of delivery as there won't be any other one, because Mr. Jobs wants more money...)
Yep... I think that 129$ sounds quite ok, for nothing :D

Though I'm not surprise... there's nothing shocking that they can implement. This "update" is aimed at training people into AppStore (aka money)... and they even charge for it :D

Hildron101010

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
Wwdc

MacRumors is keeping up with this obvious error. I doubt Lion will be ready even by the WWDC. A summer release is what I predict.

It's not supposed to be ready by WWDC. Snow Leopard wasn't, it only was for a demo video.

wschutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007

Thanks Captain Obvious... I think that is what Apple said at the very beginning ;)

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
I really hope they deploy some form of full screen iTunes in this build. Would be nice to see.

Only if a re-write is done on it first. Carbon-to-Cocoa conversions on all of Apples' apps should be of a higher priority.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Thanks Captain Obvious... I think that is what Apple said at the very beginning ;)

great minds think a like :p

Apple said it would be released in the Summer, but the GM usually comes 3-4 weeks before hand. I know it is splitting hairs with this, as I was referring to the GM.

However, considering that it could be released via App Store first, there could be a much shorter delay from GM to its release date now.

asdf542

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Enjoy your brand new 129$ Mac OS X latest revision (the most advanced, the most unique, the most... bla bla bla bla...) carrying more than XXX features (aka... just making the Mac OS X experience more iOS-alike so you get used to AppStore since soon you'll have to go through this method of delivery as there won't be any other one, because Mr. Jobs wants more money...)
Yep... I think that 129$ sounds quite ok, for nothing :D

Though I'm not surprise... there's nothing shocking that they can implement. This "update" is aimed at training people into AppStore (aka money)... and they even charge for it :D

I lol'd. No matter what people will complain. When Snow Leopard was released people wanted more UI changes and more features. Now when Lion is released all people want is under the hood improvements. SMH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.