PDA

View Full Version : New in Developer Preview 2

Pages : [1] 2

Tmelon
Mar 30, 2011, 08:27 PM
So I was thinking that we might as well compile a list of changes in the newest build. To start things off:

1. Macbook Pro 2011 support
2. New iCal look

Maclver
Mar 30, 2011, 08:35 PM
Launchpad is now fixed.. Click and hold to move multiple apps (shakes like iPhone)

When launching expose dock doesn't crash any more...

Much snappier in performance

Has anyone noticed when shutting down the menu bar up top stays into the blue screen?

Tmelon
Mar 30, 2011, 08:39 PM
Launchpad is now fixed.. Click and hold to move multiple apps (shakes like iPhone)

When launching expose dock doesn't crash any more...

Much snappier in performance

Has anyone noticed when shutting down the menu bar up top stays into the blue screen?
Also has anyone noticed that spot light doesn't show apps anymore?

So does the Launchpad have an easy way to remove icons yet?

ErikGrim
Mar 30, 2011, 08:54 PM
Is there a DMG or is the App Store / Redemption Code the only way to update? What about offline computers?

Tmelon
Mar 30, 2011, 08:55 PM
Is there a DMG or is the App Store / Redemption Code the only way to update? What about offline computers?

Redemption code seems to be the only way. For some reason I can't get mine to work.

rorschach
Mar 30, 2011, 09:04 PM
-Preview has a loupe tool like Aperture does.

-Spotlight menu has options to "Search Web" and "Search Wikipedia"

-"Send Do Not Track HTTP Header" option in Safari

-Font Book has a "Find fonts anywhere on this computer" option

MistaBungle
Mar 30, 2011, 09:11 PM
Full screens apps now have a transition-drop down menubar rather than one that covers up the top of the application now.

MarkMS
Mar 30, 2011, 09:17 PM
Don't know about you guys, but this new iCal is killing me. Just doesn't look right. :confused:

PBF
Mar 30, 2011, 09:18 PM
Full screens apps now have a transition-drop down menubar rather than one that covers up the top of the application now.
Care to upload a screenshot? (only and only if you feel comfortable)

P.S. Are we allowed to ask questions in this thread?

MistaBungle
Mar 30, 2011, 09:23 PM
It moves down the same way that the buttons operate, they are now sliders (like in System Preferences Expose > Spaces).

rorschach
Mar 30, 2011, 09:26 PM
Care to upload a screenshot? (only and only if you feel comfortable)

P.S. Are we allowed to ask questions in this thread?

http://i.imgur.com/ct17x.png

Before, the menubar would slide down and cover the toolbar.

PBF
Mar 30, 2011, 09:30 PM
Ah, I see. Thanks, guys.

By the way, when re-arranging Launchpad, creating folders, deleting, moving icons around, etc., does the order stay the same after restart? In DP1, it resets to default layout. Ta.

hellomoto4
Mar 30, 2011, 09:43 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ct17x.png

Before, the menubar would slide down and cover the toolbar.

Wahoo. Thank god they fixed this, I thought the DP1 behaviour was horrible (and very un-Apple-like)

Downloading DP2 now. Will post any significant changes as well.

PBF
Mar 30, 2011, 10:33 PM
Are you able to download System Voices in DP2?

hellomoto4
Mar 30, 2011, 11:30 PM
Urgh, new iCal really is horrible.

ErikGrim
Mar 30, 2011, 11:33 PM
Update isn't showing up in App Store for me. Any ideas? :(

admanimal
Mar 30, 2011, 11:37 PM
Update isn't showing up in App Store for me. Any ideas? :(

It's not an update, you have to get a new code and redeem it.

abhimat.gautam
Mar 31, 2011, 12:04 AM

Does the realistic texture show up only in full screen mode, or is it that way all the time? In a window, I think it might be distracting, but in full screen, I don't think I would mind it.

ErikGrim
Mar 31, 2011, 12:12 AM
It's not an update, you have to get a new code and redeem it.

Can you only get one code per dev account? What if I want to install on multiple computers?

admanimal
Mar 31, 2011, 12:16 AM
Can you only get one code per dev account? What if I want to install on multiple computers?

The thing that downloads from the App Store is the installer. Once you have it on one computer, you just copy it to another.

kepner
Mar 31, 2011, 01:30 AM
Are you able to download System Voices in DP2?

No, unfortunately.

djrod
Mar 31, 2011, 01:39 AM
Is frontrow back?

kepner
Mar 31, 2011, 02:13 AM
Launchpad is now an app in the Applications folder, and can be removed from the Dock.

Is frontrow back?

No, and they removed the mention of it from the Sound prefpane. ("Play Front Row sound effects")

ssn637
Mar 31, 2011, 02:41 AM
Can we perform a clean installation with DP2 or do we have to first install DP1? I just deleted the original Lion installation image from my backup drive, thinking I could restore the DP2 image to an external drive and boot from there. But it looks more like this requires Lion DP1. How do I download DP1 again from the AppStore if I need it? :(

Lukeit
Mar 31, 2011, 02:43 AM
Regarding the launchpad... I can't remove applications anymore...
When I click "option" the icons get to "shake" but there is not X sign to click to delete the app... they just wiggle and can't be deleted.
Any of you the same?

Also very difficult to move them around...

In my experience launchpad was working better on preview 1!

Ideas?

WeegieMac
Mar 31, 2011, 02:47 AM
Do Folders in Launchpad open/close smoothly now?

The animation was very juddery in the first build, like it skipped animation frames.

dago
Mar 31, 2011, 02:59 AM
Apple has never mentioned the new "Scene Kit" before:

Introduced in Mac OS X v10.7, the Scene Kit framework enables your application to import, manipulate, and render three-dimensional assets. It supports 3D assets imported via COLLADA, an XML-based schema that facilitates the transport of 3D assets between applications. Architecturally, a scene is composed of the 3D entities of cameras, lights, and meshes. Scene Kit lets you access attributes of scene objects—for example, geometry, bounding volume, and material—and is consistent with the APIs of other graphical frameworks, such as Core Animation and Image Kit.

Scene Kit is intended for developers who quickly need to integrate 3D rendering into their applications. It doesn’t require that you have advanced graphical programming skills.

abhimat.gautam
Mar 31, 2011, 03:00 AM
Apple has never mentioned before the new "Scene Kit":

Introduced in Mac OS X v10.7, the Scene Kit framework enables your application to import, manipulate, and render three-dimensional assets. It supports 3D assets imported via COLLADA, an XML-based schema that facilitates the transport of 3D assets between applications. Architecturally, a scene is composed of the 3D entities of cameras, lights, and meshes. Scene Kit lets you access attributes of scene objects—for example, geometry, bounding volume, and material—and is consistent with the APIs of other graphical frameworks, such as Core Animation and Image Kit.

Scene Kit is intended for developers who quickly need to integrate 3D rendering into their applications. It doesn’t require that you have advanced graphical programming skills.

Nice, didn’t know about that.

Lukeit
Mar 31, 2011, 03:08 AM
Talking about new "features": have you noticed the Fuji wallpaper is different?
The new one has clouds at the base...

innominato5090
Mar 31, 2011, 04:27 AM

can you upload that, please :)

baddj
Mar 31, 2011, 06:37 AM

Can you post a screenshot?

KirkL
Mar 31, 2011, 06:40 AM

http://d2omthbq56rzfx.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Screen-Shot-2011-03-30-at-9.31.06-PM-670x462.png

hellomoto4
Mar 31, 2011, 06:45 AM
Does the realistic texture show up only in full screen mode, or is it that way all the time? In a window, I think it might be distracting, but in full screen, I don't think I would mind it.

It shows up in both full screen and non-full screen. Totally agree though, it definitely looks better and less distracting in full screen.

Non-full screen: http://grab.by/9LUu
Full screen: http://grab.by/9LUv

Chundles
Mar 31, 2011, 06:56 AM
1. iCal is pug fugly.

2. After 10.4,5,6 and now 7 the Dashboard widgets still don't stay put.

3. Still buggy. For example - I just had to restart Safari to type in this field.

It does feel very slick though, app launch times, the smoothness of the animations and scrolling all make the machine feel MUCH faster than it does in Snow Leopard.

I'm yet to try any of this with a regular mouse but damn we're going to be selling a lot of Magic Trackpads.

mrblack927
Mar 31, 2011, 07:06 AM
I haven't noticed too many aesthetic differences (besides iCal of course) but it does feel overall smoother than DP1 to me. You can tell Apple is working hard to get this ready for prime time.

baryon
Mar 31, 2011, 07:19 AM

Oh my GOD why Apple why?? This is horrid!

Tyler23
Mar 31, 2011, 07:47 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that really likes the look of the new ical

Raska
Mar 31, 2011, 08:03 AM
3. Still buggy. For example - I just had to restart Safari to type in this field.

It does feel very slick though, app launch times, the smoothness of the animations and scrolling all make the machine feel MUCH faster than it does in Snow Leopard.

I've had that problem in both developer previews as well. At first I didn't mind it, but the more it happens the more annoying it gets.

I actually like it too.

aeaglex07
Mar 31, 2011, 08:11 AM
:eek: yeah that new iCal is hideous. i know its still just a dev preview but if that is any indicator of the rest of the UI i wont be upgrading. LOL

roadbloc
Mar 31, 2011, 08:33 AM
iCal looks awful. I hope this is temporary or an April fools joke.

mrblack927
Mar 31, 2011, 08:35 AM
About iCal....

I don't know... I kinda like it. I guess I don't really care either way. I mean really, what's the big difference? Just the leather-like pattern at the top? It's the same as address book (in Lion). They're designing them to match their iPad counterparts.

Lukeit
Mar 31, 2011, 08:39 AM
Set desktop picture doesn't work any longer... anyone with the same issue has a way to fix it?

BTW: iCal is horrible... what on earth is going on in Apple's mind?

