Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canhoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Since there are some companies beginning not to support PPC on their most recent software releases (like Mozilla with Firefox 4), or never have supported other than Intel (like Google); since I'm sure (like many of us) that PPC macs, with the correct upgrades, can work as modern desktop computers for main purposes, and that Apple is quitting PPC just to press people to upgrade to brand new hardware, I suggest that we make a list of best of software running, with updated versions, on PPC, or from companies intending to keep Universal or PPC support, on several categories. Preferably, open source or free software, but also proprietary when there's nothing better.

I begin with a suggestion:

For multimedia playing, VLC Player

Hallivand

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Sydney, Australia
An optimised TenFourFox is a must :D

iWork '09 is still PPC native, not sure about the status of OpenOffice and Co. though.

Bean word processor is actually very capable, and still Universal Binary.

iLife '09 >

Messenger 7.0.4 (In my opinion better than the new 8, looks atrocious)

aMSN as an alternative, very good.

Surprisingly Google Earth is Universal Binary too :cool:

For games, my personal favourites, Return to Castle Wolfenstien, Battlefield 1942 and Command & Conquer Generals :)

Generally, one to two versions behind the most up to date propriety software (i.e Office, Final Cut Studio, iLife, Logic Pro) are PowerPC native or Universal Binary.

Though software is rapidly drying up :(

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
You know you can have Vuze instead of Transmission? (Just a suggestion)

Haha yes. I hate Vuse/Azureus. I have everything I have because it's what I prefer for it's purpose. In 18 years as a Mac user you tend to find favs.

Joshuarocks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Somewhere in Cyberspace
I will just make it easy and show a screen cap of my apps folder as I would obviously recommend what I use.

picture2ix.jpg

Hi, just in case the mods erase this thread, can you email me a .jpg of all the apps you have, so I can find out what most of them do? I certainly would like to get as many good and useful apps as I can for my PM G5 Quad and PB G4 1.67.

Thanks Zen,

Josh

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
Mactubes is a must for watching youtube videos. As someone already posted, you'll want TenFourFox. Fluid for making "Applications" out of websites and AppCleaner as it deletes all files associated to an application when you want to uninstall it. Adium, Skitch, OnyX, and Transmission are all i can think of at the moment.

Joshuarocks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Somewhere in Cyberspace
Mactubes is a must for watching youtube videos. As someone already posted, you'll want TenFourFox. Fluid for making "Applications" out of websites and AppCleaner as it deletes all files associated to an application when you want to uninstall it. Adium, Skitch, OnyX, and Transmission are all i can think of at the moment.

Do we have any developers or programmers i this forum? We can all try to keep the PPC alive by developing our own programs.. this is an idea, or possibly an OS thats even more powerful than Mac OS X.

While I love my mac pro to death, my 1st love is to my PowerPC macs and I will do everything in my power to keep them alive for a while longer.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
Do we have any developers or programmers i this forum? We can all try to keep the PPC alive by developing our own programs.. this is an idea, or possibly an OS thats even more powerful than Mac OS X.

While I love my mac pro to death, my 1st love is to my PowerPC macs and I will do everything in my power to keep them alive for a while longer.

I completely agree. What made a Mac a Mac was it's unique hardware. Now it's just as generic as any other computer. Performance may have boosted when they shifted Architectures, but just look at the Power6, it could beat any Intel on the Market. If only they stayed with them. These PPC Macs are still solid performers, and you can't just throw them away. I had my G3 iMac 266 as a Server for a while, running sharepoints in OS X Jaguar with only 96 MB of Ram and it did it's job well.

As far as development goes, I'm just waiting for the day someone ports a Net Book os like Joli OS to the PPC Architecture. It would make these machines so much more usable. Joli OS would be perfect for my iMac G3.

Last edited:

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
An optimised TenFourFox is a must :D

iWork '09 is still PPC native, not sure about the status of OpenOffice and Co. though.

Bean word processor is actually very capable, and still Universal Binary.

iLife '09 >

Messenger 7.0.4 (In my opinion better than the new 8, looks atrocious)

aMSN as an alternative, very good.

Surprisingly Google Earth is Universal Binary too :cool:

For games, my personal favourites, Return to Castle Wolfenstien, Battlefield 1942 and Command & Conquer Generals :)

Generally, one to two versions behind the most up to date propriety software (i.e Office, Final Cut Studio, iLife, Logic Pro) are PowerPC native or Universal Binary.

