Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sieeegel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Hey all

I just noticed this. For the last year, si has been advertising their ipad app in their mag in every issue. Then about a month ago, they changed the ads to show how they work on andriod phones, android tablets, and ur pc. They advertise it as "if you already have a print subscription, you get the issues on those devices for free.". I noticed that the ipad and iphone are not part of the deal. We still have to pay per issue thru the ipad app. Does si have an exclusive deal with android now? Is si planning a similar deal thru their ipad app?

Thanks

mprofit

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
Atlanta
Sports Illustrated (Time Inc., really) has been in a constant battle with Apple over their subscription policy since the SI App came out. I remember hearing that they may have reached a deal that would allow SI subscribers to download issues at no extra charge, but obviously that hasn't happened.

My guess is that Time Inc. got tired of dealing with Apple's subscription policy, which got more controversial recently, and has instead chosen to align more with Android, who likely give them a more favorable treatment. I don't think it's an exclusive deal though.

You can still download individual issues in the app, but it's an outrageous price that as a subscriber I would never pay. Hopefully Time and Apple can work out a deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.