NATO
Mar 31, 2011, 08:46 AM
I won't get a chance to get this installed for a few days but one of the things I noticed about the new version of Safari was that if you dragged a picture from Safari onto your desktop or a folder that it would create a link rather than downloading the picture to that folder. Can anyone with DP2 confirm this is still the case?

jeznav
Mar 31, 2011, 08:49 AM
Apple has never mentioned the new "Scene Kit" before:

Where are you seeing this? I can't find this on the reference documents.

Seryph
Mar 31, 2011, 09:44 AM

I'd like to see this too! The old one was pretty bland at the bottom so if this is true I'm glad they changed it.

Cougarcat
Mar 31, 2011, 10:02 AM

I like it. Much better than Address Book's UI, which I don't care for.

Zoddino
Mar 31, 2011, 10:03 AM
I'd like to see this too! The old one was pretty bland at the bottom so if this is true I'm glad they changed it.

it's true, it's changed!

here it is to download it!

http://cl.ly/3I371o1z0w003t371d0l

Xero910
Mar 31, 2011, 10:11 AM
Regarding the launchpad... I can't remove applications anymore...
When I click "option" the icons get to "shake" but there is not X sign to click to delete the app... they just wiggle and can't be deleted.
Any of you the same?

Also very difficult to move them around...

In my experience launchpad was working better on preview 1!

Ideas?
Yea it's a little buggy right now. You can delete apps the same as as before with some added frustration.

1. Press and hold, CMD+OPT+CTRL (so they all wiggle)
2. Next press and hold one app until they stop wiggling.
3. Now click the apps you want once to delete them.
4. Make sure you hold those 3 keys throughout all steps.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is adding apps manually. When I drag them to the LaunchPad icon, nothing happens.

Salacion
Mar 31, 2011, 10:17 AM
Can someone post screenshots of iCal. Thanks.

Weaselboy
Mar 31, 2011, 10:18 AM
Can someone post screenshots of iCal. Thanks.

There is one in post #33 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12297742&postcount=33) of this thread.

Salacion
Mar 31, 2011, 10:29 AM
There is one in post #33 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12297742&postcount=33) of this thread.

I skimmed over it and can't believe I missed it. Thanks.

I don't know, I don't think it's too bad. I wanted a change in both iCal and the Address Book, so I'm not complaining. I prefer the one in the previous build however.

Leslie.Hon
Mar 31, 2011, 10:54 AM
I hate the new iCal design... :(

Lukeit
Mar 31, 2011, 10:58 AM
I won't get a chance to get this installed for a few days but one of the things I noticed about the new version of Safari was that if you dragged a picture from Safari onto your desktop or a folder that it would create a link rather than downloading the picture to that folder. Can anyone with DP2 confirm this is still the case?

Nope... that has been fixed !!!1 Now it works properly and you get to drag a picture!

Lukeit
Mar 31, 2011, 11:01 AM
Yea it's a little buggy right now. You can delete apps the same as as before with some added frustration.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is adding apps manually. When I drag them to the LaunchPad icon, nothing happens.

Thanks SO much... you made my day!

Fishrrman
Mar 31, 2011, 11:21 AM
Questions:

Is "developer preview 2" the same upgrade that shows up with Software Update (using the developer preview 1)?

That was only about 2mb in size -- downloaded and installed in a matter of a few minutes.

After installation, it shows up as "build 11A390".

Is this the actual "dp2", or does the whole thing have to be downloaded and re-installed?

antmarobel
Mar 31, 2011, 11:25 AM
Look at this:

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad185/pegasusbsb27/ScreenShot2011-03-31at131303.png

Sometimes when I open any Finder window it does not show the Side Bar...Anyone having the same "experience"?...Any solution?;)

Seryph
Mar 31, 2011, 11:30 AM
Look at this:

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad185/pegasusbsb27/ScreenShot2011-03-31at131303.png

Sometimes when I open any Finder window it does not show the Side Bar...Anyone having the same "experience"?...Any solution?;)

Sadly can't help (sorry) but is there any way you could post the background image of mt fuji on its own? Its lovely :)

Zoddino
Mar 31, 2011, 11:48 AM
Sadly can't help (sorry) but is there any way you could post the background image of mt fuji on its own? Its lovely :)

http://cl.ly/3I371o1z0w003t371d0l

it's here, i posted it a few posts before ;)

antmarobel
Mar 31, 2011, 11:49 AM
Ok folks!!! Now try to manage your favorites in "Favorites Bar"!!! Try to change their places and see what happen!!! Pure madness!!!:D:D

baryon
Mar 31, 2011, 11:57 AM
Ok folks!!! Now try to manage your favorites in "Favorites Bar"!!! Try to change their places and see what happen!!! Pure madness!!!:D:D

I'm not a developer, what happens?

antmarobel
Mar 31, 2011, 12:07 PM
They rearrange themselves at their own will! If I drag one to the right of the other, for instance, another one, completely different, comes to the place where I intended to place the first one...:eek:

Akme
Mar 31, 2011, 12:23 PM
Anyone else having their menu bar go black regularly? Have to switch into Launchpad (or similar) to get it back to normal. It's often accompanied by the fan spinning up, so I'm assuming it's some sort of issue related to graphics switching/drivers.

rmbrown09
Mar 31, 2011, 12:30 PM
Can anyone comment on under the hood performance improvements? CPU and RAM usage at idle?

Preview 1 raped my Air

Blakeasd
Mar 31, 2011, 12:37 PM
THe graphite color in appearance is now available and when you press the mute button the speaker window has a line over it like IOS.

clientsiman
Mar 31, 2011, 12:56 PM
iCal looks really awful. I hope to change it again int he next developer preview.

Xero910
Mar 31, 2011, 12:59 PM
Questions:

Is "developer preview 2" the same upgrade that shows up with Software Update (using the developer preview 1)?

That was only about 2mb in size -- downloaded and installed in a matter of a few minutes.

After installation, it shows up as "build 11A390".

Is this the actual "dp2", or does the whole thing have to be downloaded and re-installed?
I'm guessing the software update was to patch the bug that prevented so many of us from downloading Lion in the first place. You need to go to the developer website, request a new redeem code and download it again from the App Store. Then you need to reinstall the whole thing again. As inconvenient as this is, there is likely a purpose. I highly doubt Apple would ditch Software Update for this, considering the install process is 3-4x longer.

ssn637
Mar 31, 2011, 01:07 PM
Can we perform a clean installation with DP2 or do we have to first install DP1? I just deleted the original Lion installation image from my backup drive, thinking I could restore the DP2 image to an external drive and boot from there. But it looks more like this requires Lion DP1. How do I download DP1 again from the AppStore if I need it? :(

OK, finally got it to work. First tried converting the .app installation file to a .dmg and then restoring that to a flash drive, but Disk Utility couldn't scan the file. Then I ran the program, and upon restarting copied the installation image located in the temporary partition to a USB flash drive, which is now bootable.

I'd recommend a clean installation rather than updating 10.6.7 since this poses less problems with program compatibility. For example, Cool Book didn't work after the update but works fine following a clean installation of Lion.

baddj
Mar 31, 2011, 04:48 PM
It shows up in both full screen and non-full screen. Totally agree though, it definitely looks better and less distracting in full screen.

Umm i hope the hell you can change it back? if not well ill no longer be using ical ill find something else.

Tmelon
Mar 31, 2011, 04:53 PM
Umm i hope the hell you can change it back? if not well ill no longer be using ical ill find something else.

The color really means that much to you?

Nishi100
Mar 31, 2011, 04:57 PM
Is address book the same; and can you post a screenshot, anyway?

baddj
Mar 31, 2011, 04:58 PM
The color really means that much to you?

The top of it just does not look like it was meant to be a desktop app. makes me think of all the windows software you get how they over do the look of it.

Tmelon
Mar 31, 2011, 05:02 PM
The top of it just does not look like it was meant to be a desktop app. makes me think of all the windows software you get how they over do the look of it.

I wonder if they'll give an option to change it. Or they could possibly scrap the new look completely if all of the developers give negative feedback. It personally doesn't bother me, but I do think they could have made it look at least a bit better.

jeznav
Mar 31, 2011, 05:07 PM
Can anyone comment on under the hood performance improvements? CPU and RAM usage at idle?

Preview 1 raped my Air

I get 5% CPU usage on idle and 880MB ram usage on fresh boot.

Raska
Mar 31, 2011, 06:01 PM
A few things I've noticed in playing around with Dev 2:

You can now switch between blue and graphite in the 'Appearance' setting of the Appearance pref pane.

Full-screen Safari now hides all tabs and the bookmarks bar unless you move the cursor to the top of the screen.

Mail now auto-hides account and RSS information and just displays the inbox and message view.

Instead of the Menu bar sliding over top and away when moving to/from full-screen app to desktop, the full-screen app stretches itself in sync with the menu bar.

If I notice anything else I'll post it up.

ErikGrim
Mar 31, 2011, 07:15 PM
Is Safari still buggy as feck? Can you drag images out and not have them be .weblocs? Is google maps working properly without tile distortions/not loading?

Raska
Mar 31, 2011, 07:26 PM
Is Safari still buggy as feck? Can you drag images out and not have them be .weblocs? Is google maps working properly without tile distortions/not loading?

Google Maps looks fine, so do dragging images. There is something strange I noticed trying to refresh a page. The best is to just post the pictures to show the bug.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5367/safaribug1.png
The first is the popover that slide into view when I tried to refresh the page.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/1071/safaribug2.png
The second is the address bar glitching once the popover is dismissed.

gburnham
Mar 31, 2011, 07:48 PM
Safari in fullscreen ignores the cmd+L hotkey for jumping to the address bar. That is a pretty huge bug for me... Pretty much removes my ability to use Safari fullscreen. I'm sure they'll catch that quick.

Also, I don't see an option to always show tabs while in fullscreen mode. They hide unless you mouseover the address bar, which makes tab management in fullscreen a little bit inconvenient. A setting for that would be nice to see added before release!

Finder also seems to occasionally not respond to mouse clicks when it is in the background. I have to activate it from the dock icon before it will respond. That has only happened once or twice though.