Though software is rapidly drying up :(

YOu can try Libreoffice, it is the "new" openoffice, and it has ppc versions

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Hi, just in case the mods erase this thread, can you email me a .jpg of all the apps you have, so I can find out what most of them do? I certainly would like to get as many good and useful apps as I can for my PM G5 Quad and PB G4 1.67.

Thanks Zen,

Josh

You have a jpeg of all my apps right in the very message you quoted. I'm confused..

Flip2gig

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
Florida
For your G4 PowerBook I recommend;

ATIccelerator
G4 Fan Control

Good Apps in general;

Adium
Apimac Timer
AppZapper
Audacity
Aurora
CleanArchiver
Coconut Battery
Cyberduck
EasyCrop
FacebookSync
FFView
Flip4Mac
Free Ruler
Geometry X
Genesis Plus
Google Earth
Google SketchUp
HandBrake
Jumpcut
KisMAC
MacTheRipper
Microsoft Office 2004
Monolingual
Nestopia
OnyX
Paintbrush
Perian
Phoenix Slides
RemotePad
Senuti
Shades
Snes9x
SuperDuper!
The Unarchiver
TinyAlarm
Toast
Transmission
VLC
xPad

Last edited:

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
@ Zenstate:

why do you have two versions of EyeTV? I have 2.5.3 installed, did you stay with Vers. 2 by reason or just not try Vers. 3?

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
@ Zenstate:

why do you have two versions of EyeTV? I have 2.5.3 installed, did you stay with Vers. 2 by reason or just not try Vers. 3?

It's 2.5.3 and 3.02. I prefer 2.5.3 for playback and recording as it uses less CPU. For editing though 3 is far better so I have it around just for editing. I would say the editor in 3 is 100% better than 2.

cyberghoser1

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009
Athens, Hellas
is there any memory app that will help in memory management automatically? I saw something like turbomem, but i'm not sure if it will help at all.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
is there any memory app that will help in memory management automatically? I saw something like turbomem, but i'm not sure if it will help at all.

OS X already has great memory management. The problem you have is you only have 640MB. You should really upgrade to the max. of 1.12GB.

The best memory management is to keep multitasking to a minimum. I wouldn't run more than 3 apps at once with 640MB.

cyberghoser1

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009
Athens, Hellas
OS X already has great memory management. The problem you have is you only have 640MB. You should really upgrade to the max. of 1.12GB.

The best memory management is to keep multitasking to a minimum. I wouldn't run more than 3 apps at once with 640MB.

Yeah you're right i already ordered 1GB PC2700 sodimm stick to max the ram out, i hope to see some little improvement.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Yeah you're right i already ordered 1GB PC2700 sodimm stick to max the ram out, i hope to see some little improvement.

Compared to 640MB I promise you will see an improvement.

BTW.. how did the Leo install go? What does the graphics info say?

cyberghoser1

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009
Athens, Hellas
Compared to 640MB I promise you will see an improvement.

BTW.. how did the Leo install go? What does the graphics info say?

Well i took the advice to wait and install max memory then i will install it, i'm sure it will display software and not hardware accelerated, that's for sure!

mark-mcd

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2009
MS Office v.X runs really well on an older G3 with OSX - feels just as fast (if not quicker) than 2008 on my Intel and looks minimalistic and modern! There is very little info on it as it's quite rare I believe but worth finding a copy.

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
I use camino in my iBook (see signature) with leopard and the Internet couldn't be better:D
I would have to agree. I really like Camino and have used it for years. The G5 optimized version is great on my Quad. I even block flash animations and only turn them on when I really need to.

I hope they keep supporting PPC.;)

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
I would also have to add one of my favorite programs for the Mac.... Cheetah 3D. The current version is robust and the fact that it built specifically for Mac is great. Oh yeah, and it works very well on the PPC side. Also, the price has been reduced from $149 to $99 so if you have the money and would like a really well crafted 3D modeling and animation package that looks as good as it runs, pick it up.

I know there are other modeling programs that are free like Wings 3D and Blender, but I would definitely recommend trying Cheetah 3D for yourself and deciding whether it is worth your hard earned cash.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom

As a developer, I can say that a new OS is just about out-of-the-question, because Open-Firmware is incredibly buggy in Macs, and persuading an OS to boot off it is a real pain. Taking parts of a currently-working Linux distribution and keeping it up to date however is possible.

As far as applications go, unless the apps are open-source, youd have to develop from scratch, and so many new technologies simply don't exist on the PowerPC platform, that keeping PowerPC up-to-date is a struggle. I think Browsers is about the only area where PowerPC Development will continue for the forseeable, the other areas are where it will all fall down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.