That said, everything seems much smoother (not sure about faster, but definitely smoother) and the bugs I have seen have been relatively minor. This should be a pretty awesome OS if I can train myself to use some of the new features/gestures.

Lukeit
Mar 31, 2011, 08:49 PM
Just a quick question: how to make a full, clean installation of Lion preview 2 starting from the app downloaded from Appstore?
Do you have to restore it as dmg on a external drive to boot from or is there any other way?

Thanks guys!

Lukeit
Mar 31, 2011, 08:56 PM
Contestual menu to "Dictionary" has been restored and is working nicely with a beautiful smooth animation... try double clicking on a word and then right click to bring up the contextual menu and then "look up in dictionary"...
I'm glad it's working again

Too bad the "Set desktop picture" isn't working instead... it was in previous build, but ain't in this... anyone has a fix for it?

ajvizzgamer101
Mar 31, 2011, 09:24 PM
I heard iChat got a new UI. Can someone take screenshots?

Tmelon
Mar 31, 2011, 09:43 PM

All of your contacts are apparently in one window. It was in the first build, but now it's enabled by default apparently. I'll know for sure when my copy finishes downloading.

mrblack927
Mar 31, 2011, 09:50 PM

Not really a new UI, just more unified now. Only one buddy list for all your accounts.

axu539
Mar 31, 2011, 10:21 PM
Google Maps looks fine, so do dragging images. There is something strange I noticed trying to refresh a page. The best is to just post the pictures to show the bug.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5367/safaribug1.png
The first is the popover that slide into view when I tried to refresh the page.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/1071/safaribug2.png
The second is the address bar glitching once the popover is dismissed.

It seems that once the address bar starts glitching, spaces starts acting up too.

skottichan
Mar 31, 2011, 11:12 PM
It seems that once the address bar starts glitching, spaces starts acting up too.1. The volume icon in the upper right finally displays the proper volume again.

2. The Wifi icon was stuck on displaying the time since last reboot if you were connected to a router of Apple manufacture.

3. Safari doesn't seem as RAM-heavy but the split processes (Safari vs. Safari Web Content) allows the latter to be killed if it consumes too much RAM to reset that to zero.

hellomoto4
Apr 1, 2011, 12:32 AM
New mute image: http://cl.ly/5gHn

skottichan
Apr 1, 2011, 01:02 AM
CoreAudio still seems bugged to hell. 15" 2010 MBP with an i7 and 8GB of RAM, and I get skips on store-bought (so theoretically perfect) AACs when tabbing between simple apps like TextEdit and Mail and such. I mean, if I was in Aperture with a 40GB library open or something it'd be excusable... this? Not so much.

smugDrew
Apr 1, 2011, 01:36 AM
I assume Safari 5.1 is in this refresh of Lion Preview?

Is it faster? How is memory the resource usage? :cool:

skottichan
Apr 1, 2011, 02:00 AM
I assume Safari 5.1 is in this refresh of Lion Preview?

Is it faster? How is memory the resource usage? :cool:I retract my previous statement; the current build seems just as bad as the last and that's on the aforementioned 8GB toting i7 MBP. Even with Flash disabled and harmful scripts blocked, it's a hog capable of eating a combined 3GB or more on its own; the split processes in Activity Monitor just make it look nicer.

Unrelated: does anyone else have a problem keeping their Google Calendars synced in iCal? I hop in and it shows me the local calendars, but I end up having to go into settings and manually recheck my Delegates to get the server-side calendars to trickle back down.

PBF
Apr 1, 2011, 03:29 AM
Guess why they are the only two removable apps?

http://cl.ly/5gbA/img.png

PBF
Apr 1, 2011, 03:34 AM
New: Launch Time Machine and watch how the core of the galaxy disperses tiny dust particles. Looks totally awesome and freakishly realistic. :D

poobear
Apr 1, 2011, 04:57 AM
I love the fact that I can google search from spotlight, but is there any keyboard shortcut to choose the google search when you are in the dropdownmenu? Is it possible to set a shortcut for that? Or even move the google/wikipedia search to the top in the dropdownmenu?

smugDrew
Apr 1, 2011, 05:39 AM
I retract my previous statement; the current build seems just as bad as the last and that's on the aforementioned 8GB toting i7 MBP. Even with Flash disabled and harmful scripts blocked, it's a hog capable of eating a combined 3GB or more on its own; the split processes in Activity Monitor just make it look nicer.

Unrelated: does anyone else have a problem keeping their Google Calendars synced in iCal? I hop in and it shows me the local calendars, but I end up having to go into settings and manually recheck my Delegates to get the server-side calendars to trickle back down.

OK but I don't care how much memory Safari 5.1 uses, that's why I load up my MBP with RAM.

So does Safari feel fast? Is it stable? :eek:

Raska
Apr 1, 2011, 07:19 AM
New: Launch Time Machine and watch how the core of the galaxy disperses tiny dust particles. Looks totally awesome and freakishly realistic. :D

Wow that looks real awesome.

dogzipp
Apr 1, 2011, 08:19 AM
Somehow I am unable to grab any screen shots. They all end up "blank" (or black in this case). Has anybody had any problems? I suppose not, since I see everyone posting screen shots everywhere...

I tried changing the format from PNG to JPG with no effect. Tried other screen grab utilities also with no luck (Guess they use the system calls).

Any ideas? (and please don't say post a screen shots of my problem, hehe)

Thanks

kLy
Apr 1, 2011, 08:37 AM
Two *major* bugs:

1) TextEdit crashes on launch (tried trashing the prefs file - nothing)
2) cmd+left/right no longer goes to the start/end of the line :O wtf!

Anyone else experiencing these?

mrblack927
Apr 1, 2011, 08:41 AM
The new "year view" shows a heat map of events, ie. the more red it is the busier your day. ;)

mrapplegate
Apr 1, 2011, 08:42 AM
Two *major* bugs:

TextEdit launches fine for me.
cmd+left/right moves the cursor to the front or the end of the line.
Sorry, but looks like bug report time.

mrapplegate
Apr 1, 2011, 08:43 AM
The new "year view" shows a heat map of events, ie. the more red it is the busier your day. ;)
I like that :D

poobear
Apr 1, 2011, 08:46 AM
Somehow I am unable to grab any screen shots. They all end up "blank" (or black in this case). Has anybody had any problems? I suppose not, since I see everyone posting screen shots everywhere...

I tried changing the format from PNG to JPG with no effect. Tried other screen grab utilities also with no luck (Guess they use the system calls).

Any ideas? (and please don't say post a screen shots of my problem, hehe)

Thanks

Thats known, was in the official known issues.

Known Issues –

* If running Developer Preview 1, please make sure to install “Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview Update 1″ from Software Update (available under the Apple menu) prior to downloading Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 2. If you do not perform this update, your download will not begin when you redeem the code and the code will no longer function.
* The Recovery HD may not be created when installing Lion on a drive with an unsupported partition scheme.
* Installation of Mac OS X Lion onto a software RAID volume, or while booted from a software RAID volume, is not currently supported. Attempting to do so may render the volume non-bootable. Software RAIDs can still be used as data volumes.
* Network migrations are only supported from Mac OS X v10.6.6 with the Migration Assistant compatibility update installed.
* If you intend to migrate a user with FileVault enabled from another system, make sure the user is logged out on the source system before you begin.
* Thunderbolt devices are not fully supported. – Videos purchased from the iTunes Store will not play on Early 2011 MacBook Pro models.
* Screenshots may be black on Macs with integrated graphics.
* If you get a warning that ‘FaceTime does not support video calls’ when using FaceTime, please quit and re-open the application.
* iPhoto 9 crashes when trying to create a book, card, or calendar from an event or album, and when clicking a photo’s info button.
* Users with NTFS volumes (such as BootCamp) may experience a panic when rebooting or shutting down. To work around the issue, unmount the volume before rebooting or shutting down.

Known Issues with Lion Server

* An Open Directory Master is no longer created by default during Setup Assistant. It can be created after setup in the Server application or in Server Admin.
* Safari is currently the only supported browser for use with Wiki Server or Profile Manager.
* Use of local or caching Software Update servers may cause installation problems for Lion Server.
* Profile Manager does not currently allow for pushed configuration profiles to be locked, including the profile containing the MDM payload.
* All users must have an email address when using shared calendars with iCal Server.
* New sharepoints will not inherit group permissions. You must manually change the permissions.
* To remotely administer Lion Server from a client, download the Lion Server application from the Mac App Store. After download, select “Connect to Server…” from the Manage menu. Only click “Continue” on the “Welcome to Server” window if you wish to install server services on the machine you are running the Server application from.
* Installing the Server Admin Tools package on non-Lion systems is not supported.
* Podcast Producer Server is not supported in this release of Lion.
* NetBoot/NetRestore from install source is not supported in this release.
* Booting into a NetRestore is not supported in this release.

Two *major* bugs:

None of that happens for me.

Raska
Apr 1, 2011, 09:41 AM
Two *major* bugs:

I haven't experienced either of those issues in either dev preview.

roadbloc
Apr 1, 2011, 10:13 AM
Guess why they are the only two removable apps?

http://cl.ly/5gbA/img.png

Were them two apps downloaded via the Mac App Store by any chance?

PBF
Apr 1, 2011, 10:22 AM
Bingo! Now how do I remove the others? :confused:

gspannu
Apr 1, 2011, 10:39 AM

Already posted (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12299127&postcount=55) by another author.

---------------------------------------------------------

mrapplegate
Apr 1, 2011, 10:41 AM

Did you try Command-Option-Control-Click?
Oops, that does not work my bad. At least for me. Glad I don't use Launchpad.

celticpride678
Apr 1, 2011, 10:43 AM
Adding a printer has a new interface and you can now display a message on the screen if your screen is locked.

Nmx-
Apr 1, 2011, 11:07 AM
Has anyone else experienced that the temps has gone up with this release?

my macbook 5,1 2ghz core 2 duo seems to run well over 70 celcius all the time which means that my fans are going crazy, and i hate that high sound. its fine in idle mode, but as soon i start a program like Xcode or Netbeans or just browse the web.

its idling at 60-6x celcius.
and nothing is running at all only activity monitor.

this didn't happen in preview 1
or on my SL partition.

PurrBall
Apr 1, 2011, 11:19 AM
AirDrop shows up on my iMac9,1 now; it was missing in DP1.

Also.. heh. This icon jumped out of Launchpad and won't go back! 279250

PBF
Apr 1, 2011, 11:54 AM
Already posted (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12299127&postcount=55) by another author.

Wow, what a major PITA. Trying to delete folders is even worse than before with Launchpad crashing like crazy. But managed to do it anyway. Thanks for the tip. :D

Just out of curiosity, how do people even discover these things? Like having apps to wiggle first, then click and hold, then delete, etc. :confused:

celticpride678
Apr 1, 2011, 12:01 PM
Has anyone else experienced that the temps has gone up with this release?

my macbook 5,1 2ghz core 2 duo seems to run well over 70 celcius all the time which means that my fans are going crazy, and i hate that high sound. its fine in idle mode, but as soon i start a program like Xcode or Netbeans or just browse the web.

its idling at 60-6x celcius.
and nothing is running at all only activity monitor.

this didn't happen in preview 1
or on my SL partition.

It's likely that Spotlight is still indexing.

alfagta
Apr 1, 2011, 12:56 PM
Adding a printer has a new interface and you can now display a message on the screen if your screen is locked.

Screenshots please!

Nmx-
Apr 1, 2011, 12:56 PM
No, I made sure that it wasn't indexing before i checked.

Branskins
Apr 1, 2011, 12:58 PM
Wow this dev preview runs amazingly well! I cannot wait until Lion is released!

extenet
Apr 1, 2011, 12:58 PM
Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but System Profiler has been given a complete overhaul, including detailed-USB hdd details and a refined GUI

PurrBall
Apr 1, 2011, 01:03 PM
Pretty sure this is new. Not sure why they put it in Appearance preferences, though.

alfagta
Apr 1, 2011, 01:04 PM
Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but System Profiler has been given a complete overhaul, including detailed-USB hdd details and a refined GUI

About this Mac or System Profiler? Refreshed About this Mac was already present in DP1. Post some screenshots.

PurrBall
Apr 1, 2011, 01:06 PM
Screenshots please!

There's a menu when you click +, but other than that it looks the same to me.

extenet
Apr 1, 2011, 02:12 PM
About this Mac or System Profiler? Refreshed About this Mac was already present in DP1. Post some screenshots.

Whoops! You were right. I assumed that when you click on more info... from about this mac it took you to system profiler like in previous OS. Didn't notice this system information app in DP1, pretty sweet :)

WeegieMac
Apr 1, 2011, 02:21 PM
Folders animation when opening/closing is a little improved, but still looks like a bottom range PC trying to run Half Life 2 on full settings. :D

PurrBall
Apr 1, 2011, 03:06 PM
Anyone else unable to print?

antmarobel
Apr 1, 2011, 03:15 PM

You might consider yourself lucky. Mine have no "X" at all:mad:

Tmelon
Apr 1, 2011, 03:22 PM
You might consider yourself lucky. Mine have no "X" at all:mad:

Bingo. All of my Apps from the App Store have the X.

alfagta
Apr 1, 2011, 04:00 PM
Does Lion feel much faster and more stable? I mean it’s been like 5 or 6 weeks since DP1. They had plenty of time to eliminate bugs. I’m askin cause we don’t see too much new features expect redesigned iCal.

Tmelon
Apr 1, 2011, 04:04 PM
Does Lion feel much faster and more stable? I mean it’s been like 5 or 6 weeks since DP1. They had plenty of time to eliminate bugs. I’m askin cause we don’t see too much new features expect redesigned iCal.

Faster? Not so sure. More stable? Definitely. All of my main bugs have been fixed aside from the full screen apps on dual screens.

alfagta
Apr 1, 2011, 04:16 PM
Faster? Not so sure. More stable? Definitely. All of my main bugs have been fixed aside from the full screen apps on dual screens.

So I guess we won’t see any new features… Apple is busy polishing what we’ve got now…:/

Tmelon
Apr 1, 2011, 04:21 PM
So I guess we won’t see any new features… Apple is busy polishing what we’ve got now…:/

Basically. Now they just need to polish what they gave us. It's honestly a lot though. I wouldn't feel ripped off for them charging money for it.

Almost all of the Applications have been enhanced, autosave, Launchpad, Mission Control, Versions, resume, Multitouch gestures, full screen apps and the Mac App Store.

alfagta
Apr 1, 2011, 04:50 PM
Basically. Now they just need to polish what they gave us. It's honestly a lot though. I wouldn't feel ripped off for them charging money for it.

Almost all of the Applications have been enhanced, autosave, Launchpad, Mission Control, Versions, resume, Multitouch gestures, full screen apps and the Mac App Store.

You feel like it’s a new experience? So much better?

antmarobel
Apr 1, 2011, 05:46 PM
Last version of Little Snitch, which was working fine on Preview 1 is no longer working.

andrew.gw
Apr 1, 2011, 06:15 PM
http://cl.ly/2P0c0D1X0c242H3Q0633/Screen_Shot_2011-04-01_at_7.07.55_PM.pnghttp://cl.ly/1R0R1y2L281g0s411V0K/Screen_Shot_2011-04-01_at_7.17.29_PM.png
Mail now shows "No Message Selected", which is much nicer than the empty white area from the last version; "Mail Activity" looks nicer as well. I've also noticed that the "Noteworthy" font from iOS 4.3 is present in this version of Lion.

jake4ever
Apr 1, 2011, 09:22 PM
Look at this:

Having the same problem here. Dragging the bar out makes it white...

PBF
Apr 1, 2011, 09:28 PM
^ Yup, same here. A little bit annoying having to reopen the same window.

jake4ever
Apr 1, 2011, 09:29 PM
Google Chrome Beta and regular version allow me to use them for around a minute, and then crash. Anyone else having this problem, and how to fix?

I already submitted a bug report.

PBF
Apr 1, 2011, 09:33 PM
Google Chrome Beta and regular version allow me to use them for around a minute, and then crash. Anyone else having this problem, and how to fix?

I already submitted a bug report.
Use the dev version instead. A lot more stable than the beta one.

Kirkafur
Apr 1, 2011, 10:24 PM
Can anyone comment on scrolling for pre-multitouch trackpads?

Is there now an option to disable reverse scrolling for non-unibody notebooks?

celticpride678
Apr 1, 2011, 11:02 PM

Which is kind of ironic.

Google is likely going to be updating the dev build of Chrome to work with Lion has they have been doing over the past month, rather than the stable or beta builds.

Riemann Zeta
Apr 1, 2011, 11:49 PM
Thus far, stability-wise, it is not too bad for a beta. A lot of the UI rendering errors from beta 1 have been ironed out. My bet would be that this will be a $29 upgrade, as it doesn't add much but rather refines what 10.6 started.

celticpride678
Apr 1, 2011, 11:52 PM
Thus far, stability-wise, it is not too bad for a beta. A lot of the UI rendering errors from beta 1 have been ironed out. My bet would be that this will be a $29 upgrade, as it doesn't add much but rather refines what 10.6 started.

As far as I know, Snow Leopard "fixed" what Leopard started. Mac OS X Lion is a completely new OS with new features, most of which are not present in Snow Leopard.

jake4ever
Apr 2, 2011, 01:36 AM

Thank you very much.

WeegieMac
Apr 2, 2011, 02:39 AM
As far as I know, Snow Leopard "fixed" what Leopard started. Mac OS X Lion is a completely new OS with new features, most of which are not present in Snow Leopard.

See, I would have to disagree with that.

All of the framework, the underlaying core system changes, were done in Leopard and then refined in Snow Leopard.

All Lion is adding, from what I've seen, is interface changes and some new features that, lets be honest, not every user is going to bother with. Sure, Launchpad looks nice, even in it's frame rate lacking beta form, and Mission Control is a new take on Expose, but other than that it's iOS inspired UI changes, a new version of Safari, and some application interface changes (Mail & iCal come to mind).

I don't think Lion will be a £29/$29 upgrade, but I think given that it'll launch on the Mac App Store, it will follow the example of iLife and Aperture and be cheaper to purchase online than it is off the shelf in a box.

cocky jeremy
Apr 2, 2011, 03:20 AM
AirDrop wasn't on Preview 1 for me. (2008 iMac, C2D) and is now showing up on Preview 2. This wasn't specific folder older models, i don't think. It appeared to be random, as far as the machines it did and didn't show up on. So i'm not sure about others..

rorschach
Apr 2, 2011, 04:29 AM

Don't get your hopes up for that $29 upgrade. Lion has many more "major" features than SL did.

-Launchpad
-Full Screen apps
-Mission Control
-Auto Save
-Versions
-Resume
-AirDrop
-Full Disk Encryption

Plus there may be unannounced features that could be unveiled at WWDC or a media event before that. Stacks, Cover Flow, and Back To My Mac were announced well after Apple started seeding Leopard to devs.

Snow Leopard's "What's New" pages talks about text selection in PDFs and ejecting disks. :rolleyes:

I say it'll cost $99.

bushido
Apr 2, 2011, 05:11 AM
i guess lion doesn't like long german words yet ^^

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/1892/screenshot20110402at120.png

edit: isn't there a way to show the left hdd space at the bottom of the finder like on snow leopard? i hate clicking on info all the time to see how much space i got left

AdrianK
Apr 2, 2011, 05:34 AM
Anyone know if the 'phantom windows' bug is fixed (where minimised windows would appear while switching spaces)? for me it's the only thing that made DP1 unusable. Sorry if it's already been asked.

feare
Apr 2, 2011, 08:43 AM
It's definitely a lot smoother than the first preview was, especially in the animation department. Mission Control is no longer choppy for me, and while opening folders in launchpad is still choppy, it is much less so than in the first preview (I'm also on my Cinema Display right now, which seems to push my 2009 13" mbp).

In fact, animations on the whole seem to be smoother than in SL. When using my cinema display, opening large stacks tended to be a little choppy, but now they open smoothly.

And the default wallpaper is much improved.

PBF
Apr 2, 2011, 09:30 AM
edit: isn't there a way to show the left hdd space at the bottom of the finder like on snow leopard? i hate clicking on info all the time to see how much space i got left
command + forward slash ;)

Sky Blue
Apr 2, 2011, 09:32 AM

haha, no chance. Tons of new features here. I can see Apple charging less than $129 if they go the App Store route, but if boxed retail is released I'm sure it'll be $129.

funrush
Apr 2, 2011, 10:25 AM

bushido
Apr 2, 2011, 10:34 AM
command + forward slash ;)

THANK YOU!

---

safari got some fixes to it seems, scrolling works smoother and doesn't get stuck on pages with lots of pics or vids and the error with not being able to type anything unless u close safari seems to be fixed as well.

theBigD23
Apr 2, 2011, 12:35 PM
One item that bothers me is that Apple removed deleting crop from preview in SL and this continues in LIon. You can still crop a PDF but it won't delete the info, only hide it.

WeegieMac
Apr 2, 2011, 12:55 PM
THANK YOU!

---

safari got some fixes to it seems, scrolling works smoother and doesn't get stuck on pages with lots of pics or vids and the error with not being able to type anything unless u close safari seems to be fixed as well.

I find Safari 5.1 far better than Safari 5.0.4 on Snow Leopard.

Riemann Zeta
Apr 2, 2011, 01:32 PM
haha, no chance. Tons of new features here. I can see Apple charging less than $129 if they go the App Store route, but if boxed retail is released I'm sure it'll be $129.

Snow Leopard was a bigger upgrade than most people assumed--but only in an under-the-hood sense. The switch to a real 64bit system (with pure x64 kernel and extensions) was a big deal, albeit an invisible one. All the system core revisions, a 64bit finder and a $29 price made Snow Leopard a worthwhile update.

As for all these "tons" of new features that would make Lion worth $129: I just don't see it. Smaller window controls, iOS buttons and scrollbars and a few other iOS-derived tweaks and features just don't seem like that massive of an upgrade. Auto-saving, application 'resuming' and iOS-like state-suspention don't make a whole lot of sense for a desktop OS (perhaps if a machine is all SSD-based, with no physical discs, these features will allow Apple to eliminate swap/VM). So all-in-all, Lion feels a whole lot like Snow Leopard: a collection of refinements and nice, subtle improvements.

PBF
Apr 2, 2011, 01:39 PM
Is anyone able to video chat with other Yahoo users via iChat?

Mine's kept saying "video unavailable" on both ends since DP1. I thought DP2 would have this fixed by now. Bummer.

iTim314
Apr 2, 2011, 01:58 PM
Not sure if anyone has noticed this, but the kernel under Lion boots 64-bit by default. In Snow Leopard, you had to press 6+4 upon boot to use a 64-bit kernel.

celticpride678
Apr 2, 2011, 01:59 PM
Not sure if anyone has noticed this, but the kernel under Lion boots 64-bit by default. In Snow Leopard, you had to press 6+4 upon boot to use a 64-bit kernel.

Was like that in DP1 too.

Tmelon
Apr 2, 2011, 02:12 PM
You feel like it’s a new experience? So much better?

Well it's still Mac OS X so I can't call it a completely new experience. There's still a menu bar, still a dock, etc. But they've definitely made some improvements. And there's most likely still more to come in terms of speed and stability.

iTim314
Apr 2, 2011, 02:25 PM
Was like that in DP1 too.

Didn't think to look in DP1. It just hit me to look since that was always peculiar about SL.

NameUndecided
Apr 2, 2011, 04:18 PM
Is anyone else losing their toolbar buttons and address bars in the toolbar when they enter Safari into fullscreen mode? I'm getting just a solid graphite bar at the top of the screen when I go into fullscreen. Tabs aren't showing in fullscreen either. This wasn't happening in DP 1.

I've been using a keyboard shortcut to remove the toolbar altogether when I don't need it, but that doesn't affect the solid graphite bar. Right now I need to exit fullscreen if I need to use the toolbar at all, and either way I still have the hardly-useful block of graphite at the top taking up some of the screen.

Tmelon
Apr 2, 2011, 04:31 PM
Is anyone else losing their toolbar buttons and address bars in the toolbar when they enter Safari into fullscreen mode? I'm getting just a solid graphite bar at the top of the screen when I go into fullscreen. Tabs aren't showing in fullscreen either. This wasn't happening in DP 1.

I've been using a keyboard shortcut to remove the toolbar altogether when I don't need it, but that doesn't affect the solid graphite bar. Right now I need to exit fullscreen if I need to use the toolbar at all, and either way I still have the hardly-useful block of graphite at the top taking up some of the screen.

That block of graphite at the top should contain your Address bar, Back/Forward and search bar. DP2 autohides the tab bar and the favorites bar until you bring your mouse to the top of the screen. There's a screenshot of it earlier in the thread.

NameUndecided
Apr 2, 2011, 04:56 PM
That block of graphite at the top should contain your Address bar, Back/Forward and search bar. DP2 autohides the tab bar and the favorites bar until you bring your mouse to the top of the screen. There's a screenshot of it earlier in the thread.

Yeah, I'm aware that it should contain those thing. ;) It's just that mine is blank, and the option to "hide toolbar" doesn't make it go away either. (Hiding the toolbar does continue to work in non-fullscreen mode though.)

I do notice though that when I should have a tabs bar, that blank graphite bar does expand when I move the mouse to the top of the screen as you say. It's still all blank though. Clicking around on the blank toolbar also doesn't behave as if I'm clicking on buttons that just happen to be invisible. I also can't drag buttons onto the blank bar from the Customize Toolbar options and have them show up there.

Oh well. I thought it was funny and it didn't/doesn't seem like anyone else has had it happen or mentioned it. Other applications in fullscreen mode seem to work just fine.

NameUndecided
Apr 2, 2011, 05:16 PM
On a happier note -- I don't think I've seen this mentioned yet -- DP 2 seems to be taking about 1.5gb less space.

PBF
Apr 2, 2011, 05:32 PM
On a happier note -- I don't think I've seen this mentioned yet -- DP 2 seems to be taking about 1.5gb less space.
You sure? The DP2 installer is 3.7GB vs. 3.35GB of DP1.

NameUndecided
Apr 2, 2011, 05:48 PM
I noticed that I had around 15.6gb on my 25gb partition just before installing the update. Afterward I have 17.32. It could be that some settings or cache or whatever in some places have been reset. I know that my Launchpad needs to have apps placed back into it, but that couldn't take up that much space(?). Could be something else I haven't seen yet.

All that I have on the Lion partition is the OS install. Even my Home directory is pointed to that on my Snow Leopard partition.

Fraaaa
Apr 2, 2011, 07:15 PM
You sure? The DP2 installer is 3.7GB vs. 3.35GB of DP1.

Leopard requires 9GB, Snow Leopard requires 5GB, and now Lion is under 4GB?

X2468
Apr 2, 2011, 07:20 PM

Yes, it's designed to simplify and bring the computers down to the level of basic consumer electronics items. That way Apple will sell even more. All they seem to care about these days is having media events, and announcements where they spend their time bragging about how many they've sold.

NameUndecided
Apr 2, 2011, 07:49 PM

Oh my, no. That's just the size of the installer, which is compressed. Right now on the partition that I'm pretty sure that I only have the OS installed on and little to nothing else, I have 6.55gb taken up. The final version might take up even less than that.

bedifferent
Apr 2, 2011, 09:48 PM
I noticed that I had around 15.6gb on my 25gb partition just before installing the update. Afterward I have 17.32. It could be that some settings or cache or whatever in some places have been reset. I know that my Launchpad needs to have apps placed back into it, but that couldn't take up that much space(?). Could be something else I haven't seen yet.

All that I have on the Lion partition is the OS install. Even my Home directory is pointed to that on my Snow Leopard partition.

Do you have "local snapshots" on in "Time Machine"? If so, it creates a hidden folder of saved data, snapshots, and it fills up quickly. You can uncheck it, then delete the hidden folder (I think it was in my Home folder). Local snapshots is still a rough beta, they're fleshing it out still.

Galaxas0
Apr 2, 2011, 11:00 PM
In Safari, you can now change the width of a page by moving the cursor to the scrollbar and you see the little "adjust width" icon. Drag that and the width of the page decreases/increases toward the center.

PBF
Apr 2, 2011, 11:20 PM
In Safari, you can now change the width of a page by moving the cursor to the scrollbar and you see the little "adjust width" icon. Drag that and the width of the page decreases/increases toward the center.
If I understood your explanation/description correctly (which was kinda confusing), then it's been there since DP1, and it's not just the right side, it's all four sides and all four corners, and lastly, it's a system-wide feature, not just Safari's.

Galaxas0
Apr 2, 2011, 11:35 PM
Actually, I'm talking about JUST the content within the window, and only Safari Fullscreen Mode can do it. I'll post a pic...

Galaxas0
Apr 2, 2011, 11:37 PM
Here's a pic of the content width changed in Safari.

PBF
Apr 2, 2011, 11:40 PM
Actually, I'm talking about JUST the content within the window, and only Safari Fullscreen Mode can do it. I'll post a pic...
Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying. That's new. By the way, it works from both left and right sides. Neat.

:)

richard.mac
Apr 3, 2011, 12:26 AM
Recent files now show in the Dock menu of closed and open apps (not sure if this is new), clicking show recents shows them as tiles like as in DP1

Spotlight has smaller icons and Google and Wikipedia (been mentioned), but now has dictionary meanings again and the pronunciation

Directory Utility now has an editor which is like OS X Server's Workgroup Manager. presumably as Server will be included now.

- can press ctrl+up again to close Mission Control, doesnt work with ctrl-down for Exposé app windows though
- the Sites folder in home is gone (Apache and Web Sharing still there though)

overall things just seem a little quicker, animations are smoother and getting less Dock, SystemUIServer & Finder crashes. still a few crashes and UI bugs around the place.

celticpride678
Apr 3, 2011, 12:34 AM

Oh my, no. That's just the size of the installer, which is compressed. Right now on the partition that I'm pretty sure that I only have the OS installed on and little to nothing else, I have 6.55gb taken up. The final version might take up even less than that.

The reason Lion's only 3.7 GB right now is because it's an upgrade only. You can't install Lion on a clean partition right now, only upgrade from Snow Leopard.

Apple likely did this to reduce download times.

NameUndecided
Apr 3, 2011, 12:42 AM
The reason Lion's only 3.7 GB right now is because it's an upgrade only. You can't install Lion on a clean partition right now, only upgrade from Snow Leopard.

Apple likely did this to reduce download times.

??? My 25gb partition was clean and blank when I installed Lion DP 1 and I think that's the case for most others as well. I'm not sure where you heard that, if I'm understanding you correctly.

celticpride678
Apr 3, 2011, 12:51 AM
??? My 25gb partition was clean and blank when I installed Lion DP 1 and I think that's the case for most others as well. I'm not sure where you heard that, if I'm understanding you correctly.

It worked for me too on DP1. On DP2, I had to install Snow Leopard first.

NameUndecided
Apr 3, 2011, 01:01 AM
It worked for me too on DP1. On DP2, I had to install Snow Leopard first.

Ooh. Thought you were talking about the installs for both previews. I installed developer preview 2 over the first, so I didn't realize. It still doesn't sound very accurate to me.

Forgive me -- this is what I'm understanding from you:
DP1 can install onto a blank disk/partition.
DP2 can't install on a blank disk/partition. Needs to install as an update on top of DP 1 or Snow Leopard. (?)

celticpride678
Apr 3, 2011, 01:03 AM
Ooh. Thought you were talking about the installs for both previews. I installed developer preview 2 over the first, so I didn't realize. It still doesn't sound very accurate to me.

Forgive me -- this is what I'm understanding from you:
DP1 can install onto a blank disk/partition.
DP2 can't install on a blank disk/partition. Needs to install as an update on top of DP 1 or Snow Leopard. (?)

That's right (at least from my personal experience). Lion currently uses system files and services from Snow Leopard to reduce its size.

calderone
Apr 3, 2011, 01:07 AM
That's right (at least from my personal experience). Lion currently uses system files and services from Snow Leopard to reduce its size.

False. DP 2 can install directly to a blank drive/partitlon.

richard.mac
Apr 3, 2011, 01:20 AM
yeah, i installed DP2 to a blank partition. didn't want any DP1 bugginess left over

Takuro
Apr 3, 2011, 02:04 AM
Not sure if this is new to DP2, but if you go to System Preferences -> Appearance -> Sidebar icon size

You can now make the sidebar icons large, medium, or small.

Here's a preview of "large:"

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/9610/40411461.png

EDIT: This setting also affects Mail.app's sidebar icon size. It seems this is meant to act as a unified systemwide setting that multiple applications, not only finder, will rely upon.

The only real complaint I have about this feature is that "small" is 0.9x the scale of "medium," and "large" is about 4.0x the scale of "medium." In other words, "small" and "medium" are about the same size, and "large" is a big jump. Apple would have been better off to have made the three sizes a little more uniformly ranged from one another so that "medium" is a bit bigger and "small" becomes what "medium" had been.

PBF
Apr 3, 2011, 02:31 AM
Stickies contents are now scrollable. I think this was the case in DP1 as well.

PBF
Apr 3, 2011, 02:37 AM
- can press ctrl+up again to close Mission Control, doesnt work with ctrl-down for Exposé app windows though
That's because the 'control' button acts like a four-finger gesture. Same applies to ctrl+left arrow and ctrl+right arrow.

richard.mac
Apr 3, 2011, 03:19 AM
That's because the 'control' button acts like a four-finger gesture. Same applies to ctrl+left arrow and ctrl+right arrow.

yeah, but for a keyboard ctrl-up to close is how it logically should be.. and i think Apple agreed. the first time i tried it i instinctively pressed ctrl-up again to close.

anyone know if recent files in a closed app's dock menu are new? thats an awesome feature, like Windows 7's jump lists, which i really like.

mysteria
Apr 3, 2011, 03:20 AM
Fullscreen flash videos in Safari are finally without menu bar bug.

andrew.gw
Apr 3, 2011, 03:39 AM
False. DP 2 can install directly to a blank drive/partitlon.
Agreed. I installed both Developer Previews on a clean drive — you just have to burn them to a DVD.

Chundles
Apr 3, 2011, 05:04 AM
Recent files now show in the Dock menu of closed and open apps (not sure if this is new), clicking show recents shows them as tiles like as in DP1

Spotlight has smaller icons and Google and Wikipedia (been mentioned), but now has dictionary meanings again and the pronunciation

Directory Utility now has an editor which is like OS X Server's Workgroup Manager. presumably as Server will be included now.

- the Sites folder in home is gone (Apache and Web Sharing still there though)

overall things just seem a little quicker, animations are smoother and getting less Dock, SystemUIServer & Finder crashes. still a few crashes and UI bugs around the place.

If you scroll up over the icon of a closed app in the dock you see thumbnails of those recent files. Pretty cool.

andrew.gw
Apr 3, 2011, 06:30 AM
If you scroll up over the icon of a closed app in the dock you see thumbnails of those recent files. Pretty cool.
Hey, that's pretty awesome! I wish that would work with Exposé, for open applications...

KirkL
Apr 3, 2011, 07:26 AM
Stickies contents are now scrollable. I think this was the case in DP1 as well.

This will be a lifesaver for me! I hate how I have to manually resize the stickies if there's more info in them. Nice to see Apple looked at nearly everything for refinement :D

infernohellion
Apr 3, 2011, 09:18 AM
The size decrease makes sense right?

Leopard was large because it was built to be run on PPC as well (universal binary)

Snow Leopard was much smaller because it's Intel only

and now further refinement plus 64-bit only stuff (right?)

Jaster
Apr 3, 2011, 09:24 AM
What does the iOS scrollbar look like on pages with a black background?

andrew.gw
Apr 3, 2011, 10:02 AM
http://cl.ly/3W1u1A3X0K0K1w0q3N2J/ScrollBar.png

Takuro
Apr 3, 2011, 10:11 AM

That's pretty cool. It's almost like an easter egg though in the sense that it's somewhat unintuitive. I think it might be better if that popup opens when a user clicks and holds down a dock icon, like Expose had done in Snow Leopard. There seems to be some inconsistencies in how this feature works between programs at the moment, with most displaying nothing if they aren't file editors (e.g.: iTunes.app.)

Since this is considered a sort of "bonus feature" and something that developers don't necessarily rely upon to make their apps, we might not see this feature fully matured until it's demoed at WWDC. For comparison, stacks and coverflow weren't even present in developer previews of Leopard because they aren't considered crucial for app developers. Therefore, this scrolling feature in Lion, a well as mission control and a handful of other features, might see a change in functionality and rapid maturation at the WWDC.

The scrollbar stays a constant black regardless of content. It's a black semi-transparent overlay, and ontop of black backgrounds, you can just barely make out the hint of its outline (since it isn't quite solid black.)

Jaster
Apr 3, 2011, 10:15 AM
http://cl.ly/3W1u1A3X0K0K1w0q3N2J/ScrollBar.png

The scrollbar stays a constant black regardless of content. It's a black semi-transparent overlay, and ontop of black backgrounds, you can just barely make out the hint of its outline (since it isn't quite solid black.)

Ah thanks.

Hopefully Apple implements some code into the OS/Webkit that looks up what colour the background is and colours the scrollbar light/dark accordingly.

Fishrrman
Apr 3, 2011, 11:16 AM
celticpride wrote:
"It worked for me too on DP1. On DP2, I had to install Snow Leopard first."

and NameUndecided replied:
"DP2 can't install on a blank disk/partition. Needs to install as an update on top of DP 1 or Snow Leopard. (?)"

I just installed DP2 onto a blank partition on a spare disk.

What I did:
- Booted up in DP1
- Opened disk image of DP2 onto the desktop
- Launched the installer. When it prompted me for a volume to install to, I selected a blank partition
- Installed DP2 onto the blank partition (it requires a reboot after the "preparing to install phase" to get to the actual "install" -- Apple should make this clear to users during the installation process that a reboot is part of the normal installation)
- After the installer was finished, it automatically booted up to DP2 and ran the "Welcome to Mac" song. It then began the regular process of registration.
- When it asked if I wished to "migrate over" from another Mac (or volume), I choose to import everything from DP1
- After that, all is well.

Nero Wolfe
Apr 3, 2011, 12:29 PM
One thing that's been frustrating me since DP1 is that when you minimize a window into its app icon it's sort of in limbo. Mission Control won't show it, nor does app expose (at least in some apps). Swipe-up on the dock icon (is this app-expose?) does sometimes, but it's mingled with recent files. Add that to the indicator lights being gone and I could have an open app with 20 minimized windows and totally forget about it.

It's not a huge deal, I suppose, but it makes the window management seem broken. I'd hate to go back to using the old-style minimize to the right side of the dock. I never liked that because it mixed those windows with stacks and got messy, plus it stretched and shrank my already-full dock.

Anyway, anyone else bugged by this? Am i missing something? Expose is the single most important thing to me in OS X; I rely on it to greatly speed my workflow. I like mission Control but this needs to be addressed. And, yes I filed a bug report for each DP release on this.

NameUndecided
Apr 3, 2011, 01:44 PM
I am still really surprised that it seems as if nobody else has had the greyed-out toolbar in fullscreen Safari bug that I've got. Has anyone heard or read something that I haven't? I am much more looking forward to the next preview/beta build now, it suffices to say. ;)

mrapplegate
Apr 3, 2011, 01:52 PM
I am still really surprised that it seems as if nobody else has had the greyed-out toolbar in fullscreen Safari bug that I've got. Has anyone heard or read something that I haven't? I am much more looking forward to the next preview/beta build now, it suffices to say. ;)

Mine auto-hides as normal. I would file a bug report.

kftrainer
Apr 3, 2011, 05:45 PM
I have the same thing happens with my safari in full screen where you hover your mouse over the top and the menubar slide down it is a bug because it the bar serve no function right now -that definitely did happen in DP!
Although Safari has not crashed yet where it crash several time a day in DP1

Edit: I just was scrolling in full screen and Safari crashed for the first time since I used DP2

mrapplegate
Apr 3, 2011, 05:48 PM
I have the same thing happens with my safari in full screen where you hover your mouse over the top and the menubar slide down it is a bug because it the bar serve no function right now -that definitely did happen in DP!

I don't think it is a bug. It allows more screen to show when using full screen mode. The menubar re-appears when needed. Preview auto hides the menubar as when in full screen mode.

jeanlain
Apr 3, 2011, 05:49 PM
In DP2, if you QuickLook a chaptered movie, you see the chapters (with thumbnails) listed vertically in a left pane of the QuickLook window (doesn't work quite well yet).

kftrainer
Apr 3, 2011, 05:55 PM
I don't think it is a bug. It allows more screen to show when using full screen mode. The menubar re-appears when needed. Preview auto hides the menubar as well in full screen mode.

I dont know the significance of the big gray bar on top of the page where it blocks a portion of the page when the menu bar is coming out of auto hide -they could of made it semi transparent Hopefully they change that in the final release

mrapplegate
Apr 3, 2011, 06:11 PM
I dont know the significance of the big gray bar on top of the page where it blocks a portion of the page when the menu bar is coming out of auto hide -they could of made it semi transparent Hopefully they change that in the final release

I see how some might not like how it is handled. I guess my point was it was by design and is not a bug.

kftrainer
Apr 3, 2011, 06:17 PM
I see how some might not like how it is handled. I guess my point was it was by design and is not a bug.

Ok gotcha I guess it is not bad in that respect

PBF
Apr 3, 2011, 06:20 PM
^ I don't about you, guys, but is there a way to make the address bar auto-hide when in FS mode? Logically, you don't wanna see anything but page content when in FS mode, no?

mrapplegate
Apr 3, 2011, 06:28 PM
^ I don't about you, guys, but is there a way to make the address bar auto-hide when in FS mode? Logically, you don't wanna see anything but page content when in FS mode, no?

Not that I'm aware of currently, but you know that will be an extension as soon as it is released.

PBF
Apr 3, 2011, 06:52 PM
Not that I'm aware of currently, but you know that will be an extension as soon as it is released.
But why would Apple not do it my way by default??? Google did. Smart and logical of them.

mrapplegate
Apr 3, 2011, 06:58 PM
But why would Apple not do it my way by default??? Google did. Smart and logical of them.

It might very well be an option by the time it is released in the summer. Like they say it is only a preview and so much is in flux.

calderone
Apr 3, 2011, 06:59 PM

How is this logical? Just because I am in FS doesn't mean I don't want the ability to easily change what I am looking at.

PBF
Apr 3, 2011, 07:57 PM
How is this logical? Just because I am in FS doesn't mean I don't want the ability to easily change what I am looking at.
I'm sorry, but either you shouldn't be in FS mode in the first place or you must be absurd to think it's not easy to have to move your mouse all the way to the top in order to reveal the address bar.

calderone
Apr 3, 2011, 08:17 PM
I'm sorry, but either you shouldn't be in FS mode in the first place or you must be absurd to think it's not easy to have to move your mouse all the way to the top in order to reveal the address bar.

I actually hate FS mode. But I dont see much sense in hiding the address bar, an often used feature of a browser.

I personally us shortcuts to interact with the address bar, I don't want a delay in my interaction if it is hidden.

It doesn't matter though, I hate FS mode and I am absurd.

andrew.gw
Apr 3, 2011, 08:37 PM
I actually hate FS mode. But I dont see much sense in hiding the address bar, an often used feature of a browser.

I personally us shortcuts to interact with the address bar, I don't want a delay in my interaction if it is hidden.

It doesn't matter though, I hate FS mode and I am absurd.

It should be an option, at least. You can hide the toolbar in windowed mode, so you should be able to in fullscreen; I can't see Apple leaving it in its current implementation.

Tmelon
Apr 3, 2011, 08:39 PM

Edit: I just was scrolling in full screen and Safari crashed for the first time since I used DP2

I had that yesterday actually. It went away though.

calderone
Apr 3, 2011, 08:40 PM
It should be an option, at least. You can hide the toolbar in windowed mode, so you should be able to in fullscreen; I can't see Apple leaving it in its current implementation.

I can. Full screen is in large part based on the iOS, if that holds true the address bar is staying.

NameUndecided
Apr 3, 2011, 08:59 PM
In DP1, when fullscreen Safari was working proper for me, I just setup a keyboard shortcut to hide and unhide the address bar/toolbar when needed. Command+apostrophe. Not a big deal at all.

Edit: Just in case anyone doesn't know how and wants to: http://lifehacker.com/#!343328/create-a-keyboard-shortcut-for-any-menu-action-in-any-program

andrew.gw
Apr 4, 2011, 09:29 AM
I can. Full screen is in large part based on the iOS, if that holds true the address bar is staying.

That's true, but even in iOS the address bar hides when you scroll down to save space for content. In Lion DP2, Apple has implemented a nice little auto–hide for the bookmarks bar and tab bar — I just don't see why they couldn't do the same thing for the navigation bar.

It's no big deal; I probably wouldn't hide my navigation bar anyway. All I'm saying is that I think they'll make it an option.

kepner
Apr 4, 2011, 02:14 PM
That's true, but even in iOS the address bar hides when you scroll down to save space for content.

Not on the iPad.

mrblack927
Apr 4, 2011, 05:40 PM
I don't know about this whole fullscreen mode thing. The more "features" they add, the less I like it. I like to see pertinent information at a glance. I don't understand why the menu bar has to be hidden. I lose the ability to see my battery %, wifi status, even the time of day at a glance. All for what? to save 20 pixels of space? I'm sorry but if you need screen space that badly you should invest in a bigger monitor. Even the iOS devices leave the information bar at the top... :o

Just my thoughts...

ErikGrim
Apr 4, 2011, 07:25 PM
I don't know about this whole fullscreen mode thing. The more "features" they add, the less I like it. I like to see pertinent information at a glance. I don't understand why the menu bar has to be hidden. I lose the ability to see my battery %, wifi status, even the time of day at a glance. All for what? to save 20 pixels of space? I'm sorry but if you need screen space that badly you should invest in a bigger monitor. Even the iOS devices leave the information bar at the top... :o

Just my thoughts...
Then don't use full screen …? No one is forcing it on you.

I use full screen for mail on my 27". Would be useless to put Safari on FS on that size, but I can see why it would be useful on an 11" Air.

ErikGrim
Apr 4, 2011, 07:26 PM
Safari now seems to be better at registering clicks when going back and forth (using the image preview).

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Still annoying image preview (at least I've learnt to recognise them now) that you can't click before the page goes to white and then reloads. Come on apple, at least make non-interactive previews greyed out with a spinner or something (like resuming apps).

Tmelon
Apr 4, 2011, 07:34 PM
Then don't use full screen …? No one is forcing it on you.

I use full screen for mail on my 27". Would be useless to put Safari on FS on that size, but I can see why it would be useful on an 11" Air.

Similar with me. I have a 13" Macbook which really benefits from the ability to go into fullscreen. The extra screen space makes it much easier to concentrate. But when I'm at home I have it plugged into a 24" monitor I don't have a need for it.

ErikGrim
Apr 4, 2011, 07:36 PM
Click2Flash (the extension) seems to not work with a lot of Flash banners now. Especially on this forum. Anyone else get that?

chille
Apr 5, 2011, 12:12 PM
Click2Flash (the extension) seems to not work with a lot of Flash banners now. Especially on this forum. Anyone else get that?
Yup, same thing here. Really annoying when you're used to not being bothered by flash.

Although, since the fullscreen option in quicktime is gone when playing embedded h264 clips since DP1, I find myself activating flash on embedded clips. Anyone know if it's possible to activate the fullscreen button in qt player?

chille
Apr 5, 2011, 12:24 PM
In DP2, it seems that after using it for a while it uses significally more RAM than DP1. It even seems to that point where animations get laggy, like expanding folders e.g.

I discovered that the wibdow server process used over 400 mbs of RAM, but after shutting down the process and it had started up again it used about 20, which it usually does.

Also, BetterTouchTools seem to be working a lot less with DP2 compared to 1 for me. Every now and then my custom multi touch commands stop working, and the BTT needs to restart to function again. This is especially frustrating since in DP2 the LaunchPad is an independent .app, and I have assigned it to thre finger click, and removed most apps from the dock in an attempt som streamline my work flow.

All together I just love Lion, and there's no going back to SL! :)

andrew.gw
Apr 5, 2011, 05:23 PM
All together I just love Lion, and there's no going back to SL! :)

Snow Leopard feels like Windows XP to me, now. All the little UI enhancements really add–up.

bushido
Apr 6, 2011, 05:21 AM
safari is still being a biatch to me. it freezes and won't load anything if i go to pages like www.redmondpie.com and sometimes i can't type anywhere on safari unless i quit safari and reopen it, anyone have the same issues?

oh and adblocker isn't properly blocking ads anymore, i even get pop ups sometimes ... i thought those were extinct

kftrainer
Apr 6, 2011, 06:50 AM
safari is still being a biatch to me. it freezes and won't load anything if i go to pages like www.redmondpie.com and sometimes i can't type anywhere on safari unless i quit safari and reopen it, anyone have the same issues?

oh and adblocker isn't properly blocking ads anymore, i even get pop ups sometimes ... i thought those were extinct

Yes I have encountered this many times with many websites . Remember it is a beta. Some web masters need to get up to speed and update their websites to accept pages rendered on Safari 5
I might be wrong -correct me if I am wrong

Expedition
Apr 6, 2011, 07:08 AM
Two *major* bugs:

Yes, I do!
For me, TextEdit and Preview crash on launch. I suspected Dropbox 1.1.13 but killing Dropbox didn't 'cure' the crashes.

MacLuvin
Apr 6, 2011, 07:56 AM
Ok I'm using a Late 2008 MBP model, 2.4 ghz IC2D , 4gig ram. But Launchpad is lagging for me big time, when I try to scroll thru my apps for instance. and when i switch windows its not always flowing. Now I know LION still has a few miles to go before it works perfectly, however I wanna know if its the same for other developers with later MBP's or does it flow perfectly?

mrapplegate
Apr 6, 2011, 08:14 AM
Ok I'm using a Late 2008 MBP model, 2.4 ghz IC2D , 4gig ram. But Launchpad is lagging for me big time, when I try to scroll thru my apps for instance. and when i switch windows its not always flowing. Now I know LION still has a few miles to go before it works perfectly, however I wanna know if its the same for other developers with later MBP's or does it flow perfectly?

I am using a late 2010 MBP, i5, 8GB RAM and I have no lagging issues with launchpad other than a slight delay opening folders. I don't use it much so it is not a noticible issue for me. Apps scroll quickly and I am able to page left or right seamlessly.

ErikGrim
Apr 6, 2011, 08:50 AM
Yes, I do!
For me, TextEdit and Preview crash on launch. I suspected Dropbox 1.1.13 but killing Dropbox didn't 'cure' the crashes.
Not getting any of these at all.

Expedition
Apr 6, 2011, 09:10 AM
Not getting any of these at all.

I suspect that a particular application causes these crashes as this behavior only exists on one account of my machine. However, I have not been able to pin down the culprit...

Does anyone know what the following error message in the crash report may indicate?
xpchelper registration failed for sandbox candidate.: _xpc_connection_send_serializer_to_port() returns NULL

MacLuvin
Apr 6, 2011, 11:18 AM
I am using a late 2010 MBP, i5, 8GB RAM and I have no lagging issues with launchpad other than a slight delay opening folders. I don't use it much so it is not a noticible issue for me. Apps scroll quickly and I am able to page left or right seamlessly.

So when you click on the Launchpad icon everything comes up smooth and no delay/lag or doesn't act sluggish? just the opening of folders ?

There's lag for me launching launchpad and also scrolling through its pages and going/creating folders. However I do believe this will be fixed later on as it can't be that demanding to run OSX LION

Xero910
Apr 6, 2011, 11:24 AM
Hey, that's pretty awesome! I wish that would work with Exposé, for open applications...
Thats exactly what it does do. Swiping up, while hovering over an icon in the dock invokes application spotlight. Works for both running/not running apps. Quite handy. Especially since it works between desktops and even full screen apps.

mrapplegate
Apr 6, 2011, 11:36 AM
So when you click on the Launchpad icon everything comes up smooth and no delay/lag or doesn't act sluggish? just the opening of folders ?

There's lag for me launching launchpad and also scrolling through its pages and going/creating folders. However I do believe this will be fixed later on as it can't be that demanding to run OSX LION

Launchpad instantly opens for me. There is a 1/2 second or less lag when folders open and close. Moving between pages there is no delay.

Tmelon
Apr 6, 2011, 04:35 PM
I'm having major crashing problems with Lion. When editing a video in iMovie and converting it to HD it will crash right before finishing, same with editing an audio clip in Quicktime.

jeanlain
Apr 6, 2011, 05:51 PM
I can't even edit an audio clip in quicklime (10.1). This looks like a regression because Quicktime X allows trimming in 10.6.

EDIT: scratch that, I wasn't looking in the right menu. It works fine.

Tmelon
Apr 6, 2011, 09:58 PM
I've also noticed that Spotlight has been pretty screwed up. First off it's been indexing every other day which is unnecessary, and while it's indexing it will say ridiculous things like "35 hours remaining" with it finishing soon after.

I think they mean minutes. :rolleyes:

MikhailT
Apr 6, 2011, 11:05 PM
All developers reporting bugs here, please post your bugs to Apple:
https://bugreport.apple.com/

The more you guys send the reports to them, the faster Apple can fix it and get Lion more stable for the launch.

IMO, DP2 is more stable than DP1 in terms of UI interface but it still needs a lot of optimizations and I'm concerned that Apple may not have enough time. I assume DP2 is merely bug fixes for now. DP3 or DP4 should be much faster with more optimizations/refactoring after the bug fixes.

PBF
Apr 7, 2011, 04:57 AM
Very minor one: instead of the spinning wheel, now it actually says "Updating..." when, um, updating. :D

http://cl.ly/5pct/img.png

hellomoto4
Apr 7, 2011, 07:41 AM
I've also noticed that Spotlight has been pretty screwed up. First off it's been indexing every other day which is unnecessary, and while it's indexing it will say ridiculous things like "35 hours remaining" with it finishing soon after.

I think they mean minutes. :rolleyes:

Yeah often when I boot to Lion after booting to SL it'll want to index again. The first time it indexed I got an estimated time of 18 days, although it completed in maybe two hours. Now if it indexes again I'll get an estimate of around 30 hours but it would complete in ten minutes. Weird.

Xero910
Apr 7, 2011, 03:14 PM
The spotlight index bug is because a decimal point is in the wrong place.

Days = Hours
Hours = Minutes
Minutes = Seconds

Works fine, but displays incorrect format.

ajiuo
Apr 9, 2011, 07:16 PM
WOW!!! iCal looks *********g UGLY... I hope they add an option to use a standard gray toolbar area... That seems so unlike apple to do something like that.

Heh.. What if they give everything that look :). I think I would switch to windows if they did that..

Tmelon
Apr 9, 2011, 11:42 PM
WOW!!! iCal looks *********g UGLY... I hope they add an option to use a standard gray toolbar area... That seems so unlike apple to do something like that.

Heh.. What if they give everything that look :). I think I would switch to windows if they did that..

To be honest I'm starting to like the new look. It gives some variety to the normal old gray windows. I think they'll change it up a little after all of these complaints but I doubt it'll go back to grey.

PBF
Apr 10, 2011, 02:13 AM

I don't understand why everyone seems to dislike the "new" iCal so much. Clearly, it was adopted by iPad iOS at first and now by Mac OS X Lion. Nothing new here. Nothing unexpected.

I don't remember people disliking/complaining about the iCal look on iPad at all. I tell ya, people complain just for the sake of complaining. What a crowd. :rolleyes:

baryon
Apr 10, 2011, 03:42 AM
I don't understand why everyone seems to dislike the "new" iCal so much. Clearly, it was adopted by iPad iOS at first and now by Mac OS X Lion. Nothing new here. Nothing unexpected.

I don't remember people disliking/complaining about the iCal look on iPad at all. I tell ya, people complain just for the sake of complaining. What a crowd. :rolleyes:

Are you sure the iPad iCal looks the same as the Lion iCal? I'm pretty sure the iPad version is much less orange! I think that just by changing the color of the Lion version to something less fluorescent, it would be fine.

MikhailT
Apr 10, 2011, 10:35 AM

I don't remember people disliking/complaining about the iCal look on iPad at all. I tell ya, people complain just for the sake of complaining. What a crowd. :rolleyes:It doesn't look exactly the same on the iPad and an interface tuned to iOS shouldn't be used in the same away on the desktop. You can be creative with the interface controls and so on but this is too far. The colors are too distracting and much *brighter* than the one used on the iPad.

The problem that I have is that Apple seems to breaking away from their Human Interface Guidelines that every developers on the Macs platform follows. The sooner they do this, the more likely the third party apps are going to not follow it either. If every apps looks completely different, then it's going to be harder to get used to how things work on the Mac platform. Consistency is the number 1 thing that Mac OS X does successfully and if we break away from it, it's going to look ugly overnight.

I don't think people are complaining for the sake of complaining, in this case, they have a valid reason to. Not only is it look completely different, it can be distracting when you're used to all metal theme on OS X and you can't choose to disable this interface.

IMO, it's distracting, ugly and I want an option to turn this off. Otherwise, I'd just wait for a third-party app with a better interface and/or hacks to enable the *Aqua* theme.

DavidEther
Apr 10, 2011, 02:03 PM
I read about the new iCal before updating, and actually saved the old iCal from DP1 and copied it over after updating to DP2. It worked just fine, though it's interesting to note that the 'ugly' DP2 version was much smaller in size than the original DP1 version. DP1 iCal was over 40mb, while the new & ugly iCal was only around 13mb.

Oh well, I still happily sacrificed the extra space for a more usable interface.

PBF
Apr 10, 2011, 04:27 PM
I'm sorry, but unless you, guys, are suffering from some kinda severe form of ADHD, iCal's very orangey toolbar shouldn't be a distraction at all. Seriously.

Expedition
Apr 13, 2011, 04:01 AM
Yes, I do!

I have solved the problem related to crashes of TextEdit and Preview on DP2. Like I had suspected it was indeed related to Dropbox, namely the use of an alias for the Downloads folder in /users/~/. The alias pointed to the Downloads folder, which sits inside my Dropbox folder. When I replaced the alias in /users/~/ with a new folder called "Downloads", TextEdit and Preview would run without issues. So, to me it looks like that whatever is saved to in /users/~/Library/Containers/com.apple.TextEdit / cannot handle aliases.

treichert
Apr 13, 2011, 04:05 AM
I read about the new iCal before updating, and actually saved the old iCal from DP1 and copied it over after updating to DP2. It worked just fine, though it's interesting to note that the 'ugly' DP2 version was much smaller in size than the original DP1 version. DP1 iCal was over 40mb, while the new & ugly iCal was only around 13mb.

Oh well, I still happily sacrificed the extra space for a more usable interface.

How exactly was it more usable?

The only thing that changed is the color, the layout is exactly the same.

GoKyu
Apr 13, 2011, 08:52 AM

After using the iPad version of iCal, I really like the new interface too.